Talking About Jackie Edwards 45's

A few people know this one but it remains very obscure, it's ten times rarer than "Come On Home" and I'd actually rate it as harder to find than "I Feel So Bad" (though nowhere near as good), will this be the next big Jackie Edwards record? I remember Anglo had one for £200 at least 5/6 years ago, did it ever sell I wonder?

post-1893-0-26639100-1341477890_thumb.jp

Social source share

Talking about Jackie Edwards 45's, do you still have one for sale?, if you put it on ebay, let me know.

come on home...

Social source share

Guest john s

A few people know this one but it remains very obscure, it's ten times rarer than "Come On Home" and I'd actually rate it as harder to find than "I Feel So Bad" (though nowhere near as good), will this be the next big Jackie Edwards record? I remember Anglo had one for £200 at least 5/6 years ago, did it ever sell I wonder?

I really like that one - very early but lovely record. I had a spare, sold it for £20-ish...

which I think is fair!

Social source share

Talking about Jackie Edwards 45's, do you still have one for sale?, if you put it on ebay, let me know.

come on home...

OK Paul I believe in being upfront with people so I shall explain to you what is happening.

I sold several reggae and ska records to someone 18 months ago, he recently asked me if I wanted them back, so he sent them back along with the Jackie Edwards and a few more bits, because none of them are particular rare I have been pondering about how much trades I was going to give him, anyway I'd already made a list with JE on and also a pink Island Jackie & Millie, then yesterday the auction happened and because I hadn't actually said how much I was giving in trade, he said best not sell it after all, this is when I was in mid conversation with you and posting up that scan last night - so I've had to withdraw it, despite me saying that he would never get another offer as high as £100 for it. As we speak, Mick Smith is putting his copy on ebay buy it now at £500 and describing it as a "bargain" :lol:

If I'd done the deal you could have had it for a lot less than £100. Sorry.

Social source share

I really like that one - very early but lovely record. I had a spare, sold it for £20-ish...

which I think is fair!

Yeah I think more maybe £30 but not much more, remember one record fair in Wolvo where there was a reggae stall and me and Rob Pheasant found about 5 copies of it on Beverlys in one go.

Social source share

Interesting label Pete. I'm assuming it's a generic 'Black Swan' and the red text title and artist was added after the record was manufactured?

Cheers,

Dave

Social source share

I reckon proper price £300 for a minter ??? but the way things are going maybe a grand :lol:

I reckon that's £100 too much!

It's not and it's never been a rare record. Hard to find, but never rare. Last one I bought was £120. Sold that for £150 which I thought was fair.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL All of Jackie's records were played at either Jamaican or Win-dies CLUBS ON RELEASE, & as such most were played in London's MOD CLUBS and early all-nighter, as you will be aware, both "come on home" & "feel so bad" got played at the ALL-NIGHT clubs in the midlands & the north, with equal success, and as for rarity there is no difference between them 2, however from 72 onwards "feel so bad" has been the one that the northern soul crowd chose to be the #1 and that's why the price has gone through the roof, but many of Jackie's recordings are rarer, as I recall it was his recording of "keep on running! that was not released as a UK 45, got to be one of the first records to sell above shop prices, in fact at one time it was the biggest (why Chubby Checkers "at the Discotheque gets the attention? I Just Don't Know"

another record that is Rare, is his SUE WI-328 STAGGER LEE B/W PRETTY GIRL, it is the B side of this recording that makes this one of the must have SUE records, and even though it is more rarer than the ISLAND records, it suffered from the fact it was only played (not exclusively) at the Scene TILES Flamingo Club, Ram Jam club and not many other clubs that attracted the MOD scene,

While I am writing this, I feel I must remind some of the younger ones of you, when considering records the are Pre Northern Soul and have a Jamaican connection, you have to remember the price of records back then, the culture of the time, particular with Jamaican Music as for most records pre 68 they were not made for any white people it was music from there home, also the fact that most records become popular through sound systems, the high majority of the records were disposable (just like the Chicago scene, idance fact Jamaicans to this day love the Chicago sounds, this becomes evident in ROCK STEADY,)

And the complete opposite to the above, those people who did buy records back then, in the 6T's will and do covert every one, the fact that the kids used Daddy's records as frisbee, but my experience is they are extremely hard to deal with, you may find some rare records the good old white guy approach does not work at all?

The records on other labels are indeed much rarer, but that's not a recommendation from me, to get you all looking for them as I say the best are known and he also done some s**t that he liked as the rare stuff is on the B sides, also it is a matter of taste, my favorite record by Jackie is on ALADIN WI611 "I DON'T KNOW" because of it's rarity this obscure side was left in the hands of the in-crowd, in fact Ranking Johnny Manship lists his other Aladdin record as much rarer, however he is so wrong with this one? that is also the opinion of top UK collector ROY GELDER,.

most of his LPs are very rare and again with most JA records released in the UK the prices reflect that they are the rarest of all music that was released on a UK LP, so you can throw away that PINK FLYOD - ATOM HEART MOTHER LP.

As for the Black Swan label again all records are rare some are nice some are rarer than most, but in my opinion not as good as the SUE or the Aladdin WI-611, i COULD ADD MUCH MORE TO THIS THREAD ON WILFRED EDWARDS,

But see what direction it goes in,

As a reminder to all collectors mick Smith will be in Wolves this weekend at the VIP RECORD FAIR, and as usual throughout the day he will be joined by top collectors PETE SMITH, ROY GELDOR DAVE WELDING, and yours truly, so any thing that's worth knowing about the UK SOUL SCENE will be there, also for those who are getting to like JA music Pete smith and myself should be able to help you, however I don't give values, only how rare, :rofl:Below are a few scans however, I have incleded a rare island record as a bench mark, it is my opinion that this record is much rarer than any of Jackeis :thumbsup: DAVEpost-13241-0-29561700-1341540170_thumb.jpost-13241-0-75610500-1341540090_thumb.jpost-13241-0-49116400-1341540020_thumb.jpost-13241-0-20638200-1341539942_thumb.j

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest jerrio

i prefer his LOVE ...used to spin this at the Marrs Bar allniters

Thats a great tune,I sold a mint copy to a mate for a fiver in the late 80s and really regretted it lol, Some 18 years later I saw my mate djing at a local doo and when I asked if he still had it,He had and went on to play it for me.

Social source share

Guest john s

:hatsoff2: HI ALL DAVEpost-13241-0-29561700-1341540170_thumb.jpost-13241-0-75610500-1341540090_thumb.jpost-13241-0-49116400-1341540020_thumb.jpost-13241-0-20638200-1341539942_thumb.j

Your copy of WI 611 has a solid centre, interesting!

All great records, and the Philip James too - must dig out the Sue 45, I've always played 'Stagger Lee', don't remember the other side!

Social source share

Your copy of WI 611 has a solid centre, interesting!

All great records, and the Philip James too - must dig out the Sue 45, I've always played 'Stagger Lee', don't remember the other side!

John I've come to the conclusion that there are push out and solid centre versions of every Island and Island related 45. Yesterday when I sold Come On Home it was a push out, yet Mick's was a solid. I'm buying red and whites again and some are the opposite to what I had before.

That "Pretty Girl" is a nice track, similar to his other stuff. He had one on Fontana as well around the same time (Sea Cruise?)

Social source share

Guest john s

He had one on Fontana as well around the same time (Sea Cruise?)

Brilliant version of Sea Cruise, been playing that one for nearly 30 years.

It's odd about the push-out/solid Island thing, especially when it comes to things like Studio 1 45 - they're hard enough to get anyway!

Social source share

I have nearly every UK 45 that Jackie Edwards released, including 6 Island L.Ps. But I ain't got that Sue 45 Dave!!! I don't even know it, is it a dancer?

What, Pretty Girl? (Sorry Dave is unavailable)

Yeah it's a decent dancer same style as Do You Love Me Again, I'm amazed more people don't know it.

Social source share

I've had 'I Don't Know' since the mid 80s when I bought it as a 14 year old in Villiers street with most of the Brit & Alladin 45s. I've listened to it a few times down the years, but last year I put it on and it sounded amazing.

I played it around the Ace office to Ady and Tony who didn't know it. Interesting to know that Dave rates it as rare.

Social source share

I've had 'I Don't Know' since the mid 80s when I bought it as a 14 year old in Villiers street with most of the Brit & Alladin 45s. I've listened to it a few times down the years, but last year I put it on and it sounded amazing.

I played it around the Ace office to Ady and Tony who didn't know it. Interesting to know that Dave rates it as rare.

What, Tony Rounce didn't know it? I'm truly stunned.

Social source share

Ive played that Oh Mary out....ive also heard it played at Camber scooter rally a few years ago.Who did In A Dream first...Jackie and Millie or the Vips?

Both at the same time - or the VIP's by a couple of weeks (6005 - 6012)

Social source share

I've had 'I Don't Know' since the mid 80s when I bought it as a 14 year old in Villiers street with most of the Brit & Aladdin 45s. I've listened to it a few times down the years, but last year I put it on and it sounded amazing.

:hatsoff2: HI ALL A couple of things to say about Jackie's records the Aladdin 45s are all worth having as part of the ISLAND / SUE Records as I think they were all played on the original release dates in the SOHO SCENE, However the "i just don't know" was very hard for me to get, but if you do find a copy, unless it gets the attention from the rare soul scene, it should be cheap to buy? WI-601 I have left behind many times, in-fact I have a VG copy spare for £3.50, also I I should mention his "I must go back" on HORSE, This was a big play in 76 & still sounds good, :thumbsup:

my definition of rare is based on can a get a copy without buying it from a dealer and also have records that dealers don't no? :rofl: Dave

Social source share

While we're on the topic of Jackie Edwards can anyone clear up weather or not Tell Me What It's All About got a 7" release or not?

Play it off the Put Your Tears Away album on Island & Veep but never seen the supposed United Artists 7" copy.

Social source share

While we're on the topic of Jackie Edwards can anyone clear up weather or not Tell Me What It's All About got a 7" release or not?

Play it off the Put Your Tears Away album on Island & Veep but never seen the supposed United Artists 7" copy.

[media=]

No it didn't, but it did come out by Joyce Bond on Island using the same backing track (this is why I credited the French EP male/female duet vocal to Jackie & Joyce many years ago despite there being no proof - but it stuck)

Jeezus look at the warp on that LP :lol:

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

No it didn't, but it did come out by Joyce Bond on Island using the same backing track (this is why I credited the French EP male/female duet vocal to Jackie & Joyce many years ago despite there being no proof - but it stuck)

Thanks for the info Pete :thumbsup:

Come On Home is on the other side of the album but I bet it don't play on that wibbly wobbly copy :D

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

What, Tony Rounce didn't know it? I'm truly stunned.

...It be's that way sometimes, mate.

But not very often... :wicked:

Incidentally, much as I love the work of Mr. Wilfred Edwards, I have to say that I've never thought his version of 'Come On Home' was/is a patch on Wayne Fontana's... :shhh:

Social source share

:shhh: SSSSHHHHHH PEOPLE ARE SLEEPING, However DAVE the DRUG wants to add this one?

In 1970, when this 45 was released, FREDA PAYNE was hit ing the TOP with BAND OF GOLD, And I no what I was doing on the very day it was released???? I had 2 days & a breakfast to go, and freedom, from DC (They should bring it back, to-day kids realy could not hak DC or BORSTAL) :wicked: TRUE!

This Jackie Edwards is very typical of him, but is so 69 and TWEEE, but there is something special to it, thats why I can recomend, uptempo with a few chimes, value £5 but I have not found a issue? £10 for DEMO, it is far removed from to-days scene, in other words it's not a DISCO chune, "turn the beat around? come on and jump to the beat" styleee? :ohmy: you will have to search for a sound file? :wink: DAVE

post-13241-0-79827900-1341965847_thumb.jpost-13241-0-79827900-1341965847_thumb.j

Social source share

I just picked up a Jamaican Wirl copy of "Come On Home" and you'll never guess what's on the other side: "I Don't Know" is!

I'll start accepting offers now :-)

how much?

i still need one...

Social source share

Ive played that Oh Mary out....ive also heard it played at Camber scooter rally a few years ago.Who did In A Dream first...Jackie and Millie or the Vips?

i played it at camber a few years back ;-)...and its also been played at go go children by a couple of djs...great tune

Social source share

how much?

i still need one...

Giz a chance, it's got to get here first LOL

I got that one and also a Wirl copy of Keep On Running, do you need that?

Paul I"ve never seen a Jamaican copy of Come On Home / I Don't Know so how I'm gonna price that one may be down to guesswork!

Social source share

:hatsoff2: This has nothing to do with JACKIE EDWARDS? however on EBAY this morning there was a Ken Lazourus? "the RECORD" on WIRL for the buy it now price of just £6 the banner lists HOLIDAY if you want it, VG, But a real good record is the record? :shhh: DAVE
Social source share

I do not think I have one at the moment but I am pretty sure I have had Tell me What Its All About on Canadian Stone? I will check again tonight. Or are you talking UK issue?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!