The Non Uk Soul Scene

Having a healthy scene over here in Germany and travelling quite a lot I´d be interested in hearing about the scene in other countries.

History, playlists, personals, stories, pics or whatever you can contribute much appreciated....

Tia

great question, hopefully be a few answers,im interested too

jason

Social source share

Having a healthy scene over here in Germany and travelling quite a lot I´d be interested in hearing about the scene in other countries.

History, playlists, personals, stories, pics or whatever you can contribute much appreciated....

Tia

:hatsoff2: HI Tia if there is anything that I can help you with, as I have been around for 45 years on the SOUL SCENE, PLE :hatsoff2: ASE DO NOT HESSATATE, :thumbsup: My fee is well worth the in-depth knowledge I can offer you :ohmy: DAVE
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

In the Netherlands there is only one dedicated 'Northern Soul' night - the Amsterdam Soul Club, which plays a bit of everything.

There are numerous other nights across the country and these are typically cross-genre events offering a mix of soul, ska/reggae, R&B, garage in varying degrees.

One thing that became very quickly apparent when I moved to near Amsterdam from London five years ago is that the majority of punters attending Northern Soul nights, or indeed even mixed genre nights, are not what you might call lifestyle fans - they're basically just people off the street who go to a club for a good time.

The exception is the ska/reggae scene. The Netherlands has a far bigger ska/reggae culture than it does Northern Soul.

Having said that, there are quite a number of very serious and knowledgable soul collectors - Hans and Harry of Fingerpoppin' Soul fame immediately spring to mind. The distinction here is that these people are soul collectors, not Northern Soul collectors.

Very few here suffer from genre-specific tunnel vision. As an example, in a couple of weeks an event takes place in Amsterdam called "Mods versus Rockers". This is an event where both broad churches come together and share their musical and cultural passions. Scooters will be parked alongside classic motorbikes.

Eindoven is home to the Endless Memories events. They organise regular cross-genre nights that includes Northern Soul. They're holding a weekender in October, a ska/reggae specific affair.

All-in-all, it's a mixed bag...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

In the Netherlands there is only one dedicated 'Northern Soul' night - the Amsterdam Soul Club, which plays a bit of everything.

There are numerous other nights across the country and these are typically cross-genre events offering a mix of soul, ska/reggae, R&B, garage in varying degrees.

One thing that became very quickly apparent when I moved to near Amsterdam from London five years ago is that the majority of punters attending Northern Soul nights, or indeed even mixed genre nights, are not what you might call lifestyle fans - they're basically just people off the street who go to a club for a good time.

The exception is the ska/reggae scene. The Netherlands has a far bigger ska/reggae culture than it does Northern Soul.

Having said that, there are quite a number of very serious and knowledgable soul collectors - Hans and Harry of Fingerpoppin' Soul fame immediately spring to mind. The distinction here is that these people are soul collectors, not Northern Soul collectors.

Very few here suffer from genre-specific tunnel vision. As an example, in a couple of weeks an event takes place in Amsterdam called "Mods versus Rockers". This is an event where both broad churches come together and share their musical and cultural passions. Scooters will be parked alongside classic motorbikes.

Eindoven is home to the Endless Memories events. They organise regular cross-genre nights that includes Northern Soul. They're holding a weekender in October, a ska/reggae specific affair.

All-in-all, it's a mixed bag...

That's true for me, as well. I've always collected ALL types of Soul music, as well as R&B, Blues, Gospel and Jazz. Of course, I started collecting before there was "Northern Soul", or even "Soul Music", and even before there were Elvis Presley Sun Records.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The scene in Yorkshire (since declaring UDI) is extremely healthy! :wink:

Joking apart, I'd be very interested in hearing about scenes that grew in parallel to the UK variant, without them necessarily being aware of or influenced by the UK Soul / Collecting or 'Northern' scene, either in its heyday or in recent times.

I was always aware of a Soul fan culture (particularly Southern) in Holland, Belgium and Japan, for the past 40 odd years, but would like to know more about these and others.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

There is quite a thriving scene over in Spain, I believe - regular weekenders and nighters - Euro Ye Ye in August, Valencia in September and Bilbao in October plus regular clubs like the Boiler, Movin' On etc.

There sees to be a hardcore who will attend all these events and travel abroad as well (I have friends from the Basque country who I first met at Hipshaker on the Isle of Whight with thier scooters and then again at Valencia, who are coming over to the uk for a weekender in Brighton).

Most seem to be 'younger' into the Mod/Skinhead look and are friendly and welcoming.

The events range from 100% Northern, R&B (Boiler) or more Modern (Movin' On) and they seem happy to embrace all these genres. I missed a nighter in Madrid as well (I happened to over for work in Bilbao but my friends advised me not to go on to Madrid as it would be completely sold out and packed to the rafters.

They certainly throw themselves into the nights I have been to, dancing from the moment they get in right to the end - they all seem to know the tunes as well (even though they are young lol).

There also is a hardcore of 'proper' OVO DJ's out there who know how to put a set together - At the last Valencia weekender, guests were Mick H, Adi Croasdale, Marc Forrest and John Parker but the three locals Dani Herranz, Albert Petit and Sergio Vivas (I think), more than held their own with these guys.

There are other nights in Spain as well - Mojacar etc but I've not been, so not sure.

There is also a scene in Italy with All Nighters in Rome and a regular club in Pisa - I've not gone over yet but was really impressed with an Italian DJ Barbara Grossi (at least I think she's Italian) - cracking tunes - I would guess there's more Mod/Scooter stuff going on over there.

Sorry I dont know much of the history I'm afraid, but get yourself over there!

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by DaveKD
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Joking apart, I'd be very interested in hearing about scenes that grew in parallel to the UK variant, without them necessarily being aware of or influenced by the UK Soul / Collecting or 'Northern' scene, either in its heyday or in recent times.

I was always aware of a Soul fan culture (particularly Southern) in Holland, Belgium and Japan, for the past 40 odd years, but would like to know more about these and others.

Sean

I thought you were Derbyshire Sean?

Social source share

Here's a couple I'm at in the next month, One in Italy and one in Norway. So as you can see things are very healthy in europe.

As well as this there is the Fantastic Hamburg weekend in October and The 'Movin' On weekender in December, both of these have DJ's like Butch and Lars, with the addition of Soul Sam & Malayka in Spain, and Marc Forrest in Hamburg

post-3008-0-80670400-1345141031_thumb.jp

post-3008-0-26624700-1345141126_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Since I got a 'popular' star - the first one I probably received, thanks! - here's a playlist as I mentioned for one of our Seattle soul nights

Louis Paul - the change would do you good

Hollywood Flames - dance senorita

Inmates - this is the day

Arter Set - sermon

Mike Mann Outfit - twice as much on sunday

Gwen and Ray - build your house on a strong foundation

Marlene and the Debanettes - earthquake

Dave Brady and Stars - riding high

Servicemen - sweet magic

Gloria and T-airas - i'm satisfied

Lou Ragland - I travel alone

Rotations - trying to make you my own

Pat Powdrill - do it

Youngblood Smith - you can split

Temptones - girl I love you

Carl Holmes - soul dance no 3

R Dean Taylor - ghost in the house

Fred and the Turbins - Bernadine

Harvey Averne Dozen - never learned to dance

Action - i'll keep holding on

Willie Kendrick - change your ways

Dave Charles - ain't gonna cry no more

Clarence Reid - i'm your yes man

Bill Bush - I'm waiting

Gentlemen Four - you can't keep a good man down

Ray Scott - right now

Dynamics - i need your love

all originals including the Action on a UK Parlophone 45...

There are two other dance nights in Seattle, one that is mainly funk and boogie/modern (OVO) called Dug and it's very popular as well and one that is a mix of top 40 hits and some obscuties, this one is not OVO but it's still a good gateway into the other dance nights as some of the DJs from the aforementioned events including me play guest slots there.

Portland, OR has a sucessful and long running soul night that is more in the style of US east coast night where hard soul, funk, R&B are more prominent than Northern.

Edited by George G
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Also well worth a mention is Brad & Breck's, Ann Arbor Soul Club nights, just outside Detroit. First Saturday of the month, at the Blind Pig in downtown. Usually gets between, 150-300 in depending on term time (Collage town). They have guest DJ's from all over the U.S., plus the odd European guest from time to time.

Cool mix of R&B, Classic Northern, Funk & Modern

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In Chicago there are multiple nights, the main northern one is the "windy city soul club" and the club reaches capacity very quickly leaving a line at the door. There are other soul nights, a boogie night, reggae / ska, rockabilly (I know that wasn't part of the question), etc. I think most of the people who go to the events are just excited to hear good music and are not familiar with the "canon" of the genre, which allows DJs to more freely play their own style of set.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

post-16601-0-71236100-1345493655_thumb.jpost-16601-0-24693400-1345493704_thumb.jpost-16601-0-30271800-1345493787_thumb.jpost-16601-0-51835700-1345493807_thumb.j

Sean

Sean

If it's worked there should be scans of a CD "The Kinkerstraat Sides" attached but they may not be too legible. Anyway it gives a little info on the Amsterdam and Rotterdam soul scene.

I used to deal with some of the shops and DJs in the 70s whilst working at Global Records and later but didn't really ask too much about their clubs .At the time they were about 15 to 20 years older than I was so would be in their 70s and 80s now, so its not likely that much goes on now. The scanned CD was from 1999 and states that some of the clubs were still going then.

The music was mainly Southern slow soul from the 60s and 70s. A few titles that I remember are "His Kiss" by Betty Harris, "That's How I Feel" by Soul Clan, "Walking With My New Love" by Gloria Walker and the other side of "I've Got Something Good" Sam And Kitty. They didn't collect labels or focus on particular artists although some artists had a few big records. At Global we got 3 Barbara Lynn tracks pressed by Jamie and 2 Mitty Collier tracks pressed on UK Peachtree.These were at least 1000 copies of each so there must have been a decent demand.

The records were played at clubs and parties and I believe the DJs would have duels where each played a track after the other and the winner was the one who had the most crowd reaction at the end of the night. I sold to one of the DJs and whilst he had a wants list he was really keen to find new records to play, just like the UK Northern scene. I've got a 1977 letter from him and he was after tracks by Clarence Reid, Phil Flowers,Donald Height,Baby Ray,Joe Tex and "Baby Baby I Need You"(the other side of Girl Why You Wanna Make Me Blue) by the Temptations. This last one was usual as Motown stuff was hardly ever played. Definitely no Groovin down to the Go Go to Jerk the Monkey. They danced to the records but not to dance records.

I went to Amsterdam this year so had a walk down Kinkerstraat (Kinker Street) but couldn't find any sign of Clubs or record shops. It is the multicultural part of Amsterdam and looks like it would have been jumping in the 70s. I'm sure if someone had the time to track some of the people down more info could be found. I can't see the younger Surinam people listening to the same records, they may have considered it music for the old folks and prefered hip hop , rap etc.

If any one has any further info on this scene I'd sure it would be of interest . Maybe other people,( Ian D, Tony R,Ady?),sold to the DJs or maybe someone attended one of the clubs.

Rick

Social source share

post-16601-0-71236100-1345493655_thumb.jpost-16601-0-24693400-1345493704_thumb.jpost-16601-0-30271800-1345493787_thumb.jpost-16601-0-51835700-1345493807_thumb.j

Sean

If it's worked there should be scans of a CD "The Kinkerstraat Sides" attached but they may not be too legible. Anyway it gives a little info on the Amsterdam and Rotterdam soul scene.

I used to deal with some of the shops and DJs in the 70s whilst working at Global Records and later but didn't really ask too much about their clubs .At the time they were about 15 to 20 years older than I was so would be in their 70s and 80s now, so its not likely that much goes on now. The scanned CD was from 1999 and states that some of the clubs were still going then.

The music was mainly Southern slow soul from the 60s and 70s. A few titles that I remember are "His Kiss" by Betty Harris, "That's How I Feel" by Soul Clan, "Walking With My New Love" by Gloria Walker and the other side of "I've Got Something Good" Sam And Kitty. They didn't collect labels or focus on particular artists although some artists had a few big records. At Global we got 3 Barbara Lynn tracks pressed by Jamie and 2 Mitty Collier tracks pressed on UK Peachtree.These were at least 1000 copies of each so there must have been a decent demand.

The records were played at clubs and parties and I believe the DJs would have duels where each played a track after the other and the winner was the one who had the most crowd reaction at the end of the night. I sold to one of the DJs and whilst he had a wants list he was really keen to find new records to play, just like the UK Northern scene. I've got a 1977 letter from him and he was after tracks by Clarence Reid, Phil Flowers,Donald Height,Baby Ray,Joe Tex and "Baby Baby I Need You"(the other side of Girl Why You Wanna Make Me Blue) by the Temptations. This last one was usual as Motown stuff was hardly ever played. Definitely no Groovin down to the Go Go to Jerk the Monkey. They danced to the records but not to dance records.

I went to Amsterdam this year so had a walk down Kinkerstraat (Kinker Street) but couldn't find any sign of Clubs or record shops. It is the multicultural part of Amsterdam and looks like it would have been jumping in the 70s. I'm sure if someone had the time to track some of the people down more info could be found. I can't see the younger Surinam people listening to the same records, they may have considered it music for the old folks and prefered hip hop , rap etc.

If any one has any further info on this scene I'd sure it would be of interest . Maybe other people,( Ian D, Tony R,Ady?),sold to the DJs or maybe someone attended one of the clubs.

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks so much for that very thorough reply. That's exactly what i was looking for.

I was aware, back in the 70's when I had my record stall and first started selling a few pieces Mail Order that a lot of unforeseen and unexpected demand was coming from Holland, Belgium and Japan.

Certainly they were into lots of records that wouldn't shift for love nor money in the UK. One Dutch guy in particular, got very excited after seeing the stuff I was listing and wanted to come to the UK and spend a few days going through my boxes 'because only then would he be able to see if I had what he was after'.

I declined, fearing that I might be letting go of rare and 'indemand Dutch Soul' 45's for peanuts, and behaving much like our American cousins do with us lot these days! lol

Remember also, mid 70's, a Japanese collector sending me a Wants List with so many tracks that nowadays would be worth a fortune. One in particular that stands out 'Eddie Billups - A Soldiers Prayer on Peachtree. And that was the side he wanted the 45 for :0)

I can appreciate the 'Northern Soul Phenomena' exporting across the globe, as ex-pat brit communities have taken root beyond the UK over the decades and because of the internet, playlists, online radio etc. and generally a much more 'mobile' generation of people, than back in 'the day' - but what I was most interested in was parallels, where 'beyond and unconnected' to the Northern soul scene,, other scenes had proliferated; in much the same way as the Soulero's in LA, Chicago and other parts of the USA - nothing to do with Northern, but boy, they love their rare soul collecting thing.

Thanks Rick.

That's great info.

Cheers,

Sean

PS: I'll take 2 x Mitty Collier on UK Peachtree please! :D

Social source share

i do a little soul/R&B/funk night once a month here in monterey, california.

from my last set:

Dee Andrews - stop you're hurting my heart

Belgianettes - the train

Jo Ann Garrett - i'm a now girl

Lee Charles - then would you love me

Patience Valentine - unlucky girl

Dorothy Berry - you better watch out

Dynamic Heartbeats - ain't no secret

Ethics - look at me now

Dean Francis - tippin

Lynn Minor - hesitate for me

Fred Towles - hook it to the mule

Buddy Lamp - wanna come home

Lee Rogers - gogo girl

Charmels - loving material

Lattimore Brown - so says my heart

Kitty Montgomery - hey boy

Earl Cosby - ooh honey baby

Leon Austin - two sided love

Ricky Allen - cut you loose

Opals - i'm so afraid

the crowd is definitely "casual onlookers" and my friends. only about 50 people on a good night and very little dancing. mostly people chatting and sipping wine....

Edited by ljblanken
Social source share

Sean, Chicago doesn't have a group of people that call themselves "the souleros", it's mainly a california phenomenon with two distinct soulero groups.

US collectors have always collected soul 45s and for different reasons. For example, lots of doowop collectors branched out into soul. Or locally in Chicago there are "steppers" collectors and people who want "dusties" that they remember. Chicago originated the term "dusties" (which some other places use now) while california originated the term "oldies".

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

As you'd expect in a country containing hundreds of thousands of British expats, the scene in Australia is very active. There are individual scenes in Perth, Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane and the Gold Coast and by and large we all know each other - a feat in itself given the sheer size of the country.

Every year since 1998 all the scenes converge on a selected city for the National Weekender (aka "The Nash") with each city taking turns on a rotational basis. The sounds are largely Northern but each city has different variations on that central theme.

There are lots of serious collectors here with premier league boxes that would stand alongside the best of the UK allnighter circuit DJs. There's also a strong culture of playing original vinyl only. Quite a few of us travel to UK frequently and are up to speed with what's currently in demand.

I post monthly samples of playlists from my club in Perth (now in its 16th year) on this website.. www.perthsoul.com

Cheers.........Pete

Social source share

Sean, Chicago doesn't have a group of people that call themselves "the souleros", it's mainly a california phenomenon with two distinct soulero groups.

US collectors have always collected soul 45s and for different reasons. For example, lots of doowop collectors branched out into soul. Or locally in Chicago there are "steppers" collectors and people who want "dusties" that they remember. Chicago originated the term "dusties" (which some other places use now) while california originated the term "oldies".

Bob , on the Chicago Steppers scene, is there much of a focus on collecting original vinyl ?

Do the events consist of DJs playing vinyl or do they have pre-programmed music on the sound system ?

Social source share

Bob , on the Chicago Steppers scene, is there much of a focus on collecting original vinyl ?

Do the events consist of DJs playing vinyl or do they have pre-programmed music on the sound system ?

No, a lot of the music they play was never even released on vinyl. But they do dig up very weird tracks, so there is some sense of discovery that record collectors have in always trying to find new sounds. As long as the record has the right sound, they will play it. For example, there is a track off the Vanilla Ice movie soundtrack "Cool as Ice" -- I don't know who discovered the track, but it's obviously a rare soundtrack. There isn't a focus on the DJ having originals though, more on the DJ actually doing a good set. Older people (usually 35 years and older, including many people in their 70s) dress up really nice and do sort of complicated steppers dances.

Social source share

Hi Bob, I realise that, better grammer would have been "other 'fans' had proliferated; in much the same way as the Soulero's in LA and those in Chicago and other parts of the USA"

When I mentioned Chicago, I was actually thinking about You! :0)

Hadn't realised the term 'dusties' came from Chicago, but I guess that figures, with the 'Dusty Groove Store' etc.

All very interesting stuff, which I guess belies the myth that the North of England has (or even had?) the monopoly on (rare) Soul music.

Sean

Social source share

Hi Bob, I realise that, better grammer would have been "other 'fans' had proliferated; in much the same way as the Soulero's in LA and those in Chicago and other parts of the USA"

When I mentioned Chicago, I was actually thinking about You! :0)

Hadn't realised the term 'dusties' came from Chicago, but I guess that figures, with the 'Dusty Groove Store' etc.

All very interesting stuff, which I guess belies the myth that the North of England has (or even had?) the monopoly on (rare) Soul music.

Sean

The people who started Dusty Groove were two DJs from my radio station. One of them was one of the original rap DJs to play rap in Chicago in the early 80s (he only retired recently ... rap on chicago radio was very rare until like '86 as chicago was all house music), the other DJ did a show called "The Dusties Party" where he played Soul / Funk / Breaks. Not sure who came up with the term "Dusties", but Art Laboe in LA is known for coming up with the term "Oldies".

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Following on from Rick's excellent insights into the Surinam soul scene here in NL...

Browsing through record shops here, you'll often find soul 45s with labels that have been scrawled on with heavy marker pen - usually on both sides. I was told by the owner of one record shop that competition among djs was very fierce. So fierce was the rivalry that thievery was rife and to prevent 45s from being misappropriated, djs took to writing their names on labels in big letters.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!