Photogrpahy At Northern Soul Events

Guest bill storey

Guest dundeedavie

I'd be surprised if it was a secret, the photo was maybe the proof needed? They should behave anyway :lol:

possibly yeah, i never really delved too deep into the ins and outs :D

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I don't know if this is a common problem but I knew someone who was absolutely paranoid about having her photo taken.

We were at a function once and a photographer started snapping random photos and she virtually went into mental melt-down.

It was pre-digital days so the photographer couldn't even show that he had deleted the ones with her in.

Very scary scene it was!!

MB

Social source share

Yeah, but surely that's only if they realise they've been photographed?

What are your rights if you're in a photo that gets widely distributed and you didn't even know about it? Let's say that for personal reasons or security reasons or privacy reasons you'd rather that people didn't have a record of where you've been? If an unexpected photo of you gets distributed on the internet, then isn't that an invasion of your personal privacy? I know many people disable 'tracking' apps on mobiles for similar reasons.

Or, if I came across a brilliant photo and bought it from the agency or photographer for commercial use would I still need sign-offs from the people in the picture? Which would mean tracing each and every prominent person in the photo which would be a pain in the ass.

I'm obviously playing devil's advocate here but I really don't know what the law is and most lawyers I know don't either......... :lol:

Ian D :D

Ian if its for editorial use, then if your in there incidentally its really at the discretion of the Photographer / Medium its appeared in, and I mentioned earlier the various factors with regard to this, if its commercial, you need model release if your seen clearly, obviously you must be fully recognizable within the frame. So in answer to your question about tracing all recognizable people for commercial use, you would have to, and if you could not find them, these days editorial clients or the press would likely do some mac work to loose the person/s, or disclaim.

I've had instances where incidental people have come forward, and we offered to pull the picture for future syndication, the image in question was at a Rave do at Shoom, and was licensed into a 3 pt series for Ch4 by Flame production called 'Pump up the Volume' all this chap eally wanted was cash and I ended up being pretty heavily threatened in the office by one guy, not nice...

A happy related story... I worked for an agency called PYMCA long time ago, and I cleared images taken at the 100 club and various other soul nighters / weekenders for commercial use within Virgin Mega stores through out London. One very recognizable image was a certain person below, I wont mention his name; anyhow I knew him and approached him to sign a release form at the 100 club one night, for which my client paid a very nice 4 figure sum, he could not believe it, that much for doing, uuurrrr nothing.. laughs... and the picture since then has been on all sorts of places, CD's god knows what else... a happy ending, and I think one of the best images I've seen taken at a soul do... this is what its all about!!!

Mal.C

post-2025-0-36698800-1343043934_thumb.jp

Edited by Mal.C.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Soul Glo

I don't mind having a photo, it's once they're put on facebook and you're exposed to the world looking like a sweaty moonpig.

Social source share

I think the best photos are the one's people don't know you are taking , to capture a natural emotion is one of the best images you can capture . Also I find if the person you are taking the picture of knows you and they trust you it helps , you can see it in the way they look at the camera . Most the pictures I take are posed for , the best ones that I have produced are the instances where they have not been aware of it , and those I can count on one hand :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest peter burke

"All the fun of a night out is slowly being drained by people continually harping on that you can't do this that or other or play this that or other."

Too bloody true Chalky.

Pete

Social source share

Guest lambrettanik

Ian if its for editorial use, then if your in there incidentally its really at the discretion of the Photographer / Medium its appeared in, and I mentioned earlier the various factors with regard to this, if its commercial, you need model release if your seen clearly, obviously you must be fully recognizable within the frame. So in answer to your question about tracing all recognizable people for commercial use, you would have to, and if you could not find them, these days editorial clients or the press would likely do some mac work to loose the person/s, or disclaim.

I've had instances where incidental people have come forward, and we offered to pull the picture for future syndication, the image in question was at a Rave do at Shoom, and was licensed into a 3 pt series for Ch4 by Flame production called 'Pump up the Volume' all this chap eally wanted was cash and I ended up being pretty heavily threatened in the office by one guy, not nice...

A happy related story... I worked for an agency called PYMCA long time ago, and I cleared images taken at the 100 club and various other soul nighters / weekenders for commercial use within Virgin Mega stores through out London. One very recognizable image was a certain person below, I wont mention his name; anyhow I knew him and approached him to sign a release form at the 100 club one night, for which my client paid a very nice 4 figure sum, he could not believe it, that much for doing, uuurrrr nothing.. laughs... and the picture since then has been on all sorts of places, CD's god knows what else... a happy ending, and I think one of the best images I've seen taken at a soul do... this is what its all about!!!

Mal.C

i was there when this iconic pic was taken,and as i recall it was taken at kings hall at stoke by a guy called jonas unger,he also took one of me and the images were used in manifesto magazine in a centre page spread Edited by lambrettanik
Social source share

i was there when this iconic pic was taken,and as i recall it was taken at kings hall at stoke by a guy called jonas unger,he also took one of me and the images were used in manifesto magazine in a centre page spread

that's right, I used to rep some of Jonas's material at PYMCA back in 2000/1, strange cause he always told me it was Sean at the 100 club..but hey.

Sean's face was a peach, initially he was WTF are you on about, then I mentioned how much my clients might pay... happy days..

Mal

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Guest Krissii

What if an old wigan photo is in a book about wigan and says (i think it says) "with permission" and the photo takers name ? It has 3 people in it , one has since passed away RIP but other 2 are still on scene and so is person who took the photo (at wigan and has the original) and didnt give permission , wasnt asked . Whats that about ?

Social source share

What if an old wigan photo is in a book about wigan and says (i think it says) "with permission" and the photo takers name ? It has 3 people in it , one has since passed away RIP but other 2 are still on scene and so is person who took the photo (at wigan and has the original) and didnt give permission , wasnt asked . Whats that about ?

Hypothetically speaking, if the owner of the photo did not give their permission for it to be reproduced in the book then they should have taken legal advice or at the very least made contact with the author and publisher to discuss the following options:

a) have the photo removed from future editions of the book, and/or

b) negotiate a fee for the prior use of it

c) negotiate a fee for future usage of the image

If the author & publisher refuse to discuss 'b' and/or 'c', refer to 'a' - and a solicitor.

However, if you're talking about a book that was printed some years ago and the copyright owner of the photo has failed to act during that period of time - and knew the image was being used - it is unlikely that any claims will be listened to.

However, if the image owner were to learn that the book might be reprinted, then they should make contact with the publisher/author and raise the three points mentioned...

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lambrettanik

that's right, I used to rep some of Jonas's material at PYMCA back in 2000/1, strange cause he always told me it was Sean at the 100 club..but hey.

Sean's face was a peach, initially he was WTF are you on about, then I mentioned how much my clients might pay... happy days..

Mal

do you have any contact info for jonas?
Social source share

I am all for the odd picture at Soul Events, we all like to keep a record of great nights and friends but ....

Recently I have seen a massive surge in the amount of Cameras ( and 'professional photographers' ) appearing at Soul Events all over the place. They are becoming very intrusive and their ENORMOUS flash guns shooting off all over the Halls lighting everything up. I suffer somewhat with bright lights and strobes etc as I am photphobic so it is on a selfish note I raise this, but despite that I am seeing quite a few of my friends getting slightly perturbed by it.

We left an event early this week because of this and it is become endemic of most places.

We all know about Coops and Martyn Johnson and accept those 2 as their work is exemplary but do we really need it every minute of every night. Its bad enough that all Mobile Phones now come blessed with descent Cameras without all the budding the David Baileys. This is not pointed at the occasional photographer taking piccys of their mates by the way.

Bad eggs on my part ?? Perhaps -

Discuss !!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I am all for the odd picture at Soul Events, we all like to keep a record of great nights and friends but ....

Recently I have seen a massive surge in the amount of Cameras ( and 'professional photographers' ) appearing at Soul Events all over the place. They are becoming very intrusive and their ENORMOUS flash guns shooting off all over the Halls lighting everything up. I suffer somewhat with bright lights and strobes etc as I am photphobic so it is on a selfish note I raise this, but despite that I am seeing quite a few of my friends getting slightly perturbed by it.

We left an event early this week because of this and it is become endemic of most places.

We all know about Coops and Martyn Johnson and accept those 2 as their work is exemplary but do we really need it every minute of every night. Its bad enough that all Mobile Phones now come blessed with descent Cameras without all the budding the David Baileys. This is not pointed at the occasional photographer taking piccys of their mates by the way.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry about that. Last night tipped me over. I will check it out and comment on it.

Thanks for the heads up

Terry

Looks to me like its the same few snappers in Fancy dress, as you say Coops is a master photographer tho :yes:

Bazza :shades::hatsoff2:

Edited by Bazza
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

As i think someone mentioned before I can understand back in the day when it was an underground scene, something new and mysterious...... but now?

Social source share

Discuss !!

Well said Tezza, we have felt this way for a long while now. The other weekend at both the Friday and Saturday venues there was at least four different people going round taking photos, very often too the person taking the photos just walks round the room and then stands smack in front of you taking photos, just makes you want to shove the camera where the sun don't shine!
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I had the pleasure of going to a photgraphic exhibition last weekend in Lythem St Annes and it did cross my mind watching two elderly people in a room looking at pictures from their youth on a video screen , the smiles on thier faces showed much pleasure, obviously they could identify a memory with the images that had been selected for show.

How lovely it would be to one day see a Soulphoto exhibition

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well been keeping a watchful eye on this thread as i take photo's of the venues we attend.Also from the old adage "if the cap fits wear it" it seems to fit quite snug,i was at the event Tezza relates to and hope i wasn't the cause of his distress and if so i apologies.Also i always wear baggies and vests (to some fancy dress) but that is my choice of dress and that debate has been covered many times on here.In my defense i would like to say i always ask permission if i can take someones photo unless it is a floor shot where there are quite a few dancing,if someone says no i don't take it.Have given people who i have taken pics of that photo of them,asked frequently to take a pic of someone at a venue and in my profile there are many likes of photo's i have put in gallery.

Coops and Martyn Johnson take wonderful soul pics and i always look and enjoy them,but they had to start somewhere and i hope that i have cleared my name of one of those irritant photographers but to someone who wants everyone to enjoy themselves and capture that in a photo.

Alan.

Social source share

Well been keeping a watchful eye on this thread as i take photo's of the venues we attend.Also from the old adage "if the cap fits wear it" it seems to fit quite snug,i was at the event Tezza relates to and hope i wasn't the cause of his distress and if so i apologies.Also i always wear baggies and vests (to some fancy dress) but that is my choice of dress and that debate has been covered many times on here.In my defense i would like to say i always ask permission if i can take someones photo unless it is a floor shot where there are quite a few dancing,if someone says no i don't take it.Have given people who i have taken pics of that photo of them,asked frequently to take a pic of someone at a venue and in my profile there are many likes of photo's i have put in gallery.

Coops and Martyn Johnson take wonderful soul pics and i always look and enjoy them,but they had to start somewhere and i hope that i have cleared my name of one of those irritant photographers but to someone who wants everyone to enjoy themselves and capture that in a photo.

Alan.

Hi Alan,

Quite the contrary. You have the good manners to request a picture and they are of the highest standard. You also have the descency to offer copies to the Subjects at the following event FOC. One particular photographer apparently charges for any copies you may request. I suppose it costs to produce them but ...

Don't mind the odd one or two but all night long.

As I said, it was on a selfish note I brought it up because of my 'condition' ( bad enough I'm a Ginna without this as well !! ). The one this weekend had a repeat Flash that strobed for 10 - 15 secs taking numerous pictures to capture that perfect moment but it was like being at a Firework display !! Bit of overkill me thinks but thats my personal opinion. I have no problem with the people taking the pictures, a nicer set of people you couldn't wish to meet and I suppose they take great pride in their work. I like the rooms to be dark, not bothered about watching the 'good dancers', its all about me, I want to loose myself in the Music and the moment.

As I said, bad eggs on my part as it is painful for me personally. Sorry, no intention to offend.

Keep up the good work Alan

Tezza XXX

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I've invited a good friend of mine down to our event a few times to take some snaps, and yes they do end up on the web (not on a designated website, just social network stuff).

She's always very courteous when taking the pictures and tries to remain stealth. She once did make the mistake of bringing the wrong flash, which was a bit bright to say the least, so we kept the shots to the lighter areas of the venue and eventually abandoned things on that night.

Thing is, if done properly (which the original poster seems to do) then the photo's can be a very powerful thing.

The photographer i use is into soul music; not massively, but likes it, mainly due to her liking for the scooter scene. She's got a great nack of taking fantastic natuaral shots whether that be dancers, people talking, natural observers, or just a cheeky laugh at a joke. Often the photos feature people well dressed but to be honest, i just trust her to come up with great shots of all people in the room that 'fit'..................and when i say that, i mean fit with the ethos of the event. Having a good time, capturing the atmosphere etc. It aint a fashion parade, and it aint just about snapping the young, or good looking. I give her a brief, she follows it applying her own etiquette.

She also does it in fits and starts, as she likes to enjoy the night and music too!!

The law itself has been explained on here by some experts (thankfully i've got Mr Buckley on my side for that!!) but i think a general common courtesy approach and trying not to intrude is the way forward, and will actually lead to better shots in the process.

Edited by LilJimmyCrank
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Alan.

Really respect your honesty, humility to Terry and balls to put up that post, i'm sure you no you get a bit of stick on here about your photo's and dress sense,

however, you come across as a really nice guy and i'm sure it's just water off a ducks back.

After all, It's just banter and alot of people on here take it far too serious.

I may not agree with your take on Soul but keep on keeping on, as I admire your honesty and you staying true to yourself in your beliefs.

atb

dekka :thumbsup:

Edited by dekka
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

there are three people on this wonderful scene of ours who have asked me not to photograph them, when ever i see them i let them know i'm there and assure them i won't photograph them, this i hope helps them not to worry and enjoy the event. if their image accidently gets in the background of a shot i will burn it out.

i was asked to take some photos at an east midlands event when a lady came up to me and told me her husband had epilepsy and could i not take photos. i said to her that at three stages in the evening i will be taking photos for about two records each stage but i would warn her first so her husband could leave the area.... sorted, although the next time when i saw them at a venue and asked for the same arrangements she said, no worries, he's cured??????

at the stafford celebratory 'nighter a couple of years ago a woman came up to me and insisted she looked through the images on my camera and deleting any with her on.

i politely told her that i would ensure no image of her would be published anywhere. she still thought she had a right to look through my images on my camera until i politely told her she had not got the right and if she tried to take my camera from me that would be assault also that i had the permission of the promoters. the upshot is.... her images didn't get published because i respect ALL individuals' rights to ASK for them not to be published whether they are rude pissed arrogant women at a stafford re-union or any mild mannered polite person at a.n.other event.

all a person has to do is ask and i will make sure they are NOT photographed or, if in the background NOT published.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

there are three people on this wonderful scene of ours who have asked me not to photograph them, when ever i see them i let them know i'm there and assure them i won't photograph them, this i hope helps them not to worry and enjoy the event. if their image accidently gets in the background of a shot i will burn it out.

i was asked to take some photos at an east midlands event when a lady came up to me and told me her husband had epilepsy and could i not take photos. i said to her that at three stages in the evening i will be taking photos for about two records each stage but i would warn her first so her husband could leave the area.... sorted, although the next time when i saw them at a venue and asked for the same arrangements she said, no worries, he's cured??????

at the stafford celebratory 'nighter a couple of years ago a woman came up to me and insisted she looked through the images on my camera and deleting any with her on.

i politely told her that i would ensure no image of her would be published anywhere. she still thought she had a right to look through my images on my camera until i politely told her she had not got the right and if she tried to take my camera from me that would be assault also that i had the permission of the promoters. the upshot is.... her images didn't get published because i respect ALL individuals' rights to ASK for them not to be published whether they are rude pissed arrogant women at a stafford re-union or any mild mannered polite person at a.n.other event.

all a person has to do is ask and i will make sure they are NOT photographed or, if in the background NOT published.

Cured !! Have you got thier address ??

As always Coops, you are a gent. I recall asking you once not to take too many in my vicinity to which you duley obligued.

Its the irreverent Clickers and Flashers that have popped up. New technology makes it a little easier to take good quality/resolution pictures, its the framing etc that needs extra work but until then they take a hundred pictures hopng that one will be THE Picture.

As I said, I like the resulting pictures but as I suffer its sometimes not worth it for me - Selfish but honest.

Love your work my friend XXX

• Helpful 1
Social source share

see my earlier post ! Why should we have to ask ? I will make a sign lol lol. :)

because we ALL have the right to take photographs in public areas and if i didn't want mine taken i'd ask the photographer, i wouldn't think the world was orbiting around my ego and expect every fooker with a camera to know what i wanted or didn't want! just saying

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A couple of people complained as I was taking photographs, one gentleman asked me to wipe his photograph which I did no problem I always respect the wishes of individuals. Another lady asked me to remove her photograph and any shots of the dance floor in which she may have appeared, also she stated to me that I was breaking the law by taking photographs of people.

Unbelievable! I think these folk are in danger of disappearing up their own backsides with delusions of their own self importance!

You're not Pete Doherty or Naomi Campbell, get a grip ffs!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Unbelievable! I think these folk are in danger of disappearing up their own backsides with delusions of their own self importance!

You're not Pete Doherty or Naomi Campbell, get a grip ffs!

I don't think it's self-importance because let's face it, a large proportion of the scene haven't exactly aged well have they, so they're not going to want their road-map grids splashed all over the internet, especially when the photos are good quality, so really it's not surprising people ask for their photos not to be put up is it?

Social source share

I don't think it's self-importance because let's face it, a large proportion of the scene haven't exactly aged well have they, so they're not going to want their road-map grids splashed all over the internet, especially when the photos are good quality, so really it's not surprising people ask for their photos not to be put up is it?

It's not the end of the world, but to my mind it's the music that draws me there. it's the music that makes me dance. I care not a fig if photos are taken and I'm in them or not.

Only people who would be bothered to look at these kind of pics on the internet are our people. So a heavy-set follically challenged geezer is viewing pics of a heavy-set follically challenged geezer dancing - so what?!

Much ado about nothing in my very honest..

• Helpful 2
Social source share

because we ALL have the right to take photographs in public areas and if i didn't want mine taken i'd ask the photographer, i wouldn't think the world was orbiting around my ego and expect every fooker with a camera to know what i wanted or didn't want! just saying

But the point is that inside a club is not a public area. Clubs are private facilities owned by individuals or organisations. As I stated earlier, at the very least, photographers need the permission of venue management before snapping away. Alternatively, management should advise patrons that a photographer is in the house.

People are entitled to their privacy. What we have here is a situation where people should be able to opt-in to having their photos taken, not opt-out. The photographer should get permission from people first - people should not be put into a situation where they have to ask to not be photographed.

There is a big distinction between people taking snapshots to show friends and a photographer who is taking a professional approach to their work and displaying images of people in a professional context.

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

But the point is that inside a club is not a public area. Clubs are private facilities owned by individuals or organisations. As I stated earlier, at the very least, photographers need the permission of venue management before snapping away. Alternatively, management should advise patrons that a photographer is in the house.

People are entitled to their privacy. What we have here is a situation where people should be able to opt-in to having their photos taken, not opt-out. The photographer should get permission from people first - people should not be put into a situation where they have to ask to not be photographed.

There is a big distinction between people taking snapshots to show friends and a photographer who is taking a professional approach to their work and displaying images of people in a professional context.

With respect, what utter twaddle!

In 30 years I've never known a promoter to ask attendees to refrain from taking pictures as some of the punters are precious!

They should stay home and hide under the duvet if they are that nervous, give me strength!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It just goes to show how little you and promoters know about the law as it applies to photography. And as any lawyer will tell you, ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law. This is not my 'twaddle' but the law's 'twaddle'.

The point here is that ultimately, people 'could' complain about having their photo taken at a venue by a photographer. Obviously, it's rare that anyone does.

Courtesy is the watchword here - people have a right to be advised if a photographer (as opposed to someone taking snapshots) is in the house. Simple.

Don't like it? Don't take it out on me. Write to your MP and seek the appropriate changes in the law.

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

As mentioned I always ask permission of the event organiser before taking images and at the end of the day, you and I are there as their paying guests. Any subsequent issues should then be taken directly with them.

Generally if a venue is open to members of the public and is deemed to be a public event then it's reasonable to assume we are in a public place. There are instances where venues will explicitly state no photography on their premises and in those instances it's always wise to double check.

That doesn't mean to say we should be rude, arrogant or disrespectful when shooting and like I say I am happy to discuss and avoid people who don't want their images taken for whatever reason.

Please can you clarify the context of proffesional photographer?

Social source share

Just a thought...Isn't it a bit strange taking a camra to a night club. Years ago it would have been taken from you by unsavourey fellows. I hate flash photography in a nice dark dancehall, and hate being photographed, but as it usually happens when I'm DJing, thus in the public eye, and unable to hide, I can't really complain. As I say it seems a strange way of spending your time at a club but each to their own.

dean

Social source share

Just a thought...Isn't it a bit strange taking a camra to a night club. Years ago it would have been taken from you by unsavourey fellows. I hate flash photography in a nice dark dancehall, and hate being photographed, but as it usually happens when I'm DJing, thus in the public eye, and unable to hide, I can't really complain. As I say it seems a strange way of spending your time at a club but each to their own.

dean

Unsavoury fellows at Soul events? I thought we were all paragons of honesty, trust and virtue :D

the vast majority of event goers really enjoy seing themselves and the scene painted in a very positive light and why not :) thats what I try to portray in each image and it's my way of hopefully giving something back to the scene.

Mind you I do tend to find there are different attitudes at venues, different attitudes in regions and different attitudes across the scene in general. In northern soul circles you really have to be a lot more sensetive to each person because the whole attitude to the music and dance is often taken very seriously. But you shoot a Jazz Funk gig and you get mobbed with event goers literally throwing themselves at the lens to be snapped :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!