Playlists, Or The Lack Of Them

Guest Brett F

sorry fella that is not dancing soul....but it does highlight another reason for playlists let ya know where not to go.. atb tezza

What bollocks....everything on that playlist YOU disparaged is danceable, i question that it is YOU who does not know how to dance to it or is unable to . Can i ask you to give me a representation of the type of SOUL you choose to dance to..............

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

i think peope prefere to read them rather than write them, we have had 100 hits a day on the soul in the south niter playlists, pitty we couldn.t get them in the venue :(

Says a lot really Tim....some bloody ace tunes played....on a par with some of the best rare and underplayed niters in the country...maybe people just don't like travelling south !!! But perhaps that's another topic for debate on here....

Social source share

sorry fella that is not dancing soul....but it does highlight another reason for playlists let ya know where not to go.. atb tezza

Well there you have it, why would anyone turn up at a club play a set of tunes to suit that night, probably go down really well, then take the time to share what they played on a message board knowing full well, whatever is on the list, someone will think the above, or worse still post it?

I will carry on playing what I think will work that venue without giving a flying fukc what folk who aren't even there think, and as for willy waving let's not even go there,

Edited by Pete60
Social source share

Here you go then nowt fancy just great soul music with the dance floor in mind !!

Gladys knight - No one could love you more

Martha Reeves -Show me the way

Chris Clark- Something's wrong

Mayfield Singers- Don't start none

Pat & The Blenders - Just because

Gloria Jones- Gone with the wind is my love

Jack Montgomery - My dear beloved

Archie Bell - Where will you go when the party is over

Southside Movement -Do it to me

The Brothers- Are you ready for this

Bobby Womack- Home is where the heart is

Collins and Collins -Top of the stairs

GQ- Make my dreams a reality

Harold Melvin- The love I lost

Lou Rawls - See you when I git there.

Ramsbottom Cricket Club Saturday night

Neil

well if you don,t know....all that floaty floaty stuff in with beat ballady jack monty......that is crossover soul night dross....it really is imo atb

thats pretty dam rude and ill though out, there's quite a diverse set of records there, not all perasonal faves of mine but certainly all aimed at the dancefloor.

Social source share

maybe people just don't like travelling south !!!

Bit sharp there Sal, we've had 90% travellers on most occasions...but that is also another topic really. The general interest shown on on Soul Source does indicate that Soul in the South Allnighter is one of the top in the country tho...maybe it is musically & dj wise but it certainly is'nt the case through the door ??? Does make you wonder tho....

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Ouch !!!!! . Btw what do you call ''dancing soul'' ?

well for a start something with a bit of go in it.....theres probably 2 tunes in that lot that are anywhere near upbeat....if l had to hear a whole night of the rest l would be off home in an hour you're really not thiking play em through in ya minds eye 4 o'clock in the morning....you'd be in a coma...no disrespect to anyone but come on fellas

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Guy posts a playlist, and gets the machine guns turned on him from Stig towers. :lol:

Let that be a lesson to anyone else thinking of posting a playlist! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The guns are primed and waiting..... He he!

so an opinion is o.k as long as it,s in agreement or to say somethings great......thats the kind of playlist that stops people going out it really is atb mate tezza

Social source share

well for a start something with a bit of go in it.....theres probably 2 tunes in that lot that are anywhere near upbeat....if l had to hear a whole night of the rest l would be off home in an hour you're really not thiking play em through in ya minds eye 4 o'clock in the morning....you'd be in a coma...no disrespect to anyone but come on fellas

If you read Neils post properly, you will see he played em at Ramsbottom Cricket Club, so where does 4 o'clock in the morning fit in?

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

What bollocks....everything on that playlist YOU disparaged is danceable, i question that it is YOU who does not know how to dance to it or is unable to . Can i ask you to give me a representation of the type of SOUL you choose to dance to..............

something that keeps me awake with some spark.......collins and collins,lou rawls,bobby womack and archie bell ect do us a favour advert music

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

so an opinion is o.k as long as it,s in agreement or to say somethings great......thats the kind of playlist that stops people going out it really is atb mate tezza

Well maybe not to a soul night in Ramsbottom m8 wherever that is (Lancs?). The soul scene is much much broader than just Niters, as you well know Terry....

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Well maybe not to a soul night in Ramsbottom m8 wherever that is (Lancs?). The soul scene is much much broader than just Niters, as you well know Terry....

he just put a playlist up...who spoke of nighters that would put me in a coma played at home lol

Social source share

Guest Brett F

something that keeps me awake with some spark.......collins and collins,lou rawls,bobby womack and archie bell ect do us a favour advert music

DO YOU ACTUALLY EMBRACE SOUL MUSIC ...OR JUST TEMPO...........................???

Social source share

I don't want to offend anyone here, but I have occasionally taken the time to analyse some of the play lists on this forum. Mainly because I have never heard of most of the tracks listed. So I have pasted them into you tube and had a listen, and I have to say they have nothing to do with [what I consider to be] northern soul what so ever. It's funk, plain and simple, and bloody awful to my ears. That's a different scene guys.

It just goes to show that there's no more quality, and fresh northern left to be discovered. We are all so desperate to find something different that we are willing to inflict any old rubbish on any poor bugger who listen to it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

A bit late for that remark now . You had no right to say that , just because it is not YOUR taste in music . I read many play-lists on here , most are brilliant because they are aimed at the punter . If I saw one that I thought was a bit iffy I would not even bother finishing the post . That remark you made was darn right rude mate , most probably the rudest thing i've read on here .

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I don't want to offend anyone here, but I have occasionally taken the time to analyse some of the play lists on this forum. Mainly because I have never heard of most of the tracks listed. So I have pasted them into you tube and had a listen, and I have to say they have nothing to do with [what I consider to be] northern soul what so ever. It's funk, plain and simple, and bloody awful to my ears. That's a different scene guys.

It just goes to show that there's no more quality, and fresh northern left to be discovered. We are all so desperate to find something different that we are willing to inflict any old rubbish on any poor bugger who listen to it.

Not just funk though what about that rock & roll being passed off as rnb and disco as modern soul and 60s pop as NS, see there is a benefit to playlists lol

On the other hand I have looked through a few lists and done the same as you Phil pasted into YouTube and found some absolute corkers and realised there's a few djs out there that have the same taste as myself in music.

Love em or hate em I think there's more benefits to playlists than not.

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Harold Melvin at four o clock in the morning perhaps ...The love I lozzzzzz zzzzzz zzzzt zzz
Social source share

surely the trick with any playlist is to put it into some sort of context

be it time, venue, what you were going for, what was crowd like, type of event and so on ?

if you just throw a list up, with the wide range of members on here always going to get it taken various ways

on whole playlist thing

to me a "interesting" playlist would be more a sort of fellow member passing on an account of how their spot went to other members

rather than just a list

after all we are talking to fellow soul music fans, dancers, collectors, djs etc etc on here

and fairly sure members passing on such things as "was surprised how well so and so went", "as so and so bombed dug out so and so to get floor going again" or

"followed with this and really worked well" could be a bit more interesting...

It takes 3 pages for the voice of reason :hatsoff2:

At our events its very rare to see playlists, maybe something to do with getting out there and getting the experience live, supporting events, not just ticking off lists on a Monday in lookbacks...

As Mike says, a few tunes talked about in a lookback can give a real good feel of the night, playlist after playlist alone can never give you a real flavour of how the reaction was...

We do some profiles of djs and ask them to drop a few tunes that are their flavour of the month at the moment before events, this gives folk ample chance to see what the event is about.... As said by others, word of mouth also is worth a thousand flyers..

This topic like many others can get swamped with various views, all correct i guess but at odds with each other, we have the full spectrum of people in this broad church from the up tempo terrorists to the nowt so fast and furious brigade :D

Many times playlists serve the record dealers who never go to events, they cherry pick from others playlists, also the lazy wanna be djs who don't attend the event, these too just cherry pick and no original thoughts of their own... Pays your money at the door and support the event at least..

My views alone of course, we all do it the way we want and long may that continue, maybe like most things a balance is good, the odd playlist and talk about certain records in lookbacks maybe but wanting/ expecting every dj to supply a playlist :sleep3:

As some folk will know, a certain tune on a playlist alone can give little or no feel as to how it was in them few mins that it was played, did it take the roof off or have a affect of a fire alarm and clear the building, did it get have folk running tripping over tables to get to the dancefloor or have them getting out a crossword puzzle book.... These questions are best answered by folk getting out there and getting the experience in the flesh...

If i been at event where a dj can play a set of classic soul records in a spot, not somethiing i may want most of the time but every bit as good as any other djs that night, the classics spot lit up the event and set the scene for the rest of the evening, the dj did what was needed at the time, this set in the context of a playlist would mean next to nothing just read by the stay away crowd on a Monday..

More customers, not just the djs/ promoters talking about tunes in lookbacks, this can give a true flavour of an event for wanna be customers...

Just a thought

Edited by little-stevie
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Don't start me on Harold Melvin "The love I lost". It was originally revived in the middle of a modern / 70s set some years ago when all the soulful house stuff was mingling with rare 70s (UBP, Joi Caldwell etc v Elipsis, Tolbert etc.), so early 2000s - purely because it sounded a bit different, wasn't miserable, seemed to fit in and yet was something everyone knew. And it rammed the floor at that venue...and got played a few more times as a "singalong / Karaoke" job. And that should have been it, put away for another ten years, and left to Radio 2 for the occasional play by Smashey & Nicey. But no, it's now heard at just about every darn soul night. Put it away fellas and lady DJs.....you all got more interesting records to play. :yes:

so your saying the love i lost needs a rest steve................................... :g:

yes i think i agree with you

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Its simple really.Afternoon type sessions,any tempo goes to a certain extent.But with respect, 12 100mph tunes one after the other wont go down too well at 4 in the afternoon.Play to suit the venue.

Niters? Different Kettle altogether....mainly uptempo,throw in some mid - and Bob's ya auntie.

Off topic i know.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

surely the trick with any playlist is to put it into some sort of context

be it time, venue, what you were going for, what was crowd like, type of event and so on ?

if you just throw a list up, with the wide range of members on here always going to get it taken various ways

on whole playlist thing

to me a "interesting" playlist would be more a sort of fellow member passing on an account of how their spot went to other members

rather than just a list

after all we are talking to fellow soul music fans, dancers, collectors, djs etc etc on here

and fairly sure members passing on such things as "was surprised how well so and so went", "as so and so bombed dug out so and so to get floor going again" or

"followed with this and really worked well" could be a bit more interesting...

I agree with this, so much so, that it prompted me to post my playlist from a week ago, but with a little introduction to the night, the crowd, the time, and the other DJs!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Don't start me on Harold Melvin "The love I lost". It was originally revived in the middle of a modern / 70s set some years ago when all the soulful house stuff was mingling with rare 70s (UBP, Joi Caldwell etc v Elipsis, Tolbert etc.), so early 2000s - purely because it sounded a bit different, wasn't miserable, seemed to fit in and yet was something everyone knew. And it rammed the floor at that venue...and got played a few more times as a "singalong / Karaoke" job. And that should have been it, put away for another ten years, and left to Radio 2 for the occasional play by Smashey & Nicey. But no, it's now heard at just about every darn soul night. Put it away fellas and lady DJs.....you all got more interesting records to play. :yes:

Quite right it should be put away,what do you think the z zz z zzzzzzz zzzzz stands for ,it means sleep zz sleep what a zzs inducing thing to hear not just at four in the morning but at any time it will always be a disco record to me thought it mediocre as a disco record at the time of its release as it filled the airwaves of radio one and co .(one of the day that is along with top of the pops ,where it belonged.My opinion only.
Social source share

If the technology was around at the time I can imagine someone who went to the wheel posting a wigan, mecca or clethorpes playlist on youtube and thinking what the hell as this crap got to do with what I used to listen to and I'm not just talking about your Murial Day's here, a whole bunch of the classic cassino sound was black music for white ears at best, imho.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

it will always be a disco record to me thought it mediocre as a disco record at the time of its release as it filled the airwaves of radio one and co .(one of the day that is along with top of the pops ,where it belonged.My opinion only.

Well I'll disagree with you there, it's actually a very good disco record. And it's a very catchy record too. But agree no real place on the rare soul scene. Perfect though for "Club soul" parties for the "Handbag and High Heels" set and "Civilian Friday evenings out".

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i thought this thread was about why people dont put up playlists not about whether funk,rnb or whatever should be played at a northern nite?....a scene where the music has always changed as far as i can see from the wheel to wigan to stafford to rnb and now funky stuff...bloody hell youve got me at it now!!

anyway my playlist from sundays london alldayer is up.....fire away!

dean

• Helpful 2
Social source share

My something for everyone playlist from Saturday 2nd June @ Fist full of soul,Broad lane W.M.C,apart from lovers of Motown cuz I forget em lol :P

Marvin Gaye - Got to give you up

Curtis Mayfield - Move on up

Frank Popp - Breakaway

Don Thomas - Come on train

Chosen few - Birth of a playboy

Eddie Parker - Love you baby

Herb Ward - Honest to goodness

Trini Lopez - Sinner not a saint

Marlena Shaw - Let's wade in the water

Helen Troy - I think I love you

Etta James - Tighten up your own thing

Betty Everett - Nothing I wouldn't do

Anita Hulmes - What did I do

Mamie Galore - It ain't necessary

Bobby Bland - Shoes

Bobby Garrett - I can't get away

Chris Morgan - Who am I

Teddy Pendegrass - Do me

Carol Anderson - Sad girl

Archie Bell - Where will you go when the party's over

JB xxx KTF xxx

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share

:dash2: ..put playlists in Playlists.

Calm down it's only a playlist lol :D

I see nothing was said about the other playlist posted,must be cuz I'm a woman DJ lol

Oh and by the way it is in the correct forum actually :P delete it if ya want lol

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

DO YOU ACTUALLY EMBRACE SOUL MUSIC ...OR JUST TEMPO...........................???

different soul for different times home,car,party ect ect....never seen a play list for in ya motor....playlist are presumably for when ya go OUT......so some kind of tempo is required to keep things bubbling or no!??? those tunes barely have a pulse atb t

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Calm down it's only a playlist lol :D

I see nothing was said about the other playlist posted,must be cuz I'm a woman DJ lol

Oh and by the way it is in the correct forum actually :P delete it if ya want lol

Hang on a minute Jelly..not a dip at you... but it was the second(?) playlist...bit ironic really..Me delete it? . No,i'm not a moderator.

Cos you're a woman?,,Hey c'mon JB....

Social source share

Seems like some are getting too paranoid. Tunes 'getting nicked' by others too lazy to get their own tunes? Bullshit. Period. If you have any 'elusive' tunes you don't want us to see, just leave them out of your playlist and post the rest.

NB: stig lindberg, must be a sad life if you could dance to uptempo tunes only. I feel sorry for you.

Social source share

Seems like some are getting too paranoid. Tunes 'getting nicked' by others too lazy to get their own tunes? Bullshit. Period. If you have any 'elusive' tunes you don't want us to see, just leave them out of your playlist and post the rest.

NB: stig lindberg, must be a sad life if you could dance to uptempo tunes only. I feel sorry for you.

Here, here Benji, the day be coming when sanity prevails and the real stuff, mid-tempo that is will reign supreme again

Kev

Social source share

Hi Benji

Here's my playlist from the car on the way back from Cleethorpes Sunday:

....... ........ ........

........ ........ .......

... ........... ........

Harold Melvin & Bluenotes "The lolly I lost"

Frederick Hymes III "Lyons ain't gonna do me no flavours"

Ben & Jerry'O "Boogaloo"

Wynder K Frog "Carte D'or"

.... ... ... ..........

... ...... ..........

... ....... .... ...... ....... ... .... . ..... . . .

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Hi Benji

Here's my playlist from the car on the way back from Cleethorpes Sunday:

....... ........ ........

........ ........ .......

... ........... ........

Harold Melvin & Bluenotes "The lolly I lost"

Frederick Hymes III "Lyons ain't gonna do me no flavours"

Ben & Jerry'O "Boogaloo"

Wynder K Frog "Carte D'or"

.... ... ... ..........

... ...... ..........

... ....... .... ...... ....... ... .... . ..... . . .

Been told before that you really suck when dj'ing while driving :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Heartnsoul

I would think that in this day and age most of us know what any one DJ is known to play and the policy of most venues so I doubt a playlist in the grand scheme of things is going to make much difference.

For once I have to agree with Terry, both his posts!!

Sorry Chalky but have to disagree with this post. How can anyone, in this day and age (as you quote), possibly know the taste and current playlists of everfy DJ and/or venue? I have trouble keeping track of my own tastes/playlist!

Do agree with a lot of the above posts. i.e. pro's and cons either side of the argument.

Personally I tend to like to see playlists from venues that I have attended i.e. wonder what that great RnB track that grumpy fat old bloke played etc? Might them buy the track, whether its to play out or for 'personal use' is largely irrelevant isn't it, unless you're one of those people that just wants to nick someone else's playlist and pretend you 'discovered' em all. Surely such sad individuals are few and far between?

As for the 'dick waving' accusations in previous posts they will persist whether or not people place playlists. If someone plays a set that consists of predominantly rare, expensive tunes they will be accused of it (rightly or wrongly) regardless of whether its posted on SS.

All IMHO of course, feel free to tell me I'm talking b*ll*cks,

Rich

Social source share

Guest Heartnsoul

The thing I like about playlists, is that people are prepared to put their balls on the line by printing what they play. I ALWAYS check playlists, mainly out of general interest to see what's cooking for certain crowds but also radio-wise it's always interesting. I always release my radio playlists. If nothing else, it's a handy archive as to what I've played over the years and always accurately dated, so it's like a personal musical diary.

But to hark back to some earlier posts on this thread, in my younger years (early 70's) playlists were incredibly exciting and, in my opinion, provided a lot of mystique to the scene. The Glories, the Sweets, the Tempos, the Tartans, Bob Relf, Moses Smith, the Wingate Love-In Strings, Bobby Treetop, Duke Browner...?

Who were these people and why were people putting 'em in their ads?

It suggested a scene that celebrated something different to the norm and it hooked me from the age of about 15 years old in 1970. Playlists gave me a major thirst to obtain more knowledge because I didn't recognise any of the records. Playlists were a huge part of attracting me to the scene. So I think they're cool.

Ian D :D

Well said Ian, A very positive post and spot on with regards to my own experience ie seeing playlists in Blues n Soul and reading reviews in Dave Godin's column etc,

Rich

Social source share

different soul for different times home,car,party ect ect....never seen a play list for in ya motor....playlist are presumably for when ya go OUT......so some kind of tempo is required to keep things bubbling or no!??? those tunes barely have a pulse atb t

Yeah but that's the thing about playlists. You nail your balls to the floor and people can make their own minds up about your taste and whether it may appeal to them or not. It's a pretty democratic process.

To come out guns blazing and having a go at someone who's been bold enough to release their playlist, without you releasing your own, is kinda one-sided and too easy in my opinion. You seem to want to denigrate other people's musical tastes without revealing your own preferences.

So, in a perfect one hour DJ spot what would you play mate?

If I knew your personal favoured playlist, I'd then be able to gauge your personal taste and then put your thoughts into context regarding other people's playlists. Does that make sense?

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hang on a minute Jelly..not a dip at you... but it was the second(?) playlist...bit ironic really..Me delete it? . No,i'm not a moderator.

Cos you're a woman?,,Hey c'mon JB....

Sorry Kev,I thought maybe you were a moderator cuz of what you said lol As for me thinking it maybe cuz I'm a woman,it just seems to me that women DJ's don't get much of a look in as the men DJ's do,but thats a different thread and I'm not quite sure if that topic as ever been done before lol.

Anyway I wasn't having a dip at you either I was having a MEN-opausal moment lol :wicked: so tek no notice of me. :wink:

JB xxx KTF xxx :)

Edited by JELLYBEAN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!