Longer Dj Sets?

Mike

up for longer djs sets ?  

1. 1. would longer dj sets hold any attraction ?

• yep
    • nah

lot of soul (hah) searching going on recently on other threads ref events

what's the views on longer sets ?

would say a event offering a couple of hours or even more by a top dollar dj or two get your bell ringing and your car moving?

just a monday throw away thought and an excuse to check that the poll feature still working :rofl:

own view is yep could be a good thing, the right dj and all that

Social source share

An hour has never been long enough. At least two would give Dj's a better oppurtunity to spread the wings.. Mind you it depends how good the Dj is.. 10mins maximum for some of em :shhh:

Social source share

i'd rather a resident did an even longer set after all they would know the crowd better.. there's always been too many dj's booked to do events it's too disjointed.

Social source share

1 hour sets I reckon, plenty long enough especially about 3 or 4 in the morning

when someones just killed it for you and then hoping someones gonna come and pick you up

and blow you away with fantastic uptempo soul music.

So yep 1 hour :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Half hour sets have worked well at some venues for quite a while. It also gives people (especially the guests) the chance to play at different times in the night, so if you end up with half an hour early on you also get a decent half hour later. Like Terry says it keeps it fresh and you aren't waiting 2 hours for your favourite DJ if the two before only have half an hour each. By all means give guests more time than residents, but split it throughout the night, two 45 mins or maybe three half hours. An hour is enough of any DJ, even the best. Plus if someone's crap having an off-night you only have to wait half an hour until the next one. :lol:

Social source share

I see the concept of peaks and troughs still hasn't made it to the Northern scene yet then

Same for some modern nights I've been to, someone like CC can do it and a few others, but not many, keep it fresh I say

Social source share

Same for some modern nights I've been to, someone like CC can do it and a few others, but not many, keep it fresh I say

How do you know when nobody gets a chance.. Go on lad your on.. 30mins of your biggest records then do one :glare: . Longer sets means more new records broken as they can be mingled in with other known tracks.

Social source share

You are having a laugh aren't you, unless you mean ex Northern dj's playing pseudo modern soul in a working mens club

Get out and hear some dj's out your circle FFS and don't make such daft statements.

I really try not to get involved in these but I can't believe the ignorant and ill informed statements that people make,

Sadly some people take statements like yours as facts

Yes longer sets, most dj's can't do it because they are the ten bob dj's so loved at soul nights by people on here.

Proper DJ's would revel in it.

Well said Jocko, spot on mate. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I personally really like playing a long set. Though the need for bladder control is one downside. Have played a few 2 hour sets as a guest. Think the longest was in Houston which was over 2 hours, though I was the only guest. Remember having a long set at Basics in Edinburgh. I always come away from a half an hour set a bit unsatisfied, one hour is much better for me. Perhaps I'm greedy. Don't see why short sets keep it fresh. DJ's with depth should be able to mix it up with different styles over two hours and keep the dancers happy.

Edited by Des Crombie
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Longest one I've done is 5 hours in the Lounge one Sunday afternoon at the Birmingham Hilton Luxury Soul Weekender a few years back, I still didn't want to be dragged off. :)

I've done a couple of 4hr party stints it's cool when the sun is coming up. Once did a 4hr radio show i might even have it on my pc some where

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I'm in 2 minds about this, on one hand if i was a doing a completely open set then I'd like longer... At least 2 hours. However at Basics i prefer shorter and what we do is a 30min early doors followed by a 45 later on.

Social source share

Think it all depends on who the DJ is and on the expectations of the venue / crowd.

There are so many different kinds of event these days.

In general, 30 Minute sets certainly keep you sharp and focus the mind on the floor, but 60+ minutes allow one a bit more freedom to experiment.

Any more than 90 minutes on the trot I think would blunt the sword for most!

That said, I did over 5 Hours at Lifeline weekender about 4-5 years ago.

Loved every minute of it... but think I was the only one who did :0)

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You are having a laugh aren't you, unless you mean ex Northern dj's playing pseudo modern soul in a working mens club

Get out and hear some dj's out your circle FFS and don't make such daft statements.

I really try not to get involved in these but I can't believe the ignorant and ill informed statements that people make,

Sadly some people take statements like yours as facts

Yes longer sets, most dj's can't do it because they are the ten bob dj's so loved at soul nights by people on here.

Proper DJ's would revel in it.

100% correct Jocko - the longer sets will always sort out the ten bob DJ's (and also the ebay cheque book DJs) from the real DJs who not only have the depth and breadth in their record collections, but also the knowledge and ability to work a crowd.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm in 2 minds about this, on one hand if i was a doing a completely open set then I'd like longer... At least 2 hours. However at Basics i prefer shorter and what we do is a 30min early doors followed by a 45 later on.

Off course it is horses for courses Dave, as you say depending on venue and style. I doubt if I would want a Northern do for more than an hour and at your Basics do, my experience was that was perfect, particularly not knowing the crowd (although not sure your crowd would agree!) thats sensible.

But as you say outside these restraints then it makes no sense at all. I was responding to the daft statement on the modern scene that as usual takes no consideration that there is such a scene beyond Northern "progressives".

And if you are playing general soul stuff any less than an hour is daft due to length of tracks but more importantly as Tony says the ability to change things around, which to be honest is the only way I could dj now, and even then only in my own room.

]

Think it all depends on who the DJ is and on the expectations of the venue / crowd.

There are so many different kinds of event these days.

In general, 30 Minute sets certainly keep you sharp and focus the mind on the floor, but 60+ minutes allow one a bit more freedom to experiment.

Any more than 90 minutes on the trot I think would blunt the sword for most!

That said, I did over 5 Hours at Lifeline weekender about 4-5 years ago.

Loved every minute of it... but think I was the only one who did :0)

Sean

As I say to Dave I agree on most of that Sean, I have seen Butch play longer sets and being blinding, but he tends to move 60's to 80's and lets be honest the amount of people interested in that all nighters is countable on a Londoners webbed toes.

But outside these constraints I love it, the old cliche of going on journeys and changing the vibe can be done equally by, and is equally applicable to, a good Soul dj as they are to House dj's, where it is the norm.

Just not many people with the confidence, taste and forethought to do. Its not easy I appreciate that but still something to behold when done right.

And as for your set Lifeline, sure a few other people were meant to be djing but you were doing such a good job they just closed their boxes and enjoyed your pain, most of us did, its still talked about and a good example of something just being right for time and place. Not like you to be humble :D :D

Social source share

Local, smaller events then 1 Hr sets are good. As said, allows the DJ to build. If they are crap then the onus should lay with the promoter. They should know the DJ and their rep prior to booking. NIghters/Dayers then probably 1 1/2 Hr should be adequate.

Social source share

One hour, two hours, 20 minutes... whatever...

Remember the days of mobile discos & early sound systems when there was just the one DJ and their 'roadshow' for the duration of the night?

YEP!...when i played for a reggae sound it was only me who 'selectered'...would do 3 hours in a pub backroom and then sometime allnight at a house party...without any helpers just loads of weed!...was a lot youger then though...but even a few years back was playing reggae in bristol 'late' pubs for 6 hour stints..

getting back on topic....at go go children we give the earlier guest 2 half hour slots.. no fun doing first hour if its a slow start... also gives them a chance to get used to the equipment and maybe calm there nerves if they dont dj much or are new to it....then the main guests gets an hour always prime time...residents 2x 3/4 hour sets...best way to fit 4 djs into 5 hours...seems to work,keeping it fresh and different styles of djing or genre....

dont like the idea of two hour sets at all...a long time to wait if the you not into the dj!....i suppose it wouldnt matter so much if it was a nite that just played northern but if you have people waitin for a bit of rnb or latin theyre gonna get bored with 2 hours of waitin..

and then if djs get 2 hours there would be less djs on each night so even harder for all those djs on the other thread you wanna hear get a go

and if will sort out those who can dj and those who cant that surely means there will be a lot of shit nights where the dj isnt up to it doesnt it?

IMO

dean

Social source share

think one of the 'main' points of the poll has sort of got watered down

maybe my lazy wording :rofl:

wasn't so much about long spots in general

but more a case of... would ones by djs who you personally consider a top $ type dj be an welcome attraction ?

Social source share

I've got a regular night here (copenhagen) where I'm the only DJ because its not enough money to bring any guests :unsure: thats a 5-hour shift which can be pretty brutal. luckily the bathroom is right next to the DJ booth, so its a quick run between records if its not a busy night. the environment is less of a club and more of a cosy restaurant bar, so there isn't as big of a demand to play uptempo the whole time. thusly, I get to play some nice deep numbers and b-sides, which I'll usually start with for the early crowd then work my way up to uptempo.

on our other night though at a proper raging club, we have 2 resident dj's and usually one guest. if its not a guest night, we'll split the first hour in half (my mate plays rare garage) and it gives us both a chance to show our styles a bit, then switch off hourly. it works out great. guest nights, we usually try to do 45 minutes for each so that everyone gets time to play, dance and mingle.

I know the feeling like you're being dragged off when you're really in the zone with a set, but that means you can just come back with more firepower on your next set. best to leave 'em wanting more has always been a motto for me.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As I say to Dave I agree on most of that Sean, I have seen Butch play longer sets and being blinding, but he tends to move 60's to 80's and lets be honest the amount of people interested in that all nighters is countable on a Londoners webbed toes.

Oi watch it Sweaty!

I rememeber in the 80's some dj's just played soul records no matter what year they were from.

Social source share

Longer sets are all well and good if the DJ is playing what you like to hear. 15 minute sets seem like a lifetime if they're not. With an hour of stuff you don't like you can just about survive (there's not that much you can do to occupy yourself in the meantime after all, especially in one room venues).

As always it comes down to personal taste and as there's more than just one person in a venue (hopefully) for me one hour sets are long enough.

Anyway, since when has it been about whether the DJ can cut it for longer than an hour? Sometimes I think it should be whether us poor punters can :lol:

It's just not about what YOU want to hear it's about hearing new things instead of the same old stuff everytime.

Just look at Dj's like David Mancuso he's been known to play for 8 hours solid.

Social source share

At the Soul in the South Allnighter all dj's get 2 spots of 40 or 45 mins. We sometimes have double decking for an hour as well which means less time for the dj's who take part but they enjoy it so......

Social source share

It's just not about what YOU want to hear it's about hearing new things instead of the same old stuff everytime.

Just look at Dj's like David Mancuso he's been known to play for 8 hours solid.

Hearing something new, great but if you don't like it your stuck with it, 30 mins is enough, seen too many ego's when in reality they are just playing stuff they like and think everyone else should like it to.
Social source share

Hearing something new, great but if you don't like it your stuck with it, 30 mins is enough, seen too many ego's when in reality they are just playing stuff they like and think everyone else should like it to.

You have to hear any record for the first time sometime.

Social source share

Exactly the same can be said about something you know can't it? New or old if you don't like it you are stuck with it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Longest one I've done is 5 hours in the Lounge one Sunday afternoon at the Birmingham Hilton Luxury Soul Weekender a few years back, I still didn't want to be dragged off. :)

at our birthday bbq in aug me and our bri play tunes for 10hrs..me doin the brunt of it..bri does have a go but its out of the same boxes o shite

• Helpful 1
Social source share