Nice Record Shame About The Middle

Dobber

hi gang,just bored and curious and wondering what tunes do you really like but there is a part in the song musically or lyricaly that just kills it for you,two that spring to mind for me are:

the rays-love another girl-mala. the vocals at one point in this go terribly out of tune,i actually cringe waiting for it,shame cos its a belter.

tootsie rollers-give me love-me-o. fantastic northern soul,got everything i like in a dancer,BUT that hideous guitar solo in the middle that wont end,the guitarist in that band didnt know when to give up,should of sacked him and got a couple of trumpet players!

thats me for now,just thinkin of more!

Social source share

actually my missus has just reminded me that she cant stand the magnetics-lady in green,she says the whole song is out of tune,however its actually my all time fave for the very reason that it sounds a bit rough and ready...what the hell does she know..haha!

Social source share

im trying to remember a record i had years ago,the problem was with the bass player,all the way through the song he just makes mistake after mistake,couldnt believe it made it to vinyl,you would have thought someone at the mixing desk would have picked up on it,and also bobby paris-nite owl..the band all end a bit dodgy right at the end!...give it a listen.

Social source share

the chandlers, blinding upto that "slow down why the hell did they do that bit" then bang off we go again, always enjoy watching the dancers

walking around for this bit looking like there getting ready for old age to set in! lol

haha...i agree,when you dance to this and it reaches the slower bit,i dont know what to do with myself,feel a right dick!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

johnny maestro-steppin out of the picture...for years of having it on tape and cd i always loved the tune,in fact perfect in every way,but then i recently got a issue of it on scepter,put the record on,having a good time listening to it,then towards the end johnny does a high pitch wail that isnt on the versions ive ever heard,anyway the wail he does is bearable but crap never the less.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Frankie and the classicals What shall i do on Calla Love the record

The talkie break in the middle is woeful and spoils it slightly for me

Social source share

hi gang,just bored and curious and wondering what tunes do you really like but there is a part in the song musically or lyricaly that just kills it for you,two that spring to mind for me are:

the rays-love another girl-mala. the vocals at one point in this go terribly out of tune,i actually cringe waiting for it,shame cos its a belter.

tootsie rollers-give me love-me-o. fantastic northern soul,got everything i like in a dancer,BUT that hideous guitar solo in the middle that wont end,the guitarist in that band didnt know when to give up,should of sacked him and got a couple of trumpet players!

thats me for now,just thinkin of more!

tootsie rollers, keep the guitar solo and bin the rest of the record, utter tripe in my opinion, even the group name is crap, tootsie rollers f.f.s.

regards thhe chandlers i used to be of the same opinion as everyone else regarding the slow part , but over the years my tastes have changed and now i love it, a brilliant piece of production, breaks the song up perfectly for me

Edited by trev thomas
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

johnny maestro-steppin out of the picture...for years of having it on tape and cd i always loved the tune,in fact perfect in every way,but then i recently got a issue of it on scepter,put the record on,having a good time listening to it,then towards the end johnny does a high pitch wail that isnt on the versions ive ever heard,anyway the wail he does is bearable but crap never the less.

Yes the single is different to the versions that first Kent and then Charly put out on compilations. I also got a jolt first time I heard it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!