Alabama Shakes

[media=]

Alabama shakes, just came across this act on r6 this morning, and mighty fine they are too, anyone else like it? have the album? seen them?

top notch on this track at least methinks!

They were on Jools Holland a few weeks back - really enjoyed them - thought they might of been touring but I think they flew in with Jack White with whom they were touring in the US. It was a particularly good show that night - think Norah Jones was on too. Look out for these too - supporting Dr John at Newcastle shortly -

Mike

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I respect both MIke's and Geese's tastes as a rule but I fail to see what the fuss is all about when it comes to the Alabama Shakes..

The woman's voice is truly horrible and soul-less in the same way that Janis Joplin's was...

Social source share

I respect both MIke's and Geese's tastes as a rule but I fail to see what the fuss is all about when it comes to the Alabama Shakes..

The woman's voice is truly horrible and soul-less in the same way that Janis Joplin's was...

Well I wouldn't say a 'fuss' Tony. I know saying 'I really enjoyed them' could be construed as 'a fuss' from someone from the North East :) ..... but a change is as good as a rest. It is nice to hear some good live music from time to time. Don't suppose I'll be listening to them in 20 years but I'll have a listen and enjoy them for now.

Mike

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I did mean a general public fuss, rather than the very minor maelstrom occurring here on SS, Mike. Guess I should have put that in my first post, really.

When singers/groups like this come along I always ask myself how they would have fared when basic talent and originality wasn't so thin on the ground as it now is.

My feeling about the Alabama Shakes is 'not so well'...

Social source share

I did mean a general public fuss, rather than the very minor maelstrom occurring here on SS, Mike. Guess I should have put that in my first post, really.

When singers/groups like this come along I always ask myself how they would have fared when basic talent and originality wasn't so thin on the ground as it now is.

My feeling about the Alabama Shakes is 'not so well'...

I never take notice of the general public!! Yesterday I heard Joss Stone on Andrew Marr talking about re-visiting the Soul Sessions - she chose to perform 'Teardrops' because she thought we would know as it was the only song she knew from those picked for her!! She was bloody awful. A quick glance on Amazon showed the first volume for sale for 1p !! that's the general public for you :yes:

Social source share

They were on Jools Holland a few weeks back - really enjoyed them - thought they might of been touring but I think they flew in with Jack White with whom they were touring in the US. It was a particularly good show that night - think Norah Jones was on too. Look out for these too - supporting Dr John at Newcastle shortly -

[media=]htt

p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwKUXFHA0og&feature=related

cant believe I missed that, I'll look forwards to seeing the re run.

Mike

Social source share

[media=]

Mike

phantom limb, well thats amazing mate, thanks a lot, dont know if its country of soul, but I love it anyway. The Doc John album sounds pretty good to me too.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

janis sou-less, well tony dont start me on that one, next you'll be saying Hendrix didn't play the guitar with any soul, or Coltane wasnt a soul-ful Horn player, its an atitiude not a style of delivery surely.

Social source share

Well I wouldn't say a 'fuss' Tony. I know saying 'I really enjoyed them' could be construed as 'a fuss' from someone from the North East :) ..... but a change is as good as a rest. It is nice to hear some good live music from time to time. Don't suppose I'll be listening to them in 20 years but I'll have a listen and enjoy them for now.

Mike

I know where your coming from Carol, she's no Etta James, but the band has a downhome feel that I just love and the obvious passion in the delivery carries it through for me. The girl from the phantom Limbs, realy can sing though.

Doesn't do much for me I'm afraid......................best bit is the guitar at the beginning.................then her singing spoils it!!!

:elvis:

Social source share

Guest john s

i dig that phantom limb track, never heard them before, might have to grab the CD from amazon.

Bristol band, saw them yesterday supporting Charles Bradley (who was excellent). :wink:

Social source share

Re : Alabama Shakes....Booker T played a few songs with the band at shows in Washington and Hollywood and said "It makes me think of when I was with Steve Cropper, Al Jackson, Duck Dunn and Otis Redding, I haven't seen that type of group coming together for a lot of years" .......High praise indeed from a soul legend..

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

oh man, i can't hang with that Tad Robinson stuff at all, i see the like button at the bottom right of the post but this has me wondering where the dislike button is :D

Not being tit for tat Kris but I have the same "dislike button" feelings on the Bellrays

Different folks, different strokes

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Alabama Shakes album is a bit boring but if you only hear them track at a time then they are fine, kind of like a less exciting version of the Bell-Rays (who I like a lot more) for me.

I have always liked the Bellrays - a lot - and I think you're almost right about the Shakes' album, other than to say that I would prefer to hear it no tracks at a time... :wicked:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

janis sou-less, well tony dont start me on that one, next you'll be saying Hendrix didn't play the guitar with any soul, or Coltane wasnt a soul-ful Horn player, its an atitiude not a style of delivery surely.

You will never hear me say a bad word about Jimi - in fact I've defended his soulfulness as both a vocalist and musician on here a few times.

Coltrane? Not for me, thanks. I like my tenor men to play in tune and the right key.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!