Bettye Lavette - The Book

BTW, she's doing a publicity tour to promote the book ....

... events in the US in book stores ..... plus ....

... some gigs already penciled in for December in France

.. Lille on Sunday 9th December; book your Eurostar tickets soon !!

Social source share

Rob, she is quite anti-NS scene these days.

Too many UK gigs where she was told what to sing & how to sing it (i.e exactly as the original record) plus too many fights with Ian Levine over his production on her Motorcity tracks.

So she will deffo write about her 'NS years' but I'm not sure it will be too full of praise !!

Social source share

Too many UK gigs where she was told what to sing & how to sing it (i.e exactly as the original record) plus too many fights with Ian Levine over his production on her Motorcity tracks.

So she will deffo write about her 'NS years' but I'm not sure it will be too full of praise !!

Oh dear, I was going to ask her to sign a couple of 45's?? Good idea?

Social source share

Oh dear, I was going to ask her to sign a couple of 45's?? Good idea?

she took my "What Condition" 45 cursed at it & flung it across the room, tread with caution........ needless to say "the condition is not the condition it was once in" or something along those lines......

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Social source share

To the best of my knowledge, Bettye always has (makes) time for her fans (even her NS fans) ....

... so I'd guess she would be happy to sign any records placed before her ...

...do not make mention of Ian Levine though ...

... AND ... if she sings one of your faves, but not in the same way as she originally recorded it, best not to mention that either.

Social source share

Just an update. I think Betty should have taken more notice of the people telling her what to sing. Very disappointed last night, very guitar heavy Blues most of the night, long rambling dialogue between songs and covers of Rock songs (I know she did the album). Songs from her recent CD's and absolutely nothing from her 60's/70's era.

The support band was interesting, a 26 piece band with horns and strings doing absolutely note perfect Motown covers?!?! 4 different singers who alternated the vocals on the songs with the last song being a great cover of Aint No Mountain High Enough

Not only that but had a bit of aggro with a drunk who plonked his self in our seats whilst I was at the bar. Despite several polite requests by the ladies in our party he just would not budge so he had to be "encouraged" to get up :thumbsup: I know I should know better at my age but he really was an obnoxious get. Security called - I said I would replace the drink that "accidentally" got spilt on him.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bettye seems to be to trying to become the Y2k version of Tina Turner.

Doing reworkings of rock songs rather than soul stuff.

Can't say it's the route I would like her to be taking.

money talks, that british rock songbook thing probably did really well for her.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!