5 Du-Tones: Sweet Lips White Label Matrix Numbers

I have a test pressing of this with blank white labels & matrix numbers in the dead wax that read:

3071 (and then in small letters) IRC/45. The flip says: 3092 IRC/45.

Does this correspond with genuine releases? I believe the release number for this in the OneDerful catalogue is 4828, so I would have expected this to show in the deadwax, not the numbers I've given.

Can anyone let me know if this a reissue, boot or genuine release? TIA...

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I have a test pressing of this with blank white labels & matrix numbers in the dead wax that read:

3071 (and then in small letters) IRC/45. The flip says: 3092 IRC/45.

Does this correspond with genuine releases? I believe the release number for this in the OneDerful catalogue is 4828, so I would have expected this to show in the deadwax, not the numbers I've given.

Can anyone let me know if this a reissue, boot or genuine release? TIA...

Same as my orig issue.

Believe these are the 'Masters' numbers as on the label (issue number is on the bottom of the label, but the master number is on the right above the time)

See the Liz Lands here to see what I mean:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIZ-LANDS-DONT-SHUT-ME-OUT-ONE-DERFUL-/150860759627?pt=UK_Records&hash=item232000824b#ht_500wt_1287

Edited by pikeys dog
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes, my original issue has the same . The 3000 series was One-derful's regular pressing number series (except when they had the odd pressing done at Columbia Midwest (Chicago/Terre Haute)-then they had the ZTSC (of course). M-Pac subsidiary also used the 3000 series, as did One-derful's Gospel subsidiary, Halo Records, and also later Leaner label, Toddlin' Town (at least the earliest releases of that label did). What is interesting, is that subsidiary, Mar-V-Lus, unlike all the others, used a 2000 series!

Social source share

What do you mean by "re-issued"? Their hits like "The Town I Live in" by McKinley Mitchell, "Twine Time" by Alvin Cash & Crawlers, and "Shake A Tail Feather" by The Five Du-Tones were all pressed again on their original labels after their chart runs, to take advantage of the oldies market. "The Town I Live In" was also pressed up later on Midas Records. Are you talking about post-1970 pressings?

Social source share

Sort of Robb.The examples you give for instance.Would the re-press have diff matrix numbers?

No, The matrix numbers were the same, when the record was re-issued by the same company. In the case of The Midas pressing of "The Town I Live In", the matrix number is different (possibly because it was pressed at a different plant, or possibly remastered.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert