What'S Your 'Jewel In The Crown?'

Len

My 'jewel in the crown' recordS are the ones I most enjoyed dancing to back in 1967 at Sheffirld's Mojo Club allniters -- that time was just 'special' in my life & so the tracks mean lots to me.

Stuff like (just about all 'as cheap as chips') ... Willie Mitchell -- "Oh, Baby You Turn Me On", Stevie Wonder -- "Love A Go Go", Artistics -- "I'm Gonna Miss You", Fascinations -- "Girls Are Out To Get You" and Billy Stewart --"Exodus".

I suppose my fave piece of plastic from the above is Stevie's "Love A Go Go" coz it's an LP track only ... everywhere except France ...

... AND on a trip to Paris many moons ago, I picked up a copy of the French EP with it on from Daniel at 50, rue de l'Arble-Sec.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Len, haven't collected vinyl for many, many years but back circa 1974 the one record that gave me the biggest buzz coming through the post wasn't the rarest, the most desirable, expensive, or even the best record I bought but for some reason, I don't to this day know why, gave me a thrill like no other.

Rex Garvin - Queen of the Go-Go (Tower issue)

Social source share

GOT TO BILLY BUTLERS RIGHT TRACK I HAVE OWNED A FEW COPYS OVER THE YEARS BUT GETING MY FIRST COPY BACK IN THE EARLY 70S WAS SUCH A BUZZ TOOK IT HOME NEVER TOOK IT OFF THE DECK FOR ABOUT A FORTNITE AND I STILL GET A BUZZZZZZ EVERY TIME I HEAR THE FIRST FEW BARS ITS JUST PURE SOUL

Social source share

Guest Brett F

My 'jewel in the crown' recordS are the ones I most enjoyed dancing to back in 1967 at Sheffirld's Mojo Club allniters -- that time was just 'special' in my life & so the tracks mean lots to me.

Stuff like (just about all 'as cheap as chips') ... Willie Mitchell -- "Oh, Baby You Turn Me On", Stevie Wonder -- "Love A Go Go", Artistics -- "I'm Gonna Miss You", Fascinations -- "Girls Are Out To Get You" and Billy Stewart --"Exodus".

I suppose my fave piece of plastic from the above is Stevie's "Love A Go Go" coz it's an LP track only ... everywhere except France ...

... AND on a trip to Paris many moons ago, I picked up a copy of the French EP with it on from Daniel at 50, rue de l'Arble-Sec.

Mojo, excellent, i've a few friends ( somewhat older than me :) ) who went, John Needham and his later wife Marina (she worked as the hat/coat check girl ), very cool and tough lad and full of excitement even in his later years (i knew him via football in the early 1980's) i also went to a Mojo re-union in about 1984 at the Leadmill Sheffield, i heard all the tales about the fun and games in peoples gardens in the early hours LOL..What a time that must have been. Stevie Wonder and Billy Stewart played live i believe ?

Sorry..Off topic.......

Social source share

Mine is Gregory washington - whisper cool breeze - Paramecium a laid back island type tune

it's a cover of the daylighters cool breeze which was a big hit in chicago. i'm pretty sure i have it in two label colors, so now you have to get both of those :). gregory washington was a guitarist who played on a lot of things, his sister is cynthia washington who was lead of Silk on Nation.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

MY 2 TROPHY SOUNDS IF YOU WANT TO CALL THEM THAT,ARE SOUNDS OF LAINE,TRACKS TO MY MIND,COBBLESTONE,NOT EXPENSIVE BUT IT WILL ALWAYS BE IN MY BOX,IT WAS THE IST SOUND I HEARD AT MY 1ST NIGHTER THE JUNCTION IN CREWE WENT THERE WITH ADY DUNDAS ERIC SMITH AND A FEW OTHER SELBY LADS,ALAN DAY WAS THE DJ WHEN HE PUT IT ON TALK ABOUT YOUR HAIR STANDING ON END MINE SURE DID,MY OTHER SOUND IS A UK MGM PINK DEMO OF FATHERS ANGELS,BOK TO BACH, JUST LOVE IT, BOTH HAVE THE SAME EFFECT ON ME WHEN EVER I PLAY THEM AS THE 1ST TIME I HEARD THEM, LOL SAMMY

Social source share

it's a cover of the daylighters cool breeze which was a big hit in chicago. i'm pretty sure i have it in two label colors, so now you have to get both of those :). gregory washington was a guitarist who played on a lot of things, his sister is cynthia washington who was lead of Silk on Nation.

Mine have both been blue labels Bob

1 copy is enough unless I find another for a bargain price are you sure it is a cover sounds nothing like to me also different words ?

Mark

Social source share

RE: .... and his later wife Marina (she worked as the hat/coat check girl

I went out with one of the lasses that ran the cloakroom at the Mojo for a couple of weeks back in late summer 1967 (think her name was Val). Was going with her when Garnett Mimms played the club (Sunday alldayer 24th September 67) and it enabled me to go from the cloakroom area into the dressing room to have a chat with Garnett .... also got his autograph that day. The lass (like me) started back at Granville Rd Tech College a few weeks later, by then Mojo was about to be closed down for good.

......... i also went to a Mojo re-union in about 1984 at the Leadmill Sheffield

Yes, I was also there that night (if it was the time Pete Stringfellow turned up & Geno Washington was on live). Pete still knew me & so I ended up posing with him for a photo that appeared in a Sheffield newspaper a couple of days later.

........ i heard all the tales about the fun and games in peoples gardens in the early hours LOL..What a time that must have been.

The Mojo was really quite civilised. No aggro, no drunks. Big problem it had was that it was surrounded by large houses & their residents didn't like all these strange teenagers hanging about late on Saturday nights to get into the nighter sessions. Then, next morning (when they got up), we were still hanging around outside waiting for the day's early buses back into town. Worst thing we ever did was nick bottles of milk off doorsteps as we were really dry after 8 hours dancing. No doubt some of the older club goers got up to more things in neighbor's gardens.

......... Stevie Wonder and Billy Stewart played live i believe ?

Well I saw Stevie Wonder ... he was on at the last ever Mojo session -- an alldayer on Sunday 8th October 67. The council refused the club a license the next day & so it never opened again. Loads of other great live acts were on at the club but I missed a lot of em as I was still at school till July 66.

Social source share

Mine have both been blue labels Bob

1 copy is enough unless I find another for a bargain price are you sure it is a cover sounds nothing like to me also different words ?

Mark

the other color label is yellow

i always thought they were the same, will have to compare now

Social source share

Darrow Fletcher - I Like The Way I Feel

How come this is not spun at the 100 Club ? (or seen on anyone's playlist ) Heard his Jacklyn and Groovy sides down there but this is just as classy and deserves to be in the spotlight. Same song writer as his earlier cuts, genius guitar, bass as funky as an unwashed armpit, superb brassy orchestration and, of course, DF's gritty vocals . It's a complete winner, a 10 out of 10 job ! Hope he sings it when he appears at the 100 Club in Nov.

If you want to hear it, it's on my You Tube channel - link below

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

How come this is not spun at the 100 Club ? (or seen on anyone's playlist ) Heard his Jacklyn and Groovy sides down there but this is just as classy and deserves to be in the spotlight. Same song writer as his earlier cuts, genius guitar, bass as funky as an unwashed armpit, superb brassy orchestration and, of course, DF's gritty vocals . It's a complete winner, a 10 out of 10 job ! Hope he sings it when he appears at the 100 Club in Nov.

Great record, I'm sure I've heard it played out but not for years. I would think it would have been The 100 Club but you're right, it's not played out much at all.

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm sure I played it down there, but that would've been a long time ago!

In fact I might dig it out to play at tomorrows Downtown Soulville!

Edited by Tony Smith
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Ive played this on and off for years, early Burnley niters & a semi regular spin at the Bradford events I run. I think its his best 45!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Just been trying to pick one but found it impossible to pick just the one,so many of my records have different memories attached to them.Whether it's the song it's self or where I bought or who it reminds me of etc. Maybe this is why I've never thought about selling up???

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The Poets - She Blew a Good Thing.......

About 1970 on a juke box in a pub, the first record I knew I had to have that wasn't a new chart release.

I had been collecting all the Stax and Atlantic stuff and buying all the latest UK Motown releases up to that point, but then realised there was so much stuff that had gone before that I had'nt heard............

This record unbeknown to me at the time set me off on a life long journey of tracking down Soul, Doo Wop and rare Soul (Northern Soul scene later) things were different in those days, you had to really work hard to find records, scour the small ads in the music press, junk shops, talk to people , look through peoples precious records........anyway I found one and still love it, in fact I have every copy and issue of this record now, and even still play it out now and again.......

• Helpful 3
Social source share

What's your 'Jewel In The Crown?'

That special record...

If you had to pick just one record from your collection as your pride and joy, what would it be and why? I'm not talking about the most expensive or the rarest, just the one that means the most to you.

Mine is 'Jeanie Tracy - Making New Friends' simply because of the 'chase' I had to get it and the times it reminds me of. I had it on tape for years and thoroughly enjoyed listening to it travelling to nighters etc, not knowing what it was called. It took me 20 years to finally get a copy, mind you it does help the search if you find out what a record is actually called lol - That's what record collecting is all about!

You may have bought a particular record off the artist or maybe a record means something very personal to you, I'm sure there are some great 'links' you have to your 'Jewel In The Crown' :thumbsup:

All the best,

Len.

Bloody hell Len, I must have had the same cassette tape 'cos I too listened to it, and the others, for years, without knowing what most of them were. Then, slowly, one by one, I got to know what some of them were and subsequently bought them. This one I didn't know the artist or title until now, so off I go to buy one, providing that is, it's not a stupidly expensive record?

I'm pretty sure the cassette tape came from an old pal Nick Cowan, who in turn had it recorded for him by a couple of guys from the Wirral I think, who were really into this kinda stuff years before anybody else. Well certainly within the circle of friends I knew at the time.

One of the others on the cassette tape was 'Whatever's Fair' by Billy Butler & Infinity. Was that too, by any chance, on the tape you had?

Bugger, just checked and that Jeanie Tracy record is a $1000 record. Typical!!! :(

Edited by denbo
Social source share

Only one thing it could possibly be for me, Eddie Holland "Daydreamer", I'll never forget the first time I heard it, I was with Bob Miner in Chicago and the feeling I got, I can't remember ever being hit my a sound like it. It did take me a few years to get the acetate but I eventually got my grubby little mitts on it :) It's the one record that will be playing when they carry me out!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Mine is 'Jeanie Tracy - Making New Friends' simply because of the 'chase' I had to get it and the times it reminds me of. I had it on tape for years and thoroughly enjoyed listening to it travelling to nighters etc, not knowing what it was called. It took me 20 years to finally get a copy, mind you it does help the search if you find out what a record is actually called lol - That's what record collecting is all about!

Hi Len

No jewel from me but this reminds me of a tape I had about 20 years ago, loads of great tracks on there but no listing. Like you I slowly managed to put titles and artists to tunes but one track alluded me. I counted on the fact it was called I Want to Thank You (or something similar) - do you know how many records there are called Thank You? Fecking hundreds - I know cause I listened to most of them!

Anyway, fast forward 15 years (found out what the record was by now btw, took about 2 years though) had a video of Shotts anniversary here, had it years and was watching it again one day when the camera zoomed in on the decks while Andy Whitmore was DJing and the next record he played was the one I'd been looking for. Couldn't believe it cause the video was made before the tape.

The record was Matt Brown - Thank You Baby - Jar Val. Phew!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Len

No jewel from me but this reminds me of a tape I had about 20 years ago, loads of great tracks on there but no listing. Like you I slowly managed to put titles and artists to tunes but one track alluded me. I counted on the fact it was called I Want to Thank You (or something similar) - do you know how many records there are called Thank You? Fecking hundreds - I know cause I listened to most of them!

Anyway, fast forward 15 years (found out what the record was by now btw, took about 2 years though) had a video of Shotts anniversary here, had it years and was watching it again one day when the camera zoomed in on the decks while Andy Whitmore was DJing and the next record he played was the one I'd been looking for. Couldn't believe it cause the video was made before the tape.

The record was Matt Brown - Thank You Baby - Jar Val. Phew!

I wonder if this tape was the same one we all had? If so, it must have been so far ahead of it's time to have affected so many of us for so long. I wonder who the guys were that put it together? I'm gonna get back in touch with Nick Cowan. It's about time I did, it's been a very long time and therefore well overdue.

Social source share

Only one thing it could possibly be for me, Eddie Holland "Daydreamer", I'll never forget the first time I heard it, I was with Bob Miner in Chicago and the feeling I got, I can't remember ever being hit my a sound like it. It did take me a few years to get the acetate but I eventually got my grubby little mitts on it :) It's the one record that will be playing when they carry me out!

You didn't get Bob Miner's copy right? Because I got Bob Miner's copy.

His was cool because it was on a 7" acetate, I think most others were on that multitrack thing pictured in the video.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

[media=]

That is really one sound to be proud about! On my top five ever!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just been trying to pick one but found it impossible to pick just the one,so many of my records have different memories attached to them.Whether it's the song it's self or where I bought or who it reminds me of etc. Maybe this is why I've never thought about selling up???

Cheers

Martyn

Ok, I'll rephrase.....If your life depended on it and you had to pick just one record from your collection that 'as if by magic' would save your life - What would it be?....Martyn, you have until Tuesday to find one or it will be too late..... :D

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Bloody hell Len, I must have had the same cassette tape 'cos I too listened to it, and the others, for years, without knowing what most of them were. Then, slowly, one by one, I got to know what some of them were and subsequently bought them. This one I didn't know the artist or title until now, so off I go to buy one, providing that is, it's not a stupidly expensive record?

I'm pretty sure the cassette tape came from an old pal Nick Cowan, who in turn had it recorded for him by a couple of guys from the Wirral I think, who were really into this kinda stuff years before anybody else. Well certainly within the circle of friends I knew at the time.

One of the others on the cassette tape was 'Whatever's Fair' by Billy Butler & Infinity. Was that too, by any chance, on the tape you had?

Bugger, just checked and that Jeanie Tracy record is a $1000 record. Typical!!! :(

lol, even now I hear stuff at nighters I've had on tape for years. I know the tune so well but not a fackin' clue what's it called! lol - Is this wrong? I recon it's part of the fun - 'tis for me anyhow.

Ref Jeanie Tracey, yes I'm afraid it is 'silly' money now. Not a clue (again) on how rare it is but I think it's one of those tunes, that if you have it you ain't gonna part with it. I think Cliff Steel paid £20.00 for it years ago, I ended up paying £600.00 and don't mind admitting it was off John Manship's auction...I just kept going as a) I wanted the record and b) I didn't want to lose the auction! lol (I don't often win anything you see) This was only a few years ago, so even in a recession, some records still go up in value.

Keep listening to those tapes mate - The only reason I bought my latest car was because it had a cassette player :D - True.

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

For me it would probably have to be Linda Jones - Just can't live my life.

Got this on tape years ago and I remember playing it on my Walkman on the way to work over and over again. When the song finished, I'd hit the rewind button and listen to it again never tiring of it.

Eventually I got a copy on 45 from Rob Wigley and just couldn't wait for it to arrive. It seemed like an eternity before it came through the letter box and when it did, tragedy struck. I'd had it sent registered post - I really wanted to make sure it arrived safely, so desperate was I for it.

However, it then occurred to me that the postman had just popped it through the letter box - he hadn't asked for a signature. Picking the packet up from the mat, I then saw that there was no registered mail sticker on it. In fact, it looked as if it had been ripped off. Worse, there was an ominous crease across the length of the cardboard packaging.

Opening it up, my heart sank. The record was in two pieces.

The money was eventually refunded by the Post Office and I got another copy of the 45 at some point. The broken record has been stuck to a record box since then (although it's been in four pieces for years). However, I'll never forget the mixture of anticipation, excitement and then tragic disappointment on that day and in many respects the emotional roller coaster ride of that day contains even now something of an essence of this thing we call 'Northern Soul'.

After all, apart from love, what else can lift you so high and then drop you to such depths? It's the very heart of 'soul' itself and as Linda still cries out, "I just can't live my life without you..."

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Brooky

This one isn't too expensive athough neither is it to everyone's taste. However, it has a superb hook. Also it's one of the few tunes that prompted both my son's into my study at certain times in their teens to say..."who's that one by Dad"?

It was played a good deal at the Casino when I first started going in 1976 - so as a 'glide and shuffle' merchant, I loved it because I could never get on with that stomping business!

I still find myself seeking it out on the iPhone whilst sitting out on the patio late at night with the Shiraz kicking in!!!

post-26636-0-06063100-1341135294_thumb.j

In case you want to remind yourself how good it was / is....... :D

[media=]

Edited by Brooky
Social source share

I wonder if this tape was the same one we all had? If so, it must have been so far ahead of it's time to have affected so many of us for so long. I wonder who the guys were that put it together? I'm gonna get back in touch with Nick Cowan. It's about time I did, it's been a very long time and therefore well overdue.

I think loads of us had these 'legendary' tapes as don't forget this was before 'it was easy' and tapes or 'playing records down the phone' to a mate was 'normal' Some of these tapes would have spread across country just through friends sharing them and yes your right, they definitely influenced a lot of us.

I know some people have binned their tapes; I would never do that as to this day, I'm still 'discovering' new sounds. I also love the 'LIVE' tapes that people used to record from a huge Ghetto Blaster hidden in a sports bag so they wouldn't get caught :D - Of course, the sound quality is rough as hell, but I find them 'romantic' :thumbsup:

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

For me it would probably have to be Linda Jones - Just can't live my life.

Got this on tape years ago and I remember playing it on my Walkman on the way to work over and over again. When the song finished, I'd hit the rewind button and listen to it again never tiring of it.

Eventually I got a copy on 45 from Rob Wigley and just couldn't wait for it to arrive. It seemed like an eternity before it came through the letter box and when it did, tragedy struck. I'd had it sent registered post - I really wanted to make sure it arrived safely, so desperate was I for it.

However, it then occurred to me that the postman had just popped it through the letter box - he hadn't asked for a signature. Picking the packet up from the mat, I then saw that there was no registered mail sticker on it. In fact, it looked as if it had been ripped off. Worse, there was an ominous crease across the length of the cardboard packaging.

Opening it up, my heart sank. The record was in two pieces.

The money was eventually refunded by the Post Office and I got another copy of the 45 at some point. The broken record has been stuck to a record box since then (although it's been in four pieces for years). However, I'll never forget the mixture of anticipation, excitement and then tragic disappointment on that day and in many respects the emotional roller coaster ride of that day contains even now something of an essence of this thing we call 'Northern Soul'.

After all, apart from love, what else can lift you so high and then drop you to such depths? It's the very heart of 'soul' itself and as Linda still cries out, "I just can't live my life without you..."

I can absolutely relate to all that - It's just amazing how powerful this music is.

Nice one :thumbsup:

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

This one isn't too expensive athough neither is it to everyone's taste. However, it has a superb hook. Also it's one of the few tunes that prompted both my son's into my study at certain times in their teens to say..."who's that one by Dad"?

It was played a good deal at the Casino when I first started going in 1976 - so as a 'glide and shuffle' merchant, I loved it because I could never get on with that stomping business!

I still find myself seeking it out on the iPhone whilst sitting out on the patio late at night with the Shiraz kicking in!!!

post-26636-0-06063100-1341135294_thumb.j

In case you want to remind yourself how good it was / is....... :D

Yes, it is a great tune that also stirs my earliest memories. I often thought it funny that some of us who have come onto the soul scene from different generations often have the same tunes as early memories - As you said, you the Casino days, me 15 years later.

This particular record often revisits my play box and every time I play it out, it still takes me by surprise at how good it is when 'blasted' over the decks....Have to admit, it often refills my empty dance floor too! :D

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

What's your 'Jewel In The Crown?'

That special record...

If you had to pick just one record from your collection as your pride and joy, what would it be and why? I'm not talking about the most expensive or the rarest, just the one that means the most to you.

You may have bought a particular record off the artist or maybe a record means something very personal to you, I'm sure there are some great 'links' you have to your 'Jewel In The Crown' :thumbsup:

All the best,

Len.

i`d have to agree there len.....my copy in the clip also

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You didn't get Bob Miner's copy right? Because I got Bob Miner's copy.

His was cool because it was on a 7" acetate, I think most others were on that multitrack thing pictured in the video.

Right mine came from Rob Thomas, it is one of the two found over here.

According to my acetate listing there is only three copies but I'm not to sure about that.

ATB

David

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

danny lee. stop calling me baby. first heard it 1998, took me years to find it, then i did totally by accident, i woke up one morning about 4.oo and as you do straight onto ebay and there it was in a "lot"............a few have been onto it since. check it out

Social source share

Dennis ? that would have been Colin Dilnott and myself, John Clement, our copies came from Soul Bowl around '75-76 when the new sounds were just filtering through. That tape might have had the other Brown Door releases on it Marvin Holmes & Dorothy Morrison paid no more than £2.00 each for them, all went on to become big records but its Jeannie Tracy that commands the big bucks now sadly I no longer have a copy. First record I owned with a synthesised riff in it though.

If I remember you were a big collector of UK sides back in the day.

My crown jewel is Eloise Laws Love Factory I can still remember the first time I heard it at Wigan it blew me away and the Hot Wax/Invictus connection made it all the more desirable, managed to get one for about £6.00 back then but that went when I sold that collection managed to get another that one came from Japan!!!! Northern Soul do travel.

John

Social source share

Dennis ? that would have been Colin Dilnott and myself, John Clement, our copies came from Soul Bowl around '75-76 when the new sounds were just filtering through. That tape might have had the other Brown Door releases on it Marvin Holmes & Dorothy Morrison paid no more than £2.00 each for them, all went on to become big records but its Jeannie Tracy that commands the big bucks now sadly I no longer have a copy. First record I owned with a synthesised riff in it though.

If I remember you were a big collector of UK sides back in the day.

My crown jewel is Eloise Laws Love Factory I can still remember the first time I heard it at Wigan it blew me away and the Hot Wax/Invictus connection made it all the more desirable, managed to get one for about £6.00 back then but that went when I sold that collection managed to get another that one came from Japan!!!! Northern Soul do travel.

John

Hi John, and yes, it's Dennis. :thumbsup:

Thanks for getting back to me on this one. It's good to know now the names of the guys who put that cassette tape together, or should I say reminded. Of course, I remember your names now but not your faces. We perhaps only ever met once or twice and that will have been via Nick Cowan no doubt. I really must dig that tape out again, it's well overdue another listen. Hope it doesn't snap on me after all these years of being stashed away on my shelves.

Yes, I was, and still am to a lesser degree these days, a UK label collector. If by big you meant UK only, then yes I was. What with me collecting mostly R&B these days, I'm now much more into collecting US labels as most of what I'm after these days didn't get released over here. I still collect UK labels and it's still a thrill. We never grow up us blokes, do we? :lol:

Where are you living now? Where's Colin at? I'm hoping Nick's still teaching at the Bluecoat 'cos I need to get back in touch with him. I'm living in St.Helens now. Anyhow, it was nice hearing from you. Perhaps I'll see you out and about sometime? :yes:

Regards,

Dennis.

Social source share

Hi John, and yes, it's Dennis. :thumbsup:

Thanks for getting back to me on this one. It's good to know now the names of the guys who put that cassette tape together, or should I say reminded. Of course, I remember your names now but not your faces. We perhaps only ever met once or twice and that will have been via Nick Cowan no doubt. I really must dig that tape out again, it's well overdue another listen. Hope it doesn't snap on me after all these years of being stashed away on my shelves.

Yes, I was, and still am to a lesser degree these days, a UK label collector. If by big you meant UK only, then yes I was. What with me collecting mostly R&B these days, I'm now much more into collecting US labels as most of what I'm after these days didn't get released over here. I still collect UK labels and it's still a thrill. We never grow up us blokes, do we? :lol:

Where are you living now? Where's Colin at? I'm hoping Nick's still teaching at the Bluecoat 'cos I need to get back in touch with him. I'm living in St.Helens now. Anyhow, it was nice hearing from you. Perhaps I'll see you out and about sometime? :yes:

Regards,

Dennis.

Colin and I are still on the Wirral along with Kevin Horsewood, I don't think Nick is at the Bluecoat anymore and might possibly have given up the cause!!!! I do remember looking through your box at the numerous UK issues you had and prices you paid !!!

Hope you find that tape I'll do my best to identify any tracks you don't know.

Best

John

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Don Varner "Tear Stained Face" my all time favourite & designated funeral record. I'd sell a kidney before this - and only in recent years realised what a monster the other side is "Mojo Mama".

Cheers........Pete

Social source share

Guest jinx74

Project Soul (aka Con-Funk-Shun) 45

ive travelled and sourced a lot of artists over the years but i went WAY crazy to try and get this. travelled to the middle school where Felton Pilate and a few others went. They ALL knew them as Project Soul! they pushed us off to the high school. from there they helped direct us to Feltons music teacher whos STILL teaching to this day. he put us in touch with Feltons mother who i talked to for about 30+ minutes. she gave me Feltons number and we talked about getting a copy from him. when that didnt happen i was lucky enough to grab a copy from a friend who got his from the engineer (lucky him because the engineer never called me back!)

anyway... Sweet Things of Life is one of my all time favorite tunes

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!