Lois Lane On Ua Or Scepter?

Louise Williams Bishop: Born in Cairo, Georgia, she moved to Philadelphia as a young child. A graduate of West Philadelphia High School, she earned a degree in communications and radio broadcasting from the American Foundation of Dramatic Arts.She began her communications career at WHAT radio, as the youngest voice in radio. She immediately fell in love with radio and the power the microphone gave her to communicate with the masses on a daily basis. Moving to WDAS-AM, she hosted, "The Louise Bishop Program" for over 49 years. Her program was consistently one of the highest rated programs at the station, she used it to inform and unite people around social, civic and religious issues.

Louise Williams Bishop enjoyed an amazingly fast rise in the radio ratings, this gave birth to her radio title, The Gospel Queen. In 1978 she was called to the ministry and became an ordained Evangelist by the Pennsylvania Baptist Associate. She felt God moving her to minister more than just between records on her gospel program. She did however use the power her radio show afforded her for good. Her efforts resulted in her third career; running for a state representative seat. She was 1st elected to serve in the state House of Representatives in 1988 and has been re-elected to office eleven times for the 192nd Legislative District, West Philadelphia. The area she represents encompasses some of Philadelphia's most affluent and poorest residents. It is also home to many Philadelphia institutions including St. Joseph's University, Overbrook High School and Pinn Memorial Baptist Church.

As a State Representative, she has been an instrument of change and a sponsor of legislation on issues such as education, tax relief, economic development, violence prevention and nutrition. Currently she is the chair of the Majority Children and Youth Committee where much time is spent dealing with children and youth issues violence, obesity, education, foster care, and other issues effecting the quality of life of children.

Louise speaking in the State House of Representatives .....

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Jimmy Bishop was a 'very busy boy' back in the mid to late 60's in Philly.

He left St Louis Radio Stn KATZ in 1963 and moved back to Philly to work at WDAS there.

Max Leon was the founder, owner and President of radio stn WDAS and Jimmy soon married his daughter, Sonia Leon (she was older than Jimmy).

Soon after, Jimmy started Arctic Records and signed (after an introduction by Weldon McDougal) Barbara Mason to the label (she was only 17 years old). He quickly developed a 'very close' relationship with Barbara and became her manager (she also had a child by him). Before the end of the 60's, his marriage to Sonia Leon had ended and he got spliced to Louis Williams.

So apart from being a top local DJ, running a record label, managing artists and promoting top local shows; he obviously still found plenty of time to pursue an active personal life.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Louise Williams Bishop: Born in Cairo, Georgia, she moved to Philadelphia as a young child. A graduate of West Philadelphia High School, she earned a degree in communications and radio broadcasting from the American Foundation of Dramatic Arts.She began her communications career at WHAT radio, as the youngest voice in radio. She immediately fell in love with radio and the power the microphone gave her to communicate with the masses on a daily basis. Moving to WDAS-AM, she hosted, "The Louise Bishop Program" for over 49 years. Her program was consistently one of the highest rated programs at the station, she used it to inform and unite people around social, civic and religious issues.

Louise Williams Bishop enjoyed an amazingly fast rise in the radio ratings, this gave birth to her radio title, The Gospel Queen. In 1978 she was called to the ministry and became an ordained Evangelist by the Pennsylvania Baptist Associate. She felt God moving her to minister more than just between records on her gospel program. She did however use the power her radio show afforded her for good. Her efforts resulted in her third career; running for a state representative seat. She was 1st elected to serve in the state House of Representatives in 1988 and has been re-elected to office eleven times for the 192nd Legislative District, West Philadelphia. The area she represents encompasses some of Philadelphia's most affluent and poorest residents. It is also home to many Philadelphia institutions including St. Joseph's University, Overbrook High School and Pinn Memorial Baptist Church.

As a State Representative, she has been an instrument of change and a sponsor of legislation on issues such as education, tax relief, economic development, violence prevention and nutrition. Currently she is the chair of the Majority Children and Youth Committee where much time is spent dealing with children and youth issues violence, obesity, education, foster care, and other issues effecting the quality of life of children.

Louise speaking in the State House of Representatives .....

[media=]

Nice one Roburt. Very interesting.

Thanks

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Jimmy Bishop was a 'very busy boy' back in the mid to late 60's in Philly.

He left St Louis Radio Stn KATZ in 1963 and moved back to Philly to work at WDAS there.

Max Leon was the founder, owner and President of radio stn WDAS and Jimmy soon married his daughter, Sonia Leon (she was older than Jimmy).

Soon after, Jimmy started Arctic Records and signed (after an introduction by Weldon McDougal) Barbara Mason to the label (she was only 17 years old). He quickly developed a 'very close' relationship with Barbara and became her manager (she also had a child by him). Before the end of the 60's, his marriage to Sonia Leon had ended and he got spliced to Louis Williams.

So apart from being a top local DJ, running a record label, managing artists and promoting top local shows; he obviously still found plenty of time to pursue an active personal life.

So he married Louis Williams in the late 60s after her recording career by the sounds of it? I often wondered about Lois Lane - thanks for the info, Steve

PS: Think Ady might be right about the record not coming out, I cannot find any trace of it actually existing beyond listings.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Steve, Louise Williams Bishop was born June 27, 1933 & graduated from the American Foundation of Dramatic Arts in 1955 after studying Communications and Radio Broadcasting.

She first worked at WHAT before becoming the host /Gospel programmer for "The Louise Bishop Show" on WDAS-AM.

I've worked out a date when I believe she joined WDAS and this is around 1958.

So she was at WDAS a few years ahead of Jimmy Bishop. Don't know when they started their relationship, got married and then divorced but I guess they got together between the mid 60's and the end of the 60's.

I think they had 4 children together and as Louise was always very religious, I guess they were all conceived whilst she was married to Jimmy ... so I'd say that they had to be spliced for at least 6 to 8 years.

Ady, have you tried contacting her via this e-mail addy ... lwbishop@pahouse.net

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

So he married Louis Williams in the late 60s after her recording career by the sounds of it? I often wondered about Lois Lane - thanks for the info, Steve

PS: Think Ady might be right about the record not coming out, I cannot find any trace of it actually existing beyond listings.

She had a release on B B in 1966 and Phil L A of Soul in 1972 too Steve

Social source share

She had a release on B B in 1966 and Phil L A of Soul in 1972 too Steve

This is interesting, is the BB one the soul singer?

I can't find the Phil La one (and I have pretty much all of them) was it done under a different name or something?

Steve

Social source share

This is interesting, is the BB one the soul singer?

I can't find the Phil La one (and I have pretty much all of them) was it done under a different name or something?

Steve

Whoops, sorry it was North Bay and as its her backed by a choir I'd be pretty sure its the same lass. The B B is more doubtful as the titles are Deck Of Cards and Blues For A Soldier but I can't see a Philly label putting out a record by a different Louis Williams when she was such a well known radio name back then.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!