Soulful Covers

Guest TONY ROUNCE

It is always hard covering a well known tune and adding your mark on it.

always thought Al Green and the Hi team were very brave tackling the Beatles "I want to hold your hand", if anything is straight pop that is it. But Al turns in a very gritty performance, that is unmystakably an Hi production.

One of the best records ever to come out of Memphis. Al sings it like a man who's just won the lottery...

Social source share

That's a very good post Tony and your example of The Isleys is a really good one. But for every Isleys, who clearly had a feel for this type of material and where they themselves could take it, there are dozens of examples where the reverse seems true. Artists and arrangers had zero feel for the songs and often appeared just plain puzzled by the material. I think Pickett's rock covers largely fall into this trap and that's despite my respect for his masterful voice and the skills of the musicians at Fame or American or wherever these were cut.

A soul version of a rock hit I actually enjoy is Charles Mann's "Do It Again", where it's turned into a Philly dance romp. Not one thousandth as good as Steely Dan's original though.

of course 99% of soul covers of pop songs are garbage. I don't even think they're usually crossover attempts -- they're usually album fillers or 45 b-sides (the ones on the a-side are possible crossover attempts). Lots of pop cover a-sides aren't even crossover attempts, they're covers of pop records that were popular on R&B radio and with R&B audiences. Like everyone loved "make it with you", and there are 9 billion covers of it, but I've never heard a soul version better than the original.

I would think this thread is about covers that transform a pop hit (especially a crappy pop hit) into a new, excellent sound. I like the isley's version of summer breeze way better than the original, but it's not really an inherent change to me. But Isaac Hayes 20+ minute version of "by the time I get to phoenix" is totally flipping the original song (like it or not, it's totally different).

My favorite rock album of all time is pretty much all covers ... they even make nature boy sound good.

Social source share

Guest drewid

The Drifters version of McCartney's 'Every Night' from his first solo LP - and their first Bell single - is sublime. I'm willing to bet that very few people on SS have ever heard it, or even heard OF it...

Don't necessarily agree with you all the way about Laura N, as I think the 5th Dimension intepreted her songs beautifully - particularly 'Wedding Bell Blues'. Marilyn McCoo really sings her heart out on the 5th's version and (almost) makes the song her own.

But generally her versions of her songs are better than those of others, on that we CAN agree!

I also adore the Staple Singers' version of 'Stoned Soul Picnic', an originally unissued Stax track that my colleague and boss Roger Armstrong unearthed and put on one of the 'Volts Of Stax' CD compilations in the 90s.

re the drifters lp tony , i used to listen to that lp ,think it was all mc cartney /lennon covers wasnt it? they really nailed some of the songs ,if not all of them! especially "every night" also i think there was one track called "4 and 20 hrs "or something like that ,id forgot about that lp,but im willing to bet im one of your few that do know the lp!!, one of my fave covers is the persuaders ,make it with you ,(bread)
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!