Soulful Covers

Being a bit of a soul snob and purist in my youth, I usually dismissed soul artists covering other artists songs, especially hits as "not soul"

Oh dear what a fool.

anyway things have changed a bit now and many of these tracks find their way onto my ipod playlist or my late night record playing.

Recently though I was blown away by rediscovering Bobby Blands version of Aint no Sunshine on Malaco.

Boy this has grabbed me like no other track I've heard this century.

I cannot understand it as before, the original of this song grated something awful with me. But Bobby just makes this track his own and the production is superb. It reminds me of the job his mate B B King did on the old song the thrill is gone, raising the song to another level.

What covers have caught you unawares and headed up your favourites list?

dave banks

Social source share

Jose Feliciano did a few really guduns. Reffa of course lived on covers, most being the best.

Loving Curtis M songs as much as I do; there are some really good covers of his compositions ... & a few not so guduns. If the Imps cut a version of a Curtis M song, I always class this as the original ... even if the likes of Major Lance, Gene Chandler, Walter Jackson, etc had the hit 45 version.

For the worst soul covers, you need look no further than any one of 100's of UK 'beat group' versions of fine soul songs .... but the real murderer of the best of soul songs was Janis 'I can't sing for toffee' Joplin.

Social source share

Jose Feliciano did a few really guduns. Reffa of course lived on covers, most being the best.

Loving Curtis M songs as much as I do; there are some really good covers of his compositions ... & a few not so guduns. If the Imps cut a version of a Curtis M song, I always class this as the original ... even if the likes of Major Lance, Gene Chandler, Walter Jackson, etc had the hit 45 version.

For the worst soul covers, you need look no further than any one of 100's of UK 'beat group' versions of fine soul songs .... but the real murderer of the best of soul songs was Janis 'I can't sing for toffee' Joplin.

It's unbelievable but I had no idea that "I'm The One" by Jerry Butler on VeeJay was the original version of "I'm the one who loves you" by The Impressions, until I played it the other night!

Social source share

Guest Soulatthedale

Otis Leavill's version of Glad I Met You, Willie Hutch's cover of I'll Be There and Freddie Hughes Youre My Everything

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Hard to pick an absolute fave soul cover of a non-soul record but this would be up there.

James Carr's cover of the Bee Gees

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Agree this is better.....................but let's face it................it's crap whoever sings it!!

Absolute bollocks!!!l

So that's YOUR opinion Carol but I disagree with ya, Admittedly not Pickett's best but I like it so your post is IMO is "absolute bollocks!!!"

Social source share

I guess this is a guilty pleasure but I've always liked it, back in the days when all sorts of mad records were played and there was less naval gazing :)

Nice one Lofty.....................would get me on the dance floor, no problem!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

So that's YOUR opinion Carol but I disagree with ya, Admittedly not Pickett's best but I like it so your post is IMO is "absolute bollocks!!!"

Yes Sugar, it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it just the same as you!!! :glare:

Bye, bye Sugar, lol............ :thumbsup:

Edited by Carol J
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Yes Sugar, it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it just the same as you!!! :glare:

Bye, bye Sugar, lol............ :thumbsup:

Yeah your opinion but we don't always have to voice our opinion. Your post was ok until the "absolute bollocks" bit which was unnecessary. Let's face it we all hear stuff on here that folks like but personally "think" is a loada bollocks but most have the manners to either keep stum or simply state they don't like it.

Anyway I don't come on here to fall out with folks so we'll leave it at that.

I'm out

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Yeah your opinion but we don't always have to voice our opinion. Your post was ok until the "absolute bollocks" bit which was unnecessary. Let's face it we all hear stuff on here that folks like but personally "think" is a loada bollocks but most have the manners to either keep stum or simply state they don't like it.

Anyway I don't come on here to fall out with folks so we'll leave it at that.

I'm out

Me neither......................but if you can't stand the heat........................not my problem!!! Takre a CHILL PILL!!!

I'll get me coat!!!!

Edited by Carol J
Social source share

The Paramounts (who evolved into Procol Harum) cut a version of the Coasters "Poison Ivy" in 1963

YEARS LATER ... after some early Procol Harum members quit the group, old members of the Paramounts were recruited to fill the gaps in the group's line up. This change in personnel seemed to trigger a swing back more to the original group's R&B beginnings ....

............ Here's a Procol Harum fans thoughts on what the group were up to in the mid 70's ....

.... Further exploring the roots of rock, Procol Harum now allied themselves with the legendary writing team of Leiber & Stoller. They produced the follow-up album, 'Procol's Ninth.' Again, despite the Beethoven allusion, this was rock, not a symphonic roll. Released in April of 1975, the album gave Gary a chance to show off the old PARAMOUNTS enthusiasm for Leiber & Stoller's writing. Instead of a Coasters cover, this time he sang a Chuck Jackson number: 'I Keep Forgettin'' An improvement on the original thanks to Gary's vocals and the absence of novelty percussion, it should've been a hit single.

OF COURSE the group's version of "I Keep Forgettin" was much better than Chuck's original ... I mean, Chuck hardly had a decent vocal style did he !!!!

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Couple of nice ones for me are 5Th Dimensions "Harlem" and O C Smiths "Baby i nee your loving" oh and Hal Fraziers "Walk on by" incredible voice he,s got

Edited by espo
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

How can one person be so wrong and so right in the same sentence.

There are many, MANY great beat group covers/revivals of soul and R&B songs - to say otherwise is to speak complete and utter tosh.

Indeed, there are several that are considerably better than the soul originals. I'd list a few of those for you now but I don't think this thread should veer off topic so soon in its gestation...

Janis Joplin, however, mangled every great song that she ever sung and should never have been let near a microphone, let alone Jerry Ragovoy's back catalogue...

The best soul revival of a soul classic? Probably impossible to choose just one, but I'm always very partial to these for starters (original version in parentheses):

Otis Clay - Do Right Woman Do Right Man (Aretha Franklin)

Donny Hathaway - What's Going On (Marvin Gaye)

Etta James - Tell Mama (Clarence Carter)

The Staple Singers - The Dock Of The Bay (Otis Redding)

Millie Jackson - (If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want To Be Right (Luther Ingram)

Aretha Franklin -Until You Come Back To Me (Stevie Wonder)

Freddie Scott (or Jackie Wilson) - Open The Door To Your Heart (Darrell Banks)

Toussaint McCall - Let's Do it Over (Joe Simon)

...and probably a few hundred more.

The worst soul revival of a soul classic as is and always will be Aretha's truly abominable version of 'Respect', a record that deserves no such thing.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The Paramounts (who evolved into Procol Harum) cut a version of the Coasters "Poison Ivy" in 1963

YEARS LATER ... after some early Procol Harum members quit the group, old members of the Paramounts were recruited to fill the gaps in the group's line up. This change in personnel seemed to trigger a swing back more to the original group's R&B beginnings ....

............ Here's a Procol Harum fans thoughts on what the group were up to in the mid 70's ....

.... Further exploring the roots of rock, Procol Harum now allied themselves with the legendary writing team of Leiber & Stoller. They produced the follow-up album, 'Procol's Ninth.' Again, despite the Beethoven allusion, this was rock, not a symphonic roll. Released in April of 1975, the album gave Gary a chance to show off the old PARAMOUNTS enthusiasm for Leiber & Stoller's writing. Instead of a Coasters cover, this time he sang a Chuck Jackson number: 'I Keep Forgettin'' An improvement on the original thanks to Gary's vocals and the absence of novelty percussion, it should've been a hit single.

OF COURSE the group's version of "I Keep Forgettin" was much better than Chuck's original ... I mean, Chuck hardly had a decent vocal style did he !!!!

I can assure you that I was not thinking of the Paramounts when I poured scorn on your rash asserion that all beat group covers of soul songs were and are inferior to the originals.

Their version of the Impressions' 'I'm The One Who Loves You' is truly among the very worst artefacts of its era. I didn't think that there's any point on the song where Gary Brooker connects with Curtis Mayfield's original lyrics apart from the opening two words, 'Little Girl'...

I do like his voice, though, and I think he made a pretty credible stab at 'I Keep Forgettin'' with Procol Harum - although it's definitely not in the same league as Chuck Jackson's despite what that obviously-biased Procol fan might have thought.

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest aintgotit

get down with it by slade. the bobbettes it all over now. everything by alton ellis.going back to my roots by ritchie havens.

Social source share

I guess this is a guilty pleasure but I've always liked it, back in the days when all sorts of mad records were played and there was less naval gazing :)

As Johnny Jones and the king casuals were Hendrix,s band isnt this the original ? then Jimi covered it as a solo artist . Or have I just confused myself trying to be a smartarse :thumbsup::thumbup:

Social source share

As Johnny Jones and the king casuals were Hendrix,s band isnt this the original ? then Jimi covered it as a solo artist . Or have I just confused myself trying to be a smartarse :thumbsup::thumbup:

Think you probably have Mark :o) I was aware of the connection but I thought Hendrix was circa '66 whereas Johnny Jones was an early William Bell Peachtree effort '68? Mike

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It is if you consider Bill Withers a soul artist. :thumbsup: Apart from Withers writing it and it being on Sussex, its a Stax record.

Is he not a soul artist? that was what my question was about. he got played on R&B radio.

I don't understand your comment about it being a stax record, can you clarify?

Also, it would be funnier if you just called my post "bollocks".

Social source share

Is he not a soul artist? that was what my question was about. he got played on R&B radio.

I don't understand your comment about it being a stax record, can you clarify?

Also, it would be funnier if you just called my post "bollocks".

I'd call him a soul artist, but I've also heard people call him a folk singer, so it's down to personal interpretation and the original poster feels he isn't soul. Saying that, you could say that about a lot of black Singer-Songwriters such as Nolan Porter, Terry Callier, Richie Havens or Joan Armatrading.

It was recorded in Memphis, produced and arranged by Booker T Jones (for his own production company). It was engineered by Terry Manning who worked for Stax and Ardent. Duck Dunn was on Base and Al Jackson was on drums. There's a lot of Stax in there for a non-Stax record.

Not too sure where the bollocks part comes in, though?

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!