Playlists, Or The Lack Of Them

The thing I like about playlists, is that people are prepared to put their balls on the line by printing what they play. I ALWAYS check playlists, mainly out of general interest to see what's cooking for certain crowds but also radio-wise it's always interesting. I always release my radio playlists. If nothing else, it's a handy archive as to what I've played over the years and always accurately dated, so it's like a personal musical diary.

But to hark back to some earlier posts on this thread, in my younger years (early 70's) playlists were incredibly exciting and, in my opinion, provided a lot of mystique to the scene. The Glories, the Sweets, the Tempos, the Tartans, Bob Relf, Moses Smith, the Wingate Love-In Strings, Bobby Treetop, Duke Browner...?

Who were these people and why were people putting 'em in their ads?

It suggested a scene that celebrated something different to the norm and it hooked me from the age of about 15 years old in 1970. Playlists gave me a major thirst to obtain more knowledge because I didn't recognise any of the records. Playlists were a huge part of attracting me to the scene. So I think they're cool.

Ian D :D

A post worth posting Ian NICE 1 :thumbsup:

JB xxx KTF xxx

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

NB: stig lindberg, must be a sad life if you could dance to uptempo tunes only. I feel sorry for you.

Not at all bunji,.....it,s not even about dancing...it,s about an upbeat vibe ya going out for christ sake......who goes to a party where everyone stands around having nice polite conversation, boring....or watch england play at a pedestrian pace rather than brazil with their fast flowing exciting footy.....most on here seem to like that stand at the bar (usually yawning) mid tempo alnight vibe then go home at 1 o'clock knackered.The playlist put up reflects that, lou rawls ffs, god give me strength......but folk still want playlists from more vibrant clubs and yes l believe to cherry pick em for whatever......first time l walked into the torch the place was electric with upbeat music.......where would we be now if they'd been playing lou rawls lol atb and do try to stay awake

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Yeah but that's the thing about playlists. You nail your balls to the floor and people can make their own minds up about your taste and whether it may appeal to them or not. It's a pretty democratic process.

To come out guns blazing and having a go at someone who's been bold enough to release their playlist, without you releasing your own, is kinda one-sided and too easy in my opinion. You seem to want to denigrate other people's musical tastes without revealing your own preferences.

So, in a perfect one hour DJ spot what would you play mate?

If I knew your personal favoured playlist, I'd then be able to gauge your personal taste and then put your thoughts into context regarding other people's playlists. Does that make sense?

Excuse me ian....but l never came out initially all guns blazing merely said the playlist was not aimed at the dancefloor as the fella had said....come on!....you would be skipping tracks all day if they were on in ya car lol......for those who think l only like upbeat stuff YES when l go OUT. was at prestatyn one year chilling over a few pints funnily enough with Kev H and big Paul, having a real giggle and steve plumb was playing some lovely crossover/modern stuff nobody was dancing,but that didn,t matter....the music was great because,right vibe, right situation.....can,t put up a playlist folk might nick stuff off of it lol atb t

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

xcuse me ian....but l never came out initially all guns blazing merely said the playlist was not aimed at the dancefloor as the fella had said....come on!....you would be skipping tracks all day if they were on in ya car lol......for those who think l only like upbeat stuff YES when l go OUT. was at prestatyn one year chilling over a few pints funnily enough with Kev H and big Paul, having a real giggle and steve plumb was playing some lovely crossover/modern stuff nobody was dancing,but that didn,t matter....the music was great because,right vibe, right situation.....can,t put up a playlist folk might nick stuff off of it lol atb t

Yeah but in a way you've just emphasized why playlists are important. There's a wide swathe of music out there and playlists help you figure out what kind of stuff different people play. Obviously when you go out you may personally want million mile an hour pumping adrenalin fueled stompers which is fine and exactly what I want too when I'm in that kind of mood. But other times I may fancy hearing more sophisticated, smoother stuff. Sometimes I fancy hearing some funkier edged stuff or a crossover set. It all depends on my mood.

That's why I like playlists. I can make evaluated decisions about who and what I want to listen to and choose accordingly.

Playlists spread the appeal of the music as well. Putting a playlist up and then other folk copying some of your selections basically 'breaks' records to the wider scene and you'll generally get the credit for pushing the record first hopefully.

People keep moaning about how the 'real' rare soul venues are losing attendances and how the audiences are dwindling at these venues and I think I can understand why. If the rare scene becomes too exclusive and up it's own arse it'll end up with a room full of well-meaning chin-strokers and no crowd or atmosphere if it's not careful.

Plus of course, these days everyone's a DJ which means that the scene is diluted with too many DJ's who are really collectors at heart. That's why playlists are good. A quick glance at a playlist will give you a good idea of whether you want to spend an hour of your life listening to a particular DJ or not surely?

Go on! Give us a playlist Tezza! :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Personally i list my play lists to let others know what i`m about and help promote either our own gig or someone else`s.Sometimes i hold back playlists if someone/s at the venue was after a certain record i played .Or i email them it first so they got a head start :shhh: .If it`s a real toughie and person needs a few months etc to locate it,i also leave it off play list,for me i give priority to people who take the time to turn up over Voyeurs anyday :wicked: .i`m sure all collectors understand where i`m coming from on this :P

I can see all view points re posting or not,at Filthy`s we like our guests to post what they played but we don`t get on any one`s case if they don`t want to.

My view on this:If other people wanna use your playlists for there use,surely that`s a good thing,means your on the right track,artist gets props and let`s be honest,those that go out regular will know who played it first etc if that`s a big thing in your life.Personally if i`m `put onto a track` ,i always give that person props.It`s not about me or the dj,it`s the artist who makes the music.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Eyesight gone Terry? its Benji :lol: you tinker!!

i think everyone should put up playlists.............Thats what the scene is about records!

Steve

by the way i can vouch for Terry at one time he had probably one of the top willy waving collections in the country :D

Hello steve......bit off topic but hope you are well tezza

Social source share

Personally i list my play lists to let others know what i`m about and help promote either our own gig or someone else`s.Sometimes i hold back playlists if someone/s at the venue was after a certain record i played .Or i email them it first so they got a head start :shhh: .If it`s a real toughie and person needs a few months etc to locate it,i also leave it off play list,for me i give priority to people who take the time to turn up over Voyeurs anyday :wicked: .i`m sure all collectors understand where i`m coming from on this :P

I can see all view points re posting or not,at Filthy`s we like our guests to post what they played but we don`t get on any one`s case if they don`t want to.

My view on this:If other people wanna use your playlists for there use,surely that`s a good thing,means your on the right track,artist gets props and let`s be honest,those that go out regular will know who played it first etc if that`s a big thing in your life.Personally if i`m `put onto a track` ,i always give that person props.It`s not about me or the dj,it`s the artist who makes the music.

Wayne ..ffs ,whatever you do ,dont post one up as a example !

Tez will have a field day with anything post 1970 and remotely mid - tempo :(

He's the Simon Cowell of soulsource ,feckin ruthless .lol

P.s

Don't say you haven't been warned!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Wayne ..ffs ,whatever you do ,dont post one up as a example !

Tez will have a field day with anything post 1970 and remotely mid - tempo :(

He's the Simon Cowell of soulsource ,feckin ruthless .lol

P.s

Don't say you haven't been warned!

Don`t worry Nev,i won`t bore Tez with my selections :shhh:

Social source share

Just found this thread which is a bit boring

In my opinion no DJ worth his salt should never post his/hers playlist as all that ego trips and price hiking of reords.

I myself have never done or posted a playlist & never will end of story!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry but i have to reply to this.

What a lot of nonsense, This scene is built around the music that is being played and danced to. Playlists have always played a major part on our scene and i for 1 hope that they continue to do so.

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

Just found this thread which is a bit boring

In my opinion no DJ worth his salt should never post his/hers playlist as all that ego trips and price hiking of reords.

I myself have never done or posted a playlist & never will end of story!!!!!!!!!!!

Who decides if a DJ is worth his salt? Would that be the said DJ?

It has never been about us (punters / DJ's / whoever) and it never will be!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I like playlists because I don't go out anymore. I still buy the odd record though and quite often its because I've seen a record listed on someone's playlist that I don't know amongst others that I do. I go off to try and find it on the net and listen to it, if I like it then I either find out it is impossible to turn up or too damned expensive for my budget or I set up a search on eBay and eventually buy a copy.

Somebody is probably going to tell me that is a terrible thing to do, but it isn't really.

Social source share

Guest rodw

I think a lot of folks from other scenes would find it pretty bizzarre that Dj's and collectors dont want to share there music and ideas on the northern soul scene.

Could'nt agree more....Blues, Folk, Jazz, Reggae, World Music scenes are baised on people listening to new music, that's how they keep going....new bands, new music, new releases. Bizzarre is exactly the right word for it ALL !!! The age groups are the same as our scene too....CRAZY !!!
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!