Over Rated Records

Daz

I'm a soul lover and I hate:

Anything southern - full of morons who can't sing

Disco and any sort of 70's soul - namby pamby crap

The Four Tops and The Temptations - Detroit? do me a favour! Tuneless wonders

Anything on RCA

Funk - Fatback band nonsense

Especially can't stand The Impressions and or Curtis Mayfield - hugely over rated and second rate.

Got to agree with the Impressions .....

...... I mean, what good soul tracks were ever cut in Chicago !!!

... and as for Detroit; a true soul desert IMHO.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

but a quick look at the first page says that you were one of the early posters ?

in fact if if you look at the majority of posters they are all long time members and to a certain degree the talk is fairly run of the mill

only negative side that concerns me is people jumping in and trying to make out this thread is something that it aint

Yes I was, I have no problem with topics such as this and with being involved. Far from feeling a frustration myself is what I want to say..

It is just that I couldnt help but by using all the empathy I can read between the lines of Joels post some sort of frustration. Not so much about (only) this topic but maybe with a general situation...but whatever the case, its all too hypthetical.

Maybe I am totally wrong and hes fine and just trying to be funny. Or worse..he really doesnt like the genres he just mentioned LOL (of course not!)

Social source share

Mr Soul is a nice enough record. I don't know if I'd pay the money for one today but it definitely had allnighter magic sprinkled over it for a long time.

The other two records are titans and among the best and most soulful sides ever played if you ask me. What aspect of the Masqueraders turns you off so much? It's got everything and is one of the Northern records with the most absolutely mind-blowing vocal performances from lead and group. The arrangement is pin sharp, dynamic, there are breaks and the song is a good one, self-penned by a great group.

I've said on here before that if Lou Pride were discovered today people would be fighting each other in the streets to own a copy. A powerful, truly soulful and unique sounding record by a great artist.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

It would be boring if we all liked the same records!

sure would Chalky, and like i said my oipnion so dont have to qualify why to anyone, although there is a clue in the post lol. i love a lot of records that people dislike on here (mello souls, etc), fine, their opinion

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes I was, I have no problem with topics such as this and with being involved. Far from feeling a frustration myself is what I want to say..

It is just that I couldnt help but by using all the empathy I can read between the lines of Joels post some sort of frustration. Not so much about (only) this topic but maybe with a general situation...but whatever the case, its all too hypthetical.

Maybe I am totally wrong and hes fine and just trying to be funny. Or worse..he really doesnt like the genres he just mentioned LOL (of course not!)

Yes I suppose that is right to a degree - I was just mucking about obviously but I just think that sometimes the whole thing in an online sense can seem massively negative - which is in stark contrast to the vibe of most nights i've ever attended in the real world be they oldies or newies, funk etc etc. I would like to point out that i'm not ragging this site in particular; as a fairly long standing member I think is a great resource for all things soul. Of course we can't all like the same stuff, I appreciate that, but I think Bob had a very good (and amusingly put) point. I worry about how it all looks to the scant new blood (be they young, old....whatever).

J

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

I worry about how it all looks to the scant new blood (be they young, old....whatever).

J

Why, do you think they're going to see some old people disagreeing on a website and decide it's too dangerous and negative to go to a venue in case they run into us and we moan at them?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I worry about how it all looks to the scant new blood (be they young, old....whatever).

J

Hi Joel, Don't worry mate, most of the youngbloods are creating their own scenes and not engaging with us old time "Waldorf & Statlers" :lol: And quite right that they should as well, I mean what self respecting youngster would want to be hanging out with a load of old pot bellied baldies in fancy dress harking back to the 1970s (and that's just the women :lol:) .

It's a bit like imagining us lot (not you Joel I realise you are a bit younger :D:)in the 70s trying to hang round with a load of codgers who were teenagers in the mid 1930s before World War 2, it just wouldn't happen except down the local Legion maybe.

Thank goodness the music is built to transcend generations. :thumbsup:

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

'Why, do you think they're going to see some old people disagreeing on a website and decide it's too dangerous and negative to go to a venue in case they run into us and we moan at them?'

Is this out of the realms of possibility?? :D

Keep an eye out for young uns coming into the venues then go up behind them and start moaning about OVO and pop stompers, every time they move away, follow them :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I don't get it. why proffer an opinion and then not be prepared to explain and/or justify it? I said I didn't like Patrinell Staten as I thought it was a below average performance both vocally and musically.I have listened to it several times (got it on a CD) and tried to get acquainted with it but have failed miserably. I could have said it's dog shite full stop, that's my opinion and I don't have to explain it or justify it to anyone on here, but what would be the point of that? Mr Soul for me too is an underwhelmer, but the other two are masterpieces of the genre for all the reason Gareth gave. There's no harm in being incredulous at someone else's opinion, as long as it doesn't descend into ridicule and such like.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

'Why, do you think they're going to see some old people disagreeing on a website and decide it's too dangerous and negative to go to a venue in case they run into us and we moan at them?'

Joel,iv'e decided that everyone under 40 should face a records amnesty.Giving their records away at the next opportunity.Starting with you.!!!.............(curtis mayfield indeed.....) :lol:

Social source share

I suspect any young ones reading the site will know the one place they won't find the biggest moaners (including me before anyone takes an Olympic huff) is in a venue....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

sure would Chalky, and like i said my oipnion so dont have to qualify why to anyone, although there is a clue in the post lol. i love a lot of records that people dislike on here (mello souls, etc), fine, their opinion

We all have individual tastes Grant and it is the diverse taste of us all that make it such a great scene.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't get it. why proffer an opinion and then not be prepared to explain and/or justify it? I said I didn't like Patrinell Staten as I thought it was a below average performance both vocally and musically.I have listened to it several times (got it on a CD) and tried to get acquainted with it but have failed miserably. I could have said it's dog shite full stop, that's my opinion and I don't have to explain it or justify it to anyone on here, but what would be the point of that? Mr Soul for me too is an underwhelmer, but the other two are masterpieces of the genre for all the reason Gareth gave. There's no harm in being incredulous at someone else's opinion, as long as it doesn't descend into ridicule and such like.

if u must know. i think their crap, simples. mr soul boring dross, cant sing for toffee, masqueraders ear piercing, has just never done it for me, lou pride again messy and probably has one of the worst enders for a tune i can think off, in other words they make me head for the bar not the dancefloor, all happy now? well thats MY opinion

Social source share

I haven't read the whole thread but as a Seattle resident, if that counts for anything, I am in some agreement about Patrinell Staten. I think her singing is fine but the song is mediocre and there's really no thought to arrangement and sense of feeling by the musicians, as expected as the recording was a thrown together session by players who were a long way from the Funk Brothers. In general the whole Wheedles Groove deal has been played out way beyond expiration date, most of the soul/funk records from here are mediocre at best.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

if u must know. i think their crap, simples. mr soul boring dross, cant sing for toffee, masqueraders ear piercing, has just never done it for me, lou pride again messy and probably has one of the worst enders for a tune i can think off, in other words they make me head for the bar not the dancefloor, all happy now? well thats MY opinion

Well I didn't have to know, but thanks anyway for taking the time to be a little more specific. :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Mr Soul - What Happened To Yesterday - absolute bobbins

Lou Pride - Im Comin Home etc - makes the ears bleed

Masqueraders - Do You Love Me Baby - uugh

only my opinion of course :)

:ohmy: Wow! I am amazed at the difference in taste that we are all on the same forum. I agree whole heartedly with Mr. Soul, but the other two?

Lou Pride to me is just a tour de force, and I regret to say I've never managed to own a copy. Even the instrumental version is epic.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

Lou Pride to me is just a tour de force, and I regret to say I've never managed to own a copy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How terribly sad :ohmy:

Social source share

I haven't read the whole thread but as a Seattle resident, if that counts for anything, I am in some agreement about Patrinell Staten. I think her singing is fine but the song is mediocre and there's really no thought to arrangement and sense of feeling by the musicians, as expected as the recording was a thrown together session by players who were a long way from the Funk Brothers. In general the whole Wheedles Groove deal has been played out way beyond expiration date, most of the soul/funk records from here are mediocre at best.

I definitely can see seattle stuff (esp. the wheedle's groove comp stuff) being mediocre but there are a bunch of excellent group 45s (slow or uptempo) from the city. Somehow I managed to get almost all the seattle records I needed for much cheaper than the going rate. The best one by far imo is Jonah's Whale "why", killer sweet soul.

Social source share

c'mon grant, typical SS? there's no other way the thread could go, is there? it would be pretty sterile if we all just mentioned our top 5 all-time turkeys with no corresponding discussion as to their merits or faults. nobody's attacking anybody for finding a particular record naff. neither is anybody donning the black cap. preferences are like colours, there's lots of different shades. I once heard a mate dismiss lenny curtis as midtempo crap. I reserve(d) the right to remain incredulous on that one, but think none the worse of him for his 'crime'... :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The first Northern record I thought was over-rated was Eddie Parker's "Love You Baby". I bought it blind when i first seriously got into NS after seeing it at No2 in some poll (Blues and Soul I think). It wasn't that I didn't like it. I just didn't think it was that good. I much prefer I'm Gone, which coincidentlay had to be one of the most played records at the WC Oldies nights 80 -81. I'm sure one night every single DJ played it.

Social source share

See to me Lou Pride is just a fabulous 45. Overplayed sure. But the energy and mayhem on the record is just awesome. Then there's the story about how he rung his g/f and was missing her, so wrote the song one night....then there's the Hi / royal Studios connection. Then there's the fact, I saw one at Wigan in 77, but at £35 it was totally outside of my price range and had to wait another 10 years to get one. Then there was the fact that Lou was a really great guy, with a long pedigree and someone who'd never been given the breaks he deserved in the biz.

Whilst I probably wouldn't play I.C.H.I.T.M out, or want to hear some DJ spin it, I'd never ever sell it or hear a bad word said against it.

well, in that case you better be happy you didnt make it to our 22nd anni festivities in the end as I played it out on sat around a quarter to three...nobody was moaning, some might have been screaming though..

Agree on the rest of what you say though, awesome artist and awesome 45. so sad he recently passed away. never ever would I sell mine (which came from the producer btw) or any other of my lou pride records and cd`s (yes, cd`s LOL).

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Propper overated get me a bucket I,m going to be sick song The Winstons - Colour him father .

Oh yes and Terry Callier , overated poo

Any particular Terry Callier track you are referring to or just him generally? If the latter, that's daft.

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

you couldnt be more wrong mate :thumbsup:

Regards Lou Pride, the first two thirds I reckon are up there with anything ever made, brilliant, the last third when it turns into a horrible jazz workout is terrible, that's why a lot of people don't like it.

Masqueraders, never done anything for me, pedestrian uptempo dancer.

Mr Soul - nice tune, nothing special. Rarity over quality.

So I don't think Grant's choices are particularly controversial.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Regards Lou Pride, the first two thirds I reckon are up there with anything ever made, brilliant, the last third when it turns into a horrible jazz workout is terrible, that's why a lot of people don't like it.

personally exactly that jazzy workout is one of the many aspects why I love this tune. tricky for a DJ to keep the flow afterwards but one that really does the business is this fabulous tune which is also on our current Anniversary Free - Give away CD

https://youtu.be/SECyOfszgAI

Social source share

It used to annoy me when djs cut out the horns at the end of manifesto and that guitar 'freak out' in the middle of 'a lot of love' by taj mahal. All or nothing!!

To be fair Macca, the guitar freak out in Taj Mahal was only on the LP version, it was wisely edited out of the 7" version for airplay purposes.

Social source share

It used to annoy me when djs cut out the horns at the end of manifesto and that guitar 'freak out' in the middle of 'a lot of love' by taj mahal. All or nothing!!

could be a cue for another thread Macca ....which records were spoiled by that annoying 'middle' or 'ending' bit lol

love Taj Mahal tune btw :wink:

Social source share

could be a cue for another thread Macca ....which records were spoiled by that annoying 'middle' or 'ending' bit lol

love Taj Mahal tune btw :wink:

great idea..theres some tunes that will immediately spring to my mind... back on the old subject...a tune I just cant stand anymore (once had the 45 myself some years ago and loved it..):

Courtis Davis "Try To Think What You Are Doing"

Social source share

To be fair Macca, the guitar freak out in Taj Mahal was only on the LP version, it was wisely edited out of the 7" version for airplay purposes.

True. I bought The Natchl Blues off Manship, and the 7" (hairline crack nap) at Notts Palais in 1978. Talk about obsessed.

Social source share

Love Taj, he played in our local square as part of a Jazz festival a couple years back. Lots of calypso type stuff, loud hawaiin shirt, fedora, shades. I was in the second row shouting for A Lot Of Love and got it, though I guess he'd have played it anyway.

I was chuffed.

Social source share

Any particular Terry Callier track you are referring to or just him generally? If the latter, that's daft.

Ordinary Joe bloody awful :yes: not over keen on what Ive heard of the rest of his output , so as for daft guilty as charged m,lord :thumbsup::hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

great idea..theres some tunes that will immediately spring to my mind... back on the old subject...a tune I just cant stand anymore (once had the 45 myself some years ago and loved it..):

Courtis Davis "Try To Think What You Are Doing"

with u on that one marc, was great once upon a time but some tunes u just grow out of i suppose, sadly never had one though :(

Edited by grant
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!