Us Volt Demos

Denbo

If Sebastian is reading this, or if anybody else would like to oblige, can you tell me if red and white Demos on the early Volt label design are unusual or common? Red and black Demos yes, but what about red and white ones?

Social source share

Less usual Dennis, I've got pretty much all the Volt stuff and I have a few of these. Steve

PS: When are we all meeting up again?

Is that red on white background or white on red background? I can't remember now which way round mine is?

As for when we're meeting up again. Errr, can't remember now? I don't think we fixed a date?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Less usual Dennis, I've got pretty much all the Volt stuff and I have a few of these. Steve

Be interested to know what the earliest one of these is that you have is, Steve.

Like you I have a few, but nothing earlier than The Mad lads 'Patch My Heart' which is Volt 139.

Can you beat that?

Social source share

Be interested to know what the earliest one of these is that you have is, Steve.

Like you I have a few, but nothing earlier than The Mad lads 'Patch My Heart' which is Volt 139.

Can you beat that?

Now checked.....The only one I have is 143 which is another Mad Lads 45. Everything else on my racks is either Black / Red or Black White.

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Yes, my one and only red and white Volt demo is the Mad Lads but can't remember which one?

Unless Tone can show us otherwise, perhaps it's the only one after all?

Let me know Ste if we DO have a date fixed for our next drinkie poos.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yes, my one and only red and white Volt demo is the Mad Lads but can't remember which one?

Unless Tone can show us otherwise, perhaps it's the only one after all?

I definitely have a Charmels on R & W demo - it's either 'Please Uncle Sam' or 'Loving Material'.

Trouble is, it's buried somewhere in the 'mess' that was once a well-organised and easily-accessed collection. I looked for it the other week to show it in the Complete Charmels/Jeanne and the Darlings CD that I just put together for Kent (out at the end of July, 29 tracks including 7 previously unissued, nearly 80 minutes playing time, fantastic stuff, sales pitch over...) and I couldn't put my hands on it then. If it pitches up when I'm next trawling, I'll scan it and put the scan up here.

I think - and I only think, I couldn't be 100% certain - that I've also seen (but don't own) Otis Redding's 'Glory Of Love' on a R&W...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Ooo err -nice variation. West Coast?

No, the red and whites are west coast (Monarch pressed), or at least the ones that I have are - this one is from, I think, somewhere up north (NB not Manchester or Wigan...)

Fortunately I work with the world's greatest expert on pressing plants used by Atlantic. If he hasn't gone to Wimbledon today I'll ask him for details when I get into Ace later on...

Shame I didn't have that variation toshow in the Complete Charmels/Jeanne and the Darlings CD that I just put together for Kent (out at the end of July, 29 tracks including 7 previously unissued, nearly 80 minutes playing time, fantastic stuff, blah blah blah, sales pitch over again...) :thumbup::lol:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

That Charmels of John's is pressed at ARP in Michigan. One of the few Volt titles pressed there.

Cheers, Gareth, saved me waiting till my colleague is next in. Atlantic used ARP a fair bit in 1967, I have several Atlantic stockers and demos with an AM suffix from that year as well as a handful of stock Stax 45s that were pressed there e.g. Eddie Floyd 'Down Ta My House', Rufus Thomas 'Greasy Spoon' (I think), William Bell 'Eloise', and possibly others that i can't remember without pulling 'em off the shelves and having a butcher's...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

No, the red and whites are west coast (Monarch pressed), or at least the ones that I have are - this one is from, I think, somewhere up north (NB not Manchester or Wigan...)

Am going to have to check again Tony as I thought my R&W was vinyl....will let everyone know laters.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

So have we established whether there are more than 2 of the red US ones, beyond the two we've already identified?

To be honest personally am more interested in the red US presses rather than Jamaica, Bahamas, Trinidad or anywhere else. :thumbsup:

Me too Ste BUT, acknowledgement of the 'others' helps the less well informed, like my good self, realise what it is that they might have. Don't you think?

Btw, what were the two 'established' red US presses? Sorry for being so lazy. :D

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

I notice that the VOLT 143 RED / WHITE has VLT-11419-MO and as already mentioned a MONARCH press.

Was it MONARCH that decided to have a Coloured DEMO rather than Black / White.

It does happen with other labels where the WEST COAST MONARCH is coloured.

Some MONARCH DEMOs are incredibly hard to find like the GORDY DEMOs.

They are out there but finding them is Virtually Impossible.

Gordy_G-7028a_DJ.gifGordy_G-7028b_DJ.gif

VOLT_45-148-A_DJ.pngVOLT_45-148-B_DJ.pngVLT-12034-BW

VOLT_45-148-A_DJ--1.jpgVOLT_45-148-B_DJ--1.jpgVLT-12034-PL

This DEMO has just arrived, got me wondering.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...the one at the top is very interesting, Rog'. Consenus here in the office is that nobody has ever seen a Bestway-pressed Stax or Volt single before...

Social source share

What's the story with this 4 track 7"? :g:

weird, would expect the later era volt sleeve to be a mismatch & that it should have had a picture sleeve originally? Most of the other Stax jukebox EP's I've seen had small spindle holes. I've had the Dock Of The Bay EP but it's different to the one you posted.

Social source share

Guest ineptmod45

What's the story with this 4 track 7"? :g:

this is a Canadian juke box single, it came with a really flimsy paper sleeve. Does anybody have a list of the mini juke box albums released in the US? I have a few but would love to find some more
Social source share

• 2 years later...

That red'n'white demo is very cool :shades:

No other reason for posting the Colette Kelly other than it is such a great track :thumbup:

post-9555-0-98630500-1345641782_thumb.jp

Was just reading up this thread [ I know it's 3 years old, it's a slow day ! ], and realised this demo is black and white, and I have a blue and white copy, without the  ' promotional copy not for sale ' words, but has the same ' plug side ' words on the ' long and lonely world ' side. I know this is obvious to someone on here, but be great if someone could explain.....or refer me to a previous thread ?

Many thanks

pete

Social source share

Was just reading up this thread [ I know it's 3 years old, it's a slow day ! ], and realised this demo is black and white, and I have a blue and white copy, without the  ' promotional copy not for sale ' words, but has the same ' plug side ' words on the ' long and lonely world ' side. I know this is obvious to someone on here, but be great if someone could explain.....or refer me to a previous thread ?

Many thanks

pete

Sometimes there wasn't a uniform template so different pressing plants had different designs.  Regarding the "Plug Side", "Long And Lonely World" was the official A-Side.  If you look at the plate number LALW is VO-0189-PL whereas City Of Fools is VO-0190-PL

Social source share

The suggestion is that your Bobby Wilson Red / White VOLT DEMO (if it is from U.S.A.) Should be a Styrene Monarch Press with a Delta Number in the Deadwax.

VOLT_45-144-A_DJ_WC.jpgVOLT_45-144-B_DJ_WC.jpg

Just adding to Information from 3 Years ago. Here are the scans as I have since found a copy for my collection.

It is the next number on from The Mad Lads Red & White pictured earlier in the thread.

By no means an easy find are these Red & White DEMOs.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!