Elbie Parker - Vinyl Or Styrene

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny Mack

Gary,

The Elbie Parker is Veep 1246 which puts it in the run with both label designs ie full faced Octagonal and Small Octagonal logo.

To the best of my recollection all demos and issues are on Styrene and carry Bell Sound stamps.

By far the rarest format on Elbie is the full Octagonal face design.

On the small logo design, the issue is much harder to find than the demo.

A bit of background - the label was formed in late 1964 and all releases V-1200 to V-1230 (ie thro August 1966) were on the Large Octagonal Design label.

V-1231 thro V-1247 ( August and September 1966) had releases on both the Large and the Small Oct logo Design label with the exception of V-1239 thro V-1245 which were all Little Anthony & Imperials releases on the Small Oct Design. These Little Anthony 45's were all leased from Don Costa's DCP label and were released in September 1966.

The run V-1248 (October 1966) thro V-1306 (the last release on the label, early 69 ?) are all on the Small Oct logo label. This run included four (4) releases on the Veep Gospel Series (V-1299 thro V-1302) which all had a slightly different label design.

There are a few numbers which have no confirmed releases within the runs. V-1296, the Don Varner 45, is perhaps the most topical - it was supposedly slated for release but voided December 18, 1968 and to this date its existence remains unproven.

Regards

John

Thanks lads.

Were all label variations pressed at the same time at same plant? Or are the different labels extra production runs at later dates?

Is there a definitive 'first issue' that I should be looking for?

Cheers

Gaz

Edited by Johnny Mack
Social source share

As ever. Soul Source is the font of all knowledge. Thanks for info lads. Much appreciated

Sad but true, I hadnt heard it until I played my Wilton 17th Anniversary CD and put it on my want list there and then.

Has it had heavy plays?

Was hammered at one point I think.

It's proper northern!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert