Fantastic Johnny C

Guest scottie

• Replies 32
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest gordon russell

Hmm, you might be right. Never spun it out in a set. Did it ever get many plays back in the day?

never mind back in the day lol......fit it in now....tune!!! we,re coming to full bottles as a weekender with burnley......have ya got lou rawls or luther van DROSS lol!! can,t wait for the 13th..hear me old mate Neil Toplis....atb tezza

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

"New Love" is a belter and imho by far his best dancer.

£10 at the very most!!

Back in the 70's I used to play it by Johnny Mirage on J-V...same recording, with the instr. on the flip (which I think John Vincent was playing at the time) - saw one in Francis Tee's box t'other week, sadly no way I can afford it now! So it's the Phil-LA 7" or the UK Action Lp for me...

Social source share

Back in the 70's I used to play it by Johnny Mirage on J-V...same recording, with the instr. on the flip (which I think John Vincent was playing at the time) - saw one in Francis Tee's box t'other week, sadly no way I can afford it now! So it's the Phil-LA 7" or the UK Action Lp for me...

Hi Jerry...you'll be pleased to know that I have his 'New Love' on Japanese London...in fact he had three 45s, one 7" EP, and an LP all on Japanese London (all safely filed away!), plus the Kama Sutra 7" on Japanese as well...mind you all are pretty tough, so it doesn't appear that they were big sellers over here!

:thumbup:

post-9555-0-55659500-1340635231_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Just off topic sorry

I to is confused arnt British issues classed as O. V ?

ONLY 60'S AND 70'S RELEASED TUNESI THINK?

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

=========

I GOT THE JOHNNY MIRAGE - GR8 INST VERSION.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hmm, you might be right. Never spun it out in a set. Did it ever get many plays back in the day?

This was played out a lot in the 6t's, well it was at the Dungeon in Nottingham, bit dated for me though now.

Barry

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not getting back on this post sooner chaps.

On further investigation both the Phil La Soul and London releases of Hitch It To The Horse / Cool Broadway were 1968. There was also a DJ release in 1967.

So I guess I could spin it out as OV... given that the UK and US releases were simultaneous it seems.

This is the story that led me to be nervous about spinning the UK release of Hitch It To The Horse...

I was at a do a good while ago, talking to a respected dealer and respected DJ about Al Gardner - Sweet Baby. I'd bought the French Googa Mooga release and stupidly not checked if it was first issue before buying it. :rolleyes: Anyway we got chatting and I said I'd be moving it on as it wasn't original but both said I was being daft, and had every right to play it as it was a legitimate French issue.

So I played it and had two people over the decks as soon as the opening bars belted out... both tutting and shaking heads that it wasn't Sepia.

Which led me to ask if there had been an earlier US release before the British.

Regarding OV - If a record is released in the US and then released on British a year later, surely that makes the British a re-release and not OV? Yeah?? :g:

Cheers

Gaz

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Sorry for not getting back on this post sooner chaps.

On further investigation both the Phil La Soul and London releases of Hitch It To The Horse / Cool Broadway were 1968. There was also a DJ release in 1967.

So I guess I could spin it out as OV... given that the UK and US releases were simultaneous it seems.

This is the story that led me to be nervous about spinning the UK release of Hitch It To The Horse...

I was at a do a good while ago, talking to a respected dealer and respected DJ about Al Gardner - Sweet Baby. I'd bought the French Googa Mooga release and stupidly not checked if it was first issue before buying it. :rolleyes: Anyway we got chatting and I said I'd be moving it on as it wasn't original but both said I was being daft, and had every right to play it as it was a legitimate French issue.

So I played it and had two people over the decks as soon as the opening bars belted out... both tutting and shaking heads that it wasn't Sepia.

Which led me to ask if there had been an earlier US release before the British.

Regarding OV - If a record is released in the US and then released on British a year later, surely that makes the British a re-release and not OV? Yeah?? :g:

Cheers

Gaz

So is Tony coltman I stand acused a northern soul paradox as the amount of people who play the American one instead of the British release confuses the ov stance as I was alway's lead to believe or indeed understand it was a British release originaly.I play British release's in my spot Cajun Hart went down very well last week.for instance so on my last spot did I inovertantly play a non original or n.o.v.? regards a very confused young man.
Social source share

So is Tony coltman I stand acused a northern soul paradox as the amount of people who play the American one instead of the British release confuses the ov stance as I was alway's lead to believe or indeed understand it was a British release originaly.I play British release's in my spot Cajun Hart went down very well last week.for instance so on my last spot did I inovertantly play a non original or n.o.v.? regards a very confused young man.

If it was released on British first, then that makes the Brit release OV in my mind.

But to me, and this is only my opinion, if a record is released on US and British with a good length of time between the releases, I would (rightly or wrongly) class the later release as a re-release. Just my take on things...

Social source share

If it was released on British first, then that makes the Brit release OV in my mind.

But to me, and this is only my opinion, if a record is released on US and British with a good length of time between the releases, I would (rightly or wrongly) class the later release as a re-release. Just my take on things...

But surely a legitimate release is a legitmate release? If a record company releases a record in the states and then releases it over here it's still original and playable as OV. I'm no serious collector and haven't bought stuff for years so I'll happily concede that I'm a prat but surely the above stance is over the top.

Peter

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!