What About This

Bazza

Hello Bazza,

One of the very best tracks of 2007.

I raved over it when the LP was first released and sent a license enquiry to Daptone because I wanted to issue a 7" single on Selecta / Shotgun but they didn't respond.

It sounds even better with the passing of time.

Paul

Social source share

Hello Bazza,

One of the very best tracks of 2007.

I raved over it when the LP was first released and sent a license enquiry to Daptone because I wanted to issue a 7" single on Selecta / Shotgun but they didn't respond.

It sounds even better with the passing of time.

Paul

Didn't that annoy you, that they didn't reply?

Social source share

Didn't that annoy you, that they didn't reply?

Hello

It's probably my fault for not trying harder. It was a busy year, I issued a few new things on Selecta in 2007 and there was the Eli 'Paperboy' Reed single and I think I also started the Shotgun label that year.

But I think it would have been a good boost for Sharon's UK profile at that time. You can't really get much of a buzz on a track in the UK unless it's on a 7" single.

By the way, I'm pretty sure they did a 7" test press in the US so maybe they considered doing a single themselves ?

Paul

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

I would dance me socks of to it,but because of OVO it will never be played out .......shame

does that really make sense,im not so sure

Bazza :shades:

you could play it off the CD or the LP as the original surely, depends if the venue has a cd player

Social source share

you could play it off the CD or the LP as the original surely, depends if the venue has a cd player

What would the soul police say to that :) ,I totally agree tho original media only ,here we go again, OVO is strangling this scene just my opinion of course

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bazza how the hell are you mate, bin yonks. This is excellent very Late Cleethorpes 70's (My era) and the intro reminds me of something I know but cant for life of me remember what. :g::dash2:

Old age & poverty gets us all in the end,

Spot. :shades:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bazza how the hell are you mate, bin yonks. This is excellent very Late Cleethorpes 70's (My era) and the intro reminds me of something I know but cant for life of me remember what. :g::dash2:

Old age & poverty gets us all in the end,

Spot. :shades:

Ayup Pete its been a while 2 or 3 years I bet ,hope your doing ok my old chum

Bazza

Social source share

Hello Sean,

That's the promo I meant (not a test pressing as I said) from 2008 but it was very limited.

It really should have had a commercial release in 2007, certainly for the UK market.

Paul

and don' forget 'Back to black' by Amy Winehouse was released late 2006 and the buzz on that was throughout 2007 - perhaps they felt it was not neccessary to sub lease material to a small UK label - or indeed respond to the request. Just a thought, Mike

Social source share

and don' forget 'Back to black' by Amy Winehouse was released late 2006 and the buzz on that was throughout 2007 - perhaps they felt it was not neccessary to sub lease material to a small UK label - or indeed respond to the request. Just a thought, Mike

Hello Mike,

Probably true, they'll have been looking at other options (for albums) at the time and all I showed interest in was a 7" single which would have had some potential for the UK but maybe not so much in other territories.

They did actually discuss it with me but there wasn't any further response and I got busy with other things.

At the time I'd been offered a distribution deal with Pinnacle (who went bust the following year) so a Sharon Jones single could have been interesting but without distribution I'd have struggled to sell more than 500 which wouldn't have been enough to really interest them.

Having said that, I don't think any company sells 7" singles in very high quantities and contemporary stuff usually gets shipped into HMV to retail at £1.99 or even less so the net dealer price is often just pennies above the manufacturing cost.

No wonder I've since focused more on vintage things.

Paul

Social source share

What would the soul police say to that :) ,I totally agree tho original media only ,here we go again, OVO is strangling this scene just my opinion of course

nah, disagree

have heard daptone and other contemporary releases all over the place in past years, nighters, quality events, local dos etc etc

I turn it around and ask if you aint heard any then maybe its the type of events that you go to that are doing the strangling?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Don't forget Sharon's albums are also available to download from itunes etc.

Paul

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Bold statement there Bazza , can I ask what the statement is based on , or which scene you mean ?

Social source share

No Mak,Just my opinion as I said .and i have no wish to engage in an OVO v the rest argument

Bazza

From what I can see there is only you that brought the arguement up about OVO and the boring soul police comment. If you've no wish to engage in this then why ask the question and then begin to mention OVO over more than one post?

Just play the cd or LP. The LP is often the original format with 45 releases taken from the LP. I have no issue whatsoever about playing a track off an LP if it is cheaper than he 45, Luther being one example.

Social source share

From what I can see there is only you that brought the arguement up about OVO and the boring soul police comment. If you've no wish to engage in this then why ask the question and then begin to mention OVO over more than one post?

Just play the cd or LP. The LP is often the original format with 45 releases taken from the LP. I have no issue whatsoever about playing a track off an LP if it is cheaper than he 45, Luther being one example.

So are you saying its acceptable to play CD's at a venue,give over Chalky

Bazza

Social source share

Gazza do we have to take it down the OVO/cd route again, how many topic s do we want about this.

You asked a question and got an answer. The cd is as far as I can tell as original as the vinyl release.

I'm not advocating the playing of various artist compilations CDs, far from it.

But if an artist releases new material via the cd format what is wrong with playing that?

Social source share

Gazza do we have to take it down the OVO/cd route again, how many topic s do we want about this.

You asked a question and got an answer. The cd is as far as I can tell as original as the vinyl release.

I'm not advocating the playing of various artist compilations CDs, far from it.

But if an artist releases new material via the cd format what is wrong with playing that?

No Chalky ,I said i dint want to go down OVO v CD's route ,but your provoking it again, So playing CD's under certain circumstances Is ok ,round and round we go

Bazza

Social source share

So this cd even though it is an origianl format can't be played simply because a vinyl format was released at the same time.

Im not going round and round, you are. You asked a queton and didnt like the answer you got so you turn it into another OVO debate. It's not even a Northern Soul Record....i mean its not as though it is a 60's release is it, it's a 2007 release.

This scene is disappearing further and further up its own arse.

If you don't want to play it then don't simple as that.

Social source share

So this cd even though it is an origianl format can't be played simply because a vinyl format was released at the same time.

Im not going round and round, you are. You asked a queton and didnt like the answer you got so you turn it into another OVO debate. It's not even a Northern Soul Record....i mean its not as though it is a 60's release is it, it's a 2007 release.

This scene is disappearing further and further up its own arse.

If you don't want to play it then don't simple as that.

I think you are misunderstanding Me ,I have nothing against it being played off CD or any other track that is only on CD,but some would say its opening the door to abuse.I hope i've made myself clear

Bazza

Social source share

So because this isn't cd only, it can't be played even though it was released on cd alongside the vinyl copy and is just as legitimate?

No wonder kids don't want to be involved in this side of the soul scene!

Chalky your just being argumentative,that is not what I meant,and you know it, twist things to suit yourself ,if that's what pleases you,Ill say no more on it

Bazza

Social source share

So because this isn't cd only, it can't be played even though it was released on cd alongside the vinyl copy and is just as legitimate?

No wonder kids don't want to be involved in this side of the soul scene!

I know we've done this many times before, but the format music is being played off of, would have very little impact IMO to kids coming onto the northern scene. We're old, we're grumpy, we're set in our ways, when ''kids'' go out they want to identify with the other people around them, not many will do that surrounded by OAPs.

You said in post 40 ''it's not even northern soul'', citing it's release date as the reason, can it look forward to being embraced in 2042 or is it forever consigned to the bins because it's not a 6Ts release? Personally I think it's time the parameters were widened, so that quality music from any era can take it's rightful place.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I know we've done this many times before, but the format music is being played off of, would have very little impact IMO to kids coming onto the northern scene. We're old, we're grumpy, we're set in our ways, when ''kids'' go out they want to identify with the other people around them, not many will do that surrounded by OAPs.

You said in post 40 ''it's not even northern soul'', citing it's release date as the reason, can it look forward to being embraced in 2042 or is it forever consigned to the bins because it's not a 6Ts release? Personally I think it's time the parameters were widened, so that quality music from any era can take it's rightful place.

Burn him! Burn Him!

:lol:

Social source share

Im be trying to get a copy of the lp on vinyl to play at octobers Change night, great cut, wish was on 7 but I cant see why anyone would have a problem with me playing it off the lp, for the sake of OVO.

"Tell Me" WAS released on an official US Daptone 7" / 45.

If you're talking about some other tune, please ignore this.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Personally I think it's time the parameters were widened, so that quality music from any era can take it's rightful place.

Winnie :-) it always has done for me buddy :wink:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!