Lorraine Chandler Yvonne Baker Question

Steve G

I might be being a bit slow here, or might have forgotten.....

But why does everyone say "I can't change" by Yvonne Baker was a 1964 release, when Lorraine Chandler who did the original didn't get it released on RCA until early 67?

Surely that puts the Junior release out to 67 as well I would have thought or am I missing something?

STeve

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I might be being a bit slow here, or might have forgotten.....

But why does everyone say "I can't change" by Yvonne Baker was a 1964 release, when Lorraine Chandler who did the original didn't get it released on RCA until early 67?

Surely that puts the Junior release out to 67 as well I would have thought or am I missing something?

STeve

Never heard of it being from 64 (where they still with Chess then?), sounds 65-66 and the second release of it is 67.

Social source share

Tricky one as the solo release is a bit of a one-off number in the Junior catalogue. Defo later than 64 as the earlier numbers are mainly 65. Another earlier number is definitely at least 67 so I'd guess it would be around then.

The one billed as the Sensations is very probably 1965 and i think that is the original version of the song and sounds earlier. The flip was the Mend The Torn Pieces that Lorraine also did for Pied Piper at the same time as I Can't Change so my feeling is now that Jack Ashford and the team were re-working the songs on Lorraine that they had first cut in Philly for RCA in Detroit/Chicago in 1967.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just found a Junior label listing that puts the first one as 66 and the second one as 67. That makes more sense I think? But the Junior numbering and release dates are a bit confusing - some Philly afficianado needs to sort it out :lol:

Dave Moore probably already has ... as part of his book project.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert