Doctor Love V Dr Love

hi all, recently picked up the whispers version on dore, which to be totally honest i had never heard or knew there

was a earlier version. ive got bobby sheen on capitol which is still up there as a firm fav of mine.

ive played both back to back and to be honest imho i dont think theres much between them with the whispers rawer

and more backing and bobby sheen more polished...

so what do you think - the whispers or bobby sheen??

which one is the most sought? the whispers in my eyes as i had never heard or seen it

current values and any other info?

also makes you think why booby sheen got a uk release and the whispers didnt?

and finally also heard a diff album version of the whispers which isnt a patch on original 66 release

looking forward to any feedback

regards

russ

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

in my opinion the whispers is significantly better as it's a vocal harmony record. the bobby sheen also sounds more "pop" to me in general via the arrangement. i probably have a different perspective than northern collectors, bobby sheen might be significantly better as a northern record but I wouldn't know.

I also think Walter Scott's lead on this is significantly better than Sheen's, even though I do really like "something new to do".

The alternate version of Whispers Dr. Love that you heard was probably from their LP where this one engineer put horrible synth bass over the original track and messed with it in other ways. It wasn't a rerecording. It was later messed with more (I think) on a CD reissue.

Social source share

hi Russ,

Sounds like you had a blast at Caliente....

Whispers for me (BS was traditionally viewed as more dance floor friendly), unless I am talking British in which case a nice red and white demo of Bobby Sheen trumps all.

Whispers not expensive, but most of their stuff on Dore was pretty good.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

hi Russ,

Sounds like you had a blast at Caliente....

Whispers for me (BS was traditionally viewed as more dance floor friendly), unless I am talking British in which case a nice red and white demo of Bobby Sheen trumps all.

Whispers not expensive, but most of their stuff on Dore was pretty good.

yes was a blast! steve, i presume karen filled you in lol

have had a couple of other whispers dore 45s over the years, but like i have stated didnt know or have heard the dr love version, whilst thinking

what to bid on this 45 i tracked through popsike, collector frenzy, googled etc and to be fair there isnt many dr love 45s showing against the

other whispers releases, which makes me think its not that easy? to get a decent copy anyway which most that are showing are vg or worse.

anyway got it at what i thought was a alright price for such a good quality record which im sure would go down really well with a few wondering who

it is......

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert