The Right To Reply

Different strokes and all that I'm a Soul fan - if I go to an event I go to listen to Soul records I couldn't care less if they cost 10 pence or whatever and lot of good Soul records don't cost another mortage.

But are you though. I mean what are your bounderys of Soul. Would you call Grandmaster flash White lines a Soul record. Mr Fingers what about this love. Barbara McNair You're gonna love. Blaze So Special. Carstairs even?

Social source share

Closest we ever got was Wigan c 1978. :yes:

I remember it.....awful !!! Started going to the Friday Oldies Allniters there then....
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

We've been remarkably well behaved I thought. Robust discussion a few knocks, and a little collateral damage, a few bruises to egos etc. Nothing a bit of cold water won't soothe.

On the old funk boards we'd be wishing each other painful slow deaths in car crashes by now.... :lol: :lol:

This is very genteel banter and discussion Matt.

'cept I just went and melted all my underplayed cheapies on a bonfire in the garden in frustration. :lol:

Social source share

But are you though. I mean what are your bounderys of Soul. Would you call Grandmaster flash White lines a Soul record. Mr Fingers what about this love. Barbara McNair You're gonna love. Blaze So Special. Carstairs even?

I mainly listen to Deep Soul at home but happy to listen to any decent Soul any tempo from any era - without a doubt I prefer what I play myself at home but I do like the social side too. But I can't be bothered to justify myself as a Soul music fan - it's a Soul music site and that's why I post on here and that's about it.

Cheers

Manus

Edited by manus
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Best place for 'em. :P

Yeah throw on all that crap elevator muzak masquerading as modern soul that you like as well Roger. :lol:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

in comparison to some of the so-called new stuff which the dj before already has played and the next non-imaginative dj after will sure play as well (only to show-off he as the 45 too -yawn-).

Hi Marc,

We have an unwritten rule that you only play a tune once a night in most places. If a DJ on before you has played a sound, then you play something else. It's a real pain when you are on late though, ticking things off the playlist :lol:

PS: We were hoping to come over in 2 weeks - but the flights are daft, so we are staying put.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I mainly listen to Deep Soul at home but happy to listen to any decent Soul any tempo from any era - without a doubt I prefer what I play myself at home but I do like the social side too. But I can't be bothered to justify myself as a Soul music fan - it's a Soul music site and that's why I post on here and that's about it.

Cheers

Manus

A suicide 7 fan then :P

Social source share

Hi Marc,

We have an unwritten rule that you only play a tune once a night in most places. If a DJ on before you has played a sound, then you play something else. It's a real pain when you are on late though, ticking things off the playlist laugh.png

PS: We were hoping to come over in 2 weeks - but the flights are daft, so we are staying put.

yes, that "rule" is also known and in use over here...but I sadly had TO witness many situations in which this rule was not followed over here as well as over there. no big deal perhaps and especially not for the punter...but to me a double-yawn factor LOL

happy to hear you thought about making the effort to be part of our weekender but sorry to hear you cant make it now to our little anniversary. from where would you have been flying from as I just had to find flights for other british friends of ours this week which ended up at only 100 EUR incl.return (lufthansa!)

Social source share

The diversity of this thread has been amazing...probably why it's been viewed so much. It's covered a lot of topics on many sections of the overall Soul scene..... What about Early 70's Soulful Funk ??

I must say, early doors at the Burnley "batcave"( courtesy of Phil Kowalski,'s "tenancy" of the venue) I recall Karl Heard, "mastering the art of Funky edged Northern" which actually appealed to me.......my latterday/ interpretation of the majority of 70's Funk numbers played .....is Bland.....unless anyone can convince me otherwise,? :sleep3:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember it.....awful !!! Started going to the Friday Oldies Allniters there then....

The oldies allnighters were the start of the beginning of the end...we went from a couple of coachloads going every saturday or every other saturday, to about 20 of us going on the train, because the rest only went to the oldies allnighters. Yes there were bad records played but 90% were not bad records.

Social source share

The oldies allnighters were the start of the beginning of the end...we went from a couple of coachloads going every saturday or every other saturday, to about 20 of us going on the train, because the rest only went to the oldies allnighters. Yes there were bad records played but 90% were not bad records.

Are those the coaches starting off from Porthcawl then picking on route through the Valleys ?? We had coaches going from Newbury too....but by 78 I preferred Friday Oldies at Wigan.... cause it was'nt so packed, think Saturdays became a bit of a circus as well...& musically started to go down hill. By that time I was also going to St Ives, Yate & other different Allniters & venues that I had'nt previously been to.
Social source share

Are those the coaches starting off from Porthcawl then picking on route through the Valleys ?? We had coaches going from Newbury too....but by 78 I preferred Friday Oldies at Wigan.... cause it was'nt so packed, think Saturdays became a bit of a circus as well...& musically started to go down hill. By that time I was also going to St Ives, Yate & other different Allniters & venues that I had'nt previously been to.

No not exactly LOL Wolverhampton, Wombourne, Stourbridge, Kidderminster, sometimes as far as Evesham. Other times straight from Wolverhampton no pick ups.

I never went to Cleethorpes, St Ives or Yate for the simple fact I couldn't bear missing a night at Wigan and that's the truth.

Social source share

Maybe take the thread back to what it was ??? always free to start a topic on your wigan memories or any other stuff...

I guess people are drawn in by topic titles, i know that i am. . Then you click on the subject and its not about anything to do with that title it gets a touch boring i guess....

I have read all this topic and found it of interest but its wayyyyyyyyy past its sell by date....

Social source share

Maybe take the thread back to what it was ??? always free to start a topic on your wigan memories or any other stuff...

I guess people are drawn in by topic titles, i know that i am. . Then you click on the subject and its not about anything to do with that title it gets a touch boring i guess....

I have read all this topic and found it of interest but its wayyyyyyyyy past its sell by date....

Well the title is "The right to reply" and practically no posts on here are about "the right to reply" so the whole 8 pages have been a waste of time?

Social source share

In response to a post on another thread, I wrote this reply:

Some people are just sh*t scared to tell the truth.....originaal format or dont bother to DJ, I dont care who the f*ck is DJing.

Everything that I ever held dear about this wonderful scene is being eroded, not only that, when you state the obvious you'll beaten into submission by an endless stream of folk defending why apparently its now fine, for some to commit herasy because theyre considered royalty.

You can come on SS/FB/ & any type of media social network you can name & defend this practice until you are blue in the face....you are all fakes who have forgotten what this is all about.

I dont really give a f*ck, I would rather stick pins in my own eyes than pandy to this watered down, sad imitation of an excuse for a rare soul scene....now some will be, calm down, whats the problem, we've done this before blah, blah, blah....but I for one will not let the 'divs' n fakers get away withit......nothing anyone can say or do will make this right within the context of the rare soul scene & I refuse to give in or shut up about it, its what they want.....

Dont give up the dream & do not except anything other than the real deal....we may now be in the minority, but we are in the right & we have right on our side.....even tho on other forums you'll get the snide comments & the ones that will s*ck any old DJ's c*ck just cos they heard em play a great set 35 years ago in some god forsaken Northern town or city....if you aint got the gear dont except the gig......not only that avoid the places that except this fakery, you dont have to except it & you are right not to except....dont be brow beaten into thinking this is right, stand up & demand your right to be given the original format not a cheap immitation....

Roger Williams in reply wrote 'Drama Queen'

Now altho we havnt seen each other for some years, I class Roger as a friend. I know Rogers feelings on such things & I respect them, however Roger writes from the perspective of a Modern Soul fan looking in on the NS Scene, my comments were aimed directly at the Northern scene & have very little do with the Modern scene. I stick by my guns & would add that if you pop over to EMS you may think that the same comment 'Drama Queen' could be applied when he who cannot be named (2) along with others in a left field way, make comment on the previous thread on this subject....its obvious that regardless of what is said on SS it hit a nerve, cos said person obviously feels he should comment, albeit in a round about way. Its a pity that the legend couldnt respond in person on SS.

Please feel free to lock this thread now I have replied.

Many thanks

Russ

Social source share

I am not going to comment on any venues I've not been to Matt. That would be madness - show me a playlist, and I'll comment on that though. :yes:

What I find interesting though is that the DJs who I know have really good records that I'd class as cutting edge and who can also put a northern type set together like Dyson, Dobson, The Dentist, C Steele, A Fenn, Kitch / Dean, D Welding, J McClure, S Green, D Thorley and a few others don't appear to be on too often at all these upfront gigs that exist. By contrast there's a lot of fellas with a box of these sort of "ok / good" known / semi known oldie records doing the rounds week in week out thinking they've got top records. That's my opinion of course and I am sure others will disagree. I realise I am being a bit controversial.

There are also some bloody good general DJs that have strong collections and a great feel, like T Massey, P Lyster, Mick H etc.

As Chalky said the problem is we've become a nation of DJs and too many venues trying to be upfront.

I would say the opposite, not enough venues trying to be upfront !!!
Social source share

I would say the opposite, not enough venues trying to be upfront !!!

Unbelievable Rod.

Firstly you are complaining not enough punters in your gaff. Now you are saying there are not enough venues to cater for not enough punters?

Now I am confused.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Unbelievable Rod.

Firstly you are complaining not enough punters in your gaff. Now you are saying there are not enough venues to cater for not enough punters?

Now I am confused.

I was generalising, there are only 2 venues in our region that could be regarded as upfront...Ghetto Soul (Underplayed) & Soul in the South (Allniter)...that is it for Central & the South Coast !!! The other 50 odd or more Clubs are mainly Classic Oldies, Modern, Handbagger Nites etc. In the bigger picture (I mean nationally too) these sort of events dwarf the upfront venues by 90% which leaves 10% playing stuff outside the Top 500...hopefully you are no longer confused, if you are ?? Get out more lol
Social source share

Well, the above response to a comment I made confirms you cant have a opinion on here, or if you do you're told to shut up !!!!!.

Don't talk rubbish. No one has said you can't have an opinion nor has anyone told you to shut up. You were slagging something off you don't like and by the looks of it have no intention of listening to, all I asked was why moan about it. You should try and quantify your comments rather than simply slag somethng off.

Social source share

Don't talk rubbish. No one has said you can't have an opinion nor has anyone told you to shut up. You were slagging something off you don't like and by the looks of it have no intention of listening to, all I asked was why moan about it. You should try and quantify your comments rather than simply slag somethng off.

Sorry Dude, your understanding of tthe English language is onecv of total ignorance !!!!.

I said I did'nt like Modern, I did'nt say it was a load of shite, IF I'd said it was a load of shite then I'd be slagging it off, Yuo told me to stop moaning, to me, and I would ANYONE with a command of the English language that contitutes telling someone to shut up. Last, but not least, I said I would'nt want to listen to it all night, and I would'nt, and I have more than a few Modern cuts in my collection, people like Len, Kimbo and Blueten would back on that comment, I've got real gems that to the best of my knowledge have never been played out.

So before you go accusng people of ''slagging'' things off read what they've said instead of jumping on your high horse.....end of :sleep3:

Social source share

What I originally said was :-

Actually I can, BUT I choose to not be able to as I dont particularly like Modern Soul, at least not ALL bloody night, why, because it does not go at 100 mph.

Yes your reply was why moan about it, finally, as above, accusing me of slagging modern soul off !!!!!

Dude, your understanding of the English language is pretty abysmal :-

I said I would'nt listen to Modern allnight, I did'nt say it was a load of shite, IF I'd said it was a load of shite then I'd be slagging it off!!!!

You've told me to stop moaning, to me, and ANYONE with a command of the English language that contitutes telling someone to shut up, as far as I'm concerned I cant voice my opinion, if I am you would not have made the comment.

Last, but not least, I said I would'nt want to listen Mod Soul all night, and I would'nt, however I have more than a few Modern cuts in my collection, people like Len, Kimbo and Blueten would back that comment, in fact I've got real gems that to the best of my knowledge have never been played out, bought because I liked them and listen to them at home.

So before you go accusng people of ''slagging'' things off read what they've said instead of jumping on your high horse.....end of

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I must say, early doors at the Burnley "batcave"( courtesy of Phil Kowalski,'s "tenancy" of the venue) I recall Karl Heard, "mastering the art of Funky edged Northern" which actually appealed to me.......my latterday/ interpretation of the majority of 70's Funk numbers played .....is Bland.....unless anyone can convince me otherwise,? :sleep3:

Spot on wilxy........a lot think karls mastery of FUNK EDGED was open door for durge funk which just drags the night down...thats why it was karl that mastered it, because HE knew where the line was and was also able to blend it with a more traditional dance sound (without being boring).......while those that play the durgy stuff have convinced themselves it,s great music just because it,s new to their ears and that we are all fools because we also should like it for the same reason.......however many have made that mistake ie "it,s new,cause we're playing it and it,s cutting edge...so therefore you MUST like it.... WRONG!!!!.....many a venue has paid the price with that little ethos

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Sorry Dude, your understanding of tthe English language is onecv of total ignorance !!!!.

I said I did'nt like Modern, I did'nt say it was a load of shite, IF I'd said it was a load of shite then I'd be slagging it off, Yuo told me to stop moaning, to me, and I would ANYONE with a command of the English language that contitutes telling someone to shut up. Last, but not least, I said I would'nt want to listen to it all night, and I would'nt, and I have more than a few Modern cuts in my collection, people like Len, Kimbo and Blueten would back on that comment, I've got real gems that to the best of my knowledge have never been played out.

So before you go accusng people of ''slagging'' things off read what they've said instead of jumping on your high horse.....end of :sleep3:

Practice what you preach, I didn't tell you to stop moaning, read it again, I asked "why moan about it then". There is a difference and with your knowledge of the English language should be able to understand that. And I haven't mentioned anywhere to the bet of my knowlegde that you said sh*te. And I haven't jumped on any high horse. If you wish to carry this on then do so via PM.

Social source share

Great.Back on here and nothing changes.8 pages of f-all.The thread doesn't want closing,it wants burying.

Then go and read something else Kev or start a topic you feel is more worthy. No one is forcing you to read this and plenty of members have enjoyed the debate even if it has all been said before. Same for anyone else, it is a discussion forum so either join in or keep out.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Then go and read something else Kev or start a topic you feel is more worthy. No one is forcing you to read this and plenty of members have enjoyed the debate even if it has all been said before. Same for anyone else, it is a discussion forum so either join in or keep out.

I'll read something else then Chalky.

Social source share

I was generalising, there are only 2 venues in our region that could be regarded as upfront...Ghetto Soul (Underplayed) & Soul in the South (Allniter)...that is it for Central & the South Coast !!! The other 50 odd or more Clubs are mainly Classic Oldies, Modern, Handbagger Nites etc. In the bigger picture (I mean nationally too) these sort of events dwarf the upfront venues by 90% which leaves 10% playing stuff outside the Top 500...hopefully you are no longer confused, if you are ?? Get out more lol

I don't wish to come across as rude Rod, but i would visit your clubs if I thought they were really upfront and going to offer me a good night out with interesting music. You've put your clubs playlist out there and you have to live or die with that. I guess others vote with their feet.

I do kind of understand your frustration at poor attendances, but as Roger said the vast majority out there just want their oldies and a good night out. The number of people actually wanting to hear something different is very small in the scheme of things. So to attract them, the gig has to have something special.

As I said earlier it seems now that everyone has a box of underplayed oldies / semi knowns, and there is a second room just about everywhere, more often than not heavily 'overstaffed' often with "freebie wannabee" types (to be brutal about it !!), and more often than not, NOT actually playing great records that make you stand up and pay attention. :thumbsup:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

I haven't been able to get on line much lag day or so, what is this topic about? I don't think the topic kows where it is going nor those posting in it. Is this what I have to look forward to later on when catching up?

Is this topic serving any purpose now? I certainly can't see any?

We had the whole Colin Curtis playing CD's when it happened at the Blackpool event. Do we really need all this again and again? It is the same arguments from pretty much the same people and one that will never get resolved simply because some care about the format and some couldn't give a sh*t.

I'm am not saying "not talk about it". This argument over Colin Curtis was done a few weeks ago, a whole lengthy topic.

This whole argument about OVO, reissues, cds, downloads has been discussed countless times, a quick search of the forum will verify that. The outcome is always the same and the argument is always the same. Nothing different what so ever is different in this topic to the don't know how many before it. There is never any outcome or resolution to the original only vs. boots/reissue debates, it is always split between those who care and those who don't.

Maybe those who just read have a different opinion, an opinion that could be of value to the "discussion"?

And from a moderators point of view the topic seems to have little direction with too much off topic from the same usual suspects. There seems to be little engagement in discussion for the last couple of pages or so.

Great.Back on here and nothing changes.8 pages of f-all.The thread doesn't want closing,it wants burying.

First four quotes are from you Chalky, so I don't see how Kev's is very much different? Pretentious nonsense is how I'd describe the thread, I note that once again, there are very few real oldies fans taking part, could be they may feel out of their depth, but most likely they're out enjoying themselves to music they like.

Winnie :)

Social source share

I don't wish to come across as rude Rod, but i would visit your clubs if I thought they were really upfront and going to offer me a good night out with interesting music. You've put your clubs playlist out there and you have to live or die with that. I guess others vote with their feet.

I do kind of understand your frustration at poor attendances, but as Roger said the vast majority out there just want their oldies and a good night out. The number of people actually wanting to hear something different is very small in the scheme of things. So to attract them, the gig has to have something special.

As I said earlier it seems now that everyone has a box of underplayed oldies / semi knowns, and there is a second room just about everywhere, more often than not heavily 'overstaffed' often with "freebie wannabee" types (to be brutal about it !!), and more often than not, NOT actually playing great records that make you stand up and pay attention. :thumbsup:

But the playlist was only about 20 odd records, the Allnighter goes for 10 hours...many tunes played throughout the nite were cover ups & the dj's wanted them to stay that way...I also did'nt say who the dj's were but you would probably recognise some of the names I would have thought. I'll give you a list of a few that have dj'd for us in the past 2 years Ie: Karl Heard, Des Parker, Pat Bleasdale, Killa, Dave Abbott, John Weston, Adam Topping, Dr Pickles, Chris Latham etc etc etc.....You may have heard of them, you may not but I'm sure many others on this thread would !!! The thing I would never swap where I spend my weekends for any venue who plays the same records over & over again...I'm happy with my life & what I do socially, many are not. I have many friends on the Rare Soul Scene in the Midlands & Up North...I don't come to conclusions about venues I've never been to or records I assume get played... I only know what I do & I could'nt give a monkey's Aunt what you think is Upfront to be honest as it seems to me all you & Roger have done is wined up people on purpose throughout this thread with stupid chatter & in judgement of everyone else...you both sound very sad people & the best advice is to get yourselves involved with something you really enjoy instead of picking holes in everyone else...you bore me, sorry !!!
Social source share

Guest rasfoz

Hi Dave,

Horses for courses. London is a complete mish mash of scenes, sub cultures, mutual DJ back-scratching et al. There is so much on, there isn't to use Phil's expression a "focal point venue" at all - just various micro-scenes with some limited crossover of DJs and punters. There are loads of venues most people have never been to, and always a new one starting up somewhere with some sub-set or other. I personally am not familiar with some of the younger gigs like the newish thing at the Boston Arms or the gig that Wiggy was championing in EC1 - never heard of it before. Then again loking at the playlists, I'm not going to be going either. Last "new" gig I went to was Marco's when Butch was on which was very good.

Contrast that with someone who lives say in Devon, Aberdeen or Norfolk - they are lucky if they have one venue a quarter to go to within reasonable (1-2 hour) distance.

So I guess what I am saying is the scene fragmented totally into a range of clubs, all of which will have their day and inevitably fade out over time.

All of which of course is a million miles away from the topic of this thread.....

There are probably a few examples of places where the scene is small, South West, Scotland like Steve mentions, maybe Anglia. But large parts of the country it is like you say mental! Take a look at the calendar for Notts or South Yorkshire!

This much is true with no disrespect to some of the regular nights that are local to me there are four or five maybe tops, as i am as far east in this fair country as you can go, the only local venue which is worth a visit in my opinion without wanting to knock anyones elses night for whatever reason, is Mark Chamberlians backstreet soul club events, as the policy is ovo & yes these people still attened niters, but its the only place which sticks to the ethos & ideals of what the thread was about. Otherthan that its 130 miles to the 100 club as the closest venue of any worth. I couldnt comment on modern nights as i dont really know enough about modern to form that kind of opinion. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Oh dear!

Look Rod if you don't want feedback suggest you don't put your club up on a pedestal with a selection of sounds, then get all upset when you don't happen to like the feedback. No one said the records were bad did they? I wish you well with your club but you were the guy saying you only get 50 in and how disappointed you are with that, not me. I've long ago come to the conclusion that only a minority want to hear new music, been all over the place to half filled venues etc. come away wondering where all the people are, and sometimes disappointed by the sounds.

I actually agree with you about oldies venues - the odd one occasionally is fun, but generally I don't go to them. And you obviously don't know me very well cos I think I do know the people you have listed, as well as Russ. I am also very happy with my lot in life thanks, and by the way also very happy with the records I have. :thumbsup:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

To Steve G & Roger - You've answered your own questions to me in not knowing any of those dj's...you obviously don't know that much about the Rare Soul Allniter Scene today ...stick to the Modern Soul Scene, you obviously know more about that !!! Our Allniters are in Bournemouth anyway...if you knew anything about that area, you would know why our attendances have dropped from 250+ to 50-60...thanks for your concern tho & it is a number of reasons many of which are outside of what you've suggested....I'm off this thread now so...enjoy yourselves what ever you do socially, each to his own for me now...CHEERS !!!

Social source share

Rod, I said I do know em. Know most of em personally and a couple by reputation / heard em out etc.

So don't make things up it does you a dis-service!

And what's this crap about "stick to the modern scene"? Fraid you are showing your ignorance of the rare soul scene here cos if you knew that much you'd know I can and do play a 60s set and also collect 60s. Please do some homework.

Also went back over your posts cos I was worried I might just be being a bit harsh on you, cos you are obviously upset.

So anyway went back after you posted your 32 sounds from your club. You then replied to your own post not once but three times with lines like "Tempted?"...then ."Anyone interested?" and then "I might as well play oldies then"....No one replied and so I give you some feedback saying they were a mix of fair / good and pretty much known sounds.

And then this stuff?

Cheers!

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Oh dear!

Look Rod if you don't want feedback suggest you don't put your club up on a pedestal with a selection of sounds, then get all upset when you don't happen to like the feedback. No one said the records were bad did they? I wish you well with your club but you were the guy saying you only get 50 in and how disappointed you are with that, not me. I've long ago come to the conclusion that only a minority want to hear new music, been all over the place to half filled venues etc. come away wondering where all the people are, and sometimes disappointed by the sounds.

I actually agree with you about oldies venues - the odd one occasionally is fun, but generally I don't go to them. And you obviously don't know me very well cos I think I do know the people you have listed, as well as Russ. I am also very happy with my lot in life thanks, and by the way also very happy with the records I have. :thumbsup:

I think were typing at the same time...Sorry but I think you finished before me, never mind...you know roughly what I mean !!!
Social source share

I was generalising, there are only 2 venues in our region that could be regarded as upfront...Ghetto Soul (Underplayed) & Soul in the South (Allniter)...that is it for Central & the South Coast !!! The other 50 odd or more Clubs are mainly Classic Oldies, Modern, Handbagger Nites etc. In the bigger picture (I mean nationally too) these sort of events dwarf the upfront venues by 90% which leaves 10% playing stuff outside the Top 500...hopefully you are no longer confused ??

Social source share

Think I owe Steve G an apology...Sorry Steve, I think I should leave this thread as I'm obviously getting mixed up with who's been saying what ?? Hardly surprising really with so many different views, slaggings & a general mish-mash of unreasonable statements as well as many very good ones too, of course. I think it's done my head in a bit lol...anyway mite see you around sometime, you never know ??

My last comment I think !!!

Kind regards

Rod

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!