Insp. George Gently Does Ns

Steve G

Guest Matt Male

And before the onslaught starts.... It's just a tv programme. Live with it, at least northern is getting played on mainstream tv. Any publicity is good publicity and all that. After all....... Seven days is too long hahahaha

Actually it's been pretty good. Not bad at all.

Social source share

Nothing to do with northern, just featuring a snippet of it. More the oppression of black civilisation as it was.weve moved on. We are one, as has always been the the soul scenes culture as far as I'm concerned.

News night here we come

Steve

Lemon La Vida Loca for me. Jimmy Saville RIP LOL.....

Ian D :D

Social source share

ignoring the background northern soul theme i actually enjoyed the programme,was great to see sammy dee in loads of scenes and even trying to trade a record with the undercover copper !

jason

ignoring the background northern soul theme i actually enjoyed the programme,was great to see sammy dee in loads of scenes and even trying to trade a record with the undercover copper !

jason

Apparently Sam has been arrested for trading bootleg vinyl. . . He's in a

tiled room making a statement as we chat.

Social source share

Guest Mart B

...plus the murdered girl had a copy of Frank Wilson in her bedroom LOL.....this could be good.....

Is that the third only original Frank Wilson not discovered. or was it a boot or are there surplus copies in Newcastle? lol

Social source share

We prefer 'Inspector Frost' in this house albeit repeats....Superintendent Mullet will catch you in the end and you know it Frost! (Tickles me every time!) :yes: :D

Every single one of us were pulling it apart weren't we? How fantastically sad we all are - wouldn't change a thing about us! lol

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

I enjoyed it, quite a lot actually :D , thought Bacchus practising his dancing in the cop shop was hilarious, and I chuckled when I saw the FW. We all know it was factually incorrect, but it didn't deter from the STORY.

The programme covered the issue of Racism well, and yes, "most" of society have moved on, but that doesn't mean we should forget.

It was good seeing Sammy, and him having a talking part, albeit 7 words. Well done Sammy :thumbsup: , how could anyone refuse to trade with you.

The ending was a bit of let down, I kept changing my mind as to who had murdered Dolores (I won't divulge the ending incase some haven't seen it yet)

All in all, a good watch for a boring Sunday night :thumbsup:

Edited by Alison H
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

...plus the murdered girl had a copy of Frank Wilson in her bedroom LOL.....this could be good.....

And it was a British copy "To Boot" it appeared to have a solid black center , so Delores discovered Frank Wilson a good few years before Soussan :D Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

just watched the Breakfast interview. umm, not sure who did the research, but it is set in 1968, which surely means the term 'northern soul' (mentioned more than once in the show) was'nt even heard of back then ? . the lead guy mentions 'Born a loser' and Frank Wilson ? Both of these were discovered a good few years later.

good show normally, but i'll be elsewhere tonight me thinks

In this respect the programme really was ahead of its time! Whatever the merit of Godin's claim to have used the expression before he published it in 1970 we have to go with his written evidence ... and how we hated it! Why? Becuase we we're on the "soul scene" and didn't like being narrowed down. As I recall, even in 1972 the old wheel boys were still rejecting the term. In this respect, the banner headline over the stage "northern soul" was about 4 years ahead of its time.

Edited by a8drewson
Social source share

In this respect the programme really was ahead of its time! Whatever the merit of Godin's claim to have used the expression before he published it in 1970 we have to go with his written evidence ... and how we hated it! Why? Becuase we we're on the "soul scene" and didn't like being narrowed down. As I recall, even in 1972 the old wheel boys were still rejecting the term. In this respect, the banner headline over the stage "northern soul" was about 4 years ahead of its time.

Got to agree with you ...

..... I attended my 1st soul night in 1965 & my 1st allniter in 1966 ..... and even today, I call myself a 'soul fan'; never a NS fan.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well it covered a lot a bases , Police drama with our house kept guessing , ( I had the young black radical brother down as the killer ,feeling betrayed by his sister.) a 'snapshot ' of what NS was or might have been about. What was the reason for the post niter swimming sessions I recall at Wigan..?) outside a few dance moves achieved some credibility and most of all touched on the passion of the music and how it can provide a sanctuary for some from a mad world . The 'dance practice ' scene was hilarious. More important a reflection , with artistic licence , of the tense of anguish and pain some communities felt in the face of prejudice at that time . Whilst Powell's distorted message of hate was never going to be realised and as a country we never bought into it, there is no room for complacencyI'll leave those of you who want to witter on about the finer points to do so, but you might be missing the point and bigger picture. Soul.. born out of pain,,.. thrives on love.. Keep the Faith. Cool Notes.
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

When Tighten Up came on I was half expecting to see Soul Sam behind the decks :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great story about Frank Wilson Mike Lofthouse - these things need documenting, before everyone believes the "internet" version about Soussan discovering it in the Motown vaults - as if!! :wicked:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

There was some great TV around for the discerning viewer last night - 'Murder' (astonishing performance from Karla Crome, one of out finest upcoming actresses), 'A Touch Of Cloth' (Suranne Jones and John Hannah sending themselves up as spoof TV detectives), 'Bad Sugar' (funniest one-off comedy I've seen on TV in ages from the minds behind 'Peep Show') and, for those who want to watch something authentic from the 60s, a 'Doctor Finlay's Casebook' re-run on BBC Alba.

All that and 'Match Of The Day 2'.

Who had time to waste on George Gently?

Social source share

There was some great TV around for the discerning viewer last night - 'Murder' (astonishing performance from Karla Crome, one of out finest upcoming actresses), 'A Touch Of Cloth' (Suranne Jones and John Hannah sending themselves up as spoof TV detectives), 'Bad Sugar' (funniest one-off comedy I've seen on TV in ages from the minds behind 'Peep Show') and, for those who want to watch something authentic from the 60s, a 'Doctor Finlay's Casebook' re-run on BBC Alba.

All that and 'Match Of The Day 2'.

Who had time to waste on George Gently?

That's what you've got your betamax for Tony :)

Social source share

came in pished from the edinburgh festival enjoyed all my drink but im afraid inspector George was evan worse than "Soul Boy" cliched in the all departments ! It was heartbeat part two !

Social source share

................ BACK ON TOPIC ................

BBC Breakfast Time is doing a promo piece on the TV show this morning at 8.45 and during this they are showing clips from this episode of the show.

In this episode, you get to see Gently's sidekick Detective Sergeant John Bacchus showing off his record collection.

By all accounts, he says that he bought all his best 45's (Including Dean Parrish) from Kegsy.

You would have thought they could have given Kegsy a cameo role in this episode; he could have played a time ravaged 'down & out' living rough on the street outside the NS club featured in the show.

I cant believe you didnt spot me in the programme, I played the hooker who was in the van,

that knocked Delores down. As you may or may not know I was a well known cross dresser at the Torch,

it confused the shit out of the squad and you could stash a boatload of Red & Browns in a 38 D cup bra.

Kegsy

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

I cant believe you didnt spot me in the programme, I played the hooker who was in the van,

that knocked Delores down. As you may or may not know I was a well known cross dresser at the Torch,

it confused the shit out of the squad and you could stash a boatload of Red & Browns in a 38 D cup bra.

Kegsy

fluxin brill, you've just put a smile on my kisser on this crap damp squid of a bank hol :D:unsure:

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

Kegsy

hey kegsy dont forget i am your pimp, so you betta tip your earnings up......................
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

I've got some six inch stilettoes some come on

and try if you want your Skull Snapped.

Kegsy

I've got some six inch stilettoes some come on

and try if you want your Skull Snapped.

Kegsy

lol brilliant and i do walk with a limp, cos i am waiting for a new hip Edited by mickeyfish58
Social source share

fluxin brill, you've just put a smile on my kisser on this crap damp squid of a bank hol :D:unsure:

There were a few drawbacks to Cross Dressing however, like

that night at Va Vas when Cream & Turner from the Manc squad tried to

spit roast me.

Kegsy

• Helpful 2
Social source share

There were a few drawbacks to Cross Dressing however, like

that night at Va Vas when Cream & Turner from the Manc squad tried to

spit roast me.

Kegsy

Another drawback was Julian Bentley always wanting

to borrow my lippy and try my latest high heels on.

Kegsy

Social source share

Watched it on catch up this am, looking for inaccuracies as was everyone.

Since its on BBC everything must be true !!! :yes:

:g: Now frantically seeking a UK copy of Don Ray :g:

Wonder who got the box of records he went home without - Always doing that.

Social source share

Don Ray for ten bob!!.....she should have snapped his hand off

What was the Four Tops track played? It was on when the undercover cop was at the bar.....must have been a recent 'unissued' thing surely as it was a new one on me.

I was thinking the very same...........trying my best to listen to Levi`s vocals and figure out the track. :g:
Social source share

Can someone recommend Kegsy to Betty (the one who lives in all them palaces) for a gong please ...........

.......... for services to soul .... drug education ....... and Ohh yes ..... comedy.

What do you mean comedy, every word i ever utter is the truth the whole truth

and nothing but the truth Mi Lud.

kegsy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!