Mr Manships Auction Results 22-8-2012

• 7322sm.jpg

Alexander Patton

A Lil Lovin' Sometimes C/w No More Dreams

Simply the greatest Northern Soul 45 ever issued in Britain during the 60s.

Starting life as a flipside to rise up and become a Twisted Wheel anthem that still today still ignites a torrent of eager dancer to the floor when the needle drops and that dramatic intro booms in.

Shiver inducing Northern Soul presented here as the 1966 British Capitol Discotheque series.

PS do not overlooked the almost as magnificent flipside..

Sorry, this item has already been won!

The winning bid was £ 247.00

7328sm.jpg

Rudy Lambert

Love

Excruciatingly RARE Bay Area R&B Northern Soul Popcorn with a jazz injection from the Johnny Hartsman and gang.

Mr. Hartsman was perhaps the most prolific Bay Area musician for black music during the late 50s & 60s. His name appears on Jazz, Soul, Blues Doo Wop and all manner of Bay creations. This example for the Northern Soul DJis, we have no doubt his very best and rarest offering.

Click the explosive soundfile for an instant dancer to leap from the speakers and smack you right where it hurts! Moody, down & dirty groove with an inspired J.H. arrangement incorporating a rich tapestry of piano, guitar, flute& horns, expertly blended to accompany Ruby Lambert mysterious vocal style.

It's a killer ain't it...every DJ should BE scrambling for ownership.

The winning bid was £ 212.00

7318sm.jpg

Syl Johnson

Do You Know What Love Is C/w The Love I Found In You

We doubt this 45 has been played much more than once it it's lifetime!

Condition other than one very light blemish this 45 is astonishing! So now we've established this may be the finest copy on the planet, let's talk about the music.

Red label "20079"Â mix involving some of Chicago's most-prolific music-people, arranged & produced by Burgess Gardner aided by Chuck Bernard. A typically powerful Vee-Pea production that Syl Johnson's spirited vocal style fits snugly into the simplistic but contagious arrangement, punctuated by precise and very effective piano work.

A much-loved Northern Soul anthem, like all Syl's offerings, so very soulful it's hard to tire of listening to such an expressive interpretation of lyrics he consistently gives up.

But do not overlook the Carl Smith composition on the flipside, some tune this is, also.

The winning bid was £ 416.00

7325sm.jpg

Sonny Fishback

Heart Breaking Man C/w I Weon't Take Back These Words

A New Yorker for rarest-of-the-rare!

This is the CAMEO Publishing & KODEL MUSIC version.

So buckle-up your in for a roller-coaster ride on intoxicating proportions.

Growling, snapping, snarling vocal tears into a horn rippling production supported by screeching girls who are pulled into the whirlpool of stomping 60s soul. Every time Mr, Fishback takes pause for breath the Robert Banks horns explode into action.

Tell me a stronger more imposing Northern Soul stomper than this...no, we thought you couldn't - so don't miss out on this rarely-seen powerhouse.

If you do miss it - the Deep Soul flipside is just perfect for committing Harakiri to.

The winning bid was £ 714.00

Edited by JOE TORQUAY
Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

7316sm.jpg

Luther Ingram

If It's All The Same To You Babe C/w Exus Trek

CONDITION IS EVERYTHING !

This is the message coming back to us from our most-discerning customers, who are determined to seek out the finest possible examples of classic top-end Northern Soul 45s.

This is top-end, totally classic and we invite you to try and find a finer example than this, only minuscule signs of human contact, you could not dream of owning a finer copy. So near perfect!

The winning bid was £ 403.00

7323sm.jpg

Otis Brown And The Delights

Southside Chicago C/w I've Got Another

Oh so very difficult to capture, is this delicious simplistic touch of genius from Otis Brown and his purring vocal-group friends The Delights.

The elementary approach is the real attraction of this soulful beauty, the matter of fact lead vocal just strolls the "Southside"Â with the constant harmony chorus embroidering the session with layer after layer of PROPERWINDY CITY SOUL.

Few collectors in the world can boast of even handling this record let alone owning one - rare and totally gorgeous.

This copy has probably spent most of it's life on the Southside, there are surface marks but it plays superbly - sound file lifted directly off this disc. Light writing on flipside label.

The winning bid was £ 241.00

7331sm.jpg

Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels

Breakout...!!! - Stateside Album

Stupidly RARE 1966 UK press in just immaculate condition, but also carrying a story.

During the 60s every town in the UK had a pocket of MODS who religiously sought and collected the Soul played at clubs like The Twisted Wheel, Nite Owl, Mojo, etc etc. I personally joined that cult late in 1969, traveling to neighboring towns and cities seeking out anything to feed my hunger for "Soul-vinyl"Â

Dave Owen one of the Grantham Soul Boys had amassed a wonderful collection whilst his window cleaning work took him to all corners of the town. Far too often I would encounter his rubber stamp D. W. Owen on those lovely smelling brown card-poly-lined singles covers. Jealous I was, he seemed to own or have owned everything worth having.

Today Dave can still be seen at many Northern Soul events sporting his precisely polish brogues and meticulously ironed trousers & Fred Perry; and we'll talk about the good-old-days of Junk shop rummaging in Lincolnshire.

Today this extremely rare 1966 UK MONO press has memory igniting D. W.OWEN stamp on back cover, otherwise this offering is beautiful

12 tracks display Mitch Ryder and team's passion for "Soul & R&B"Â which they spewed out with defiant attitude of an extreme level. Tracks inc: Walking The Dog, In The Midnight Hour, You Get Your Kicks, Stubborn Kind Of Fellow, Breakout, etc etc.

Very, very tough to find!....unless you were a windowing cleaning MODin 1966

The winning bid was £ 66.00

7329sm.jpg

Howard Wales

Huxley's Howl

Hammond Heaven!

A jazzy funk experience with no obvious equals. For it's genre this is not only extremely problematic to capture but you'll find the hunt absolutely worthwhile.

This gorgeous looker gives up the tightest, jazziest, horniest dancer you could ever wish to meet on the dance-floor.

LOVE IT!

The winning bid was £ 111.00

Social source share

7321sm.jpg

Eddie Holland

If It's Love (it's All Right) C/w It's Not Too Late

We have listed recently the 4th. rarest Oriole Tamla Motown release.

Well her is the 3rd rarest is just breathtaking condition.

Unblemished vinyl, labels so pure there are still minuscule paper-flakes hanging on since the die-cut 4 prong dink was made 49 years ago -ASTONISHING!

Condition, Condition, Condition!

The winning bid was £ 444.00

7324sm.jpg

Velvet Satins

Nothing Can Compare To You C/w Up On The Rooftop

Some things in life are constant, you just can't fall out of love with beauty tis is Page 3 Northern Soul.

There is and never will be anything more satisfying for the Northern Soul Old-Peoples Club - than spying the eye-popping vista of the real-deal Northern Soul benchmark classic, in it's least witnessed format, strutting its stuff inside the original company sleeve.

This by the way is the finest condition copy I've seen since the heady days of the mid-70s.

The winning bid was £ 236.00

7319sm.jpg

Steve Parks

Moving In The Right Direction C/w All In A Day

1981 California studio test press of Steve Park's finest two recordings, although these two jazz/soul masterpieces exists on the highly elusive Solid Smoke 101 records, this test press we understand is one of only TWO ever made.

So if your the kinda collector who seeks 45s in not only their rarest form but also carrying assured rarity kudos. We can verify this vinyl TEST PRESSwas maneuvered away from a very reluctant label owner, as he bemoaned it was one of only TWO ever pressed as the $$'s changed hands.

Not only near unique, but also beautiful and in perfect condition!

The winning bid was £ 359.00

7320sm.jpg

Tony Troutman

What's The Use Vocal / Instrumental

Rarely seen genuine FIRST PRESS of this irresistible Atlanta soulful dance groove.

Tony Troutman's injects convincing frustration into his own composed lyrics, laying down a pleading vocal style as he asks "What's The Use"Â. But instead of these lyrics turning into dour mid-paced "begging"Â tune; the instrumentation and the inspired girl-group chorus lift this session up into one ultra-fine and totally clasy dance tune.

One that's been held up as a trophy with decades of admiration from the Soul Scholars who frequent Soul Essence, The Orwell and other thinking man's soul venues.

Tough to find on the original Atlanta press, especially in this near-perfect condition.

Sorry, this item has

The winning bid was £289

Social source share

7330sm.jpg

Blues & Soul No. 37

Blues & Soul July 2 1970

A Benchmark in the history of Northern Soul!

Includes the legendary 1 and 1/2 pages article from Dave Godin "THEUP-NORTH SOUL GROOVE"Â part 2.

Dave was the first columnist to recognize and document the mushrooming Soul Movement in the North of England, as the London scene waned and followed music fashion away from soul music to T-Rex, Status Quo etc. and other emerging rock bands.

Part one covered his pilgrimage to the Twisted Wheel. This part 2 covers the in-demand sounds of the "Blackpool Mecca"Â July 1970. Which includes reviews of rare in-demand British deleted 45s like "The Poets - She Blew A Good Thing"Â "The Incredibles - There's Nothing Else To Say"Â Bettye Swann - Make Me Yours"Â "Benny Spellman - The Word Game"Â and more

Landmark reporting on a scene that was to become the largest underground music scene in the world today..

Other articles includes Bio on THE ORIGINALS, JIMMY RUFFIN, CHUCKBERRY etc. plus all the usual interesting Record Company ads, Record reviews from an embryonic era of Northern Soul or "Up-North Soul Groove"Â as D. G. categorized it back then...

The winning bid was £ 104.00

7327sm.jpg

Apollas

Mr. Creator C/w All Sold Out

The crazy world of Northern Soul.

Whether you preferred penchant be the "Black Stock Copy"Â "The Pink Promo"Â "The English Demo"Â "The Tibetan 78rpm"Â everyone to a man who is into Northern Soul just adores the weird and wonderful releases from around the world.

So stare and adore this 33 rpm Argentinian PROMO disc. Not only utterly resplendent as it stares back at you, but also note the 33rpm allows for high fidelity deeper wider grooves. Checkout the sound-file, no tinny styrene ping with this recording, it's VINYL 33rpm and plays LOUD and clear.

Also check out the girl-group masterclass on the flip.

The winning bid was £ 174.00

7326sm.jpg

The Pips

Every Beat Of My Heart C/w Room In Your Heart

What do you buy the man who has everything?

Well most of the long-term serious Brit-vinyl-hoarders perhaps own the obvious Northern Soul DEMO's, it's only when an usual one pops up that these old-timers feel the lust of the Red N' White.

This example by the iconic gathering of the Pips with Gladys yet to make her individual mark for the credits, is the 1961 British counterpart to Vee Jay 386. A stunning-looker in the condition demanded by the serious about vinyl and labels.

Near perfect!

The winning bid was £ 60.00

Social source share

I have Blues & Soul 36&37 with parts 1&2 of the seminal Dave Godin Soul Up North articles, I will swap for a Malibu condo if anyone is interested?

Can you post a scan of the off the Dave Godin articles in a separate topic? I am sure many would love to read it

Social source share

Can you post a scan of the off the Dave Godin articles in a separate topic? I am sure many would love to read it

Will do Jim. I was looking through my other copies of B&S and I have the one where Dave Godin visited The Wheel with pics! I'm sure someone on here will recognise themselves, I'll post those too. Also in some of the issues people wrote in and named their favourite sound so again, I think people on here will be mentioned. In fact I am mentioned in one issue naming my favourite Soul sound - Ben E King's Walking In The Footsteps Of A Fool (still is!) and in a paragraph below my name, Derek Howe of Beating Rhythm lists a Dixie Nightingales track as his favourite. I've met Derek many times in B.R. but until now never knew we had a Dave Godin connection! I'll gradually post these if people would be interested?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Will do Jim. I was looking through my other copies of B&S and I have the one where Dave Godin visited The Wheel with pics! I'm sure someone on here will recognise themselves, I'll post those too. Also in some of the issues people wrote in and named their favourite sound so again, I think people on here will be mentioned. In fact I am mentioned in one issue naming my favourite Soul sound - Ben E King's Walking In The Footsteps Of A Fool (still is!) and in a paragraph below my name, Derek Howe of Beating Rhythm lists a Dixie Nightingales track as his favourite. I've met Derek many times in B.R. but until now never knew we had a Dave Godin connection! I'll gradually post these if people would be interested?

Top man I await the post!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert