Talking About Jackie Edwards 45's

I do not think I have one at the moment but I am pretty sure I have had Tell me What Its All About on Canadian Stone? I will check again tonight. Or are you talking UK issue?

I think it did come out on Stone but we were on about UK red and white island, well I was anyway

Social source share

"I don't know" is probably my favourite of his, funnily enough I posted this to the BBH group earlier tonight.

Down the years I've played this in venues and it's always drawn interest, and like others have said, I was surprised folk didn't know it. I've kept both the WIRL and the Alladin because the WIRL looks nicer ( like an american 45) but the Alladin plays better

perhaps it's a Wolves t'ing ??? (D the D, Pete S, Me )

btw not to be confused with his " I Don't Know But Why" track - does anyone know of a vinyl 45 release (7 or 12) of this, I only know it from cd album? ( but think it's lovely in a gentle swayer stylee)

Social source share

:shhh: HI ALL After spending 30 minutes writeing about 4 of jackies early records and some history, the most thing I hate on a PC had to happen? jost as I was going to po..........................................

st it vanishes? never to be found? :ohmy: DAVE

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Just going back to Jackie Edwards yet again, does anyone know "If This Is Heaven"? B side to the schmaltzy "Julie On My Mind" (which Prince Buster covered). Really good dancer with verses that sound the Left Banke but a big brassy chorus.

Sorry I can't find a clip of it anywhere but it's well worth checking out.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:shhh: HI ALL After spending 30 minutes writeing about 4 of jackies early records and some history, the most thing I hate on a PC had to happen? jost as I was going to po..........................................

st it vanishes? never to be found? :ohmy: DAVE

Dave the lesson is, every 5 minutes just click control & s, and it'll save it

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HEY U2 2Y's 4ME?

:g: MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm! I hope your not taking the p*** in public at my IT; :ohmy:NEVER TO BORSTAL BOY'S :wicked: DAVE

:lol: EVER......................???

Anyway - Dave - when you are half way through typing, press CTRL and S, you will never lose your typing again. Actually you could probably get it to auto-save for you every ten minutes. Seriously.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL,,,,,,I am suprised that this classic 2 sider has not gone realy big, and if I am right about rare records! this should be massive with those of you are new to the Reggae scene, this record on BREAD RECORDS is far removed from the "johnny you'r a gun man" reggae,

It's a BILLY STEWART SONG, but only our man Jackie can cover the FATMANS tunes like this, both sides are excellantm and I would like to have feedback on it? It :g:post-13241-0-79036700-1343331279_thumb.jpost-13241-0-33301900-1343331207_thumb.j

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

Just going back to Jackie Edwards yet again, does anyone know "If This Is Heaven"? B side to the schmaltzy "Julie On My Mind" (which Prince Buster covered). Really good dancer with verses that sound the Left Banke but a big brassy chorus.

Sorry I can't find a clip of it anywhere but it's well worth checking out.

Oh Yes Pete! It's in my collection, pink Island WI 6026. Great tune.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

While we're on the topic of Jackie Edwards can anyone clear up weather or not Tell Me What It's All About got a 7" release or not?
Play it off the Put Your Tears Away album on Island & Veep but never seen the supposed United Artists 7" copy.

I don't know if this ever got answered or cleared up?but I have just bought this very cheap in M- condition from the states. Not sure if it came out in the UK on 'UA' or not though. Just thought this might help.
  Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL...Just a thought, when PETE SMITH, started this thread, did anyone on SOULSOURCE realise that JACKIES "PUT YOUR TEARS AWAY" was such a popular LP among rare soul collectors, as it is a well known fact that most collectors of soul prefer to own 45's,

So does this thread make JACKIES LP, The #1 LP to own if there was a top 20 of must own LP's :g: DAVE

Social source share

RE: So does this thread make JACKIES LP, The #1 LP to own if there was a top 20 of must own LP's

........ wouldn't have thought so ..... many more in demand LP's instantly spring to mind .

I would certainly place Sam Dees Atlantic LP, Mancha + Barnes 'Rare Stamps', Impression 'Big 16' Vols1 & 2, Bell Cellar of Soul Vols 1,2 & 3, Billy Stewarts 'Teaches Old Standards New Tricks', some early Kent LPs & many more above Jackie's LP .... and I like most of Jackie's soul sides.

Social source share

RE: So does this thread make JACKIES LP, The #1 LP to own if there was a top 20 of must own LPs

........ wouldn't have thought so ..... many more in demand LP's instantly spring to mind .

I would certainly place Sam Dees Atlantic LP, Mancha + Barnes 'Rare Stamps', Impression 'Big 16' Vols1 & 2, Bell Cellar of Soul Vols 1,2 & 3, Billy Stewart 'Teaches Old Standards New Tricks', some early Kent LPs & many more above Jackie's LP .... and I like most of Jackie's soul sides.

:hatsoff2: HI Thanks for the reply. the RARE STAMPS would be in there as would Jackie Lees "the DUCK" LP LONDON.

HOWEVER a chart featuring hand picked records by well known RARE SOUL Collectors does not count in my book, I think that would be a separate chart and an almost impossible task, as hundreds of rare records have been made available since 1982, maybe the RCA "JUMPING AT THE GO GO" & the 3 GRAPVINE LP's may have a justified reason? but any thing that come out on CD does not count in what I had In mind? let's see as I will start a thread on the top 20 LP's :thumbsup: DAVE

Social source share

RE: Impressions 'Big 16' Vols1 & 2, Bell Cellar of Soul Vols 1,2 & 3, Billy Stewarts 'Teaches Old Standards New Tricks' ......

........ HOWEVER a chart featuring hand picked records by well known RARE SOUL Collectors does not count in my book, I think that would be a separate chart and an almost impossible task, as hundreds of rare records have been made available since 1982

All the LP's I listed above date from the mid to late 60's, so don't fall within your definition .. they were some of the early albums I bought and shaped my taste in soul music. They were very influential releases (at least in m opinion).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't know if this ever got answered or cleared up?but I have just bought this very cheap in M- condition from the states. Not sure if it came out in the UK on 'UA' or not though. Just thought this might help.

Can anyone tell me if this is rare or hard to find please? as someone mentioned earlier in the thread that it didn't get released on a 'UA' 45?
Thank you
Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

Steve, I stand to be corrected, but I'm sure "Tell Me What It's All About" was only available in the UK as an LP track. A great track, and the US 45 on UA looks awesome! Popsike shows that a demo went for $50 two years ago.

I've had a copy of "Keep On Running" by Jackie Edwards on New Zealand Philips, which I found out there whilst on honeymoon - sold it to a mate about 10 years ago. Wonder if his version of "Somebody Help Me" (covered by Spencer Davis) was released on 45, and in which countries?

As a personal fave of mine, there is something about "Tell Me Darling" which really grips me (released on UK Starlite in 1960). Not soul, but just a lovely-sounding ballad.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Steve, I stand to be corrected, but I'm sure "Tell Me What It's All About" was only available in the UK as an LP track. A great track, and the US 45 on UA looks awesome! Popsike shows that a demo went for $50 two years ago.

I've had a copy of "Keep On Running" by Jackie Edwards on New Zealand Philips, which I found out there whilst on honeymoon - sold it to a mate about 10 years ago. Wonder if his version of "Somebody Help Me" (covered by Spencer Davis) was released on 45, and in which countries?

As a personal fave of mine, there is something about "Tell Me Darling" which really grips me (released on UK Starlite in 1960). Not soul, but just a lovely-sounding ballad.

Thank you Gene, I wasn't sure when you said that it hadn't been released on 45, that you were meaning just in the UK? which is why I put this up. What a brilliant track, and there is only one soundbyte of it anywhere that I can see and that is the one above. When I get mine from the states I will record it and put a decent quality recording up for all to hear.

Yes it does look lovely on the US UA label, same label as I remember 'Keem o sabe' by 'Electric indian coming out on, and same colours too. Not a great tune that, but just sparked the memory of it off when I saw the label.

Thank you Gene, would still like to know what the Jackie Edwards one is worth these days, 2 years is a long time in NS terms :-)

Edited by Steve Luigi
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Can anyone tell me if this is rare or hard to find please? as someone mentioned earlier in the thread that it didn't get released on a 'UA' 45?

Thank you

Not especially.

It also came out on a 7" in Canada on Stone Records...that looks pretty cool and is a tad rarer, but a little scratching around would pop one up I'm sure.

:hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's the same song, but it's nowhere near as good as Jackie Edwards - not often you see mint Islands nowadays though

post-1893-0-21844300-1345736217_thumb.jp

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but would the Carl Palmer who produced this be the same man from Emerson, Lake and Palmer?

Social source share

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but would the Carl Palmer who produced this be the same man from Emerson, Lake and Palmer?

HI Pete is dead right, but I had a laugh at this comment? as the PALMER BROS, were the opposite to CARL PALMER as HIPPIES are to SKINHEADS? Your question hands so much innocence to it, you were not to know!

DAVE

Social source share

HI Pete is dead right, but I had a laugh at this comment? as the PALMER BROS, were the opposite to CARL PALMER as HIPPIES are to SKINHEADS? Your question hands so much innocence to it, you were not to know!

DAVE

Absolutely hysterical with laughter that you find it funny. We're not all know-alls of the world or privileged members of the soul / reggae MENSA, you know - just as well, otherwise I'd probably be in fear of being a patronising little shite like yourself who looks down their nose at everyone, thinking he's so better then everyone else. Still, at least I have a more coherent grasp of the English language without the gratuitous use of capitals or icons when making my point.

My thanks to Pete for putting me right on that, by the way.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

• 6 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!