Questions For Nolan Porter

Guest RowedOut

Guest RowedOut

Hi everyone

I have been given the great opportunity to interview the man himself tomorrow night before his gig at The Musician in Leicester (get yourself down there btw - he's only doing a few shows this year)...

Is there any questions you would like putting to him?

The full interview will be in next weeks fanzine Heavy Soul.....

www.heavysoul45s.co.uk

Many thanks

Adam

Social source share

Here's the main part of a piece I wrote on Nolan some years back ......

..... perhaps the 'gaps' in the info here would be a good place to start when putting together questions to ask him .......

Nolan was born in 1949 in Los Angeles and his family soon realised he possessed real talent as a singer. He started to write songs when only 6 years old (his first successful composition being "I Like What You Give"). Initially, he developed his singing skills in church before developing them further in school. He quickly developed a strong love of all aspects / types of music, learning to play the viola and falling in love with the piano at the age of 12. At 15, he performed for the first time in a night club, this being at the Players Ring Theater in Westwood, California. He followed this was a performance at the Hullabaloo Club at the Aquarius Theater and then secured a gig at De Paul's Club in Hollywood whilst still only 17. After graduating from Los Angeles High School, Nolan attended Los Angeles City College where he started singing in a madrigal group together with Gabriel Mekler's sister.

Israeli born Gabriel Mekler was mainly working as a record producer for ABC-Dunhill at that time and was known for his work with the likes of 3 Dog Night, Janis Joplin and Steppenwolf. Via his sister, Nolan was introduced to Gabriel Mekler and an audition was arranged. At the time, Nolan was only singing classical music but he selected Donovan's hit song "Sunshine Superman" as his audition piece. Even though Nolan classes his performance as being lame, Gabriel heard a potential soul singer in him and insisted he start listening to recordings by the likes of Otis Redding and the Rolling Stones to become more familiar with the style of singing. Nolan followed his instructions for the next 2 years and by 1969, the pair were ready to start recording. Time was booked at Wally Heider's Studio in Hollywood and with the likes of Jimmy Carl Black, Roy Estrada and Lowell George (ex of the Mothers of Invention) handing the backing, at least 10 tracks were laid down. The majority of the songs cut were written by Nolan himself but a cover of a Stax number ("Iron Out The Rough Spots"; written by Booker T Jones / Steve Cropper / David Porter) was included to give the proposed album stronger R&B credentials. One of the songs, his "What Would You Do If I Did That To You" would later enjoy much success when covered by Steppenwolf. Another artist who linked up with Mekler at that time (1970) was Rick James. Due of this connection, Nolan & Rick ended up undertaking some performances together. These shows taking place at the Troubadour in LA and at the Corral nightclub in the Los Angeles hills.

Gabriel Mekler decided to start his own record labels and place Nolan's material on these. Thus in 1971 he opened Vulture & Lizard Records, based on Sunset Boulevard in LA. Other artists he signed to the label and wrote for / produced included the likes of Clydie King and Paul Humphrey & the Cool Aid Chemists. Paul Humprey's 1st single on Lizard climbed straight up the charts and so Nolan was recruited to work with his outfit. Nolan wrote the song "Funky LA" which Paul and his group cut. When this was released as the A side of his follow-up 45, it also made it into the top 50 of the national soul charts in August 71. By that time Nolan's own 'No Apologies' album had been released (Lizard # 20102) and this created enough interest for additional tracks to be cut for proposed single release. Thus, his first 45, "I Like What You Give" (Lizard # 1008), was released early in summer 1971. This quickly started to garner radio plays and soon broke out across the USA, making its entry on the national soul chart in July. The cut would remain on the national chart for 8 weeks, climbing to reach No. 40. Nolan had also cut a reggae style track and it was decided this had chart potential. "Groovin Out On Life" when released on the Vulture label (# 5002) under the name Frederick II, shot straight onto the charts in Nov 71(peaking at # 25 & spending 10 weeks in all on the national chart). Within days of "Groovin Out On Life" entering the charts, "Keep On Keepin On" (written by Nolan and Richard Flowers) was released as a single on Lizard (# 1010). Under the name N. F. Porter, this also became an instant national soul hit in December, making the top 40 and spending 7 weeks on chart.

Lizard / Vulture Records releases enjoyed a lot of commercial success, but the company was having to grow too fast and the people running it didn't have the same goals. The problems it faced became too great and the labels were closed down. Before the company folded, Nolan went into the Sound Factory studio and cut some new tracks, one of these being a song titled "If I Could Only Be Sure", on which Johnny Guitar Watson played. With Mekler's help, Nolan was signed to a deal with ABC Records and the tracks to fill a 2nd album were assembled (some of his earlier 45 & LP cuts being re-used). "If I Could Only Be Sure" was released on a single (ABC # 11343) and this entered the charts in February 73 where it stayed for 8 weeks reaching # 29. The success of this single and his ABC album resulted in both being released in the UK (the single forming Probe # 580). In the US, ABC lifted "Ooh Baby" off the album to form a follow up single but this failed to chart. Nolan wasn't to cut any more tracks for ABC. He did however, in conjunction with Gabriel Mekler, work on tracks for Billy Preston and Wilton Felder. Although his solo recording career had ended, Nolan continued working in LA nightclubs as a musician / comedian. He also performed in clubs across the States and in such overseas locations as Singapore, China, and Bali.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

It would be good to ask him about his work with Rick James, I'm sure funk & Motown fans would be interested in that aspect of his career.

ALSO, ask him who's idea it was that his 45's were released under so many different artist names .... seems a strange decision for a guy tryng to build a career to have people think his records were by 3/4 different people.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Here's the main part of a piece I wrote on Nolan some years back ......

..... perhaps the 'gaps' in the info here would be a good place to start when putting together questions to ask him .......

Nolan was born in 1949 in Los Angeles and his family soon realised he possessed real talent as a singer. He started to write songs when only 6 years old (his first successful composition being "I Like What You Give"). Initially, he developed his singing skills in church before developing them further in school. He quickly developed a strong love of all aspects / types of music, learning to play the viola and falling in love with the piano at the age of 12. At 15, he performed for the first time in a night club, this being at the Players Ring Theater in Westwood, California. He followed this was a performance at the Hullabaloo Club at the Aquarius Theater and then secured a gig at De Paul's Club in Hollywood whilst still only 17. After graduating from Los Angeles High School, Nolan attended Los Angeles City College where he started singing in a madrigal group together with Gabriel Mekler's sister.

Israeli born Gabriel Mekler was mainly working as a record producer for ABC-Dunhill at that time and was known for his work with the likes of 3 Dog Night, Janis Joplin and Steppenwolf. Via his sister, Nolan was introduced to Gabriel Mekler and an audition was arranged. At the time, Nolan was only singing classical music but he selected Donovan's hit song "Sunshine Superman" as his audition piece. Even though Nolan classes his performance as being lame, Gabriel heard a potential soul singer in him and insisted he start listening to recordings by the likes of Otis Redding and the Rolling Stones to become more familiar with the style of singing. Nolan followed his instructions for the next 2 years and by 1969, the pair were ready to start recording. Time was booked at Wally Heider's Studio in Hollywood and with the likes of Jimmy Carl Black, Roy Estrada and Lowell George (ex of the Mothers of Invention) handing the backing, at least 10 tracks were laid down. The majority of the songs cut were written by Nolan himself but a cover of a Stax number ("Iron Out The Rough Spots"; written by Booker T Jones / Steve Cropper / David Porter) was included to give the proposed album stronger R&B credentials. One of the songs, his "What Would You Do If I Did That To You" would later enjoy much success when covered by Steppenwolf. Another artist who linked up with Mekler at that time (1970) was Rick James. Due of this connection, Nolan & Rick ended up undertaking some performances together. These shows taking place at the Troubadour in LA and at the Corral nightclub in the Los Angeles hills.

Gabriel Mekler decided to start his own record labels and place Nolan's material on these. Thus in 1971 he opened Vulture & Lizard Records, based on Sunset Boulevard in LA. Other artists he signed to the label and wrote for / produced included the likes of Clydie King and Paul Humphrey & the Cool Aid Chemists. Paul Humprey's 1st single on Lizard climbed straight up the charts and so Nolan was recruited to work with his outfit. Nolan wrote the song "Funky LA" which Paul and his group cut. When this was released as the A side of his follow-up 45, it also made it into the top 50 of the national soul charts in August 71. By that time Nolan's own 'No Apologies' album had been released (Lizard # 20102) and this created enough interest for additional tracks to be cut for proposed single release. Thus, his first 45, "I Like What You Give" (Lizard # 1008), was released early in summer 1971. This quickly started to garner radio plays and soon broke out across the USA, making its entry on the national soul chart in July. The cut would remain on the national chart for 8 weeks, climbing to reach No. 40. Nolan had also cut a reggae style track and it was decided this had chart potential. "Groovin Out On Life" when released on the Vulture label (# 5002) under the name Frederick II, shot straight onto the charts in Nov 71(peaking at # 25 & spending 10 weeks in all on the national chart). Within days of "Groovin Out On Life" entering the charts, "Keep On Keepin On" (written by Nolan and Richard Flowers) was released as a single on Lizard (# 1010). Under the name N. F. Porter, this also became an instant national soul hit in December, making the top 40 and spending 7 weeks on chart.

Lizard / Vulture Records releases enjoyed a lot of commercial success, but the company was having to grow too fast and the people running it didn't have the same goals. The problems it faced became too great and the labels were closed down. Before the company folded, Nolan went into the Sound Factory studio and cut some new tracks, one of these being a song titled "If I Could Only Be Sure", on which Johnny Guitar Watson played. With Mekler's help, Nolan was signed to a deal with ABC Records and the tracks to fill a 2nd album were assembled (some of his earlier 45 & LP cuts being re-used). "If I Could Only Be Sure" was released on a single (ABC # 11343) and this entered the charts in February 73 where it stayed for 8 weeks reaching # 29. The success of this single and his ABC album resulted in both being released in the UK (the single forming Probe # 580). In the US, ABC lifted "Ooh Baby" off the album to form a follow up single but this failed to chart. Nolan wasn't to cut any more tracks for ABC. He did however, in conjunction with Gabriel Mekler, work on tracks for Billy Preston and Wilton Felder. Although his solo recording career had ended, Nolan continued working in LA nightclubs as a musician / comedian. He also performed in clubs across the States and in such overseas locations as Singapore, China, and Bali.

Lowell George of Little Feat plays guitar on 'If I Could Only Be Sure', not Johnny Guitar Watson.

Also, ABC didn't pull 'Oh Baby' as a follow-up to IICOBS. It was merely the B side of the actual follow-up - a version of reggae group the Kingstonians' 'Singer Man'.

I'm hoping that he does both sides of that 45 at the 100 Club tonight, but I somehow suspect he won't...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Are you going along to the 100 Cub tonight Tony ?

Yes, I'm definitely going. Won't be there much before showtime, but I'll definitely be there...

Social source share

Went to see Nolan & Stone Foundation at the 100 Club last night & they put on a really good show (2 from Stone Foundation, then 9&1/2 with Nolan up front & the group backing him up).

A couple of good 'cover song' choices included in the set ("Somebody, Somewhere" & "Gimme Little Sign" wiich were both well received). It was "Keep On ..." & "If I Could Only Be Sure" that set the crowd alight though. Seemed to be a decent turn out for them but I had to dash off as they finished to get public transport home, so no idea what things were like after the live show finished.

Chatted with Nolan (& Neil from Stone Foundation). Nolan is definitely enjoying himself on this visit, cutting a track with the Stone Foundation guys seemed to give him a buzz (& its already out on a 45).

In my chat with Nolan, he definitely recalls Johhny G Watson playing on one of his sessions and thinks himself that it was "If I Could Only Be Sure" ... could have been another session though .... as he said himself, its a lot of years ago & the memory is fading.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Went to see Nolan & Stone Foundation at the 100 Club last night & they put on a really good show (2 from Stone Foundation, then 9&1/2 with Nolan up front & the group backing him up).

A couple of good 'cover song' choices included in the set ("Somebody, Somewhere" & "Gimme Little Sign" wiich were both well received). It was "Keep On ..." & "If I Could Only Be Sure" that set the crowd alight though. Seemed to be a decent turn out for them but I had to dash off as they finished to get public transport home, so no idea what things were like after the live show finished.

Chatted with Nolan (& Neil from Stone Foundation). Nolan is definitely enjoying himself on this visit, cutting a track with the Stone Foundation guys seemed to give him a buzz (& its already out on a 45).

In my chat with Nolan, he definitely recalls Johhny G Watson playing on one of his sessions and thinks himself that it was "If I Could Only Be Sure" ... could have been another session though .... as he said himself, its a lot of years ago & the memory is fading.

JGW definitely does play in the Lizard/Probe album sessions. Just not on IOICBS. Lowell George's participation in that session is well-documented. I'm sure that Nolan would rather remember Johnny being on the record than Lowell, but the union sheets for the session prove otherwise.

As you say, a great show last night, and a reasonable turn out despite the wretched weather. His voice doesn't sound much different to how it does on the records and Stone Foundation is a decent lead singer away from being a fantastic band (and they're pretty great already). Well done to everyone who made the effort to go, and hats off to Nolan for still having it!

Social source share

always thought that nolan was one of the best live acts ive seen over the years, still sounding fantastic

remember listening to him rehearsing at prestatyn and then having a chat with him, showing him my

copies of his records whch he gladly signed for me.

russ

Social source share

Guest Soul Glo

Glad I got to see him at the 100 Club last night, what a performer!! Very humble and gracious and can still belt them out.

Social source share

was a great gig as said he's still got a good voice did empty out as a lot went after he was on but would go to see him if you in leicester tonight or at the vintage festival
Social source share

Guest Paul

Hello,

There isn't much I can add but here are a few points...

Nolan's lovely wife Patrice is better known around the world as Patrice 'Candy' Zappa, sister of the late Frank Zappa. They've been friends since the days when Nolan worked with Frank's Mothers Of Invention and Little Feat.

Nolan had quite a unique achievement in 1971 when he had three singles listed on the US R&B charts at the same time, but using three different artist names: 'I Like What You Give' by Nolan, 'Groovin' Out On Life' by Frederick II and 'Keep On Keeping On' by NF Porter.

The different names were all variations of his full name which is Nolan Frederick Porter II. On other 45s he was credited as Nolan Porter which was a fourth variation.

Richard Flowers got sole writer credit for 'Keep On Keeping On' for many years but Nolan co-wrote the song with him and he now (at last) receives credit for that. The 'Keep On Keeping On' riff was copied (without credit) by Joy Division for 'Interzone' in 1978.

Nolan and Gabriel's song 'If I Could Only Be Sure' has been recorded by Steppenwolf (1969), Nolan Porter (1972), The Steve Ellis Love Affair (2003) and Paul Weller (2004). Johnny 'Guitar' Watson played the infectious guitar line on Nolan's version which still gets quite a lot of radio play in the UK and has also been featured on the Eastenders TV show.

Nolan's producer Gabriel Mekler named Lizard Records after his cat but don't ask me if he also named the subsidiary label Vulture after one of his pets. I wouldn't think a vulture and a cat would get along very well.

Sadly, Gabriel was killed in an accident at the age of 35.

I've represented Nolan as a music publisher and licensing agent via Millbrand for the past seven years or so and I'm very proud to be associated with him and Patrice. I'm looking forward to spending some time with Nolan and Hitsville Chalky in a week or so ...and I hope they're both looking forward to the tropical weather we always get up here in the North East!

:ohmy:

Paul

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hello,

There isn't much I can add but here are a few points...

Nolan's lovely wife Patrice is better known around the world as Patrice 'Candy' Zappa, sister of the late Frank Zappa. They've been friends since the days when Nolan worked with Frank's Mothers Of Invention and Little Feat.

Nolan had quite a unique achievement in 1971 when he had three singles listed on the US R&B charts at the same time, but using three different artist names: 'I Like What You Give' by Nolan, 'Groovin' Out On Life' by Frederick II and 'Keep On Keeping On' by NF Porter.

The different names were all variations of his full name which is Nolan Frederick Porter II. On other 45s he was credited as Nolan Porter which was a fourth variation.

Richard Flowers got sole writer credit for 'Keep On Keeping On' for many years but Nolan co-wrote the song with him and he now (at last) receives credit for that. The 'Keep On Keeping On' riff was copied (without credit) by Joy Division for 'Interzone' in 1978.

Nolan and Gabriel's song 'If I Could Only Be Sure' has been recorded by Steppenwolf (1969), Nolan Porter (1972), The Steve Ellis Love Affair (2003) and Paul Weller (2004). Johnny 'Guitar' Watson played the infectious guitar line on Nolan's version which still gets quite a lot of radio play in the UK and has also been featured on the Eastenders TV show.

Nolan's producer Gabriel Mekler named Lizard Records after his cat but don't ask me if he also named the subsidiary label Vulture after one of his pets. I wouldn't think a vulture and a cat would get along very well.

Sadly, Gabriel was killed in an accident at the age of 35.

I've represented Nolan as a music publisher and licensing agent via Millbrand for the past seven years or so and I'm very proud to be associated with him and Patrice. I'm looking forward to spending some time with Nolan and Hitsville Chalky in a week or so ...and I hope they're both looking forward to the tropical weather we always get up here in the North East!

:ohmy:

Paul

Paul -

I'm sorry to contradict you as well but - at risk of repeating myself for a third time - JGW does NOT play lead guitar on 'If Only I Could Be Sure' (see previous posts...).

He does play on other sessions from the album....

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Patrice isn't with Nolan this visit (I met her at Prestatyn & she has some fascinating tales to tell).

I got the impression from Nolan that he would be travelling up to the UK nether regions (anywhere north of Yorkshire) on his own.

Paul, I advised him when coming to meet you to travel by CrossCountry trains from Brum New St to Durham (is that your local main stn ?).

He was going to ring you to sort out the details.

Which was the Madchester group that cut an awful version of "Keep On Keepin On" for John Anderson & Richard Searling?

... & was that cut actually released after they started having pop hits ?

Social source share

Patrice isn't with Nolan this visit (I met her at Prestatyn & she has some fascinating tales to tell).

I got the impression from Nolan that he would be travelling up to the UK nether regions (anywhere north of Yorkshire) on his own.

Paul, I advised him when coming to meet you to travel by CrossCountry trains from Brum New St to Durham (is that your local main stn ?).

Which was the Madchester group that cut an awful version of "Keep On Keepin On" for John Anderson & Richard Searling?

Joy Division - the 'cover' evolved into 'Interzone' on their 'Unknown Pleasures' album.

Social source share

Guest Paul

Paul -

I'm sorry to contradict you as well but - at risk of repeating myself for a third time - JGW does NOT play lead guitar on 'If Only I Could Be Sure' (see previous posts...).

Hello Tony,

It was just a test to see if you were paying attention.

:wink:

Seriously, I said the same thing on here in 2006 because Nolan had given me that info. Either he remembered it wrong at the time or I got it wrong - and people then copied the error as they do.

Paul

Social source share

Guest Paul

Hello Robert,

Patrice is busy at home marketing her reprinted book which obviously appeals to Frank Zappa fans worldwide. If anyone wants a copy I'll be happy to put them in touch to buy a signed copy.

As Mike and I have mentioned, Joy Division ended up using the main riff on 'Interzone' rather than covering 'Keep On Keeping On' which had been the original intention. In fact they may have covered the song in a demo session but it wasn't issued (unless there's a bootleg album out there somewhere).

It seems they didn't get along with John and / or Richard on that session, I read something about it in a book. I'll ask John or Richard about it one day.

Best wishes,

Paul

Social source share

Guest Soulshake

Nolan Porter and Stone Foundation at the 100 Club, what a fantastic night, heard there's gonna be some video's on the way soon :)

Social source share

Guest Soulshake

Here's a video i've found on youtube from the night, plus footage from another gig, what a fantastic performance from Nolan Porter and Stone Foundation, great set from SF just before Nolan at the 100 club too even though it was only 2 songs and Mr Porter's voice is sounding fantastic. Fe Fi Fo Fum!!

Social source share

Guest RowedOut

It would be good to ask him about his work with Rick James, I'm sure funk & Motown fans would be interested in that aspect of his career.

ALSO, ask him who's idea it was that his 45's were released under so many different artist names .... seems a strange decision for a guy tryng to build a career to have people think his records were by 3/4 different people.

Mission accomplished! - he wasn't aware that people knew about the association!
Social source share

Guest RowedOut

Many thanks everyone for the help - interviewed Nolan and a more generous, humble man with a genuine love for the people who brought him over and came to see him live you could not meet... genuine pleasure to meet him.

The interview is all typed up and will run over two issue of HEAVY SOUL - the first one out now:

Social source share

Nolan will be live on bridge radio northern soul show on 22nd July at 7pm ... if anyone intrested .. maybe phone up with any questions i will post link up nearer the time .. Nolan will be still in the country after his work with stone foundation and will be doing selected northern soul venues see events for details . ... anyone in the west midlands you can have a pint or two of the Ruby mild at the becon hotel in sedgley with him ...please pm for details .

Social source share

Paul -

Tony picked Nolan tonight as he is now staying with myself on way back Nolan tells me JGW plays on " If only I could Be sure" .... only pointing out what Nolan says .

Edited by Hitsville Chalky
Social source share

Nolan Porter with Mike Lofthouse in Middlesbrough on Wednesday night:

post-3850-0-67485600-1342793513_thumb.jp

The Queen was also here in Middlesbrough on Thursday but Nolan was the biggest star in town.

Thanks to my good friends Tony, Mikki, Siobhan and Alan (Tomo) who helped to make it such a wonderful visit.

And thanks of course to Hitsville Chalky.

Paul

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!