Up All Night. Anybody Hear It Last Night ?

Tony A

BBC Radio five live, last nights guests, Richard Searling & Pete Roberts,

As usual Richard was his brilliant self, very good on the info, spoilt a little IMO by the BBC presenter butting in.

Some of the calls into the show where interesting and shows how different people have different recollections of the scene back in the day. :yes:

Would imagine there will be a i-player thingy of the show, but i'm not techy enough to link to it :lol:

Did anyone else hear the show ?

What did you think. :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest MBarrett

I heard it advertised at about a quarter to one last night - to come on at 1.30 a.m.

No way I could keep my eyes open so decided to listen to it today on iPlayer.

This is the link: https://www.bbc.co.uk...ght_20_08_2012/ (most likely won't work in some countries outside U.K.)

Slide forward to about 37 minutes for the start.

Just going to listen now . . . . . . . .

MB

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

saw pete roberts yesterday a he told me about it :) but having been out friday night and bury niter on saturday then moho live sunday, guess what.........?........i fell asleep and missed the blooming thing :(

Social source share

Caught the start while working last night and just listened back to it on the iPlayer. Found some interesting bits from Richard Searling and Pete Roberts but was mostly frustrated with the presenter butting in, it seemed to show a lack of any research prior to going out.

Social source share

A bit late but have been busy this week. As an insomniac I am a BBC Radio 5 `Up All Night` regular and so looked forward to last Sunday's show about Northern Soul. In my opinion the show was a uncharacteristic shambles. Richard of course saved the day with his knowledge, enthusiasm and professional approach. Dotton Adibiu, The presenter is normally excellent and good at thinking on his feet but on this occasion his researchers really let him down. The logistics were poor; Richard and Pete in Salford and Dutton in London. Dotton could not get his head around which roles each expert was picked for and typical of how the BBC have handled Northern Soul over the last 40 years, they chose re-recorded versions of tracks such as Earl Van Dyke's 6X6.

Much of the discussion revolved around the original and re-vamped Twisted Wheel Club which I enjoyed of course but the programme did little to inform the public about what NS is. Roger Eagle and the recent book about him seemed to be interpreted as the roots of NS. Roger hated the up-tempo Soul scene, Mods and pills and these did in fact inspire him to leave the Wheel.

I guess that the on-going ignorance of our national media is not such a bad thing as its constant misrepresentation and lack of understanding of NS prolongs its mystique.

Edited by Keith Rylatt
Social source share

Good mention by Ronnie McNeir for the current Sunday night music session in Detroit. Ronnie had to shoot off & curtail his contribution on the radio show as he was expected at the club to perform with his peers.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert