Back Beat Label, What's Been Reissued/pressed/booted?

Hi everyone!

Thinking of collecting this label for a bit as there are some nice cheap things but you can build to the higher priced stuff.

Does anyone know what has been reissued or booted from their catalogue? and more importantly how to spot em as they seem to be using the original label design?

J

Social source share

Jeanette Williams - All of a sudden is the only one I can think of which has a lookalike label, but it's much duller than the original. Carl Carlton - Competition was booted but that's on a plain red label with the word Backbeat in a line at the top. There amy be more but I can't think of any. I always remember being amazed that no-one ever pressed Something's Got A Hold On Me which remains to this day one of the few big records of the 70's never to be bootlegged or reissued.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Think Shirley Lawson 'The Star" / "One More Chance" was booted as a 'lookalike' recently.

Sean

That's what got me thinking they might be more out there/on there way, still as long as I'm careful with them two I should be ok!

Really love the Joe Hinton stuff, that's where I'm starting!

Social source share

a few of the earlier titles on the label (the r&b/rockabilly tinged stuff) were booted for the rockabilly crowd back in the 70s as well.

for example

this one is one which has a lookalike boot that looks very convincing 30+ years later.....

great label though

Edited by Kris Holmes
Social source share

Jeanette Williams - All of a sudden is the only one I can think of which has a lookalike label, but it's much duller than the original. Carl Carlton - Competition was booted but that's on a plain red label with the word Backbeat in a line at the top. There amy be more but I can't think of any. I always remember being amazed that no-one ever pressed Something's Got A Hold On Me which remains to this day one of the few big records of the 70's never to be bootlegged or reissued.

I just came on here to see this and now you have got me involved in threads I have been trying to leave alone! As always your fault Pete.

Re Carl Carlton I have this in boot pile but on a look a like label, sure someone must have told me that, are you saying there are no boots like that? Had it since early 80's so its not recent. Was going to sell it on ebay as boot too.....

Social source share

And to stay on topic OV Wrights Love The Way You Love, proper powerhouse of a dancer

And Soul Twins, Mr Independant deep brilliance, and You'r The One, proper shouty aggro soul, messy as hell so not for the constant steppers on the dance floor but soulful genius,.

Social source share

I just came on here to see this and now you have got me involved in threads I have been trying to leave alone! As always your fault Pete.

Re Carl Carlton I have this in boot pile but on a look a like label, sure someone must have told me that, are you saying there are no boots like that? Had it since early 80's so its not recent. Was going to sell it on ebay as boot too.....

I honestly don't remember it coming out as a lookalike - I'm going to stick my neck out and say that it DEFINITELY didn't come out as a lookalike. You have an original Jock.

Social source share

Had Competition on a green & Blue backbeat label, anybody know the background behind this ?

Now have the red one or two or three. :D:D

I think it is a later re-issue, did ABC not gain the rights and then issue and reissue some stuff. A few albums by OV Wright and Carl Carlton seem to have the ABC Backbeat logo and I think were issued some time after recording. All assumptions so would be nice to have some of our clever people confirm or otherwise.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

And to stay on topic OV Wrights Love The Way You Love, proper powerhouse of a dancer

And Soul Twins, Mr Independant deep brilliance, and You'r The One, proper shouty aggro soul, messy as hell so not for the constant steppers on the dance floor but soulful genius,.

And another cracker from O.V.Wright " Oh, Baby Mine"

Tony

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!