Too Sweet To Be Lonely,who Did It First: Ray Lewis/the Internationals

Wondered who did it first?Both on same label D`or.Personally i think the Internationals shades it but both great tunes.Plus the flip Beautiful Philosphy is a killer.

Also noticed Ray Lewis was pressed twice,Black and Orange label? Is it a east/west coast pressing thing or did it get 2 releases?I have the Black one.

Clock is ticking people :thumbsup::D

Social source share

Didn't the Internationals come to the UK around 1968 as the 'International Showstoppers' to pretend to be the Showstoppers (not that they knew that when they left New York). Think they came back for a 2nd tour under their own name, but the mists of time have left my hard-drive (memory) quite fragmented.

Anyone know why they changed their name to the Persuaders (name clash with 2nd group; split with label & / or manager) ???

Social source share

Ray Lewis for me: Simply because it has the fantastic "Sitting At Home With My Baby" on the flip.

Regards,

Dave

That`s what i bought Ray Lewis for ages ago so was pleased when it turned out to be a great double sider :P .

Any body know what year these records got released?

Social source share

I have an lp version by Al Thomas on a tiny label that Keb gave me some years ago, i think its great, bit more uptempo than the other versions, anyone know of it?. Al is female by the way & I'd hazard a guess at 75ish.

Can you post up a clip Arthur?

Social source share

Yes Bob. Great LP despite the phoney audience!

:)

Sean

I haven't listened to it in many years, I look forward to listening to their version of that track (I can't at 1am without pissing off the neighbors). Thanks everyone for giving me more info.

Social source share

Hi Mike,

Think I'd have said O'Jays was first. Poindexter written and all that.

Always thought it was the best version. Who on earth can out sing Eddie Levert?

But I don't expect Wayne to agree with me, lol

:)

Sean

Finally found the Ojay`s lp with that track on it in the racks.Sure it`s not from 68,self titled/Blue cover with Ojays and track listings on front cover??

The Poindexter brothers wrote some great songs.

Your right Sean re Leverts vocals being the dogs,not played that track for ages,will let you know later. :g:

Social source share

Finally found the Ojay`s lp with that track on it in the racks.Sure it`s not from 68,self titled/Blue cover with Ojays and track listings on front cover??

The Poindexter brothers wrote some great songs.

Your right Sean re Leverts vocals being the dogs,not played that track for ages,will let you know later. :g:

Thats the one I have but its a later issue, the first one is called On Top, but exactly same tracks and is from 68. I never realised until some helpful chap explained they were the same although its all on Discogs.

Hope you are enjoying the Olympics mate... :D

Social source share

Thats the one I have but its a later issue, the first one is called On Top, but exactly same tracks and is from 68. I never realised until some helpful chap explained they were the same although its all on Discogs.

Hope you are enjoying the Olympics mate... :D

I thought it was, i just googled it and it came out in 75,oh my god i have a 2rd press :ohmy: .I expect to be lined up later and pelted with cabbage/rotten Apples :facepalm: .

No i`m not ranting_1.gif .Not earning any money,very quiet out and half of London is no access now. DON`T GET ME STARTED ON THE OLYMPIC LANES :dash2:

Trust your giving London a wide berth ??

Social source share

Best get the CD that has the full album sans applause! plus some nice unreleased stuff.

https://www.amazon.co...44017101&sr=8-1

Mike

I actually have that CD, I have a huge bag of CDs that I bring to my radio show in case someone requests something or if the next DJ doesn't show up (before people flip out every other thing i play is 45s). Anyways, I opened it up a few weeks ago and the CD was cracked in half, I was pissed.

Social source share

I actually have that CD, I have a huge bag of CDs that I bring to my radio show in case someone requests something or if the next DJ doesn't show up (before people flip out every other thing i play is 45s). Anyways, I opened it up a few weeks ago and the CD was cracked in half, I was pissed.

If you want a CDR replacement Bob pm me and I'll send you one. Mike

Social source share

I thought it was, i just googled it and it came out in 75,oh my god i have a 2rd press :ohmy: .I expect to be lined up later and pelted with cabbage/rotten Apples :facepalm: .

No i`m not ranting_1.gif .Not earning any money,very quiet out and half of London is no access now. DON`T GET ME STARTED ON THE OLYMPIC LANES :dash2:

Trust your giving London a wide berth ??

Its a legit repress mate, I atually have at least 2 and I think 3 different releases of it, althought not the first, kept buying one thinking I would find one without the studio noise but no luck!

And yes avoiding London, all the consultants are all up here working for the three weeks which might explain your lack of turnover mate, the expenses gravy train is currently in Edinburgh I suspect!

Social source share

If you want a CDR replacement Bob pm me and I'll send you one. Mike

I really appreciate the offer -- I just finished illegally downloading it though. For law enforcement types out there, here is proof of ownership:

post-5120-0-72939300-1344421317_thumb.jp

Edited by boba
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Its a legit repress mate, I atually have at least 2 and I think 3 different releases of it, althought not the first, kept buying one thinking I would find one without the studio noise but no luck!

And yes avoiding London, all the consultants are all up here working for the three weeks which might explain your lack of turnover mate, the expenses gravy train is currently in Edinburgh I suspect!

I knew if it was legit cos it had a proper cover with heavy grey cardboard etc,if memory serves(still not had time to play it) there`s a lot of `live` tracks on lp.Will look out for the `68` copy.(If anyone has a copy for sale,let me know).

Good news is it`s a bit better this week,think a few people are starting to creep back(apart from the city lot).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!