Just How Big Is The Modern Scene?

just how big is the modern scene? please dont take this as me stirring things up. I just dont know, it seems that NS and modern are so divourced now that my knowledge of what goes on modernwise is really limited, so what's going on?, where can I hear it? top venues, variations in the modern scene ect.

Please let not turn this into a NS v Modern debate, though comparisions are fine, it would be also interesting to hear opinions on how the modern crowd cope in attracting younger punters to there respective scenes.

Social source share

Geese, we went to a modern soul do in Hull a couple of weeks ago, mainly because Dave Hulmes Wolverhampton/Starpoint Radio) was DJing and had text me and told me to go!

It was a bit empty when we arrived, and was mostly us old 'uns, but by 10.30 the place was filling up nicely, and at it looked like at least 40% of the punters were under 30!

Apparently they always get a crowd of 150+ and a lot of those are on the younger side.

Dave Hulmes posts links to his Starpoint show and other mixes on Souncloud on his facebook page, well worth a listen if you want to know the sort of stuff that's getting played at Modern events and weekenders at the moment.

Social source share

just how big is the modern scene? please dont take this as me stirring things up. I just dont know, it seems that NS and modern are so divourced now that my knowledge of what goes on modernwise is really limited, so what's going on?, where can I hear it? top venues, variations in the modern scene ect.

Please let not turn this into a NS v Modern debate, though comparisions are fine, it would be also interesting to hear opinions on how the modern crowd cope in attracting younger punters to there respective scenes.

Maybe check out the Caliente in Peterborough, Russ Holley will be able to give you more info, Sam was at the last one, and I really enjoyed it :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i think were do you draw the line with modern and northern

is the carstairs northern or modern

is soul on wax northern or modern

is kenny thomas modern or y2k

is bob sinclair - in all 3

think one of the differences are maybe the clothes worn

bags with lotsa pockets on some northern nites

modern more up market type

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It depends what you call the modern scene. There are so many different factions from the 70s/crossover type of dos to recent releases and even soulful house dos. Either way it's not very big. Having said that, there are plenty of other dos around the country that play similar music but the punters and dj's are totally different and maybe are not even aware of a modern scene. You've only got to go and see a live act like Anthony Hamilton to realise this.

Edited by daved
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It depends what you call the modern scene. There are so many different factions from the 70s/crossover type of dos to recent releases and even soulful house dos. Either it's not very big. Having said that, there are plenty of other dos around the country that play similar music but the punters and dj's are totally different and maybe are not even aware of a modern scene. You've only got to go and see a live act like Anthony Hamilton to realise this.

Do they have an hour of Northern?

Social source share

It's a meaningless question since as well as various shades of "modern", right through to Y2k12 banging house and R&B, it picks up many people who are not on a recognised scene.

One of the strangest things a few years ago was when we organised a Soul 24-7 party. One guy who is not on the "scene" as far as we could tel, said "give me the big downstairs room and I'll fill it up".

Lo and behold us usual suspects had about 60 people in the upstairs room. This other dude had over 250 turn up downstairs, and none of us had ever seen any of them before.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Wouldn't the term ''moving forward'' cover the definition, does it have to include which decades records are being played?

ranting_1.gifranting_1.gifranting_1.gif

Edited by MrC
Social source share

In answer to your post there are quite a few modern nights around this area (East Midlands) and are attracting good numbers, not as big as the big oldies venues by any means but non-the less they are for most getting reasonable numbers.

The problem is what do you consider modern, the following venues in the main play up to date modern

Soul Purpose - Hinckley

A1 Soul - Grantham

Infinity - Newark

Body & Soul - Ilkeston

Mansfield Soul Sessions

SDSY2K - Whatton (nr Bingham)

Junction 31 - (M1)

Soul Underground - Walsall

Soul Kandi - Manchester area?

Vibe - Manchester area?

Sorry if I missed any but someone like Roger can tell you where the other venue's are.

IMO I don't think this is the best place to ask this question because most on here do not attend modern venues (like the ones mentioned above), try EMS for a more broader scope on the modern scene. Also IMO this scene is still more like a underground type of thing and nowhere near a big as the oldies scene.

There does seem to be a fair amount of younger people attending modern nights especially at Soul Purpose.

Hope this helps.

Barry

Edited by Guest
Social source share

i think were do you draw the line with modern and northern

is the carstairs northern or modern

is soul on wax northern or modern

is kenny thomas modern or y2k

is bob sinclair - in all 3

think one of the differences are maybe the clothes worn

bags with lotsa pockets on some northern nites

modern more up market type

Bob sinclair is just plain terrible Keith imo.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

so what's going on?, where can I hear it? top venues, variations in the modern scene ect.

Geese, get yourself off to one of the top Crossover nights in the country, less than 30 mins from where you live and see what it is all about for yourself!

Chris

Sorry Chris, I really will try to make to next one, but for me, and what I meant by modern was uptempo sounds from the 7ts to current releases, crossover (tends) to be lttle easier on the feet. But hey what the hell do I know, that was the point in asking in the first place, what role does crossover play on the modern scene nowdays? Would I hear, say a midtempo, super soulful groove in the same set as some contemporary soulful house tune?

Social source share

It's a meaningless question since as well as various shades of "modern", right through to Y2k12 banging house and R&B, it picks up many people who are not on a recognised scene.

One of the strangest things a few years ago was when we organised a Soul 24-7 party. One guy who is not on the "scene" as far as we could tel, said "give me the big downstairs room and I'll fill it up".

Lo and behold us usual suspects had about 60 people in the upstairs room. This other dude had over 250 turn up downstairs, and none of us had ever seen any of them before.

Interesting, What did he play Steve?

Social source share

Sorry Chris, I really will try to make to next one, but for me, and what I meant by modern was uptempo sounds from the 7ts to current releases, crossover (tends) to be lttle easier on the feet. But hey what the hell do I know, that was the point in asking in the first place, what role does crossover play on the modern scene nowdays? Would I hear, say a midtempo, super soulful groove in the same set as some contemporary soulful house tune?

Crossover and Modern have always been uneasy bed fellows in my opinion and I don't know why they were ever lumped together. The only common ground is that you get some mid tempo 70's soul played at some modern do's and at some crossover do's, but apart from that, there are many more differences than similarities.

Jordi

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Crossover and Modern have always been uneasy bed fellows in my opinion and I don't know why they were ever lumped together. The only common ground is that you get some mid tempo 70's soul played at some modern do's and at some crossover do's, but apart from that, there are many more differences than similarities.

Jordi

I sort of agree Jordi, but then (can of worms time ) depends on an individuals perception of what is a 'Modern Soul Scene' ?, too be honest for me Modern Soul is just that, very current music with a soulful backdrop (not in a literal sense, but i'm sure you understand ) Without trying to split the 'Soul Scene' any further it at times can be difficult, i see nights promoted as MS' see the dj line up and realise it's either mainly 70's/Crossover or it isn't !

For me as a 17/18 year old i can remember listening to Arthur, Sam and Mr Searling at Romeo and Juliets, Sheffield all dayers 1982/83 playing current release (or as near as dammit) soul music, then they called it newies.. It's a shame (for me) that Soul music has become so compartmentalised since my teenage years to such a degree that hardly any of us sing from the same hymn sheet. But that seems to be the nature of the Beast, we all like different styles of this music, some more than others.

Social source share

thats not too suprising to me. There will be loads of people who have DJ'd at house and garage nights in the late 80s early 90s who could probably do that and have been no where near the northern or modern soul scene.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Isn't it time we stopped trying to pin a label on everything and just accept that the last 40 years have given us some great soul music to listen to.

The soul scene in europe is, by and large much more accepting of the differing genres, as a result a lot more young people (mid 20s/ 30s) make up the attendance. Most, don't mind if a big northern tune,is played in the same room as something from Y2k, the prevailing attitude seems to be, as long as it's good what does it matter.

I do agree with your views (re..Pin a label ), but having been to Germany (the biggest European scene outside of the UK ? ) a few times, i do believe the majority of the big events their do rely on the 60's soul scene, i couldn't imagine it being mainly a Modern (sorry ! ) event with a few 60's tunes thrown in and it be as well supported. Just a personal viewpoint by the way, i recall being in Bamberg 2011 and the Friday night the Modern room being rammed, but the Saturday it was very sparse, that was with a brilliant line up too, Butch, Sam, Marc Forrest, Brad Hales etc, etc..think Dave Thorley did the room too, i was shocked because as i said on the Friday it was heaving and just incredible (same rosta of Dj's as well ). But the main room was full throughout...

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Brett,

I understand what you are saying regards Bamberg 2011, I was there , Dave Ripolles played a great set on both the nights that you mention.

My personal view is, at Bamberg, "Alternative Room" rather than "Modern Room" would be a much better description, but really this just emphasises what I was getting at.

I know, speaking with a few people in that room on the Saturday,they were disapointed that the music played wasn't a little more diverse.

As you are aware, and I'm sure will agree, at Bamberg in either room, and, particularly the cafe bar you are likely to hear a much wider range of soul music played and accepted by a younger and less critical audience than at any event in the UK.

When you look at the playlists (Oh no, please don't start that again :sleep3: ) for some of the Latin and also Scandanavian events, the diversification message is even stronger.

I'm not holding my breath on this one but, It would be nice if we in the UK,could get back to the days of attending events where we actually "enjoy" ourselves, listening to both the old and new played alongside each other.

Life really was much simpler back in 1971 :yes:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I love Northern Soul but now prefer the modern scene.I still dj at the Grand Central playing mainly 70s with the odd oldie thrown in and the odd modern sound but I personally need to hear new,uplifting sounds instead of going to the same venues to listen to the same sounds all the time (and I know there are loads of undiscovered oldies out there).To me a modern room is a breath of fresh air with people dancing all night and not just waiting to hear the ones they like before they get off their backsides.We have been to weekenders where friends who are staunch oldies fans have come into the modern room because the atmosphere is much better than "the flat"atmosphere in the main room(their words not mine).As stated in a previous post this isn't a debate or comparison between the scenes just my opinion and you don't find many egos in the modern room either.I'm not sure that I agree with 2 roomed venues(unless it's a weekender)as that is trying to mix two totally seperate scenes and I think there is plenty of room for all genres of our wonderful music scene.Not sure how big the modern scene is but I do believe that the NS scene is slowly dying a death.

I think what's really dawned on me recently is that in all too many nights/ nighters of the northern ilk the focus is on collecting and collectors, or even ego's and egoing, rather than purely the music, its probably not as bad as it was

in the 8ts and 9ts, when nighters were often allnight record fairs for many, but there's still a sizable portion who never dance and seldom listen.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In answer to the question, depends if you are talking about a 'modern' scene playing 'modern soul' that is populated with ex-northern punters (so quite small), people who are more likely to be from the 'soul weekender' scene (bigger), or all the rest of the events that are off each others radars that happen all over the country (tons of them). Or the 4th group of all the rest. Soul music isn't exclusive to people who know and like/liked northern or go on internet forums or attend events advertised on them, i'm assuming the questioner is surely asking about the 1st option on here?

a large number of people I know into the modern side of things have no interest at all in northern, and many actively avoid 60's music altogether as they din't like it and never did. These are people from mid-30's to mid 50's, and they're still going out and they do know their onions. Just not their tomangoes.

regards

Mr Logic :)

I was just asking about the state of play in general and honestly hadnt considered 'the true meaning of modern soul', but its certainly been informative, I'd assumed there was a little more coherance to the scene, if by the sound of it, you can call it a scene, rather than various scenes.

Social source share

I was just asking about the state of play in general and honestly hadnt considered 'the true meaning of modern soul', but its certainly been informative, I'd assumed there was a little more coherance to the scene, if by the sound of it, you can call it a scene, rather than various scenes.

ok, I get you so your anwer really is it is many different scenes around the UK and abroad. If you take all the facets and scenes into account it is big, I get invites on fb to events that pull say hundreds of people regularly but the DJ's and dancers have nothing in common with any modern event discussed on here, apart from some of the music

cheers Sutty

• Helpful 1
Social source share

most events advertised as "Modern Soul" are anything but Modern. The most modern record at some of these events is often one recorded in the 70's, some might stretch to the 80's.

Also, no 'modern soul' night/event I've ever been involved in or DJ'd at would never advertise itself as such. The term "Modern" is just soooooo "Northern"! :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Ref the Modern soul on the'Northern Soul Scene', when was 'The Modern Room' replaced by 'The R'n'B Room'? When I was going out every weekend in the 90's most All-nighters had a modern room, I remember Winsford as I always took a 'break' in there with Gavin Paige and co.

The Modern Rooms have now been replaced with that or an 'alternative' room. I just wonder why as they were 'kicking' if I remember correctly. Maybe it's that there is now more of a 'call' for R'n'B / 'Alternative' which also gives more of a 'licence' to play anything so less Modern is played in these room than before.

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

When was 'The Modern Room' replaced by 'The R'n'B Room'? When I was going out every weekend in the 90's most All-nighters had a modern room, I remember Winsford as I always took a 'break' in there with Gavin Paige and co.

This isn't a dig at R'n'B, it just seems the Modern Rooms have now been replaced with that or an 'alternative' room. I just wonder why as they were 'kicking' if I remember correctly. Maybe it's that there is now more of a 'call' for R'n'B / 'Alternative 'which gives more of a 'licence' so less Modern is played in these room than before.

All the best,

Len.

P.S - Correct me if I'm 'off topic' but I think I am.

No Len, there weren't enough ex northern punters to populate these side rooms, when you can have your own dedicated modern night without the normans. Also the promotors realised they could save money by having a freestyle room for all and sundry, where the only condition is that you don't need to pay the DJs for their services. :yes:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Also, no 'modern soul' night/event I've ever been involved in or DJ'd at would never advertise itself as such. The term "Modern" is just soooooo "Northern"! :lol:

Hi Roger didn't you Dj at these events and also design the flyers.............???.... :wink:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!