Mr Manships Auction Results 25-7-2012

7260sm.jpg

Major Burkes

Break These Chains C/w Who Was The Fool

One of two 45s this Austin Texas based Soul Man recorded for Bill Quinn's Houston label. Both 45s are full on Texas Northern Soul backed with suicidal despairing Deep Soul ballads of the highest calibre.

Major plagiarizes Darrell Banks's timeless "Open The Door To Your Heart" for the Northern Soul side, writing different and highly effective lyrics, retaining the signature DB horn riffs pace, thus creating a fabulous mid-pace Northern Soul dancer elevated by this Texans ear-piercing vocal.

Flip it over the mood fall into an abyss of desperation, his pleading vocalreaching out through a funeral style hammond and horns...

Two fabulous examples of street-level Texas soul delivered by a man, who feels every note! This offering has perfect vinyl & labels!

Sorry, this item has already been won!

The winning bid was £ 356.00

7271sm.jpg

O. V. Wright

What Did You Tell This Girl Of Mine C/w What About You

So MINT we are using the soundfile from the 1967 Back Beat 586 release.

This gleaming as new SUE 4043 press is perhaps unplayed!

Having said that the main reason for the listing is 3 fold. 1. Condition 2. It's a seldom seen SUE # with huge rarity credibility. 3. It has a flipside that every most-every Northern Soul fan has missed.

"What Did You Tell This Girl Of Mine" is awesome Texas Northern Soul, a solid proper standout dancer of real substance. The flip is as you'd expect from O. V. is a funeral paced Deep Soul ballad, a mood changing few minutes of the hurting-kind.

If you like your British 45 perfectionist, who lives for that awe inspiring moment, of spying sparse sprinkling of fine dust on the vinyl, that tells you this has never been out of it's jacket in a age. This record is for you.

PERFECT and offering to outrageous SOUL recordings in it's rarest form.

The winning bid was £ 258.00

7270sm.jpg

Major Lance

You Don't Want Me No More C/w Wait Till I Get You In My Arms

Above all 45s this historic piece is considered the "Anthem" of Stoke's Golden Torch - the NS shrine, that on a cold and miserable night of Dec. 9th. 1972 a steaming-sweating standing room only crowd paid homage to this great man, an event that to this day is universally consider Northern Soul's greatest happening.

Of all his Okeh recordings this one held it's mystic for over 4 decades as unlike his other classics it never got issued in Britain, and ironically is more "Northern" than any of his sessions.

Before you today is an impeccable PROMO bristling with all the same seductive charm that it would have had, sitting in a 50 count carry case 40 years before.

A timeless NS piece of the very highest calibre...

The winning bid was £ 336.00

7269sm.jpg

Tamala Lewis

You Won't Say Nothing C/w If You Can Stand Me

Comfortably sitting right in the TOP TEN all-time rarest of the rare - most wanted girl vocal Northern Soul 45s ever made.

A click of the soundfile will reveal why this 45 is considered a huge Northern Soul trophy piece with few equals in it's genre.

George Clinton, Fuzzy Haskins & Ernie Harris craft another mid-60s masterpiece a few years before they left on their spaceship, which I consider their finest achievement in their long and controversial career.

Condition of labels and both vinyls are impeccable.

The winning bid was £ 2,014.00

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

7264sm.jpg

Sweet Pearl

You Mean Everything To Me C/w While We Are Together

If any city was gonna resist the 80s trend of moving away from real instruments for the dreaded synthesizer, it was Memphis; a city who's streets seemed to be littered with talented horn blowers & bass guitarists by the dozen.

So how refreshing, in fact totally gratifying to encounter this 1981 sublime Bluff City double hitter.

You are about to listen to exactly the reason we all love soul in the first place. Gentle guitar opens for classy fluid horns to set the tone for a beautifully delivered Soul Sister vocal crafting a Soulful-stepper of the highest quality. Dreamy, sultry sexy soul just perfect for devotees of Soul Essence or The Orwell atmosphere.

Flip it over for a "Summer In the Parks" paced 80s runaway-train rhythm full-on dancer. Frantically full of all the ingredients required to build a funk based dance 80s dance tune whilst still retaining all the soulful aspects of the mid-paced a-side.

Its an awesome double-delight and of course a current play for the upfront rare-soul DJ choice. .

The winning bid was £ 304.00

7241sm.jpg

Luvs

We Kiss In The Shadows C/w You Used To Be

Crate digging for vinyl is a sickness, like an housewife, you can sometimes wonder why am I on my hands and knees for so little reward?

My brief trip to the East Coast recently I found my addiction for scrambling through 45s had not left me, the vinyl-addictiveness came back with a vengeance. I dug for an hour or two with discouraging sparse results.

Then like most of us have down from time to time, a gem emerges from mediocrity. To my astonishment I found this girl-group trophy in MINTunplayed condition. Two records later a Trade Martin on Stallion widened my eyes, again totally Mint.

So feast your eyes on this lucky moment I'm sharing with you, 60s girl group records do not come much rarer but in MINT it's an extremely Rare 45 indeed.

As is Trade Martin, these two gave me my fix until i next see the next box of jumbled up 45... then with no shame I'll be on my hands and knees again...

The winning bid was £ 40.00

7256sm.jpg

Jean Banks

Jailer

Right down and dirty Popcorn Northern Soul!

A thoroughly moody Popcorn R&B flavoured 60s groove! So very atmospheric, waiting for an exclusive dark-steamy club experience! Hideously RARE and obscure Soulville USA production by Dino E. Courreay assisted by Samuel Williams Sr. Exactly who are they?

This ridiculously rare 45 carries huge potential for the DJ who grinds out obscurities for atmospheric effect!

The winning bid was £ 267.00

7259sm.jpg

Apple & Three Oranges

True Love Will Never Die C/w Down Home Publicity

Soul-vinyl archeologists of Los Angeles have extolled to extreme skills of this Edward Nelson harmony group for decades, with only ever a sparse example of his outstanding group's work coming to light.

Of the three of their utterly rare "Sagittarius" 45s this one gives up an exquisite vocal-harmony experience backed with a "Hunk Of Funk"

a floating saxophone intro supports a rap intro then slowly but surely the vocal backup get to work on pulling you into a sublimely soulful experience. Then "Apple" stretches his vocal-chords a little and a divine soul session is taking shape! Harmony ballads DO NOT get any better than this....

Flip it over and this gathering flex there musical talent on a street level Los Angeles FUNK!

Wow, what a soul band these guys were...go check out everything they created!

The winning bid was £ 249.00

Social source share

7257sm.jpg

Krush

(hey Bro.) Hang Tough

Just how many Northern Soul offerings come from the USA state of Hawaii?

Certainly very few, so with haste, check out this stupidly rare uplifting modern soul dancer. Feel-good production gives up a strong lead vocal, supported by a vocal group chorus and a full instrumental accompaniment providing the perfect dance arrangement.

Rhythmic, joyous and totally infectious dance tune and of course stupidly obscure.

The winning bid was £ 116.00

7258sm.jpg

Malcolm Hayes

Searchin' For My Baby C/w She's The One I Love

An explosive drum roll collides with horns and Malcolm Hayes's muscular vocal delivering a mighty uptempo choppy, changey proper full-on Northern Soul. The compulsory screaming girl-group for those real-deal NS dancers are there in full voice!

All the components fuse into a Tsunami of sound, incessant, compelling and potent stuff that will leave you not only breathless but also wondering why this killer is not a Northern Soul trophy..as this is no easy find.

If the a-side is not enough to send you scampering for the mouse, check out the mid-tempo flipside that is also a cool-tune. But to be honest totally pales in comparison to the runaway dancefloor steamroller of an a-side.

The winning bid was £ 109.00

7266sm.jpg

Wilee Mcewen

Hello Darling

R&B GUYS!

Tell me of a record with more NS POTENCY than this hideously obscure &muscular Hollywood creation.

From the first note this floor-destroyer just rips up everything in it's path. Angry drums, blaring horns are out-stripped by the snarling of Wilee McEwan vocal on his relentless single-minded journey to dance-hall destruction.

In the right hands this could rise to be a MONSTER, only the lack of DJ action has prevented this obvious R&B Barbarian from invading the most-wanted charts.

The winning bid was £ 97.00

7272sm.jpg

Mongo Santamaria

El Pussy Cat C/w Black Eyed Peas & Rice

1965 British press, that all British Soul students will confirm is one of if notTHE toughest CBS to secure. So it will come as no surprise that not only is it a raresoulman auction debutant but also the first copy we've had in the last 15 years.

Infectious Latin / Mod / Boo-ga-loo Northern Soul dance tune that has been a popular turntable choice from the 1964 USA Columbia 43171 for decades.

As this CBS 201766, few collectors or DJs can boast of owning.

The winning bid was £ 57.00

Social source share

7267sm.jpg

Isley Brothers

Shout !

Album collectors let's get serious.

A flawless 1959 UK press in STEREO!!

Vinyl is totally immaculate, original STEREO text poly-lined inner sleeve is perfect as are both the label. Cover under strict scrutiny reveals only the light signs of handling. The high quality laminated cover is so near perfect also. NO writing, stains, tears or laminate veins or lift. A minuscule mark at the right opening, and a tiny, tiny crease directly opposite on the left. (see scan)

The opening line of the liner notes made me pause for thought. "One lad is till in his teens and the other two barely passed their twenties.. Isley Brothers Ronald, Rudolph and O'Kelly " What a career these guy were to have.. a worldwide adulation not only from Soul fans but most-everyone.

Personally I want a Tee-Shirt of this groundbreaking album's front cover..

The winning bid was £ 73.00

7265sm.jpg

Four Tops

Baby I Need Your Loving

In 1964 one man's decision changed the life of Levi Stubbles and friends.

Berry Gordy originally signed this iconic vocal-group to sing jazz & harmony on Motown's Jazz Workshop label, they even cut an album that was quickly shelved when they tried their hand at Holland - Dozier - Holland latest creation.

The result of their debut Motown 45 was a million seller, and the Four Tops taking a totally different course in their career, ending up decades later as being universally recognized as one of the greatest soul-vocal-groups of all time.

This example is, "simply put it's one of the greatest songs ever written and performed" (YouTube)

On offer today is, simply put it's rarest most desirable format. Utterly rare, utterly gorgeous & utterly awesome!

The winning bid was £ 110.0

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert