Longer Dj Sets?

Mike

up for longer djs sets ?  

1. 1. would longer dj sets hold any attraction ?

• yep
    • nah

Any DJ that plays stuff he or she doesn't like is an idiot IMHO.

Agree. Surely you collect Records you like then play them out hoping upon hope that others like them too.

Never buy a record just because someone else want to hear it !! You are booked as a DJ for what you play and your taste in the music ( be it Old or New ). Being told by the Promoter what to play ?? Can get anyone to do that.

With that in mind then surely a 1 hr set would give time for the DJ to express himself/herself. You don't have to be a slave to the floor but common sense must prevail. Everyone has a few to fall back on that gets people up but the rest of the set is for you, the DJ. When booked to an event they know your M.O. as do most of the paying public. At Nighters, the DJs are generally the 'Big Names' and we are all aware of their 'Playlists'. 1 1/2 Hrs should suffice.

Social source share

think one of the 'main' points of the poll has sort of got watered down

maybe my lazy wording :rofl:

wasn't so much about long spots in general

but more a case of... would ones by djs who you personally consider a top $ type dj be an welcome attraction ?

I'd travel a long way to hear some DJ's do a three hour set digging really deep into their collections (though it'd still only be 75 or so tracks). Carl and Maria, PhilT, Dave Withers, Pete Hulat, Andy Dyson, Butch, Mick Smith, John Weston and probably others.

There's no way any of them would play a whole set that anyone could say "I didn't like any of that" well not unless their ears are just painted on.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Any DJ that plays stuff he or she doesn't like is an idiot IMHO.

Agreed in the main Ged, but occasionally it needs to be done, particularly if you need to get the floor back, but in the main I'm with you on that, if anyone ever asked me for something I didn't like, depending on my mood, I'd either give them 'sorry I don't have that with me' or more often than not a flat out 'sorry I'm not playing that shit' :)

Social source share

Agreed in the main Ged, but occasionally it needs to be done, particularly if you need to get the floor back, but in the main I'm with you on that, if anyone ever asked me for something I didn't like, depending on my mood, I'd either give them 'sorry I don't have that with me' or more often than not a flat out 'sorry I'm not playing that shit' :)

I always have some records in my box I'd rather not play; sometimes that's because they just don't fit the set, othertimes because they're only in there as my 'lowest common denominator' records. But I never ever have things in my play box that I don't like.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Personally, i think 45mins-1hour is a good length it give you chance to brach out a little and build up your set. But, i think its good to have a slot at different times of the night rather than playing all your tunes in one go is good. If you get the graveyard shift right at the start of a night it can be quite boring, but having a second slot later in the night can give you chance to play some bigger/rarer tunes and get more appreciation for doing so.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm sorry ... what are YOU on about?

eh?i'm answering your post

"Longer sets are all well and good if the DJ is playing what you like to hear"

It's not about what the individual wants to hear it's about the whole night. Yes their may be perioids when you're not goiong to hear records that are to your taste or knowledge but that's the whole point. No one person knows every record and to hear things for the first time can only ge a good thing, just not for the whole duration. But that justifies longer sets to allow dj's to expand.

Social source share

eh?i'm answering your post

"Longer sets are all well and good if the DJ is playing what you like to hear"

It's not about what the individual wants to hear it's about the whole night. Yes their may be perioids when you're not goiong to hear records that are to your taste or knowledge but that's the whole point. No one person knows every record and to hear things for the first time can only ge a good thing, just not for the whole duration. But that justifies longer sets to allow dj's to expand.

Mike asked if members would welcome longer sets by DJs. I can only answer for myself and did so. You seem to think I don't welcome hearing stuff I don't know when in fact you couldn't be further from the truth. That said, 2 hours of stuff you don't rate (whether you know them or not) is a bleeding long time. Good for you if that doesn't bother you but the reality is it could potentially bother others. Like I said, there is usually more than just one person in a venue and therein lies the (potential) problem that could arise with longer sets

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Mike asked if members would welcome longer sets by DJs. I can only answer for myself and did so. You seem to think I don't welcome hearing stuff I don't know when in fact you couldn't be further from the truth. That said, 2 hours of stuff you don't rate (whether you know them or not) is a bleeding long time. Good for you if that doesn't bother you but the reality is it could potentially bother others. Like I said, there is usually more than just one person in a venue and therein lies the (potential) problem that could arise with longer sets

I don't seem to think anything i can only judge by what you posted.

Social source share

I don't seem to think anything i can only judge by what you posted.

I consider myself very tolerant with regards to stuff I don't like. It's no biggie at the end of the day and another DJ will be along in a minute, 60 at the most. I am one person in a venue and if the dance floor is full it's job done in my book

Social source share

Hearing something new, great but if you don't like it your stuck with it, 30 mins is enough, seen too many ego's when in reality they are just playing stuff they like and think everyone else should like it to.

How TRUE, you get to a do, say you've never been before, i.e out of you "comfort zone", area, to try to find something different, say the dj is stuck in the 50's/60's playing "doo wop" or stuff you can't relate to, its a Friday nite, hard week at work and you came to dance, suddenly you find they'e playing obscure modern, rare underplayed. You paid to get in. Five or six records into a dj's set for me establishes what kind of groove he's in, what his influences are etc. So sorry, an hour is more than enough for me. Best set/dj I have ever heard? Mick H in Sheffield 2009, Dave Raistrick same year, Mick n 'Mo 2010 Doncaster, Steve Foster, Mick Lait, Blackhearts crew, Woody at the Black Lion Salford. Based in Sheffield ventured out as far as Bradford. And I'm a newcomer to NS having followed the 70's disco, Jazz Funk Route into it. If I don't think the night can sustain my expectations I politely say goodbye and leave, either onto another one or home to bed. There's always another "do around the corner. The other side of the coin is if the dj surpasses all and every expectation would I want to listen to them for 2 hrs...answer "no" I would be listening to see whether the next dj could follow such a great set to compare with it. Variety the spice of life. Maybe I should get out more.

Social source share

And that's part of the problem, the [ I know best mentality ] you may think it's shit but the "punter" who's asked for it likes it, and why lie to them? The people that turn up make the do, the dj can either make it a good one or a waste of time, treating them like muppets doesn't help.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Exactly the same can be said about something you know can't it? New or old if you don't like it you are stuck with it.

Yes of course it can, but if your at a do and all your getting is stuff that's not to your taste, then 30 mins is just about enough , weekenders are perfect venues for longer spots and something new.
Social source share

And that's part of the problem, the [ I know best mentality ] you may think it's shit but the "punter" who's asked for it likes it, and why lie to them? The people that turn up make the do, the dj can either make it a good one or a waste of time, treating them like muppets doesn't help.

My responses are determined by the manner in which people make requests, if they act like aggressive muppets then they get the appropriate response - 99% of the time I'll play requests but there are occasions when there are tunes which have had the arse rinsed out of them and I never want to hear them again so I have no problem saying to someone that I refuse to play it.

And surely the DJ should know best, otherwise what's the point of booking one, in my personal view the tail shouldn't wag the dog, which it seems to do such a lot these days.

Roger

Social source share

Of course you do the point is if it goes on and on and you don't get it then it's ta ra.

You really don't get it do you; If a Dj has only a limited time to play they will try and cram what they intend to play in. Over a longer perioid they are able to spread new records out so they blend in. As i said first off not all Dj's are able to do this but then again a Dj that can't shouldn't be Djing in the first place.

Social source share

My responses are determined by the manner in which people make requests, if they act like aggressive muppets then they get the appropriate response - 99% of the time I'll play requests but there are occasions when there are tunes which have had the arse rinsed out of them and I never want to hear them again so I have no problem saying to someone that I refuse to play it.

And surely the DJ should know best, otherwise what's the point of booking one, in my personal view the tail shouldn't wag the dog, which it seems to do such a lot these days.

Roger

My favourite is "play something i know" wtf is that supposed to mean.

There are very few records i'd never play if i had them with me. In fact the only one i can say i'd never play is the Snake which i'd never own anyway.. Oh yeah and that God awful tribute thing.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

My favourite is "play something i know" wtf is that supposed to mean.

There are very few records i'd never play if i had them with me. In fact the only one i can say i'd never play is the Snake which i'd never own anyway.. Oh yeah and that God awful tribute thing.

Was once asked by someone trying to wind me up to 'Play something they didn't know' :)

Good man Tony r/e Tribute :thumbsup:

Social source share

Why would you have them with you if you have no intention of ever playing them? Or do you just carry ALL your records with you whenever you're DJing?

There are certian records that are, let's say overplayed that some dj's wouldn't touch. I'm not that worried if i like it i'll play it. I have far too many records to take them all with me so i'll sort a box out with possible plays. Some things i might just put in there on a whim just to fill a box up. Depends what genre i'm djing also. You can't just take a set of records it also depends what's been played before.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

to be strait..some ov these so called 2 hour spot djs shud do a frigin weddin or a pub do on there own an keep every bugger happy an dancin.....its about followin the rhythm maaaan not the cost...do a bikers doo if they dont like it..ur f----ked....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 2hrs some ov em 2 mins......orrrrrf.

Social source share

• 9 months later...

Haha brilliant Nev...love it

Don't laugh mate, we have one at Grumpy. Seriously. (I'm the only one to have copped it so far lol)

I really don't like 30 min sets personally, too disjointed - while others would argue it keeps things fresh no doubt. I also think longer sets for quality guests is spot on

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

If a promoter books a dj that suits their venue then them djs have nothing to fear wether they play half hour or 2 hours sets, if the djs are Proppa djs then they can put a decent set together no matter how long they re djn for. Anyone that accepts a dj spot should be able to dj for 2 hours no problem shouldn't they ? Some djs I could listen to for 8 hours and some I wish I knew where the fuses were.

For me an hour is about right or 2 x 45 minute sets at most but anything over that I have to flip me records lol

Social source share

Half hour sets have worked well at some venues for quite a while. It also gives people (especially the guests) the chance to play at different times in the night, so if you end up with half an hour early on you also get a decent half hour later. Like Terry says it keeps it fresh and you aren't waiting 2 hours for your favourite DJ if the two before only have half an hour each. By all means give guests more time than residents, but split it throughout the night, two 45 mins or maybe three half hours. An hour is enough of any DJ, even the best. Plus if someone's crap having an off-night you only have to wait half an hour until the next one. laugh.png

i just think shorter sets build a buzz and help to generate atmosphere. any dj worth his salt whont completley chop into another genre or style straight away, surely you try to intergrate what you start with into the last person set. and gradually nudge the music into another direction. Shorter sets also help this intergration, it gets dj's working together for the good of the night, imho. Rather than being self obsessed and ego driven.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It's just not about what YOU want to hear it's about hearing new things instead of the same old stuff everytime.

Just look at Dj's like David Mancuso he's been known to play for 8 hours solid.

yeah but thats Mancusso at the loft not some bloke from hull djing to a half empty in a town hall in rochdale, :sleep3:   

Social source share

Guest nsoulxx

at our birthday bbq in aug me and our bri play tunes for 10hrs..me doin the brunt of it..bri does have a go but its out of the same boxes o shite

Ha ha!!
Social source share

i just think shorter sets build a buzz and help to generate atmosphere. any dj worth his salt whont completley chop into another genre or style straight away, surely you try to intergrate what you start with into the last person set. and gradually nudge the music into another direction. Shorter sets also help this intergration, it gets dj's working together for the good of the night, imho. Rather than being self obsessed and ego driven.[/

Depends what the response has been to what they've played doesn't it. i think you'd be pretty ballsy, and / or daft, to depart radically from something thats working; why would you? if it aint ...

if you book the right djs and attract the right crowd there'll be an atmosphere and it'll integrate and flow anyway, at least it should. Book fewer and give em enough time at the right time to do their thing. If you've booked em you obviously rate em so back em.

Short sets just feel fragmented and choppy to me. That said, there's nowt worse than a sh*t hour is there lol; + and - as always I guess

Edited by PhilT
Social source share

Recently i've been doing the early spot at a local soul nite ( 4 per year) and doing anything from an hour to an hour and a 1/2 (oldies nite) while i try not to play anything i think (know) that the 2 promoters will be playing in their later sets (check out my play-lists listed on here). This can be rather confining although i do think that i myself can cause the problem by not letting them have to adapt (for want of a better word) and make them use their imagination and alter their sets more. Prior to this i was a resident at a local soul all-dayer (6 per year) and could be on anywhere from first to last spot (across the board) and i did use these spots to experiment a lot more.

So to finish i think that it depends on the DJ and the nite.

Social source share

GEESLAD     i just think shorter sets build a buzz and help to generate atmosphere. any dj worth his salt whont completley chop into another genre or style straight away, surely you try to intergrate what you start with into the last person set. and gradually nudge the music into another direction. Shorter sets also help this intergration, it gets dj's working together for the good of the night, imho. Rather than being self obsessed and ego driven.   TOP QUOTE>>>>>

100% I think 2 X 45 mins would be ideal for any decent DJ Or 2 X 30 mins it's enough time to blend from one direction to another.This keeps it fresh providing with a receptive crowd and like minded DJs..

With the real "in demand jocks" I can understand they would prefer a full hour to really build and play their intended set in one go but they can also adapt to 2 X 45mins spot or even 30 min spots.

Why can't you nudge your set from trad NS to a bit more say funk edged etc within a 30 min set or from one to another and back again etc especially within 45 mins...

If the DJs got the records and knows what he's doing it's no problem 2 x 45 mins and the lesser DJs maybe give them 2X30 mins.

It works better regarding different times of the night and  without  doubt keeps the crowd less settled or hopefully more on their feet..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

yeah but thats Mancusso at the loft not some bloke from hull djing to a half empty in a town hall in rochdale, :sleep3:   

Every one has to start some where.. And why was it half empty, it might have been half full. :glare:

Social source share

...hmmm.....I have 2 'hats'....a DJ one....and a Northern DJ one! They are different approaches! As a DJ doing weddings/functions for 25 years....I can start as early as 2pm on a Saturday afternoon.....and finish at 2am....12 hours...non-stop.....and could have carried on until 8am....obviously!!!x In that scenario....I wouldn't dream of letting anyone else share the decks......it don't work....and there's a bigger thing to cater for.....someones 'special' occasion....not a casual waiting to hear or spin summink of interest....it's a different 'gig'! I control what i play...and when I want them to dance...or chill....'manage' the occasion...thru the music......always to a crescendo! It's a huge responsibility which I do not pass onto anyone else.....and never would!x

However....as a Northern DJ and promoter...my approach has been this over the time....

1 hour sets...on the Northern Scene??? In general....suffices. I say that because there was....was...during the 90's many 'DJ's...that weren't 'DJ's'....and lost the 'flow' of the occasion irrelevant of what was in their boxes...and often didn't 'care' about the occasion.....be it at a nighter or night.....and it was a 'killer' all round. That hour....seemed hours...! When we kicked off The Maltings and re-launched St Ives under the 9 Clubs banner...9 DJ's  did 2 x 1/2 hour sets........as mentioned in the thread. It was a super success...I felt....a 'buzz' throughout for DJ's AND Punters! It also ensured the DJ's participation thru the night.......! How many stroll in...do their bit....and walk out the door straight after leaving ure floor and crowd unsure about life???? There is an analogy I can use to explain my feelings on that one.........I play 5 a side each Tuesday night....have done for 9 years. On occasion I am short a player or two. There are loads 'hanging about' hoping for a 'freebie'. I let them play....they don't pay.....and they go 'hog' the ball...shoot at every and any occasion....no 'team' approach....then walk off the pitch without even saying thanx.....! It's the same feeling for me. So...I had this 1/2 hour approach....and EVERYONE had the same attitude towards the night...which helped the ambience of the room and dancefloor!x

As a DJ....I could give any venue an awesome night....for as long as you could handle it.....31 hours is me record to date! Done that for Charity 7/8 years ago! However...as a Northern DJ ;fitting in'....an hour....is good....when 'managing' folks of all skill levels and music interests be they a 60's/70 oldie or newbie.....'DJ'....it gives enuff time to enjoy the occasion as a DJ....and for the floor to have an 'experience'! Sometimes I recall wanting a 'rest' after a DJ's awesome spot!!! Then Len would follow and I could go have a kip to recover..........hehe!x

@@
~
LUV
LENSGROUPIE
X

....erm......I had this extra approach for the 'big' occasions too........only dancing DJ's....got on the bill.....! THAT was MEGA....and had promoters of Soul Clubs nationwide on a list waiting their turn! Another thing we had at St Ives in the 90's was......you would never be considered for a spot unless you'd been to the venue either.......! Who do u fink u r creaming 'our' efforts and success???!!!..........it was a Northern gig.......and I wouldn't have Soulies pretending to be Soulies in my space.....especially when picking up the tab and collateral on occasion!!!! Go play elsewhere.........hehe!x I learnt that when at me first few nights i promoted......a 'named' DJ with qdos from 'back in the day'....I invited as 'star' DJ.He insisted on £60....AND a flagon of Cider.....which I agreed too....and ended up paying it out of my pocket at the time! I never got paid that ANYWHERE in 9 years! He waltzed in with a bunch of mates...20 minutes before his spot.......took the £60....and Cider......and did the same the 2nd time. He never got a 3rd chance.....with me. The Len's and Shifty's of this world took his 'spot'...and the rest is 'recent' history......and should do every time....I reckon...X

@@
~

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I always have some records in my box I'd rather not play; sometimes that's because they just don't fit the set, othertimes because they're only in there as my 'lowest common denominator' records. But I never ever have things in my play box that I don't like.

think most collectors all have some, 'only use in an emergency' records, think that what people are talking about it. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sometimes I recall wanting a 'rest' after a DJ's awesome spot!!! Then Len would follow and I could go have a kip to recover..........hehe!x

@@

~

LUV

LENSGROUPIE

X

:ohmy: 

Len xxx :D 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

think most collectors all have some, 'only use in an emergency' records, think that what people are talking about it. 

....I call em 'Safety Records'.......and I need em! :D 

Len :thumbsup: 

P.s - They are records I do like though :yes: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share