Under Rated Records ?

Mike

Ultimations is magic too!

Does under rated automatically = cheap?

It's almost a case of inverted snobbery at times it seems whereby once the 'rare' tag is attached and/or something is expensive it's automatically deemed by some to be sh*t lol.

Anyone with a bit of commitment and one ear has always been able to build a collection of quality original records without going bust haven't they?

For me, the thread also underlines that its not necessarily about trying to be 'progressive' all the time either. Looking back pays dividends too I always think

A very good point Phil, particularly with reference to "inverted snobbery", and whilst certainly not criticising the rare element with regards to playlists in general, it only goes to prove by virtue of a lot of the 45's featured, that there are many great records that stay under the radar purely because they are deemed "cheap"......Great thread once again I might add :hatsoff2:

Edited by wilxy
Social source share

This thread highlights just why most soul nights and allnighters are rubbish. Appart from a couple, these are records that should never be played "out" they're simply not good enough to get people excited, and dancing. That's why they are cheap.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Looking at both threads (underrated and overrated records) and looking at the people who like or hate certain records, I think part of the problem is that people are using two different criteria to judge the records. Obviously this is not an absolute split and the only criteria people are using, but I think some people are judging records as "northern soul" tracks and others are judging records as "soul" tracks. These are obviously two very different things.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This thread highlights just why most soul nights and allnighters are rubbish. Appart from a couple, these are records that should never be played "out" they're simply not good enough to get people excited, and dancing. That's why they are cheap.

You're right to a certain extent Phil.But the remit for this thread is "Underated",in any genre.? These tunes aren't meant to represent a soul night or allnighter are they? Horses for course and all that Phil.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

not sure the cheap aspect has any baring mate....your nighter was/is so bloody good because of the great cheap records that got/get played along with the quality rare stuff.....and in fact it has been that very fact that does excite the folk there.....in the main as long as they're upbeat and maintain the vibe they are super tunes...As i,ve said time and again.......play going out soul records out and staying in soul records indoors....and car soul ....yep in the car lol.........only when someone trys to change this simple maxim do they fail

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

...since when has cheap = crap? Not everyone is driven by rarity and value. Some of the worst records played on this scene are expensive. Pure snobbery from many promoters and DJ's.

Hallelujah! A great record is a great record - cheap, expensive, rare, available or unachievable for most..

Here's an example of a 5 quid record that speaks for itself:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

Didn't think you went anywhere anymore Phil?

The topic isn't about what should or shouldn't be played at a soul night or an all-nighter, just simply under-rated records, for whatever reason. And since when has cheap = crap? Not everyone is driven by rarity and value. Some of the worst records played on this scene are expensive. Pure snobbery from many promoters and DJ's.

I can't understand why some feel the need to come on every topic and complain about something that is supposed to be a bit of fun.

here here well said that man :thumbsup:
Social source share

Strange that..........I thought the thread was about under rated records from a played out perspective? Hence people saying things like "never hear this played these days" How can a record be "rated" if it isn't played out?

On my comment about price, you have misunderstood my point. There are many records out there that are very common, yet have a very high value, why? because they are fantastic and everybody wants to own them. Occasionally, a cheap record gets a few plays and bang, it has a reaction. Said record disappears and the price goes through the roof. It's the same record it always was and is still a common record but everyone is looking for it, so it becomes hard to find. I like a cheap record as much as the next guy, in fact there are a lot of "big money rarities" that I wouldn't give tuppence for.

The fact is, there are too many people Dj'ing who don't have any taste, and wouldn't know a dance record if it hit them in the head. And that Chalky is why I don't go out anymore.

Try and remember it's supposed to be a DANCE scene.

Edited by Quinvy
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

There are plenty DJing with taste playing dance music from cheap to expensive but you wouldn't know that not having been out for a long time? You speak as though you know better than anyone else?

Too many of late seem to like nothing better than drag a topic down in my PERSONAL opinion.

Like I said this topic is a bit of fun and simply about the music so just for once can we leave the the politics about DJ's and promoters with no taste for another topic.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I didn't think that to be honest, just thought it was about underrated records full stop.

Here's a rare one that is totally underrated and absolutely fantastic

Still gets plays Pete, Andy Dyson plays it occasionally and off course it was a Dean/Kitch cover up early 90's.

Social source share

Hallelujah! A great record is a great record - cheap, expensive, rare, available or unachievable for most..

Here's an example of a 5 quid record that speaks for itself:

Another Great tune from Faith Hope and Charity--No trespassin- on Sussex, absolutel Van McCoy magic..

Tony

Social source share

Guest trojan skin

three more that I think are underated but I dont go out much these days so might not be anymore :)

the jackson brothers, I've got to hear it from you.providence

zz hill, what more,kent

the brothers cain,sure is groovy.atac

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Because they're cheap, less people know them as they haven't had the exposure - duh.

It was a rhetorical question Pete. :thumbsup:

Social source share

three more that I think are underated but I dont go out much these days so might not be anymore :)

the jackson brothers, I've got to hear it from you.providence

zz hill, what more,kent

the brothers cain,sure is groovy.atac

Ahhh, how the devil are you mate?

Jackson Bros and Bros Cain always in my box pal. Get yourself out, I miss your optimism.

Wasn't Jackson Bros originally covered up as Rufus Lumley or sommat ike that? Heard it out last night actually and still sounds great. Bros Cain was an old Rob Marriott c/u wasn't it?

Social source share

Speaking of 'ZZ' (or another one) always thought this would have been a staple on the scene today but seems to hardly get a mention.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvuUrVTkhrc

Yep, there were loads like this at the time. Big, big records with a very short shelf life. A similar example being the great Tommy Tate one hundred mile an hourer - You taught me how to love.

Social source share

Guest Soul galore brum

A few of my underrated sounds at the budget end.

Love,guess who. Martha Reeves & Vandellas. Gordy

No stranger to love. Inez & Charlie Foxx. Musicor

Stealing love. The Emotions. Volt

Trustin in you. Patti la Belle & Bluebelles. Atlantic

The Whoo pee. Joe Simon. VJ

Ain't it the truth. Mary Wells. 20th Century

Gotta get to know you. Bobby Bland. Duke

I need you now. Tata Vega. Tamla

Thank your mother. Edward Hamilton & Arabians. Mary Jane

Sold on you. Johnny Moore. Bright Starr

Soul Galore Brum

Social source share

Late to this so not had chance to read them all just yet,so sorry if some of these have already been mentioned.........

Darrow Fletcher - I Like The Way I Feel Revue

Ann Peebles-Slipped,Tripped & Fell In Love Hi

Millie Jackson - Breakaway Spring

Ollie Jackson - Just A Little While Pepper

Benny Poole-Pearl.Baby Pearl Solid Hit

Chambers Brothers - My Baby Takes Care Of Business Columbia

Gene McDaniels - Sweet Lover No More Columbia

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Guest trojan skin

Ahhh, how the devil are you mate?

Jackson Bros and Bros Cain always in my box pal. Get yourself out, I miss your optimism.

Wasn't Jackson Bros originally covered up as Rufus Lumley or sommat ike that? Heard it out last night actually and still sounds great. Bros Cain was an old Rob Marriott c/u wasn't it?

I will get to your do one day phil the play list look very good

how about

gino, its only a paper moon,golden crest

the monorays, love, 20th century

shades of jade is it wrong,cenco

Social source share

I will get to your do one day phil the play list look very good

how about

gino, its only a paper moon,golden crest

the monorays, love, 20th century

shades of jade is it wrong,cenco

The only tune I can live with from these is 'Shades Of Jade' for the intro, as for the others each to their own, but "it's Only A Paper Moon' cost me a ton in the mid-eighties and I still don't know why I bought the thing - c'est la vie!

Social source share

One that had bypassed me till about 3 years back & was chuffed to bits to pick a m- promo up for $20 off the net. ..... Thought I read somewhere it was a 'Torch' tune initially? ...... As you say though Joan... Fantastic!

I'll take your word for it because despite appearance to the contrary the Torch was waaayyy before my time :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!