Over Rated Records

Daz

Guest turntableterra

i was going to make a comment.......but then i thought if we were all the same then we would all be dancing to the top 100. one mans meat and all that. i have joe jama, was one of the first owners of joey delorenzo, own a cobblestone, cajun heart, holly st james, johnny caswell, tommy navaro, frankie and johnny, julian covey. the one that doesnt do it for ME though is "home is where the heart is"

Social source share

Epitome Of Sound

Nolan Porter - could be sure

Troy Dodds

Sam Fletcher

Dramatics - inky feckin ding dand f*ck you

What???? I know it's all about opinions but that defies logic.

If this was a thread about tracks that have faded from respect because of overplay, then I could understand it, but over-rated? Surely not.

Social source share

What???? I know it's all about opinions but that defies logic.

If this was a thread about tracks that have faded from respect because of overplay, then I could understand it, but over-rated? Surely not.

Absolutely detest it with a passion, i always have and have never quite got this one as far as it being in most peoples top 10 ever,

but flip it over as we know, then there is quality "where were you" is far far better.....imho!!

Then again i love the javells, joey delerenzo, even judy street!! so wtf do i know??

Social source share

Or as the lads on the long gone KISS FM Manchester used to phonetically call it - THE EPPI-TOME OF SOUND

hahahahaha my mate Jeff Bell always called it that till i told him a couple of years back!

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

Not only is that one of the most over rated records of all times, for me it has to be one of the worst, awful record. Our lass loves it and Nicola gave her a boot of it........I'm ashamed to have it on my shelves :lol:

CHALKY

YOU ARE FUNNY CHALKY. PMSL. but i do know what you mean.and it has had its day with me too. but in the day it was ALWAYS a winner to the dancers. but i suppose FLYNNY must have enjoyed as much as me coz he did a trade for it from me. like i said it wouldnt do us all being the same. i feel the same about "home is where the heart is"..............biggest load of drivel going. i think what we need to do is put all this into perspective like i said about the top 100. all these records have a part to play on the northern scene as they helped build it. in their day people danced to them. i saw the floor packed AT WIGAN to 9 times out of 10, tim tam etc and i see the floor packs to "home is where the heart is". you could say they helped us identify the quality tunes. i have also seen a few so called top dj play an hour of, what i can only politely say, new and unknown to me and most others at cleethorpes. we never went again. personal taste i believe it to be called. BUT GUYS KEEP THE TUNES COMMING, LOVING THE THREAD

RAIN .................................................OUT OF MY MIND

SOMEBODY AND SOMEONE..........GOT TO GET YOU INTO MY LIFE

NIGHTWATCH..................................LIPS TO YOUR HEART

JUDITH DURHAM.............................AGAIN AND AGAIN

TONY BLACKBURN .........................JOKES ON YOU

Social source share

The recent thread entitled "Underated Records" got 189 replies.

This 'Overated Records' thread is up to 417 replies...... and counting

Makes you wonder how we ever had a scene in the first place! :lol: ..

In a nutshell most records get over rated by the peolpe who follow that genre.

Either because of The mood when you first heard it (the vibe of the place ,or drugs you happened to be on etc.) sometimes a yearning to hear something new (instead of the same old stuff) and in the case of NS to talk and impress about the same.

To still rate them well in no particular order A, one mans poison etc. B,only listen to it when double up for it,C,The rareity of the tune and expectation to hear it D,Memory of first hearing it venue etc.E,Shit taste or just a great tune F,Peer pressure.G,A DJ or seller.

I've just come in from a night (booze only)out so I'll leave it at that and see if it makes sense in the morning.

Brian

Social source share

ALthough I was being a smartass above, seriously, what cobblestone label 45 is the one in question here? I can think of at least two very rare northern records on the label. Thanks.

I think he meant Cobblestone - "trick me treat me" on Mercury, Bob.Not Tommy Dent.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Ok,hows this for cat,pigeons and shite.

Butchs Jean Carter acetate - There are reasons why some things are not released.

Jing a ling a crap acetate - Seee above.

Johnny Praye - Danceable pop

Now for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never ever ever ever ever ever got Otis Redding and dont own a single effort by him.

Social source share

Butchs Jean Carter acetate - There are reasons why some things are not released.

I never ever ever ever ever ever got Otis Redding and dont own a single effort by him.

:ohmy: :ohmy:

Social source share

And you never even mentioned Margaret Little once.

Otis Redding, go and listen to Cigarette And Coffee, after washing your ears out. Philistine.

Done any more disappearing acts lately??

Social source share

Doug effing Banks - just total and utter shite.

Pete would say pretty much all of Shrine apart from Caledonia Brown, I'd just say mostly the really rare ones.

Agree 100% on Otis Redding - 90% of it is just cartoon soul made for white middle class hippies to feel right on about being into.

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Are we talking about marmite records? Or love/hate records? To me, "over rated" means the track is ok, or even good but by far not as good as demand/price/popularity would suggest. Therefore my nominees are:

Margaret Little

Tommy & The Derbys

Milton James

I agree ( Milton James is ok though)

Margaret Little is the perfect song for Cilla Black :lol:

Social source share

Yes but the topic is about what we think is over-rated isn't it so what did he expect?

But what you think is over rated is another mans favourite record ..so it is pointless ..and while we are here ..is it only rare records or can we mention cheapies that get played out and raved about ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!