Mr Manships Auction Results 15-8-2012

7307sm.jpg

Norma Jenkins

His Love Is Amazing

Original 1966 studio acetate only take of the Robert Bateman, Ronnie Moseley & Jimmy Wicks composition, we presume George Kerr is guiding Norma Jenkins's earth-shaking vocal through this superior meaty version.

Intro drum-roll is joined by an acute echoing girl-group chorus rolling out a vibrant path for Norma to stride through. Wow this lady can sing, pitching her expressive vocal with a controlled back-of-the-throat with sex-appeal.

Strong drum & girl-group drop down a pace in a midway break, that makes for perfect Northern Soul...

UNIQUE ONE-OFF DISC - we are told.

Sorry, this item has already been won!

The winning bid was £ 361.00

7305sm.jpg

Vikki Styles

The Teardrops Won't Stop Falling

Vikki Williams & Reginald Hines project from Greensville, Mississppi draws from almost every note of the timeless Darrel Banks - Open The door To Your Heart - but managing to achieve it's own identity, through primitive horn work and Vikki Williams's open-wound vocal style.

One of those local-creations that pierce your heart, as you imagine everyone involved in this low-budget session of pain, living in the hope of some reward.

This is street-level Northern Soul at it's purest, blatant plagiarism of a magnificent classic and coming through with an irresistible testament of soulful-sorcery, all of it's own.

The winning bid was £ 513.00

7309sm.jpg

Jimmy Helms

Romeo And Juliet

First played on the Northern Soul scene amazingly in the late 90s after two decades of concealment since it's failed release in 1974, and to this day still extremely hard to find.

Jimmy exhibits all silky masculine vocal qualities that gave him a huge following from his Symbol & Oracle recordings. Like many soul artists in the early 70s England was an opportunity to relaunch soul acts careers, in 1972 Jimmy hit the charts @ # 8 with his wonderful UK crafted "Gonna Make You An Offer You Refuse"Â

Johnny Worth his producer on that hit and this miserable-miss unwittingly created a a fabulous British production that Jimmy Helms's experienced vocal just slips into perfectly.

Killer and rare UK produced Northern Soul in it's rarest form - an immaculate 1974 DEMO. Listen and melt....

The winning bid was £ 177.00

7303sm.jpg

Willie Jones

Where's My Money C/w Don't Leave Me

Hey! Where's my money!

Defiant, angry, potent and pleading slab of New York R&B from that prolificEMBEE team.

A floor-shaker with few equals, pumping brass is soothed by a penetrative girls squealing away in the back, they are then joined by the guys in the room. Willie's acute vocal spits the lyrics perfectly, the horn players so nearly steal the show, until a crazed saxophonist jumps and tops the lot!

Totally awesome R&B Northern Soul.....leaving you most probably out of breath so the flipside, more in keeping with the usual EMBEE creation is there to soothe you...

The winning bid was £ 262.00

Social source share

7299sm.jpg

Dave Charles

Ain't Gonna Cry No More

Strap yourself in - Dave Charles is about to take you a horn-fueled journey into Northern Soul gymnastics.

A temperamental vocal has had enough of crying, instead he goes to war with a horn section that provide the perfect stage for Dave to let his anger rip loose..

This is proper-back-drop Northern Soul of the very rarest kind...

The winning bid was £ 556.00

7311sm.jpg

Innersection

Let Me Love Yuh C/w I'm In Debt To You

Like you need to be told this 70s Memphis born 45 offers two of the most-fantastic examples of vocal-group dance soul ever made... no, you knew that already.

So let me eulogize about the flawless condition and the rare-beauty of the yellow and red STOCK copy.

Click the soundfile, and your day will be made so much better...

The winning bid was £ 555.00

7308sm.jpg

Jocelyn Brown

If I Can't Have Your Love

There are times when listening to music something hits you in a way that you've not felt in quite some time.

This has just happened to me, because not lately have I rekindle a romance so deeply as I have with this divine soulful-stepper. Jocelyn could not have made this mid-paced delight any sweeter, every delicious word is honeyed by this temptress of soul.

Shrill girl group, strings and softly prompting horns cradle Ms. Brown's plea lifting this session into a class all of it's own!

The winning bid was £ 459.00

7315sm.jpg

Blues & Soul

Blues & Soul # 15 December 1968

For whatever reason we're no quite sure - but this seems to be the very most-difficult to acquire in the A5 format series of first issues - underlined by the fact we have never ever had one for sale before.

Joe Simon is front cover & main inside bio. Full center-page-spread black &white of Aretha Franklin. Chris Bartley bio by John E. Abbey. The Curtis Mayfield story + a unique and complete Jerry Butler discography to date 1968. Inside back cover is a full length black n' White of Dee Dee Warwick.

But for me the most gratifying aspect of the release is the stunning Record Label adverts - see the ACTION advert page incorporated in scan. Also Beacon & Toast take out ads to make soul-collectors aware of their latest product, as do EMI & Tamla Motown.

The winning bid was £ 79.00

Social source share

7317sm.jpg

Third Guitar Featuring Eddie Holloway

Baby Don't Cry C/w Don't Take Your Love From Me

Dream condition for this rare Deep Funker of huge repute.

Jack Taylor & Bob Gallo's New York label serviced the soul fan with all styles of our music and today stands as one of not only most-attractive in design but also output.

Before you is the mighty Funker with a enviable rank as the labels most wanted release, clicking the sound-file unleashes a compelling hard-on Funk dancer. Flip it over, to once again hear Eddie Holloway in fine voice with an imploring Deep Soul crawl Otis himself would have been proud of.

Two spectacular examples of two very-important soul genres on one very rare disc.

The winning bid was £ 211.00

7314sm.jpg

Sandra Philips

I Wish I Had Known C/w Hoping You'll Come Back

Time to file away your Sandi Sheldon and take a long, long look at an outrageously good Northern Soul double hitter that has lived in the shadows of Sandi and friends for far too long.

Consider these points - every inch as rare as any Okeh Northern Soul trophy you care to mention. Unlike all the others, this 45 has never been re-issued or bootlegged.

So take a New York based Diva and introduce her to Detroit. Mike Terry offers up a Fred Bridges, Robert Eaton & Richard Knight Knight creation and produces it himself. The result is sooooooooooo fantastic, it beggars belief this has not long been considered a Northern Soul classic.

Flip it over Mike Terry is still @ the controls, this time with a Ken Williams &Fred Sturm writing. M T again takes time and precision to guide Sandra's monumental vocal through BEAT BALLAD HEAVEN.

To reiterate - two killers that have lived in the shadows of the over-played greats for far too long, don't you agree.

The winning bid was £ 315.00

7313sm.jpg

Bessie Banks

Go Now

Universally recognized in England during the mid 60s as the ultimate record to finish the night with. That's why Dave Godin in 1968 was so eager to re-issue it very early on in the Soul City series.

Before you today though, is a very different calibre of disc. This the 1964 UKRed Bird Demo, the ultimate representation of this timeless tune.

Totally pristine condition throughout not even the compulsory "Pye"Â date stamp on the label. This is the finest copy I think I've ever encountered.

Click the soundfile and enjoy a unforgettable Larry Banks & Milton Bennett composition, roared by a Soul-Diva that recorded far too few times.

The winning bid was £ 84.00

7312sm.jpg

Willie Mabon

Got To Have Some C/w Why Did It Happen To Me

Rescued after sitting 38 years in a huge DJ box in an attic, years before that this 45 witnessed the coming and goings of the patrons of the notoriousBLIND BEGGARS PUB on Whitechapel Rd,London E1 1BU.

This copy of one of SUE's least-seen 45's is PRISTINE - perfect labels and vinyl. It will arrive with you inside the sleeve it was filed in circa 1966. So you can sniff the history that surrounded this 7"Â and the burgeoning Soul Scene that came to life every weekend in most every club and pub during the 6Os in London.

A historical 45 but more importantly a perfect copy and a darn hard # to secure in this Britain's most-wanted label.

The winning bid was £ 55.00

Edited by JOE TORQUAY
Social source share

7306sm.jpg

Wynder K. Frog

Out Of The Frying Pan

What were the hippest British MODS in 1968 listing to...some certainly were chattering they had heard, what was without question the finest British produced hammond album to date.

Although as the USA United Artists release, owning this groundbreaking album is achievable. But as this STEREO 1968 original British release, this is an extremely elusive platter, indeed.

This Lancashire Soul oriented gathering lead by Mick Weaver backed many Island artists on tour and studio Jackie Edwards, Traffic etc. In fact Mick replaced Stevie Winwood in the "Traffic"Â line-up such was his Hammond B3 organ reputation.

Check out this 13 track rarity to witness 1968 Brit-R&B influenced instrumentals which of course includes "Green Door"Â + explosive non-45 dancers like "Willie And the Hand Jive"Â "Bad Eye"Â "High Heel Sneakers"Â etc.

Pink Island label addicts will appreciate just how hard this lp is to acquire.

Vinyl reveals only a few light surface marks in strong light, Laminate cover is free of tears, stains or writing. Front cover has a light crease top right (see scan).

An historic landmark in the British appreciation & interpretation of R&B.

The winning bid was £ 60.00

7304sm.jpg

Art Freeman

Slippin' Around With You C/w I Can't Get Ou Out Of My Mind

and how good-looking are you..!

A beautiful Black stock copy sporting that iconic-arty multi-coloured FAMElogo. It's the only way for USA soul 45 gatherers to own it for more reasons that one.

The white promo copy has been counterfeited in the vinyl format with awfully poor sound quality. This is an easily identified classic original Northern Soul 7"Â with an eye-catching stylish design. Play it out, like I did some weeks back within a Twisted Wheel or any oldies set, the power from the grooves is ear-shatteringly moving.

What a potent-production, as Rick Hall gets his staff into top gear punching their full weight behind this Dan Penn & Linden Oldham masterpiece.

So very classic dance-inducing Northern Soul in just immaculate condition..

The winning bid was £ 118.00

7310sm.jpg

Al Gardner

Sweet Baby C/w I Can't Stand It

This Detroit Northern Soul master-class will need little comment.

For the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Northern Soul perfection freaks, this French 45 will have already caught your critical stare.

So note the card picture sleeve re-order tag is still attached and secure, sleeve itself is flawless. Grease-proof inner sleeve is still wrapped around this near perfect disc - we doubt this package has had any more than a cursory play or two since the one-owner only collector purchased it back in 1970s.

The highly descriptive back cover informs us Jack Ashford was on Piano &Tambourin, James Pavlack on Guitar, Mike Oposki on Bass, Al Gordon on drums & the Ebonies providing the background vocal choruses.

Both sides of awesome Motor City Soul and the scan just says it all doesn't it!

The winning bid was £ 108.00

Social source share

Guest john s

The Third Guitar - Baby Don't Cry is a "breaks" track . Nothing like as good as their Lovin Lies/ Sad Girl which can be got for £20.

I beg to disagree with you, 'Baby don't cry' is a killer funk tune, in demand for years, which appears to have sold remarkably cheaply.

Must check the auctions more regularly!

Social source share

The Third Guitar - Baby Don't Cry is a "breaks" track . Nothing like as good as their Lovin Lies/ Sad Girl which can be got for £20.

We usually have similar tastes mate but this time this is right â" “

I beg to disagree with you, 'Baby don't cry' is a killer funk tune, in demand for years, which appears to have sold remarkably cheaply.

Must check the auctions more regularly!

Social source share

i thought "eulogize" only applied to people that had died or things that were gone but I just looked it up and it can just be used to praise something absent the context of death. So this auction has not only taught me about records but has also taught me additional nuances of the english language. Thanks!

Social source share

We usually have similar tastes mate but this time this is right â" “

Don't get me wrong, I do quite like Baby Don't Cry and know it's collectable/valuable having searched Popsike, but I just think it's quite derivitive whereas their earlier Lovin Lies is a bit of an oddity I feel with the " dub " sounding echoes on the vocals and the breakdown to kick drum, snare and vocals in the middle which I think was quite unusual for the period ( 1968 ). I do confess to having recently come across The Third Guitar and buying Lovin Lies, inexpensively.

Social source share

i thought "eulogize" only applied to people that had died or things that were gone but I just looked it up and it can just be used to praise something absent the context of death. So this auction has not only taught me about records but has also taught me additional nuances of the english language. Thanks!

Manship and his staff can use whatever words they want for their overblown descriptions as long as the descriptions are at least near grammatical correctness. I still get horrible headaches whenever I have to read "... song was wrote by ..."

Social source share

Manship and his staff can use whatever words they want for their overblown descriptions as long as the descriptions are at least near grammatical correctness. I still get horrible headaches whenever I have to read "... song was wrote by ..."

Aww, I rather look forward to the cornucopia of errata that are Manny's descriptions - it wouldn't be the same without them :wink:

Perhaps if he'd concentrated more on his grammar and spelling at school and less on the arse of the geography mistress, then he might have become a real force in UK record dealing :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Aww, I rather look forward to the cornucopia of errata that are Manny's descriptions - it wouldn't be the same without them :wink:

Perhaps if he'd concentrated more on his grammar and spelling at school and less on the arse of the geography mistress, then he might have become a real force in UK record dealing :lol:

My geography mistress's arse had a tendency to block out most of the blackboard........... :lol:

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!