Missing 45 From The States. This Time Ebay Help Needed

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Good Morning All.

I know that there was a thread recently regarding missing items from the US but if I remember correctly, it was for a bulk shipment and not via Ebay??

I'd be grateful for any advice on this one please....

I brought and paid for an item on the 7th June and paid $38 postage and insurance - total cost in all was $320 (A heck of a lot of money for me)

Yesterday I contacted the seller very politely to ask if he could update me as to when I might recieve the record. He's given me a tracking number and has also admitted that He has no idea where the record is. I've checked USPS tracking service and their site says that it hasn't even left the US but was posted on the 9th.

The seller has stated that USPS needs 23 days to investigate matters with the UK postal service but for what I've paid, I really don't want to wait a further month!! If the record had been lost in the UK, I'd have presumed that it would be held up in customs (presuming he's declared the actual value of the item) But is there a time limit for Ebay and starting a missing item claim??

I don't want to wait a further 23 days only to be told that I've left things too late. I've agreed I'll give things till the end of the week but He's also asking me to check things with the P.O this end. I don't see how I can as it's not even reached these shores yet.

I do feel very sorry for the seller, and I've no doubt that he's done everything correctly his end but I really can't afford to be $320 out of pocket, especially when it is a gift for my Other Arf.....Double loss!!!

Should I report the item missing to Ebay yet?? Any further advice would be appreciated.

Teresa

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

i would report it to ebay if you leave it to long and you record does not come you will not get your money email the seller and tell him this is to cover your self as it is a lot of money ask if he sent it insured that way he can claim the money back for the lost item

Social source share

I believe you can put in a claim up to 45 days from time of purchase (June 7th) so that was 19 days ago, leaving a further 26 days - but that is leaving it to the last minute - you probably should claim earlier than that, just to be safe. Maybe give it another week and see if anything turns up, either record or info from PO etc.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Records from the USA are coming very very very late.... I put a claim on two days before the dead line waited another few weeks before the dead line for lost items... then it got resolved ..... and at the same day the record arrived (8 weeks) and I had to sent the money back to the seller..... bloody nightmare for everyone at the moment !!!!!!

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Just to confirm that the record WAS sent insured....I paid enough for that service $38!! I've just rang Royal Mail and the tracking used confirms that the item is still in the US and they are unable to do anything to help either myself or the seller.

I'm glad this 45 days for claiming applies to this as Mick has mentioned above. I did not want to go back to the seller too unsure about where I stand on this matter. Also, if the record does turn up, no matter how late....I'd refund him at once, even if he claims the money back via insurance. I really don't want any bad karma from all this....just the record or my money back will do.

I'm presuming that if UK customs has this 45, it would show on the tracking that it was held up here in the UK??

Much thanks for the replies!

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

I'm hoping the same will happen in this case Boba. I'll let the seller know at once if it arrives :)

I'm just really concerned about the 45 day thing, as He can claim his money back through his insurance and I'd be seriously out of pocket without knowing if it'll eventually turn up or not.

Social source share

I'm hoping the same will happen in this case Boba. I'll let the seller know at once if it arrives :)

I'm just really concerned about the 45 day thing, as He can claim his money back through his insurance and I'd be seriously out of pocket without knowing if it'll eventually turn up or not.

you should 100% put in the dispute before the 45th day. Just say the package did not arrive. At that point paypal is not taking any action, it just initiates communication between you and the seller. It buys you more time. Paypal will only start to take action (probably giving your money back) after you escalate the dispute to a claim. If you're currently communicating with the seller on good terms you can even tell them you're putting in a paypal dispute just so you don't miss the window but don't plan to escalate it to a claim. Maybe on the 44th day put in the dispute.

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Many Thanks for those words of wisdom Boba.

I got really concerned when he asked me to wait a further 23 days and my first thoughts were that he could be aware of this 45 day thing but it's wrong of me to be suspicious about it. He seems fair and friendly and I really don't want to doubt Him at all. As You said, I'll start the dispute but I'll not escalate the claim until the very last.

And agreed with Dancingcollector..... I'm now dreading the thought of the customs charge. If this record is being tracked and hunted down, wherever it may be. I'm presuming that customs will now await thee :( Anyone know what I'm liable for on a $320 sale???

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Awww.... The poor lad has agreed that this is the best way to proceed and He understands totally, as to why I need to start the claim. Just had a really nice message from Him.

Thank You for the advice Everyone :thumbup:

Social source share

Many Thanks for those words of wisdom Boba.

I got really concerned when he asked me to wait a further 23 days and my first thoughts were that he could be aware of this 45 day thing but it's wrong of me to be suspicious about it. He seems fair and friendly and I really don't want to doubt Him at all. As You said, I'll start the dispute but I'll not escalate the claim until the very last.

And agreed with Dancingcollector..... I'm now dreading the thought of the customs charge. If this record is being tracked and hunted down, wherever it may be. I'm presuming that customs will now await thee :( Anyone know what I'm liable for on a $320 sale???

Should be 20% (Vat Rate) of $320 (about £200) - so that's £40 .... PLUS a handling charge - don't know how much these days - last time I got hit it was either £8 or £9 about 3 years ago .... So thats about £50 all in. But don't be surprised if it's a little more, as exchange rates vary etc. and handling charge may be more than £10. If you work on £60 you will "probably" get change.

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

This is probably the worse case scenario, and as John S says, you may get off without a charge - Best of luck.

Cheers

Mick

I had a record caught by the customs charges about 4 months ago. £15 handling charge PLUS 20% of declared value. This was a £55 ish record so worked out at £26 costs = 47%!!!! The worst thing was, the 45 was yellow wax and decribed as Mint Minus. It LOOKED mint minus but played POOR MINUS. I retuned it and got a refund but not the customs charges.

Edited by bo diddley
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert