Weekenders....is There A Demand For A Rare Soul Weekender?

Guest rodw

=========

never never never can we allow the death of saturday all-niter...life would never be the same

hard core til we die.... :)

Like it, we need a few more like you on our Soul in the South Allniter lookbacks lol.....too true an all on both counts !!!
Social source share

Here's a thought for a weekender...

100 Club vs Lifeline vs Burnley - Friday all-nighter (x3 DJ's, x3 30 min sets each)

30 & under (+ Clanger) vs 35 & Over - Saurday all-nighter (x4 Dj's on each team, x2 30 minute sets...youth vs experience)

after those two nights, not sure anyone could manage a sunday night lol :P

All jokes aside if Lifeline or Burnley was to run a weekender, I think it would be well attended.

Callum.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

100 Club vs Lifeline vs Burnley - Friday all-nighter (x3 DJ's, x3 30 min sets each)

30 & under (+ Clanger) vs 35 & Over - Saurday all-nighter (x4 Dj's on each team, x2 30 minute sets...youth vs experience)

All jokes aside if Lifeline or Burnley was to run a weekender, I think it would be well attended.

Callum.

Souds good!!............
Social source share

Not many.

I think Cleethorpes is the weekender for most of the rare soul scene, it's probably the best mix of old and new 60s/70s

3 weeks ago, Cleethorpes Weekender, great sets of rare soul dance records, some of them one offs in the UK if not the world!

'kin brilliant rare soul weekender. :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Callum.

Fair point Callum BUT there is so much more to a rare soul weekenders than just a couple of Niters.

Daytimes are a great opportunity to chill out and here some new stuff as well, rather than more of the same old, or people claiming stuff they play is new / unknown when in reality it ain't.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 weeks ago, Cleethorpes Weekender, great sets of rare soul dance records, some of them one offs in the UK if not the world!

'kin brilliant rare soul weekender. :thumbup:

Indeed mate, enough out there already, maybe weekenders look at other alternate music for sections of weekend if they feel there is a demand, come together with whats on offer, another weekend will just splinter what is already a very fractured scene...

Just a thought.....

Edited by little-stevie
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Rare soul weekenders in Europe do really well, and are attended by a mixed crowd.

Could it do well over here? Yes, why not. There's enough DJ's who can put genuine sets of rare/underplayed soul together to keep the crowd more than happy, at any time of day/night during the weekend covering all genres.

Would it get huge attendance? No, Not in my opinion. BUT if you reign in expectations about numbers through the door and put an event on for the right reasons then it would be a success. No point trying to fill a hugemongous old hall with thousands of people for a rare soul niter/day session. The right venue/venues would need to be selected, big enough to meet demand (would this even exceed 3-400??) but small enough to realise iwhat the attendees are flocking there for.

Don't be too greedy, get the right people behind the decks, offer something for everyone throughout the weekend and it will be worth rare soul lovers investing their hard earned cash.

Callum's idea is an interesting concept (we did a yorks vs lancs thing a few years ago, which was a bit of fun but led to some fantastic sets on the night), and i also agree with Steve's counter comments about the day sessions and what they bring to the mix, all of which would have appeal to rare soul fans i think.

But, like Mr Cato said, lots out there already and perhaps it would be worth the promoters of existing events (similar niters/weekenders/Day sessions) coming together to put this shin dig on rather than just one rep running it and it becoming yet another event clogging up the calendar and not quite hitting it's objective.

Azza

Edited by LilJimmyCrank
Social source share

Rare soul weekenders in Europe do really well, and are attended by a mixed crowd.

Could it do well over here? Yes, why not. There's enough DJ's who can put genuine sets of rare/underplayed soul together to keep the crowd more than happy, at any time of day/night during the weekend covering all genres.

Would it get huge attendance? No, Not in my opinion. BUT if you reign in expectations about numbers through the door and put an event on for the right reasons then it would be a success. No point trying to fill a hugemongous old hall with thousands of people for a rare soul niter/day session. The right venue/venues would need to be selected, big enough to meet demand (would this even exceed 3-400??) but small enough to realise iwhat the attendees are flocking there for.

Don't be too greedy, get the right people behind the decks, offer something for everyone throughout the weekend and it will be worth rare soul lovers investing their hard earned cash.

Callum's idea is an interesting concept (we did a yorks vs lancs thing a few years ago, which was a bit of fun but led to some fantastic sets on the night), and i also agree with Steve's counter comments about the day sessions and what they bring to the mix, all of which would have appeal to rare soul fans i think.

But, like Mr Cato said, lots out there already and perhaps it would be worth the promoters of existing events (similar niters/weekenders/Day sessions) coming together to put this shin dig on rather than just one rep running it and it becoming yet another event clogging up the calendar and not quite hitting it's objective.

Azza

Well said !!!

Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

Azza

All this makes a lot of sense. Can't see you filling a Prestatyn but a comfortable hotel where everyone is one place. A suitable size dancefloor ( not click together), great food, laid back in the day, evening do's finishing about 3 or 4 with somewhere to have a drink and a chill afterwards, nice pool, great location.

I'd be up for that.

Doc

Social source share

Not so Russ. I have been going to venues for a lot of years and it is only very recently that I have had cause to say this. People are playing stuff now that is just not good enough (for me) for no other reason than to play something uknown or what they consider to be unknown. Sallie asked the question and I answered honestly. I would go (if possible) if it was a soul weekender :thumbsup:

Agree 100% Joan, the need to be alternative has definitely interfered with quality, some of its good, but a lot of it like you say aint good enough, its just alternative

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As much as talking about sub standard music is not really anything to do with the topic discussion ?

Kev ..the alternative music you refer to interfering with quality ..quality being what ?

The scene evolves ,there are new tunes being played ,not just by young people you don't know ,but also by Butch ,Sam and many others from around the globe ..Lars and Marc in Germany ..Greg from USA etc etc ..and believe me ,some great tunes out there .

Look at Mister Fish aka Steve Clancys sales lists ..Adam Leavers lists ..Boba's lists ..lots of incredible unknown items ..

Butch's United Sounds is the best tune I've never heard played at a venue yet ,but I bet it sounds incredible !

Sure there are some crap tunes but haven't there always been loads of crap tunes ,mediocre weak records that should never have been pressed ?

IMHO the scene is evolving for the right reason ..because if it didn't ,it would stagnate and we'd all get bored ,stop going out to venues and spend most of our time moaning about the old days and the full venues we used to attend !

• Helpful 3
Social source share

As much as talking about sub standard music is not really anything to do with the topic discussion ?

Kev ..the alternative music you refer to interfering with quality ..quality being what ?

The scene evolves ,there are new tunes being played ,not just by young people you don't know ,but also by Butch ,Sam and many others from around the globe ..Lars and Marc in Germany ..Greg from USA etc etc ..and believe me ,some great tunes out there .

Look at Mister Fish aka Steve Clancys sales lists ..Adam Leavers lists ..Boba's lists ..lots of incredible unknown items ..

Butch's United Sounds is the best tune I've never heard played at a venue yet ,but I bet it sounds incredible !

Sure there are some crap tunes but haven't there always been loads of crap tunes ,mediocre weak records that should never have been pressed ?

IMHO the scene is evolving for the right reason ..because if it didn't ,it would stagnate and we'd all get bored ,stop going out to venues and spend most of our time moaning about the old days and the full venues we used to attend !

Completely agree Nev, and it's that drive from people to find new tunes that forms the underbelly of the rare soul scene which..........bringing back to sallie's question.........is there enough of an appetite to funnel all these beliefs, knowledge, 'morals' of the rare/inderplayed soul scene into one weekender in the uk??

I happen to think yes, with the right input from the right people. "build it and they will come", or should that be MIGHT COME :-)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Completely agree Nev, and it's that drive from people to find new tunes that forms the underbelly of the rare soul scene which..........bringing back to sallie's question.........is there enough of an appetite to funnel all these beliefs, knowledge, 'morals' of the rare/inderplayed soul scene into one weekender in the uk??

I happen to think yes, with the right input from the right people. "build it and they will come", or should that be MIGHT COME :-)

There is and it has been done, Lifeline did it. It had the finest DJ's in UK at the time and many from Europe as well. As I said we are still looking for a suitable venue and if we can find one then Lifeline Weekenders will return.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Brett F

There is and it has been done, Lifeline did it. It had the finest DJ's in UK at the time and many from Europe as well. As I said we are still looking for a suitable venue and if we can find one then Lifeline Weekenders will return.

Agreed..Only went to the first one (remember opening up that first afternoon along with Rich Buckley before the main event as it were), mentioned it on another thread; it did capture both 60's and 70's rare soul which works for me, i miss hearing some of the 60's tunes and spend more time at 70's to Modern type events, purely because i don't like to hear just 60's all night, so i hope if you do get a venue, you will maintain that type of music policy that was evident at the initial weekender, though i'm not sure that the more die hard 60's fans would agree with me.

It's difficult to please all but i feel there is place for such an event. Different Strokes/ Soul or Nothing tonight i believe will embrace that philosophy (well hoping bit more towards 70's) but i sure would attend a 'Weekender' event that captured that spirit in just the one room.

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest marco

Not so Russ. I have been going to venues for a lot of years and it is only very recently that I have had cause to say this. People are playing stuff now that is just not good enough (for me) for no other reason than to play something uknown or what they consider to be unknown. Sallie asked the question and I answered honestly. I would go (if possible) if it was a soul weekender :thumbsup:

I'm with Joan on this one

Social source share

Agreed..Only went to the first one (remember opening up that first afternoon along with Rich Buckley before the main event as it were), mentioned it on another thread; it did capture both 60's and 70's rare soul which works for me, i miss hearing some of the 60's tunes and spend more time at 70's to Modern type events, purely because i don't like to hear just 60's all night, so i hope if you do get a venue, you will maintain that type of music policy that was evident at the initial weekender, though i'm not sure that the more die hard 60's fans would agree with me.

It's difficult to please all but i feel there is place for such an event. Different Strokes/ Soul or Nothing tonight i believe will embrace that philosophy (well hoping bit more towards 70's) but i sure would attend a 'Weekender' event that captured that spirit in just the one room.

If Lifeline was to get a weekender again it would be back to how it was at the Bell. We'd love to do the same at the Stables but just not possible when you have a venue as big and most of the nighter crowd these days want 60's dancers.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes, a weekend of rare and underplayed suits me. The saving grace at Bridlington was the rare rooma nd in particular John Parker, excellent. The main room left a lot to be desired, still have bad memorys of Sunday night where some guy appropriatly wearing a clowns hat playing some real doggy 70s records at the very end of the last night, bloody awful. Ahhhhh.

Social source share

Hi Nev, quality as in not compromising soul content, subjective I know, but its just the way I see it, heard a few sets which included the "funky edge" stuff, quite a bit of it didn,t do it for me, some was good, like I said, subjective but a good subject matter, worth debating.

Best Regards

Kev

Social source share

I'm going to guess that the best attended weekender is the Blackpool Tower one. That tells you all you need to know about what music policy will get the most punters. Popular, classic Northern Soul. Rare Soul Only Weekender - you might get 500 people attend maybe.

Social source share

I'm going to guess that the best attended weekender is the Blackpool Tower one. That tells you all you need to know about what music policy will get the most punters. Popular, classic Northern Soul. Rare Soul Only Weekender - you might get 500 people attend maybe.

I'd settle for 500 people in the right venue playing the music I love. Would I ever!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

I'd settle for 500 people in the right venue playing the music I love. Would I ever!

anybody who loves any particular kind of music would say the same thing= same old story CHOICE
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

Yes, a weekend of rare and underplayed suits me. The saving grace at Bridlington was the rare rooma nd in particular John Parker, excellent. The main room left a lot to be desired, still have bad memorys of Sunday night where some guy appropriatly wearing a clowns hat playing some real doggy 70s records at the very end of the last night, bloody awful. Ahhhhh.

THE last night was and is meant to be a fun party night and indeed it was, so sorry you was in the minority and did not enjoy yourself

bit of advice if you go next year= take the stiffeners out, lighten up a bit and watch so many people enjoying themselves and the try and join in , it wont harm you :rofl:

by the way i am just a paying FUN customer and have no connection to the brid weekender

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

Pretty sure the big weekenders wouldn't be happy with 500 people

depends what the admission price was joan lol :g:
Social source share

depends what the admission price was joan lol :g:

Yes it's all relative. We are talking about a rare weekender here though and as has already been established (or at least assumed) the attendance would not be as large as the more commercial events. Therefore I will say again, 500 people in a venue playing the music I love would be fantastic

Social source share

THE last night was and is meant to be a fun party night and indeed it was, so sorry you was in the minority and did not enjoy yourself

bit of advice if you go next year= take the stiffeners out, lighten up a bit and watch so many people enjoying themselves and the try and join in , it wont harm you :rofl:

by the way i am just a paying FUN customer and have no connection to the brid weekender

Maybe we should do a fancy dress night like Cleethorpes . we maybe on safe ground then :shhh:

Social source share

On topic ..a rare soul weekend ..

It's got to be viable ,so numbers have to be healthy .

If its a weekend ,it's gotta be in a place that can accommodate people stopping over in hotels (normally holiday camp ,seaside town )

If we are talkin rare soul ,weve established there's a diverse crowd ,so hopefully a two to three room venue .

Last but not least ..time of yr and clashing with other nights ,nughters ,weekenders ?

All that above would give someone a big headache :(

Morecambe weekender is not a rare event ,but it's run by people who love soul ,nobody gets payed ,no venues charge money in ...it's a labour of love and puts much needed revenue into hotels and local pubs ,clubs etc ,so the good people of Mirecambe are happy to have us there :)

Try and find somewhere with them sort of values and it could be a great event :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

The reality Pete is 200 and that will take a lot of effort.

Steve

200 of the right people, in the right place, with the right music, will do me.

Doc

Social source share

Maybe we should do a fancy dress night like Cleethorpes . we maybe on safe ground then :shhh:

Sunday night at Cleethorpes is party night, nothing serious, everyone having a laugh and a p*ss up. Dunno why you have to come out with digs at other events like this.

Social source share

Sunday night at Cleethorpes is party night, nothing serious, everyone having a laugh and a p*ss up. Dunno why you have to come out with digs at other events like this.

who having a dig Chalks im not just using the analogy .. other venue's have a good time they get slated , usually by the same people

Social source share

I would settle for a lot less Joan :yes: .....

A topic of interest indeed.....

so would I.

to compare it to football Man Utd get the biggest crowds and win the most trophies but that doesn't mean we all support them.

some of us follow a team with hardly any fans and get just as much pleasure from it.

Social source share

Hi Brett,

At the Lifeline weekenders there was a real mix more chilled and unknowns in the afternoons and early evening, sort of gradually morphed into an allnighter each night, then was kick ass. In the earlier sessions there was no Betty Swann "Kiss my love goodbye" / Prince Phillip Mitchell "I'm so happy" popular oldies either like you get in some of these supposed "R&U" rooms at weekenders or 15 year old Yarmouth spins masquerading as the latest discovery - but instead all good interesting stuff :yes:. Even Mick H was playing slows early doors. I think all of us who were involved as DJs thought it worked really well as a concept.

And Chris, yes 200 of the right people is fine.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

hi Joan

¹I know of 2 cracking venues, but i'm affraid it's all down to costings on smaller events for the full weekend. most rare soul devotees don't blink at £1,000 for a record they want -- and obviously more £££s as well. But £100-£150 for a weekender ticket with decent accommodation brings tears to the eyes !

¹The first Scottish Soul Weekender had the "dream team" line up-I estimated I heard £3,000,000 worth of records on the Friday night alone ! superb line up organised by Dave Thorley , trouble was no punters in the room as the Northern side thought the entry fee was too much !

I think everyone needs decent rooms, there's a few shocks coming to people at the "New" Prestatyn , it's not changed one bit..i was there in May and one of the reasons I didn't take it on.

Hotel based events with two / three decent sized function rooms are what's needed for a 500 crowd , however you need to Book or reserve the whole hotel, I think Lifeline had problems at the Old Bell due to "Normal" people complaining during the wee small hours about loud music, why did the hotel take these bookings ?

Chalky or Andy D will confirm these problems, nobody wants to or can afford to lose money on these ventures, least of all the venue owners who seem happy to keep a venue empty than take a risk on something new.

¹I think there is a demand on the lines of The Stafford re-union in 2010- dare I say rare oldies ? main room, plus satellite rooms playing current biggies and new discoveries all OVO of course.

good luck to all

Rob

• Helpful 2
Social source share

hi Joan

¹

Hi Rob

Yep, I hear ya. Nothing wrong with oldies, they are all oldies at the end of the day and I for one would not have it any other way. Have to say I wasn't a fan of the Old Bell as a venue, music was great mind and a good mix too.

See you at your do next year if not before

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hotel based events with two / three decent sized function rooms are what's needed for a 500 crowd , however you need to Book or reserve the whole hotel, I think Lifeline had problems at the Old Bell due to "Normal" people complaining during the wee small hours about loud music, why did the hotel take these bookings ?

Chalky or Andy D will confirm these problems, nobody wants to or can afford to lose money on these ventures, least of all the venue owners who seem happy to keep a venue empty than take a risk on something new.

Rob

Lifeline had all the rooms for the weekender, no "normal" people as you say.

As for the Scottish weekender, I couldn't make the whole weekend, I wanted to go for the Saturday night but I wasn't prepared to pay the full weekend fee for one night (£80 a ticket I think), ridiculous and no wonder no one went really. I shan't be going this year as I will see Darrow Fletcher at one of the other two venues he is appearing at in the country.

Social source share

Lifeline had all the rooms for the weekender, no "normal" people as you say.

Was this at the all nighters then Chalky ?

rob

The all-nighters the rooms were open to all but only had problems once when fire alarm went off. The main problem was the manageress.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As for the Scottish weekender, I couldn't make the whole weekend, I wanted to go for the Saturday night but I wasn't prepared to pay the full weekend fee for one night (£80 a ticket I think), ridiculous and no wonder no one went really.

You and dozens of other of others felt the same Chalky, if going with a partner that doubles the cost, if you are only into 60s then the other rooms have no appeal - Act wise both Syl Johnson and Debbie Taylor let Yogi down, however you would have enjoyed DJ Honky's 2 sets, absolutely incredible,unknown after unknown, none "covered up" and labels I'd never seen...would have been worth the £80 alone ! With the supporting cast of Lifeline DJs Arthur and Martin- plus Jock , Dave , Duce and co a great venue as well. I think "The Shrine" room stole the show, mainly rare 70s with a mix of 60s & 80s thrown in.

I shan't be going this year as I will see Darrow Fletcher at one of the other two venues he is appearing at in the country.

A big mistake letting acts appear elsewhere before the "anchor" venue is sold out, by all means book them into places with a clause in the contract to say as such.

Rob

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!