A "modern" Choon Question

Chris L

MAGIC NIGHT If You And I Had Never Met, I assume a US recording ? Issued on Roulette in the US and PYE in the UK. How much do they go for and what's it best (for resale should that be necessary) to get on US or UK ?

Recorded in 1975 , Sounds like a 80s for sure.................

thanks

Social source share

I have had 2 of these. My first one was on normal Roulette, which I paid about £12 5 years ago. It had an edge crack but played ok.

I replaced it with a demo which are quite common I believe and I paid the same for that and sold my cracked one for about £8, Both bought on the bay.

I think that for resale the US Demo is your best bet although not a pricey item, saying that it's a matter of preference as many would prefer the British copy.

Edited by Steve Luigi
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It was recorded in the US, it's the same group as the Magic Touch on Roulette. It's actually a White group from NY, same guys as Vito and the Salutations. The Magic Touch record came out in '73, it charted low but charted on the Billboard R&B charts. I think they changed their name to "Magic Night" on the followup 45, probably because of the conflict with the female Magic Touch that did "Step into my world". The Magic Night 45 came out in '74, probably early '74

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It was recorded in the US, it's the same group as the Magic Touch on Roulette. It's actually a White group from NY, same guys as Vito and the Salutations. The Magic Touch record came out in '73, it charted low but charted on the Billboard R&B charts. I think they changed their name to "Magic Night" on the followup 45, probably because of the conflict with the female Magic Touch that did "Step into my world". The Magic Night 45 came out in '74, probably early '74

Thanks for the info, looks like I've found me a UK PYE copy........................

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Looks like I found me a UK PYE copy, interesting to see the US issues, two styles of Roulette label. The traditional " red and yellow and the newer plain red label, plus two types of demos, one white and the other like an issue but with DJ Copy printed on it.

post-4408-0-93155800-1339406288_thumb.jppost-4408-0-67110900-1339406293_thumb.jp

post-4408-0-91267600-1339406299_thumb.jppost-4408-0-31179600-1339406308_thumb.jp

post-4408-0-64614700-1339406314_thumb.jp

Social source share

plus two types of demos, one white and the other like an issue but with DJ Copy printed on it.

The demos I've had of this had the white label on the mono side and the orange label on the stereo side as per your pictures above.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Looks like I found me a UK PYE copy, interesting to see the US issues, two styles of Roulette label. The traditional " red and yellow and the newer plain red label, plus two types of demos, one white and the other like an issue but with DJ Copy printed on it.

post-4408-0-93155800-1339406288_thumb.jppost-4408-0-67110900-1339406293_thumb.jp

post-4408-0-91267600-1339406299_thumb.jppost-4408-0-31179600-1339406308_thumb.jp

post-4408-0-64614700-1339406314_thumb.jp

I think there's only one style of US Roulette promo copy, you just have pictures of each side of it. One side is orange/red (stereo) and the other side is white (mono).

sorry if you're saying something different and I'm not understanding. Thanks.

Social source share

I think there's only one style of US Roulette promo copy, you just have pictures of each side of it. One side is orange/red (stereo) and the other side is white (mono).

sorry if you're saying something different and I'm not understanding. Thanks.

Makes perfect sense, the only white Roulette demos I had/have had a thick black broken line going round the label.

Social source share

From an aesthetic point of view the multi coloured US issue is the one to have IMO. UK Pye release might be the rarest but looks boring (again IMO).

BTW, Chris if you really think this sounds like an 80s recording you may need to have your hearing aid re-calibrated :wink:

Social source share

From an aesthetic point of view the multi coloured US issue is the one to have IMO. UK Pye release might be the rarest but looks boring (again IMO).

Yes, they are good looking aren't they ?

BTW, Chris if you really think this sounds like an 80s recording you may need to have your hearing aid re-calibrated :wink:

Speak up I can't hear you ! :D

Social source share

I'd say that's about right Dave, it got plays on the US release first, Blackpool Mecca first, plus I heard it more at Samanthas in Sheffield via John Vincent, but it didn't really 'catch on' at the time so slowly stopped getting plays. Then it was released on Pye - I've no idea why they went for the instrumental side though instead of the vocal.

Unless someone thought they were more in vogue at the time?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!