Mr Lucky

NEV

Which Mr. Lucky? "I was born to love you" on Star-whatever? Thought it was west coast, George Kerr was east coast.

stardom was the invincibles' own label (in LA). that mr lucky is the same dude as lucky jamal davis aka lucky davis.

Social source share

Luckey is now on Facebook and would presumably love to hear from his fans all over the world.

his youtube page was funny as he ripped other people's youtube videos of his records. it would be funny if someone complained.

I have a copy of the first invincibles on stardom on the early orange label that mr lucky is on. I like how the invincibles formed their own label so they could bootleg their own recordings.

Social source share

If you listen to a couple of the videos on YouTube of George Kerr you can probably see why Mr Lucky was covered as George Kerr but I guess the only definitive answer is the one Butch has.

I have a playlist from Butch where he played this upstairs at the last Stafford allnighter.

Social source share

I'm not sure if a few stories are getting mixed up here and I think some of this might have originated from Rob Thomas and I.

When we were with George, in the late 90s, I specifically asked him who Mr Lucky was as the name cropped up on Maltese, and other 45s, that he was associated with. He said it was him and he used it as a sort of cover as he had contractual obligations elsewhere and didn't want to cause himself problems. For the same reason he put his wife's name on the writer credit for 'I Have Faith In You' instead of his own.

We then asked if he'd worked anywhere other than the East Coast/Detroit area and he said he'd done some stuff in L.A. including some singing.

You can see where this is going ... so did he know a song called 'Born To Love You' .... yes that was me he responded.... and if you've heard his unreleased Jobete demo of 'Cabin By The Sea' you will note the similarity in vocal styles.

So when we get back to the UK we retell this rather unusual story to a few people to see what they thought of it. I don't think we were that convinced of the connection but wanted to sound people out .. and I think we have to be mindful that at the time nobody had really investigated the true identity of the L.A. Mr Lucky although in retrospect it seems so obvious.... and I think since then it's become a bit of an urban myth.

On reflection I think we didn't interrogate George enough on specifics and as a result chinese whispers have transformed the story from discussion to it being stated as fact

That's all I can tell you

Andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

thats a great story - thats why northern is so interesting full of cloak n dagger stuff

i have contact with jamal mr lucky davis - if anyone wants to ask him anything via me

know hes keen to perform to his uk fans as i was trying to sort a deal out - early stages

also this is what he can do --if youve an open mind

think this would fill a modern room

Edited by keithw
Social source share

I'd forgotten all about that story Andy but now you recap it, it does stir the grey matter. At least it has answered Nev's question although I d like to know when he remembers it being covered as it as been uncovered for years as far as I know.

Been in contact with Luckey for a long time Keith, back from when I was researching Higland. He did ask me if I could move ten copies of "I was born to love you" and that he had sold a handful to someone in France. Think he was wanting too much for them at the time.

Social source share

I'm not sure if a few stories are getting mixed up here and I think some of this might have originated from Rob Thomas and I.

When we were with George, in the late 90s, I specifically asked him who Mr Lucky was as the name cropped up on Maltese, and other 45s, that he was associated with. He said it was him and he used it as a sort of cover as he had contractual obligations elsewhere and didn't want to cause himself problems. For the same reason he put his wife's name on the writer credit for 'I Have Faith In You' instead of his own.

We then asked if he'd worked anywhere other than the East Coast/Detroit area and he said he'd done some stuff in L.A. including some singing.

You can see where this is going ... so did he know a song called 'Born To Love You' .... yes that was me he responded.... and if you've heard his unreleased Jobete demo of 'Cabin By The Sea' you will note the similarity in vocal styles.

So when we get back to the UK we retell this rather unusual story to a few people to see what they thought of it. I don't think we were that convinced of the connection but wanted to sound people out .. and I think we have to be mindful that at the time nobody had really investigated the true identity of the L.A. Mr Lucky although in retrospect it seems so obvious.... and I think since then it's become a bit of an urban myth.

On reflection I think we didn't interrogate George enough on specifics and as a result chinese whispers have transformed the story from discussion to it being stated as fact

That's all I can tell you

Andy

interesting read andy, thanks for sharing. I am amazed to learn "Cabin By The Sea" is by sung by George Kerr ? I had two identical Jobete acetates of this (sold one to Manship some years ago and kept the other) and always had it down as being sung by Henry Lumpkin ??

Social source share

he could be talking about his singing with the serenaders on VIP, was it recorded in LA?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!