Jamaican Soul

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It sounds like a decent song. Does it really have the sound that can become "big"? It's very sparse, which works when there's a heavy beat, but this has almost no beat to it.

No it probably could never go big, it's just a nice record. There are hundreds of these Jamaican midtempo soul things out there but only one has really gone massive (Glen Miller).

Social source share

No it probably could never go big, it's just a nice record. There are hundreds of these Jamaican midtempo soul things out there but only one has really gone massive (Glen Miller).

I don't know anything about Jamaican records (although I do know something about other "island" records...) but I have heard some killer straight sweet soul harmony records. One of them was the Wailers, I was surprised. I'm too obsessive and completist to get into collecting one more thing, but they are nice when I hear them.

Social source share

I don't know anything about Jamaican records (although I do know something about other "island" records...) but I have heard some killer straight sweet soul harmony records. One of them was the Wailers, I was surprised. I'm too obsessive and completist to get into collecting one more thing, but they are nice when I hear them.

Not surprised, the Wailers made some fantastic soulful records 1964-66, all this tends to get overlooked

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I don't know anything about Jamaican records (although I do know something about other "island" records...) but I have heard some killer straight sweet soul harmony records. .

Reggae trio the Tamlins made some lovely sweet soul sides before they crossed over to their indigenous music and its rhythm.

Their 1974 version of 'Thick And Thin' on Ja. Lion is actually better than Anacostia's original.

They also did a very nice version (again in a soul style) of Pete Wingfield's 'Eighteen With A Bullet'....

Social source share

There are some tremendous jamacian soul records, Jackie Opal made some brill singles. But have a listen to the link ive pasted this is from Barbados i love it

[media=]

this is good but what interests me most are originals, like 99% of "island soul" is covers of US hits

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert