The Icemen - 45S Listings,

:hatsoff2: HI ALL...Just been looking at the RARESOULMANS AUCTION, When I saw a ICEMEN 45, a great record, however the group did several great records, the one I am interested in come out on blue vinyl only? but I can't remember the title at all, as they did record good soul any chance that someone can give some info about them, and if possible try to put the record that I am trying to remember up?

:rofl: DAVE

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

has anybody else recorded a version of the flip to the ole 9 "its gonna take time" ?

agree on the ABC fox track dave love that one. :thumbsup:

It's Gonna Take A Lot ( To Bring My Baby Back)

Manhattans did it mate with slightly diffo title

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI AND THANKS SOULSORCE at it's best, very best, yes that's the one and it would be my record of the day, but as I don't have it, I will make a differant choice, this as far as I no is far more rarer than most records that fetch over the £500 mark, I remember £25 on00 a list in 85 I offerd a copy to Mick S for £200 12 years back, he declined that copy got £400, for RN.

AGAIN THANKS for posting this classic of the RARE SOUL SCENE :thumbup: DAVE

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Yes Dave, "How can I get over a fox like you" to me is the better one, both good but "How" is exceptional

Kev

Agree with ya Kev. Exceptional soul for under a tenner.

Or as some muggins said to me once "It's alright but ya can't dance to it" :dash2:

[media=]

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Or as some muggins said to me once "It's alright but ya can't dance to it" :dash2:

[media=]

Amazin, was given this by a lad at work, back in '72, for the same reason Dave.

His fave record was 'Cool Jerk' so I can see why it wasn't really his cup o' tea, in retrospect!

:0)

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

[media=]

Could be lucky to see it for a tenner these days Dave, seen it for a lot more, in fact don,t see it listed much these days, with reference to "dance", refer Funk thread :lol:

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I never noticed before but that linda jones 45 is the first Loma and after record i can think of that has female backing.

I always thought the vest record was their last 45. Does it say "1965" on the record?

as long as this is the "say stuff about the icemen thread" I might as well be the first person to mention that Jimi Hendrix supposedly played on the Samar 45s.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest rosies dad

Speaking of the Jimi Hendrix connection, There is an album called The Genius Of Jimi Hendrix, which i believe was put out by Johnny Brantley..? I have the album somewhere in the basement and if i remember correctly it is nothing but lonnie youngblood/Brantley recordings with a lot of overdubbed "hendrix" guitar work...Anyway, There is a version of "it's gonna take a lot" with what sounds like a female vocalist...Not sure who it is but it is a really nice version and the whole album is worth picking up. Not rare at all I don't think.

Jacob

Social source share

[/media]

Whilst at an early Cleggy Weekender, I guy came round our chalet with some 45's for sale. Back then, Paul Temple was still allowed to 'come out to play' with the soul boys, so the guy was pitching his 45's to Paul (being a Merchant *anker he always has £100's going spare). Anyway, he put this 45 on the deck & Paul said ... "no, don't like that". Everyone else in the room jumped forward saying "If it ain't too expensive, I'll have that" (think Charlie Rees was the one who's cash was accepted). Paul T stood there nonplussed & couldn't understand why anyone would be clamouring for a 45 you couldn't dance to !!!

Needless to say, I searched out a copy right after the weekender & its been in my collection ever since.

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI I did not know it existed on BLACK that would be a lot rarer? and more £££££ to this rare record? :huh: DAVE

Hi Dave, Never thought of it as being more expensive, as I don't think people will pay more for different colour vinyl on the soul scene - unlike Queen fans etc. where colour matters :lol: I checked and my black vinyl copy came from John Manship circa 79/80 - since I reviewed it in Blackbeat in 1980/1. Would have been cheap too as I didn't have any real dosh to spend and just trawled the £1.50- £4 type of thing.

Hadn't heard the Vest one before - thanks for posting Chalky.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Whilst at an early Cleggy Weekender, I guy came round our chalet with some 45's for sale. Back then, Paul Temple was still allowed to 'come out to play' with the soul boys, so the guy was pitching his 45's to Paul (being a Merchant *anker he always has £100's going spare). Anyway, he put this 45 on the deck & Paul said ... "no, don't like that". Everyone else in the room jumped forward saying "If it ain't too expensive, I'll have that" (think Charlie Rees was the one who's cash was excepted). Paul T stood there nonplussed & couldn't understand why anyone would be clamouring for a 45 you couldn't dance to !!!

Needless to say, I searched out a copy right after the weekender & its been in my collection ever since.

Much to my regret in the 70s I was very much like that. I thought I was a "soul" fan when in reality I was a "northern" fan, they're certainly not always the same thing. How very much my tastes have changed. If only I could have all those soul packs again. 5 second play, too fast, shit pile :D

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I still have a copy of 'It's Time You Knew' that a certain Mr. Levine gave me in 1976 because he didn't think it was all that great.

I don't actually think it's all that great either, but 'It's Gonna Take A Lot (To Bring Me Back)' is undoubtedly one of the finest recordings I own, or will ever own. If I ever found myself down to my last ten records, this would be among them for that side and that side alone...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Much to my regret in the 70s I was very much like that. I thought I was a "soul" fan when in reality I was a "northern" fan, they're certainly not always the same thing. How very much my tastes have changed. If only I could have all those soul packs again. 5 second play, too fast, shit pile :D

My copy of 'Fox Like You' actually DID come out of a Contempo soul pack...

Social source share

Does anyone own the LP that the track in that youtube video is taken from? The youtube clip fades after two and a half minutes. I'm just wondering if the LP version is longer. It's on some "records jimi hendrix played on" LP, I think one of the LP comments says it. Thanks.

Social source share

Just about all the Lonnie Youngblood tracks that its claimed Hendrix played on (his Fairmount ones) have been released on numerous CD compilations .... usually badged up as 'Early Hendrix'. Many of these CD's used to be in all the UK 'discount stores' at 99p a copy (or similar prices).

You can still easily get them on-line for a few quid a copy -- think they include some Fairmount tracks that never actually escaped back in the day (some of these CD's include 2/3/4 takes on a couple of his tracks). Daft thing is, according to Lonnie Y, Hendrix didn't play on any of his sessions.

Have the 'other' Hendrix tracks (including "it's gonna take a lot") also been made available on CD in recent times (there are SO MANNYYY 'Early Hendrix' CD compilations out there, I can't find the time to check through them all).

Social source share

To add to the tangled web here is another fantastic take on the "To Bring You Back" rhythm track: from the rare George Scott album on Maple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dHdbA2wqNk

Maybe my favourite of the lot, although every variant from The Icemen, Linda Jones, Mam'selles etc. is great. The 'Gloria Barnes' sounds a bit underpowered to be her but as it's basically a demo she may have been just vocally easing herself through the song. Just pure speculation on my part.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Maybe my favourite of the lot, although every variant from The Icemen, Linda Jones, Mam'selles etc. is great. The 'Gloria Barnes' sounds a bit underpowered to be her but as it's basically a demo she may have been just vocally easing herself through the song. Just pure speculation on my part.

I actually don't really like any version except the Manhattans (although I don't own the icemen and haven't heard it much to really judge). The answer record also isn't exactly the same in lyrics or tempo (it's slower) and it sort of drags to my ear, not my favorite Linda Jones cut. Not bad records, just not great ones.

That demo version above was of the original version (not the answer record), clearly an unfinished demo but the rawness of it made it original and awesome. Does anyone have that LP or have the cut on CD and know if it's longer?

More off topic, my favorite manhattans deluxe track is "the picture became quite clear", so good.

Social source share

The Icemen, Gloria Barnes and George Scott are on the same basic rhythm track. The Manhattans is a completely different, updated cut where the bass playing among other things makes the whole thing more melodic perhaps. A great record in its own right.

The Icemen's version is a phenomenal example of the male duo sound and I wish it weren't on the other side of an expensive but so-so Northern record. Rarely mentioned in the same breath as the Icemen but Jimmy Stokes' solo record on Siana is a worthy Popcorn type effort.

Social source share

The Icemen, Gloria Barnes and George Scott are on the same basic rhythm track. The Manhattans is a completely different, updated cut where the bass playing among other things makes the whole thing more melodic perhaps. A great record in its own right.

The Icemen's version is a phenomenal example of the male duo sound and I wish it weren't on the other side of an expensive but so-so Northern record. Rarely mentioned in the same breath as the Icemen but Jimmy Stokes' solo record on Siana is a worthy Popcorn type effort.

never heard this before, thanks for posting. i like this style of music, and Jimmy Stokes' voice is recognizable and he sings well, but this sounds like a mediocre song to me. What does the other side sound like? Thanks.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The Icemen, Gloria Barnes and George Scott are on the same basic rhythm track.

That George Scott record is stupendous, but I promise you that neither it not the Gloria Barnes are on the same basic rhythm track as the Icemen's record

Gloria and George do share a backing track, though. That's a definite.

Social source share

Guest rosies dad

Bob,

The "gloria barnes" version from the LP isn't any longer than it is on the youtube video i posted. I have the album, it's called THE GENIUS of Jimi Hendrix. It's on the TRIP label, same as the Ohio Players "first impressions" LP, which was a Brantley thing as well.

jacob

Social source share

Guest rosies dad

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere else that it was supposedly Gloria Barnes, but to me it doesn't sound like her. . .and another thing makes me even wonder if it is actually a female vocal at all, the lyrics. . .there is a part where the singer says something like "Girl, this time, you won't fool me..." So is it a male singer with an EXTREMELY pretty voice? or is it a female? I apologize that my posts are off topic.

jacob

Social source share

Whilst at an early Cleggy Weekender, I guy came round our chalet with some 45's for sale. Back then, Paul Temple was still allowed to 'come out to play' with the soul boys, so the guy was pitching his 45's to Paul (being a Merchant *anker he always has £100's going spare). Anyway, he put this 45 on the deck & Paul said ... "no, don't like that". Everyone else in the room jumped forward saying "If it ain't too expensive, I'll have that" (think Charlie Rees was the one who's cash was accepted). Paul T stood there nonplussed & couldn't understand why anyone would be clamouring for a 45 you couldn't dance to !!!

That Guy was Derek Pearson and i was one who also wanted it needless to say when i got home did an ebay search and got it for about a fiver but it was around 1997.He also had a copy of Nolan Porter If i could only be sure on ABC half black vinyl and half coloured like it was pressed during the change from coloured to black.

Edited by smudger
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

To add to the tangled web here is another fantastic take on the "To Bring You Back" rhythm track: from the rare George Scott album on Maple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dHdbA2wqNk

Absolutely incredible Gareth, mentioned on the funk thread that for lovers of sweet, deep, ballads, etc, theres a bottomless pit to pull from with regards to finding incredible soul music, this is the real deal for me

Kev

Social source share

Jimmy Stokes' solo record on Siana is a worthy Popcorn type effort.

This had a few spins covered up as 'George Blackwell' many moons ago...I also recall my copy had SIANA in a plain black bold font, rather than the fancy one pictured in the YouTube clip...still had the fancy orange swirl in the background.

For myself, and from a Northern Soul point of view, the storming pounding, 'What It Takes (I Wonder)', wins hands down over all their other tracks, including ITYK...easily! This is a real powerhouse thumping all-nighter tune with all the right ingredients to make it on main floors...imo. Shame the studio instrumental take has Jim Hendrix going all psychedelic over it (called 'Psycho' on bootleg LPs.).

:hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The flip is great as well Steve. Dunno if anyone else had a listen or what they think?

I had a listen. I don't think it's anywhere near as good as you proclaim it to be, although it's certainly not bad.

Wouldn't make my personal Icemen Top 5, though...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere else that it was supposedly Gloria Barnes, but to me it doesn't sound like her. . .and another thing makes me even wonder if it is actually a female vocal at all, the lyrics. . .there is a part where the singer says something like "Girl, this time, you won't fool me..." So is it a male singer with an EXTREMELY pretty voice? or is it a female? I apologize that my posts are off topic.

jacob

Quite a few demos have surfaced over the years with a man singing a song from a woman's perspective - or vice versa - by artists as well known and diverse as Sam Dees, Dan Penn and Jackie DeShannon.

It's therefore not impossible that Gloria might just have been singing her demo for a man to cover, and therefore employing a male perspective.

Social source share

This had a few spins covered up as 'George Blackwell' many moons ago...I also recall my copy had SIANA in a plain black bold font, rather than the fancy one pictured in the YouTube clip...still had the fancy orange swirl in the background.

For myself, and from a Northern Soul point of view, the storming pounding, 'What It Takes (I Wonder)', wins hands down over all their other tracks, including ITYK...easily! This is a real powerhouse thumping all-nighter tune with all the right ingredients to make it on main floors...imo. Shame the studio instrumental take has Jim Hendrix going all psychedelic over it (called 'Psycho' on bootleg LPs.).

:hatsoff2:

"what it take" always get dance floor action great nighter sound spin imho johno

Social source share

hatsoff2.gif HI AND THANKS SOULSORCE at it's best, very best, yes that's the one and it would be my record of the day, but as I don't have it, I will make a differant choice, this as far as I no is far more rarer than most records that fetch over the £500 mark, I remember £25 on00 a list in 85 I offerd a copy to Mick S for £200 12 years back, he declined that copy got £400, for RN.

AGAIN THANKS for posting this classic of the RARE SOUL SCENE thumbup.gif DAVE

Dave in 2006 when Memory Lane was still open I walked in and they had one on the desk, I said how much is that, he said £150, I said ok I'll have it, I bought it, went outside, phoned up Mick and said you interested in The Icemen, he says how much, I said £300, he said yeah sure.... :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!