The Icemen - 45S Listings,

Dave in 2006 when Memory Lane was still open I walked in and they had one on the desk, I said how much is that, he said £150, I said ok I'll have it, I bought it, went outside, phoned up Mick and said you interested in The Icemen, he says how much, I said £300, he said yeah sure.... :lol:

:hatsoff2: HI PETE......Nice one, and another MEMORY LANE find, I had a few excellent bargains from them,DEAN JONES DEMO £5. "soft walk-in" TOTO PIC SLEEVE £10, JIMMY THOMAS DEMO £20, & many records for under £5,

If you look again at my posting, you will see that I put RN in it, this refers to one of my favourite collectors, who's knowledge on soul music facts is outstanding. I'm talking about Roger Nichols from Willingly, Roger gave me a box of rare 45s to sell, all quality & all rare, in the box was OLE-9 on a blue press, I had the box for about 6 weeks, I met Mick at the services on the M6 & showed him the box,

(now we go back many years, and most records I have sold mick have always been at the same price I got them for, and he did the same in return, remember the day you wanted the Screamin Jay Hawkins DECCA DEMO, that I got of Mick? that was a typical deal)

when it come to putting a price on the record I said £200, he thought about it, but turned it down, I assumed he thought I had to have got it for £100 and that I had marked it up???

I think you had just moved back from Kent, just a few moths later, and I bet Roger had sold it to John, as he had got a few thousand from him,

Now I was told Mick had paid £400 for a copy, but your selling price seems to be what a dealer would pay, but if both records are the same record it means you mugged him or Mick mugged himself, only if it's the same record,

:wicked: I won't tell him! :rofl: DAVE

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI PETE......Nice one, and another MEMORY LANE find, I had a few excellent bargains from them,DEAN JONES DEMO £5. "soft walk-in" TOTO PIC SLEEVE £10, JIMMY THOMAS DEMO £20, & many records for under £5,

If you look again at my posting, you will see that I put RN in it, this refers to one of my favourite collectors, who's knowledge on soul music facts is outstanding. I'm talking about Roger Nichols from Willingly, Roger gave me a box of rare 45s to sell, all quality & all rare, in the box was OLE-9 on a blue press, I had the box for about 6 weeks, I met Mick at the services on the M6 & showed him the box,

(now we go back many years, and most records I have sold mick have always been at the same price I got them for, and he did the same in return, remember the day you wanted the Screamin Jay Hawkins DECCA DEMO, that I got of Mick? that was a typical deal)

when it come to putting a price on the record I said £200, he thought about it, but turned it down, I assumed he thought I had to have got it for £100 and that I had marked it up???

I think you had just moved back from Kent, just a few moths later, and I bet Roger had sold it to John, as he had got a few thousand from him,

Now I was told Mick had paid £400 for a copy, but your selling price seems to be what a dealer would pay, but if both records are the same record it means you mugged him or Mick mugged himself, only if it's the same record,

:wicked: I won't tell him! :rofl: DAVE

It's the same record Dave, it was definitely Roger's copy, maybe I did charge him £400, however much it was it was double what I paid for it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

For myself, and from a Northern Soul point of view, the storming pounding, ' (I Wonder) What It Takes', wins hands down over all their other tracks, including ITYK...easily! This is a real powerhouse thumping all-nighter tune with all the right ingredients to make it on main floors...imo.

I see this has popped up within JohnM's current auction pieces...currently riding at £159 :ohmy:

Social source share

Jimmy Hendrix played on the Icemen's Samar 45 tracks ("She's A Fox" & "What It Takes"). The tracks were cut in Abtone studio, New York in mid June 1966.

Abtone Studio was on Broadway, between 55th and 56th. The studio was located on the second floor & was an 8 track set-up.

INFO: (My girl) She's a fox -- Composers: Richard Poindexter & Robert Poindexter

Arranged by: Lonnie Youngblood Producer: Johnny Brantley

The Icemen were Gino Armstrong & James Stokes -- did they ever do anything else (recording wise) after the Icemen ??.

............... https://www.sirshambl...cemen/index.php

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• 2 months later...

Hi Steve, you say yours is black vinyl, but is it still black facing back a direct light ? Mine looks black, but it's red barely see through behind a light ! Like those Kurt Harris on Diamond vinyl pressings, they're all (or most) see through brownish colours behind a light. But they seem plain black otherwise. How's your Icemen on OLE-9 then ? The same as mine or black even behind a light source ? Cheers, Tim

I have "it's time you knew" on black vinyl, not blue.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!