Still A Motown Lover At Heart ?

Guest Johnny Mack

Guest Johnny Mack

Had a dig in the cupboard today and pulled a few motown records and once again reminded myself what great sounds we all have that we should play more often - here's six from the Gordy stable that hadn't seen playtime in this household for a while and really hit the spot for me today :

Martha & Vandellas~ Show Me The Way

Martha & Vandellas ~ I Gottta Let You Go

Martha & Vandellas ~ What Am I Going To Do Without Your Love

Kim Weston ~ Helpless

Temptations ~ Girl Why You Wanna Make Me Blue

Martha & Vandellas ~ My Baby Loves Me

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Go on and have a dig and remind yourself how good some of these records really are !

Have a good one,

John

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

:thumbsup: Great idea diggin' out forgotten tunes,personaly i just got in from work and 4 big crates of unsorted soul/funk stuff deliverd from usa contact,i got them in a deal with metal/thrash shit i traded + $$.So im gonna be real busy now sorting out the crap etc.If your reading this Kenny (back door),no i dont need help today thanks. ill keep you posted on whats in this lot.. :thumbsup:
Social source share

Had a dig in the cupboard today and pulled a few motown records and once again reminded myself what great sounds we all have that we should play more often - here's six from the Gordy stable that hadn't seen playtime in this household for a while and really hit the spot for me today :

Kim Weston ~ Helpless

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Go on and have a dig and remind yourself how good some of these records really are !

Have a good one,

John

Played every second Saturday of the month, my friend, plus heaps more goodies. Nice to see more people dig Detroit magic.

Warren Boogaloo

Social source share

A song at played work has been driving my daughter nuts, she really likes it and said to me she thought it was northern soul but all she could remember was the words I love you. I tried in vain to find out and played her loads of stuff, then today she rang and said she found out what it is.Turns out its The Isley Brothers - This old heart of mine :thumbsup:

Social source share

Strange, but i have had a small Motown session this afternoon, this is what i played.

Stevie Wonder - Hey Love - Tamla

Barbara McNair - Your'e Gonna' Love My Baby - Motown

The Spinners - How Can I - Motown

Eddie Kendricks If You Let Me In - Tamla Demo

Edwin Starr - Ain't It Hell Up In Harlem - Motown demo

Mary Wells - You Beat Me To The Punch -Motown

Four Tops - Don't Bring Back Memories - Motown

Brenda Holloway - When I'm Gone - Tamla

The Vows - Tell Me - V.I.P.

Hearts Of Stone - If I Could Give You The World - V.I.P. demo

Marvin Gaye - God Is Love - Tamla Motown LP

Great afternoons music.........

Brett

Brett :thumbsup:

Edited by Brett
Social source share

Strange, but i have had a small Motown session this afternoon, this is what i played.

Brett

Great stuff Brett. But remember Motown is not just for Christmas.......... :thumbsup:

By the way, don't know the Edwin track, can you post up a soundbite pleeeeeze.

Thanks

Warren Boogaloo

Social source share

So much Motown was and is just brilliant. It's a shame that the rarity factor of the NS scene has made a lot of Motown particularly mainstream Motown effectively more accessible to the general public than it has to those who delved a little deeper.I think some time ago - I think it was Dayo - someone started a thread about which Motown hits would have been massive Northern plays if they hadn't been hits. 'This Old Heart of Mine' and indeed so many of the Isley Brother records seem to fall into that category. Of course in some cases they were/are Northern plays.

In about 1968 a friend of mine had just got herself a discotron by saving up her Embassy (or was it Number 6?!) coupons. It was a brilliant British summer's day - as we used to have in those days - but the only records that we had were half price ex juke box copies of 'I'm Living in Shame' - The Supremes and 'Get Ready' - The Temptations. At first, the proud owner of the shiny new discotron was loath to sully her prized possession with these chart hits. But it was case of hits or nothing, and I can still remember how good they sounded in that summer British sun.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

So much Motown was and is just brilliant. It's a shame that the rarity factor of the NS scene has made a lot of Motown particularly mainstream Motown effectively more accessible to the general public than it has to those who delved a little deeper.I think some time ago - I think it was Dayo - someone started a thread about which Motown hits would have been massive Northern plays if they hadn't been hits. 'This Old Heart of Mine' and indeed so many of the Isley Brother records seem to fall into that category. Of course in some cases they were/are Northern plays.

In about 1968 a friend of mine had just got herself a discotron by saving up her Embassy (or was it Number 6?!) coupons. It was a brilliant British summer's day - as we used to have in those days - but the only records that we had were half price ex juke box copies of 'I'm Living in Shame' - The Supremes and 'Get Ready' - The Temptations. At first, the proud owner of the shiny new discotron was loath to sully her prized possession with these chart hits. But it was case of hits or nothing, and I can still remember how good they sounded in that summer British sun.

Let's face it only for Motown a fair few of us would never have step down the northern road, it was the sound that we were first exposed to,then wanted more. :thumbsup:

Social source share

go on and have a dig and remind yourself how good some of these records really are !

Have a good one,

John

originals lp california sunset.just refound this behind some boxes.id marked up whyd you lie and let me in your life.just played them .superb tracks both.

favourite all time motown these things will keep me loving you

aahhh memories

bill

Social source share

Isley Brothers - Tell me its just a rumour, Has got to be one of the best Northern/motownn Records ever IMO

Just orderd 3 Holidays 45 0n Golden World of ebay should be hear this next week :thumbsup:

Must addmit to over looking most of the Rictic/Gold World/ etc etc stuff in the past and over the last 12 months be buying up loads of stuff cheep off ebay :thumbsup:

Social source share

Stevie Wonder - Hey Love - Tamla

Barbara McNair - Your'e Gonna' Love My Baby - Motown

The Spinners - How Can I - Motown

Mary Wells - You Beat Me To The Punch -Motown

Four Tops - Don't Bring Back Memories - Motown

Brenda Holloway - When I'm Gone - Tamla

The Vows - Tell Me - V.I.P.

Hearts Of Stone - If I Could Give You The World - V.I.P. demo

Marvin Gaye - God Is Love - Tamla Motown LP

Brett

Great selection there mate, love The Spinners - How Can I & Mary Wells - Beat Me To The Punch. Just been playing The Real Barbara McNair album - It Happens Every Time - superb!!!!!

Alan

Social source share

So nice to see this thread on, as a confirmed Motown fan I agree with people on here who say just because it ain't rare then it don't mean a thing, certainly mainstream Motown i.e. chart stuff takes a bit of stick in some quarters but when you are brought up on Motown as I was even the charted stuff sounds great to this day, in the clubs in my day it was Motown vs Atlantic but it was a no contest regarding musicianship of Motown with respect to the Atlantic in house band, here's a few chart entry's that I still love to hear to this day,

Supremes----Love Is Here And Now Your Gone

Four Tops----I Can't Help Myself

Temptations---I Wish It Would Rain

Edwin Starr---Stop Her On Sight

Stevie Wonder---Shoo Be Do Da Day

Gladys Knight---Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me

Marvin & Tammi---Ain't No Mountain High

Martha & The Vandellas---Honey Child

Barbara Randolph---I Got A Feeling

plus loads more I can't think of at the mo....oh yes...and this is a warning...chin strokers stay off this topic :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Lenny

Social source share

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Motown that is the music of the fancy dancer,the very best foot tapping beat.the jameson bass guitar,

Junior Walkers uptempo soulrock voices of the biggies Levi Stubbs,David Ruffin.Jimmy Ruffin.Eddie Kendricks,Brenda Holloway,The Soul of Kim Weston,the velvet tones of Marvin Gayes voice,Smokeys inovative lyrics and the love songs he wrote for himself and others,Holland Dozier Holland.ANNA Gordy Motown,VIP, Soul Stateside TMG,WE COULD SING SONGS and wax lyrical about Motown all night Long

and we do,

fave tunes

Darling your wonderful Marvin Gaye

Ask the Lonely 4 Tops

I Wish it would Rain and Stay by -----------------Temptations

Then by-------------------------------------------------------- Supremes and Temps

Sax Apeal and These Eyes -------------------------Jr Walker

a few of hundreds inc I hope you have better luck than I did ---------Martha Reeves Album Track

current Motown spins 2 CAN HAVE A PARTY BY TAMMI SOLO VERSION

24 hrs to find my baby --------Funk Bros

Ive been blessed--------------Martha Reeves

Just cant help but feel the pain---------------------------------- Spinner

could sit and wtite for hours but 2 fingered typing a strain on the eyes

Doug

love motown

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited by MAKEMVINYL
Social source share

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Motown that is the music of the fancy dancer,the very best foot tapping beat.the jameson bass guitar,

Junior Walkers uptempo soulrock voices of the biggies Levi Stubbs,David Ruffin.Jimmy Ruffin.Eddie Kendricks,Brenda Holloway,The Soul of Kim Weston,the velvet tones of Marvin Gayes voice,Smokeys inovative lyrics and the love songs he wrote for himself and others,Holland Dozier Holland.ANNA Gordy Motown,VIP, Soul Stateside TMG,WE COULD SING SONGS and wax lyrical about Motown all night Long

and we do,

fave tunes

Darling your wonderful Marvin Gaye

Ask the Lonely 4 Tops

I Wish it would Rain and Stay by -----------------Temptations

Then by-------------------------------------------------------- Supremes and Temps

Sax Apeal and These Eyes -------------------------Jr Walker

a few of hundreds inc I hope you have better luck than I did ---------Martha Reeves Album Track

current Motown spins 2 CAN HAVE A PARTY BY TAMMI SOLO VERSION

24 hrs to find my baby --------Funk Bros

Ive been blessed--------------Martha Reeves

Just cant help but feel the pain---------------------------------- Spinner

could sit and wtite for hours but 2 fingered typing a strain on the eyes

Doug

love motown

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fabulous topic. But where do you start ? So much great music.

Steve

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Let's face it only for Motown a fair few of us would never have step down the northern road, it was the sound that we were first exposed to,then wanted more. :thumbsup:

Good call, for me it was stuff like Jimmy Mack, Needle In A Haystack, Ghost In My House that lead to me picking up Northern Soul compilations which led to me spending 'HOW MUCH FOR A SINGLE???? :thumbsup: on the real stuff.

Occasionally I dig out some of the more mainstream stuff and play it again, and yes, some of it still works for me.

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Good call, for me it was stuff like Jimmy Mack, Needle In A Haystack, Ghost In My House that lead to me picking up Northern Soul compilations which led to me spending 'HOW MUCH FOR A SINGLE???? :thumbsup: on the real stuff.

Occasionally I dig out some of the more mainstream stuff and play it again, and yes, some of it still works for me.

Back home after a nice night out - live music - not soul but 60's ~pulled a couple of real goodies from the motown stable for you guys :

Brenda Hollaway ~ I've gotta find it ~ Tamla ~ Mid Tempo Heaven - if you like Ella Woods and Andy Fisher please, please get this - its pretty easy ! you wont be disappointed !

Jean Carn ~ If you dont know me... Motown ~ Words fail me -outstanding !

Social source share

so much Motown to choose from......

The Originals - Suspicion and Barbara McNeir - You're Gonna Love My Baby two of my faves.

Four Tops with Do What You Gotta Do just brilliant.

Temptations of the Ruffin/Kendricks era probably my all time fave group. Forever In My Heart just f*cking awesome :yes: Another fave is Loneliness Made Me Realise It's You That I Need blush.gif

Heard the Elgins - Heaven Must Have Sent You on t'radio other day, always liked that record ph34r.gif

Social source share

when I was at school I was one of them trying to get every tmg single out , and the early stateside , and the ep,s etc

( had hundreds of them all at one time in my teens and twenties )

and for me and by better half ( our tune ) is LITTLE DARLIN - MARVIN GAYE - tamla

and personally

AINT TOO PROUD TO BEG - TEMPS ( and GET READY )

TEARS OF A CLOWN - SMOKEY ( and GOING TO A GO GO )

ONE WAY OUT - MARTHA REEVES

SUSPICION - ORIGINALS

THESE THINGS WILL KEEP ME LOVING YOU - VELVELETTES

HEAVEN MUST HAVE SENT YOU/STAY IN MY LONELY ARMS - ELGINS

I`VE BEEN BLESSED - BOBBY TAYLOR

EDWIN STARR - I WANT MY BABY BACK

CONTOURS - FIRST I LOOK AT THE PURSE

SAME OLD SONG and/or SOMETHING ABOUT YOU - 4 TOPS

THIS OLD HEART OF MINE - TAMMI TERRELL - motown

it was an easy progression from motown , stax , atlantic , sue and thousands of other records into northern soul , and imports + bootlegs

( ralph`s records , spin inn and rare records etc , all in manchester , and places like selectadisk etc ie:- mail order)

Edited by soundsOKEH
Social source share

A song at played work has been driving my daughter nuts, she really likes it and said to me she thought it was northern soul but all she could remember was the words I love you. I tried in vain to find out and played her loads of stuff, then today she rang and said she found out what it is.Turns out its The Isley Brothers - This old heart of mine ph34r.gif

This is the finest record ever to be made, full stop! The finest record never to be made (pressed) is the Velv's - Let Love Live, followed by Suspicion.

Social source share

Another cheap as chips track is Martha & The Vandellas--What Am I Gonna Do Without You---Gordy, the only drawback is it just does'nt seem to get going until later on in the song but if you hear the opening bars the hairs on the back of your neck will be severely erect amongst other parts of the body whistling.gif:yes::yes:thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Nearly anything by The Miracles...and lots of Smokey stuff on his own too. Two that I can think of at the moment (hundreds obviously) that make me smile are That's what love is made of, If your mother only knew and , on his own, Ever had a dream... whistling.gif

Social source share

Spinners - sweet thing one of the best motown dancers ever

You're a man of taste. Probably the best Motown record ever. Was playing it this morning. Still gives me shimmers 35 years after I first heard it. Just one thing though; if you're spinning it off CD, try and kick it into mono; the stereo mix spoils it.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Marvelettes - Goddess of love

Bobby Tylor - Taylor made soul ( the whole lp)

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

No getting away from it .... there are some fantastic Motown tracks that really should get played more often.

VELVELETTES - BIRD IN THE HAND - VIP

FANTASTIC FOUR - PIN POINT IT DOWN / FALLING IN LOVE AGAIN - SOUL

MARV JOHNSON - I MISS YOU (HOW I MISS YOU) / JUST THE WAY YOU ARE - GORDY

MONITORS - TIME IS PASSING BY - SOUL

plus album tracks .....

EDWIN STARR - 24 HOURS TO FIND MY BABY - GORDY - "25 MILES" LP

FOUR TOPS & SUPREMES - BUILD MY WHOLE WORLD AROUND YOU / LOSE THIS DREAM /

DON'T YOU LOVE ME JUST A LITTLE HONEY - TAMLA MOTOWN - "DYNAMITE"LP

MONITORS - SHARE A LITTLE LOVE / CUP OF HAPPINESS - VIP - "GREETINGS" LP

and unissued tracks ....

KIM WESTON - AFTER THE RAIN

LOLLIPOPS - LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE BOY

and rightly so ...... !!

even MARTHA & VANDELLAS - NOWHERE TO RUN ........... i think this is a fantastic bit of soul!!

Social source share

Spinners - sweet thing one of the best motown dancers ever

Agreed, great memories of my early days at Clouds, Edinburgh, watching Jolly throw himself round the dance floor to that, I thought I will dance as well as that one day (although I never quite managed as my fellow countryman will no doubt point out to me whistling.gifthumbsup.gif )

Big Wheels of Motown compilation really started my Northern interest and have always had a soft spot for it, thing is take all these genres that are on the Northern scene these days, and you will find an example of it on Motown, but for the standard 4/4 classic sound it can't be beaten. Said on last thread that isley Bros - TOHOM is the Magnetics of Motown, may not be rare in quantity but very rare in quality.

Is it just my imagination or do most of the uptempo Motown sounds have a unique vocal style, where the vocalist barely takes a breath and the lyrics are almost spat out continuously, something I noticed but never get round to comparing!!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Kim Weston ~ Helpless

:(:D:(:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Have a good one,

John

Had a bit of a dig today and discovered a few of those popular Motown Compilation Albums

MOTOWN CHARTBUSTERS VOLUMES 3,4,5,6

BRITISH MOTOWN CHARTBUSTERS VOL 2 & BRITISH MOTOWN CHARTBUSTERS

MOTOWN SUPER MIXES VOL.2

MOTOWN GOLD (WHO DID'NT BUY THIS :lol: )

have'nt played these for some time so guess I could give them a spin, memories :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert