Inspirations Question

Dobber

hi gang,just been listening to the inspirations-no one else can take your place- on youtube,i was listening to the version that is on the breakthrough bootleg,but then i listened to another version on breakthrough,the backing music was the same,but the vocal was different,i always thought that the ultra rare copy was the same record as the boot,but obviously original! so why is there 2 versions with the same backing and group name on the same label?

Social source share

i also prefer the remake,but now ive listened to the other version,that is growing on me,i wonder if i will start to prefer the original version just because its rarer and more exspensive,because if im honest i have been guilty of liking a record just because its expensive...how shallow and stupid is that!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The original, which I think is one sided, is a totally different take to the reissue., which people say was a re-recording. Both are brilliant in my opinion, I prefer the "remake" myself.

Yes, the Original is single sided, plain white label on the flip.

Social source share

Think this has been done before,but my guess is 6 original copies.Dobber,there's an archived thread hidden away on here somewhere,with if i remember correctly,some input from Joey Jefferson on how the Pink came about.

The Pink Breakthrough came via the Mecca/Clee influence,and as you said,most looked on them as boots.

Social source share

Technically, the 1977 pink Breakthrough is a legitimate 'tailor-made' cover version. Albeit an extremely close cover, as most of the re-recording shares the same production team, but with Charles Diamond taking the lead instead of Johnny Hendley.

An interesting point of detail, which most people overlook, is that the two records have different titles.

Original version of the song is called 'No One ELSE Can Take Your Place'.

Charles Diamond version is called 'No One Can Take Your Place'.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The 1977 press with different vox isn't a bootleg btw

The 1977 press with different vox isn't a bootleg btw

thank you for that. sometimes unimformed posts or 'guesswork' posts can sometimes muddy the water

Social source share

Technically, the 1977 pink Breakthrough is a legitimate 'tailor-made' cover version. Albeit an extremely close cover, as most of the re-recording shares the same production team, but with Charles Diamond taking the lead instead of Johnny Hendley.

An interesting point of detail, which most people overlook, is that the two records have different titles.

Original version of the song is called 'No One ELSE Can Take Your Place'.

Charles Diamond version is called 'No One Can Take Your Place'.

I know they were buddies but that doesn't sound like John Hendley to me.

Social source share

See these previous threads

All I will add is that I subsequently spoke to Charles Perry/Diamond who confirmed that he did go back into the studio, in 77, to do a vocal over the original band track ... therefore my suggestion that it was one of the previously unreleased other male lead versions was incorrect

Andy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!