What About This

Bazza

So are you saying its acceptable to play CD's at a venue,give over Chalky

Bazza

Of cause it is, the only issue is playing things from the original format, whether that was vinyl, CD, Mp3...I think the vinyl thing is a red herring, its about original format, cos of our scene that means on the whole vinyl 45's....but not exclusively, its really about not playing bootlegs or reissues, what ever the format....if something is LP only, play the LP, if it is CD only, play the CD, if it is download only, play the download....as I say OVO only is a complete red herring, it should be original format only OFO.

Best Russ

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Of cause it is, the only issue is playing things from the original format, whether that was vinyl, CD, Mp3...I think the vinyl thing is a red herring, its about original format, cos of our scene that means on the whole vinyl 45's....but not exclusively, its really about not playing bootlegs or reissues, what ever the format....if something is LP only, play the LP, if it is CD only, play the CD, if it is download only, play the download....as I say OVO only is a complete red herring, it should be original format only OFO.

Best Russ

Yep ,I agree, if you had read the full post you would see that,your quoting me out of context

Bazza

Edited by Bazza
Social source share

Your right in principle Russ, but in reality most venues aren't set up to play anything other than vinyl, unless its modern or the dreaded cheesy oldies venue, with perhaps some former big name from the hacyon days, earning a crust on his rep, whilst having sold his collection, and imho, his credibility, but I digress. :lol: so if I had something that wasnt availble on anything other than CD, or file, I'd want to get a dub of it cut just for practicality. Do you have a cd player plumbed in at lifeline Chalky? :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

. Do you have a cd player plumbed in at lifeline Chalky? :wink:

Yes we do, haven't used it myself but pretty sure Cliff has.

Why waste 25 quid or whatever it is now on a dub when the original release of said cut is probably a cd?

This isn't about former DJ's playing classics burnt to cd so lets not go there again, we are talking about genuine cd releases, even if it is originally alongside a vinyl release.

Sharon Jones I have most of her stuff, mainly on download as that suits my listening method fo many newer releases, on the ipod, I've no intention of playing her stuff out. But i wouldn't have any qualms playing her cd out if it suited or any other artist that had a cd release alongside a vinyl release.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest john s

if I had something that wasnt availble on anything other than CD, or file, I'd want to get a dub of it cut just for practicality. Do you have a cd player plumbed in at lifeline Chalky? :wink:

To be fair, you can pick up a portable CD player for a tenner any day of the week on ebay, so you could always take your own... :)

Social source share

Yes we do, haven't used it myself but pretty sure Cliff has.

Why waste 25 quid or whatever it is now on a dub when the original release of said cut is probably a cd?

This isn't about former DJ's playing classics burnt to cd so lets not go there again, we are talking about genuine cd releases, even if it is originally alongside a vinyl release.

Sharon Jones I have most of her stuff, mainly on download as that suits my listening method fo many newer releases, on the ipod, I've no intention of playing her stuff out. But i wouldn't have any qualms playing her cd out if it suited or any other artist that had a cd release alongside a vinyl release.

sorry chalky I was being naughty and got caught out! Your spot on about it though and If I thought the guests wanted to use one I'd bring one to saturdays Change night, I'm just a vinyl fetishist really, that would be my prime reason for cutting a slate of a CD only track really, I just like to dj from vinyl, cd's are fine at hme for me, but even then, 2nd best.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!