Are These Commonly Known Songs By Uk Crowds?

i will be doing a small slot at a northern/club soul night in England next saturday, and it will be my first time DJing in england. the person who is having me spin said "play some newies, but also play stuff people know". i want to play to the crowd/event (in a town called barrow) - but honestly don't know what records are commonly known over there... will people know these songs? are they played to death? any comments or advice? i am friends with they guy running it and don't want to let the side down!

some things i am not sure about:

-dionne warwick - you can have him (scepter)

-leroy horne - don't come back (pompeii)

-darlettes - til i fell in love (shell)

-betty harris - trouble with my lover (sansu)

-teacho/students chills and fever (okeh)

-della reese - never my love (abc)

-jennie rae - to love (mgm)

-diamond joe - wait a minute baby (sansu)

-honey duo twins - comeback baby (yambo)

-lullabyes - you touch me (dimension)

-dean francis - tippin (hillside)

...and two gospel numbers...

-gospel ambassadors - cleansing power (halo)

-alston singers - i'm holding on (cobra)

Social source share

i will be doing a small slot at a northern/club soul night in England next saturday, and it will be my first time DJing in england. the person who is having me spin said "play some newies, but also play stuff people know". i want to play to the crowd/event (in a town called barrow) - but honestly don't know what records are commonly known over there... will people know these songs? are they played to death? any comments or advice? i am friends with they guy running it and don't want to let the side down!

some things i am not sure about:

-dionne warwick - you can have him (scepter)

-leroy horne - don't come back (pompeii)

-darlettes - til i fell in love (shell)

-betty harris - trouble with my lover (sansu)

-teacho/students chills and fever (okeh)

-della reese - never my love (abc)

-jennie rae - to love (mgm)

-diamond joe - wait a minute baby (sansu)

-honey duo twins - comeback baby (yambo)

-lullabyes - you touch me (dimension)

-dean francis - tippin (hillside)

...and two gospel numbers...

-gospel ambassadors - cleansing power (halo)

-alston singers - i'm holding on (cobra)

Hi LJ,one or two known of course.Della Reese,popcorn/northern/rnb?..Dean Francis nice bit o funky NS..Diamond Joe nice track...make em av it.!!!

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Mr.Grumpy :lol:

I wish i didnt have to be Kev but open mindedness to lesser known tunes on the northern scene, well lets just say, the NS crowd in general are not reknowned for it nowadays, it'd probably take 3 years to break Cecil Washington or even Frank Wilson were they discovered today!

Social source share

Most of the above stuff is more mod orientated I would have thought.You can't even get away with underplayed oldies....its got to be obvious stuff.If he's playing in a cellar bar this stuff might work but I doubt it would in a big venue with a sprung dancefloor.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL Some nice records in my humble opinion, although I understand the feedback, it would be a shame if you drew an opinion that SOULSOURCE is about just elite rare records, or Modern SOUL? if you believe they are collectible, and as such by asking the question, you do! intern there are many people in the UK that would like tour titles, and people who would dance to them, so it comes down to taste, however they are not what I would call out right dancers myself, but I do not dance anymore? KEEP THE FAITH, :) DAVE
Social source share

Thanks all. Like I said, people there ended up being super cool. I was on fairly early in the evening (it started in the afternoon), so luckily there wasn't a raging dance floor for me to "kill" (but I probably would have with my stuff!)

The funny thing is, as an American (and as "Boba" has also said on this forum), I really have no idea what northern soul really is. Every time we discussed a record, they would say "nice tune (choon), but not really northern". Club soul, or twisted wheel classic, or R&B, or popcorn, or just too obscure!

But all were very kind .....I think people only like to dance to songs they know by heart!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!