Bradford Market

Currently working in Bradford. I was early yesterday so thought I'd wander round John Street Market and have a nostalgia trip..No matter how hard I tried and wished as I turned the corner...the stall wasnt there anymore!! Thats my faith in all prayers and positive thought principles out the window..I really wished hard as well!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Currently working in Bradford. I was early yesterday so thought I'd wander round John Street Market and have a nostalgia trip..No matter how hard I tried and wished as I turned the corner...the stall wasnt there anymore!! Thats my faith in all prayers and positive thought principles out the window..I really wished hard as well!

You and hundreds of others Pete. Those really were the days ay? Nip into Bradford for a couple of hours and come back with handfuls of brilliant records which are pretty much all worth hundreds of times what we paid for 'em back then. Can't believe we were so lucky really......

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I know..it was a pretty strange experience really. No matter when you went there was always somebody you knew there..yourself, Kegsy, Pat Brady..I remember coming away with a copy of the Triumphs on Verve..took it down the Central that same night and Kim Dent dropped it and broke it! No matter, I'll go and get another on Monday!!!

Social source share

I know..it was a pretty strange experience really. No matter when you went there was always somebody you knew there..yourself, Kegsy, Pat Brady..I remember coming away with a copy of the Triumphs on Verve..took it down the Central that same night and Kim Dent dropped it and broke it! No matter, I'll go and get another on Monday!!!

Kim Dent, now he was a lunatic :D

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Yeah there and the stall in the Merrion Market in Leeds. Used to get loads from there, all the 'Verve' stuff. Was it called 'Geroles' or was that only in Domestic Street, Holbeck? where I found 6 copies of the 'Shakers - One wonderful moment' for 20p each and sold them for £20 each at the 'Torch' on the same night, £20 then being the equivalent of what? £100-150 now?

Ah Good daze! :-)

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Pete do you remember Allans records in eccleshill run by Ivor Allan the coloured guy? our Rob and i used to go there often, also used to go to Ralphs records in Deansgate manchester. Even used to get records from Kingsley Harrison a west indian guy who used to have a record shop in fartown Huddersfield,mainly dealt in reggae but also did a few soul sounds.He used to dj in Harrogate and Scarboro. Regards Fred

Edited by Mr Fred
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Hi Jim,

Ralph's had a second shop on deansgate,pretty certain I used to go in there in the 70's

hiya mick, i remember barrys record rendevouz which was off deansgate, they had all the latest pressings in the window, a kidcalled tommy worked in there who was clued up.

Social source share

Hi Pete do you remember Allans records in eccleshill run by Ivor Allan the coloured guy? our Rob and i used to go there often, also used to go to Ralphs records in Deansgate manchester. Even used to get records from Kingsley Harrison a west indian guy who used to have a record shop in fartown Huddersfield,mainly dealt in reggae but also did a few soul sounds.He used to dj in Harrogate and Scarboro. Regards Fred

Must have been back in the 17th Century - or did you mean to say Black, Afro-British or Afro-Caribbean?

Edited by Jhsoulnotts
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Don't recall Barry's,there was rare records and hime & addison on John Dalton Street

yes mate, hime and addison was advertised in blues and soul as barrys record rendevouz,, then they moved to a newer shop just round the corner.

Social source share

Must have been back in the 17th Century - or did you mean to say Black, Afro-British or Afro-Caribbean?

Was back in the 70's and both were black , i think both originated from the West Indies as we used to call them now better known as the caribbean. regards

Edited by Mr Fred
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!