Funky Soul

I'm 33 and have a big collection and in general have not been part of or influenced by any scene (and if I was, definitely not by the northern scene). I just buy what sounds good. I can also DJ a good dance set if I want. I will say that my tastes broadened over time after collecting and DJing though. When I started I thought all northern soul was garbage, now I think just most of it is :). (if you're about to make a long angry post about my last statement, first try to have a sense of humor...)

I can't believe I have 25 posts or whatever in this thread, and I have no opinion about what should be played in the northern soul scene. I need to log off.

Social source share

let me fix this bit for you... :D

I actually pulled out some garbage pop record yesterday (leslie jon) when i was going through some stuff and thought that there was no way you had it listed. I was about to email you but it was on your site.

Social source share

I actually pulled out some garbage pop record yesterday (leslie jon) when i was going through some stuff and thought that there was no way you had it listed. I was about to email you but it was on your site.

oh yeah, that record sucks dude, but in fairness i do think you are the one who initially alerted me to it.

Social source share

Leslie Jon on Pelegrin Sands?

We changed the name of the "George Jackson" club night in London for a Christmas special to "Leslie Jon!" and instead of the normal diet of soul ballads played a night of all the crappy soft rock records we had mistakenly bought blind over the years in the hope they they would turn out to be 'Northern Soul'.

Social source share

Leslie Jon on Pelegrin Sands?

We changed the name of the "George Jackson" club night in London for a Christmas special to "Leslie Jon!" and instead of the normal diet of soul ballads played a night of all the crappy soft rock records we had mistakenly bought blind over the years in the hope they they would turn out to be 'Northern Soul'.

one & the same :D

Social source share

I'm 33 and have a big collection and in general have not been part of or influenced by any scene (and if I was, definitely not by the northern scene). I just buy what sounds good. I can also DJ a good dance set if I want. I will say that my tastes broadened over time after collecting and DJing though. When I started I thought all northern soul was garbage, now I think just most of it is :). (if you're about to make a long angry post about my last statement, first try to have a sense of humor...)

I can't believe I have 25 posts or whatever in this thread, and I have no opinion about what should be played in the northern soul scene. I need to log off.

Good post Bob but I think there are a fair few here on the Soul scene who also just buy "what sounds good" . And there are some of us who have grown up with the "Northern " Soul scene but who have also listened too and bought deep, sweet , funk or whatever we think is a good tune throughout. I remember getting together at friends houses for record sessions in the early /mid 70s and a good 50% of the records we would listen to would be ballads yet these were people who also went to allnighters.

That makes 9 posts for me on this thread - which is unusual - but it's been a good thread.

Cheers

Manus

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I can't believe Bobas only 33 ?

Strange how we perceive things based on what we see/hear

..listening in on the sitting in the parks show ,to the knowledge he shares in such detail ,all the artists he's tracked down and interviewed ,gave me the impression that he was a lot older ?

Sorry Bob ,I mean Young man :)

P.s

Keep up the good work !

Social source share

Good post Bob but I think there are a fair few here on the Soul scene who also just buy "what sounds good" . And there are some of us who have grown up with the "Northern " Soul scene but who have also listened too and bought deep, sweet , funk or whatever we think is a good tune throughout. I remember getting together at friends houses for record sessions in the early /mid 70s and a good 50% of the records we would listen to would be ballads yet these were people who also went to allnighters.

That makes 9 posts for me on this thread - which is unusual - but it's been a good thread.

Cheers

Manus

I wasn't trying to imply that other people weren't, I was just responding to the original query about how young people find stuff. I have total respect for everyone out there aggressively listening to as much music as they can and digging in real life or the internet or wherever just to hear things that they don't know.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I can't believe Bobas only 33 ?

Strange how we perceive things based on what we see/hear

..listening in on the sitting in the parks show ,to the knowledge he shares in such detail ,all the artists he's tracked down and interviewed ,gave me the impression that he was a lot older ?

Sorry Bob ,I mean Young man :)

P.s

Keep up the good work !

I think I said my age in the first interview I did... Anyways, the internet is funny. If you go to record shows in the US there are all these crusty old dealers that are total jerks or just weird. The anonyminity of ebay hides all that. It's surprising the times where I get a taste of reality. Like I called a dealer to hear something, and he had a southern drawl, clearly didn't know or care about soul, etc.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

[media=]

found this via you tube a few months back...played it at go go children back in may...not sure if its been on the scene before...then des played it at soul in the south...surely this cant be too funky?

These records are so poor it's unbelievable.

The reason so many people got into Northern Soul was because it was salvation from the mainstream music of the time, that includes some soul music, and the records were thrilling, individual, they had that certain something that made them so special and unforgettable - and then you compare it with something like this Eddie Floyd tune and is it any wonder why I despair.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

[media=]

found this via you tube a few months back...played it at go go children back in may...not sure if its been on the scene before...then des played it at soul in the south...surely this cant be too funky?

:wicked:

edit done... I am out of this debate...

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

Surely it's about what's right for some clubs now, at one time Muriel Day, the Ventures, Brian Hyland etc all fitted the template and for me, this is better than all of those.

See post again, I added a bit. trying to explain.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

See post again, I added a bit. trying to explain.

I've just read it but would say, not all the records were memorable, which is the same for any genre and any time period within soul music and the soul scene, so whilst the Eddie Floyd record might not be stunning, it still measures up to and goes beyond the poorer records played early doors. If you're saying the funky edged northern isn't producing a 'ton of dynamite' or an 'it's all over me' or even a 'so is the sun' then I'd probably agree with you, but that would almost certainly be down to my distinct lack of knowledge in the area. What I do know is, that I've been sent the odd CD from someone playing that kind of music out, and I've really liked them, and thought they've fitted a northern criteria.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Ok, not too up on what funk edged stuff is played nowadays but there has always been an element of it as long as the scene has been going.

Regular Torch plays I believe and to this day never of tire of them ..

[media=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2fmQLmtmeQ

https://boffyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/northern-soul-classics-hey-america.html

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

i will give one example and i mean one only but i think this if funky soul or whatever anyone wants to label it and i know and have a good few more i feel fits this catergory, and i think its awsome and defo suitable for todays scene and danceable to but then thats just me :hatsoff2:

https://youtu.be/5eKyC8k3W_E

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

[media=]

been played for a few years now i believe and well out of my price range!...will always remember hearing it for the first time at lifeline being played bysoul sam

i got this and would not have any second thoughts about plaaying it out none what so ever cos this is Dance Music and soulful etc etc etc

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

this is defo funky soul cos he says it near the end of the tune, this was a big cover up for Karl Heard and ive been playing it for about 2/3 years now and has become a very indeamnd tune and thats because it packs the dance floors everywhere, someone tell me this is not good enough for the northern soul scene i dare you :wicked::lol:

https://youtu.be/stm6SPA8x0w

Social source share

at work so cant hear them ...will do when i get home

At work so I can't even tell what they are (because no one puts details of title artist etc in their post) let alone hear them, so can't comment at all!

Social source share

another one in my box i play...WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT!

I love all these blue squares with 'content blocked by your organization' on, but why are you all posting the same thing?

:wicked:

Social source share

AND...... my tuppenceworth is..... why isn't "Broadway Sissy" getting played out more at these events? Never overplayed in the 1st place and not a top 500 tune either! Would it, in fact, be classed as 'funky soul'?

Social source share

this is defo funky soul cos he says it near the end of the tune, this was a big cover up for Karl Heard and ive been playing it for about 2/3 years now and has become a very indeamnd tune and thats because it packs the dance floors everywhere, someone tell me this is not good enough for the northern soul scene i dare you :wicked::lol:

[media=]

Wow a 7.5 m tape measure, havent seen one of those for awhile , i have to stick with my 5m one for the time being :)

Social source share

AND...... my tuppenceworth is..... why isn't "Broadway Sissy" getting played out more at these events? Never overplayed in the 1st place and not a top 500 tune either! Would it, in fact, be classed as 'funky soul'?

Not played BS for a while,but isnt it quite repetitive.? Had its plays bitd,not sure funky though.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

[media=]

this is exactly what funky soul is about imho, awesome and plenty of room to be played

didnt know you had your own youtube channel mate, i'm off to see what else you got on there

Social source share

Cheers

Manus

Bang on Manus, I posted earlier that with words to effect, theres a better scene within the confines of your own home, conversing with like minded soul fans who buy what they like which as you state can cover most soulful genres, example being my good man Tomo from Boro who has ticked the "like" box on your post has just sent me a Johnnie Taylor CD which he has compiled himself, theres only 4 out of 21 tracks I know, they are of all tempo,s and different production but they are all beauties which will prompt me to look for and purchase what I can, eleviates the political and egotistical bollocks, nothing to live up to, just enjoying and attaining bloody good soul records. Think also the guys who indulge in the sessions you mention around the doors and still go to venues feel they don,t have to fit in to or go along with whatevers meant to be hip, they just want to hear soul, whatever the genre

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

this is exactly what funky soul is about imho, awesome and plenty of room to be played

didnt know you had your own youtube channel mate, i'm off to see what else you got on there

not a lot on there as more a work in progress really Andy but will over next few months hopefully post a lot more more up as im a bit techno crap but now i got an ipad all systems go really :thumbsup:

Social source share

Bang on Manus, I posted earlier that with words to effect, theres a better scene within the confines of your own home, conversing with like minded soul fans who buy what they like which as you state can cover most soulful genres, example being my good man Tomo from Boro who has ticked the "like" box on your post has just sent me a Johnnie Taylor CD which he has compiled himself, theres only 4 out of 21 tracks I know, they are of all tempo,s and different production but they are all beauties which will prompt me to look for and purchase what I can, eleviates the political and egotistical bollocks, nothing to live up to, just enjoying and attaining bloody good soul records. Think also the guys who indulge in the sessions you mention around the doors and still go to venues feel they don,t have to fit in to or go along with whatevers meant to be hip, they just want to hear soul, whatever the genre

Kev

Hello again Kev :wave:

As you know ,this thread has been the biggest talkin point so far this week ( maybe month /yr ) so obviously it is fueled by passion for the music ...which has to be a good thing ?

I can totally relate and agree with everything you ,Manus and a few others have expressed here ,but if you go back thru 12 pages mate ,this is what this topic is debating ..

FUNKY SOUL /SOULFUL FUNK

Does it have a place at venues :g:

Here's a record that i consider to be a record that fits the soul scene but is most definitely a funk tinged record and one i would not hesitate to play at any across the board event

https://youtu.be/YAgSfbfqEOc

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So if they're so great with their own brilliant scene, why are they still hanging onto the Northern scene then? That's what Toad was saying.

It's a laugh Nev, I don't mean that nastily, but you and Russ going on as if there's hundreds of venues playing this funky stuff, out of a thousand venues probably only 20 are playing it, the other 980 aren't interested in the slightest - yet it's THEM who are in the wrong...

It's the same with the small minority of OVO brigade who very voicelessly try to shout everyone else down who doesn't agree with them in 2012.

Btw, I like quite a lot of tunes in this thread and personally think it's a good step forward.

Edited by daved
Social source share

Think also the guys who indulge in the sessions you mention around the doors and still go to venues feel they don,t have to fit in to or go along with whatevers meant to be hip, they just want to hear soul, whatever the genre

Kev

Amen to that Kev

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Yep, same here. Come on guys, list the artists and titles so us skivers can join in :lol:

No point Joan you wont like them and no need to put you off your work :lol: hope your well and working hard Joan :hatsoff2:

Social source share

This one is for Joan its simply "Soul" or is it funky soul :g:

It's "content blocked" by the Organization - a rock record if ever I heard one :lol:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Wow a 7.5 m tape measure, havent seen one of those for awhile , i have to stick with my 5m one for the time being :)

Tim come on its your chance here so post some tunes that you think are suitable for the scene, give it to em matey :thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!