Are All Ebay Highest Bids Legit Or Phoney?

Just seen a very scratchy Bobby Kline go for £1100 and recently JT Parker sell for over $5500. Might be just my cynical mind playing overtime (and pardon to the genuine bidders who actually won these tunes) but are all the tunes that fetch astronomical prices on ebay legit? Got no evidence to say otherwise but thought it worth a mench.

Social source share

Quickest soul source reply ever. :D

Just as I'd finished typing the posting I remembered a few years ago I bid on something thinking it was in dollars when it was actually listed in pounds stirling and had to contact the seller to explain that I couldn't afford it. Perhaps there are more numptys like me around. :excl:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL well an operation as big as EBay is impossible to POLICE, in-fact they make that clear right from the start, that the EBay community is responsible for how the sight runs, which is on trust, amazing when you think how well it does run itself,

I am sure there is some bidding up on certain items that are in the auction? just the same as there is at a public auction, however some sellers use a starting price to secure the item, however, many items have starting prices that are more like ending prices, this is done from being greedy and hoping to mug someone, or by thinking they have golddust, good sellers get the good deals, however as I do not sell stuff I would like to get a fair price for a item, so would I get someone to put a bid on to cover it? what do think? :g: DAVE

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

There have been cases of people bidding on their own item, I don't understand it myself but the theory goes that if you see a starting price of £100 you might just move on, whereas if you see it advertised with an opening bid of 99p you might be tempted to bid against the other bidder and wind up paying the £100 or more. I don't see it myself but apparently even in real life auctions the auctioneer will accept bids from the wall if he thinks he can push you up in the excitement.

The downside of this for the bidder is if no one falls for it they still have to pay for the auction, and for their 'win'.

Social source share

but the theory goes that if you see a starting price of £100 you might just move on, whereas if you see it advertised with an opening bid of 99p you might be tempted to bid against the other bidder and wind up paying the £100 or more.

What you describe is part of the "game theory".believe it or not, it's proven.

Social source share

What you describe is part of the "game theory".believe it or not, it's proven.

Very much so.

I've often seen 45s with low starting bid prices go for way more than similar condition 45s listed a few hours apart with higher starting prices...sometimes the higher starting priced ones don't even attract any bids.

Social source share

Don't forget the auction items that go for more than the buy it nows

I don't think this is strange. i don't do searches on all the items I want to bid on every day until they end. Lots of people also BIN list rare records way too cheap.

Social source share

I don't think real high bids are not legit or phoney. Maybe sometimes buyer chickens out because he struggles to actually raise the cash.

But what about low-priced items, say up to $50? I somehow have a feeling that phoney or fake bids just to raise final end price are more likely in this price range? Especially UK/Euro sellers.

Social source share

99% or more of all my buyers on eBay follows through with their purchases.

It might take a while and a reminder or two to get the payment from about 3%-5% of the buyers, but bidders who chicken out or that I never hear from are few and far between.

Hope I haven't jinxed it now though... :rolleyes:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!