Would Anyone Like To Help The Lazy Stupido Americano? :)

No.

:D It's probably much easier if you go to Youtube yourself and type in Northern Soul as a search term. You'll get a mixture of results, but as nobody on this site would agree what defines a Northern Soul record, you'll have to make your own mind up as to whether things fall into the category.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

it''s a keyword that ahole sellers put on their ebay items that allows them to rip me off by listing country records and hard rock records in the soul category.

:yes:

Mind you Bob, many a Northern DJ over here playing country and hard rock records anyway!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

With a name like yours (opening poster). I would recommend trying to find some Roy Hamilton stuff. I believe he was one of Elvis' favourite singers. Despite what Len says :P Try You Tube. He's crackin' up in his old age.

Social source share

With a name like yours (opening poster). I would recommend trying to find some Roy Hamilton stuff. I believe he was one of Elvis' favourite singers. Despite what Len says :P Try You Tube. He's crackin' up in his old age.

:D Ok, ok, try Youtube 'Northern Soul All-nighters 1980's' - It's far more palletable! lol

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

it''s a keyword that ahole sellers put on their ebay items that allows them to rip me off by listing country records and hard rock records in the soul category.

Sellers like that should put sound clips on their sales. Then again, all you'd hear is the sound of a barrel being scraped........

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Inspired by watching a few videos in the " discoveries 6ts/ 7ts thread", I would love if a few ( or more) videos could be linked hear to give me a morsel of a hint of a clue as to what's "northern soul". Very, very appreciated- m

Terminally, most people who might have something decent to say about the origins and development of what became known as 'Northern Soul' are now at the "grumpy old men" phase of life - as you can see from the replies here.

Sorry about that.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Terminally, most people who might have something decent to say about the origins and development of what became known as 'Northern Soul' are now at the "grumpy old men" phase of life - as you can see from the replies here.

Sorry about that.

I'm not old but I am grumpy. However, I am specifically tired of people ripping me off on ebay with the keyword.

Social source share

I dread to think how bad you'll be when you are old!

In the meantime, I'd like to recommend two books to elvisluvs. The first is "Boogaloo" by Arthur Kempton. The second is "The In Crowd, Vol1" by Mike Ritson & Stuart russell.

The first is a brave, ambitious, detailed, but at times a somewhat confusingly written history of the development of 'Black' music from the age of Gospel through Soul and beyond.

The second is an equally brave and ambitious attempt at putting into words the effect that very same 'black' music had on the (mainly white) youth of Britain from the 1950s, the 60s, and the evolution of what very loosely is "Northern Soul". It's a subjective and highly personalised affair, but it does a good enough job in my view simply because 'Northern Soul" is exactly that - subjective and highly personalised.

Another great book to help put the black music of the 60s into a mainstream cultural context (for me at any rate) is "Burn, Baby! Burn!" the autobiography of US radio DJ legend, music promoter, black culture champion - Magnificent Montague. Now, there's a story worth reading...

Social source share

Inspired by watching a few videos in the " discoveries 6ts/ 7ts thread", I would love if a few ( or more) videos could be linked hear to give me a morsel of a hint of a clue as to what's "northern soul". Very, very appreciated- m

If you can do that funny little dance to it, it's Northern Soul.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

While the original question is a valid question, part of the issue is that people see "northern soul" and then dollar signs get in their eyes and they hear that "cha-ching" noise and they think "how can I sell 'northern soul'?" If someone signs up to the site to try to find if they have a valuable record and then asks the question, it comes across that way to me. Sorry elvisluvs if I got your motivation wrong, but that's too often people's motivation. I don't think there's some country message board where people are singing up all the time asking "what is western swing?"

Social source share

Elvisluvs - this is "Northern Soul" today. Well, it is here... it's the grumpy old men...

Please, please... let someone with a real understanding of "Northern Soul" as a youth cult pass by here soon so the OP can be enlightened.

one thing that I like to do when I don't know anything about a particular subject is google it and see if there is some sort of overview somewhere. For example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_soul

Social source share

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost-

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I"”

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/////----/--////

The passion here for the music is amazing. I was hoping for insight with appreciation of the music.

Thanks for the lively discussion and helpful suggestions-m

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!